[Support] d8sychain - MediaWiki

@KDP The log looks normal. I don't see that it is trying to serve any pages. Example, after the last line in your log file should be followed with something like this:

{"log":"- -  19/Oct/2020:03:40:00 +0000 \"GET /Main_Page\" 200\n","stream":"stderr","time":"2020-10-19T03:40:01.934684746Z"}
{"log":"- -  19/Oct/2020:03:40:01 +0000 \"GET /load.php\" 200\n","stream":"stderr","time":"2020-10-19T03:40:02.644460091Z"}
{"log":"- -  19/Oct/2020:03:40:01 +0000 \"GET /load.php\" 200\n","stream":"stderr","time":"2020-10-19T03:40:08.060153582Z"}
{"log":"- -  19/Oct/2020:03:40:08 +0000 \"GET /load.php\" 200\n","stream":"stderr","time":"2020-10-19T03:40:08.771861407Z"}

Might need to look at the NGINX log file also. Side note, if you are not to invested into this docker yet, you might want to try a different vision 

d8sychain/mediawiki:edge

https://github.com/d8sychain/docker-mediawiki/tree/edge

There are quite a few improvements to it vs d8sychain/mediawiki:latest. I never merged with 'latest' because basically I never finished updating the documentation that goes along with it.  

Edited by d8sychain
typo

Looks like I might need to brush the dust off of the project, make some changes and put out a MW v1.35. It comes with some nice changes to the MW core.

The original application is written in JavaScript (using Node.js) and was operational on the Wikimedia cluster between Dec. 2012 and Dec. 2019. In 2019, Parsoid was ported to PHP, and the PHP version replaced the JS version on the Wikimedia cluster in Dec. 2019.

Parsoid (the PHP version) is natively bundled in MediaWiki 1.35, released in September 2020. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parsoid

Now that Parsoid has been ported to PHP, Node.js is no longer needed and can be dropped from this docker. Also

MediaWiki 1.35 bundled the VisualEditor extension, which provides a visual editing experience as an alternative to the traditional source editor. It will not be necessary to setup a seperate instance of Parsoid, as it is built into MediaWiki core.

In addition SecureLinkFixer and TemplateData are bundled. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki_1.35#Bundled_extensions

MediaWiki 1.35 is the current stable long-term support release of MediaWiki and its end-of-life will be September 2023

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle

In addition Alpine 3.12 was released May 2020

Edited by d8sychain

This morning I have restarted the container about 10 times and its worked every time, which is unusual, so I cannot get you a NGINX log.

If you believe that the "edge" version is more stable I am more than happy to try it. Does this mean I will lose all my current pages? If so that is not a huge deal as I only have about 20 or so and can simply copy them into text documents to paste into the new version. I am just looking for stability at this point (and a working email function).

I just finished copying all my pages to text documents to paste over to the new wiki. I deleted and cleared the data from the old docker and reinstalled using "edge". Email seems to be working again. I have also restarted the docker a few times and it connects properly every time so far. I am about to start putting my pages back in and will let you know if I experience any future problems. Thanks for your time.

@KDP I realize it might be a little late for this, but MW has an Export pages and Import pages feature. They're listed under 'Special pages'. You can export pages, modules, ect as a XML file and then import it to a different wiki.

You can export the text and editing history of a particular page or set of pages wrapped in some XML. This can be imported into another wiki using MediaWiki via the import page. Http://Yourwiki.com/Special:Export

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
On 10/19/2020 at 3:52 PM, d8sychain said:

Looks like I might need to brush the dust off of the project, make some changes and put out a MW v1.35. It comes with some nice changes to the MW core.

Now that Parsoid has been ported to PHP, Node.js is no longer needed and can be dropped from this docker. Also

MediaWiki 1.35 is the current stable long-term support release of MediaWiki and its end-of-life will be September 2023

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle

In addition Alpine 3.12 was released May 2020

I'll be watching this with interest.

I tried installing the MobileFrontend extension, and Minerva Neue skin on the Edge package and got errors about not supporting version 1.33.4. 

2021/01/03 13:15:00 [error] 469#469: *176 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught ExtensionDependencyError: MinervaNeue is not compatible with the current MediaWiki core (version 1.33.4), it requires: >= 1.36.0.
MobileFrontend is not compatible with the current MediaWiki core (version 1.33.4), it requires: >= 1.36.0.

Despite mentioning that most skins have backwards compatibility neither the Master or 1.35 (latest stable MW release) support 1.33.4.

image.png.841764f3873f152bd4da092bc50663af.png

Thanks for your Community App @d8sychain. I appreciate your work!

@d8sychain Yeah I tried the plugin separately and got the same error about requiring MW core version 1.35 or 1.36 (extension=latest). I'm not sure how to download the old 1.33.4 version of that extension though. Either way I'm in no hurry with it. Just a minor annoyance to not have a good mobile UI. 

1 hour ago, EwanL said:

@d8sychain Yeah I tried the plugin separately and got the same error about requiring MW core version 1.35 or 1.36 (extension=latest). I'm not sure how to download the old 1.33.4 version of that extension though. Either way I'm in no hurry with it. Just a minor annoyance to not have a good mobile UI. 

I did a quick test and put MobileFrontend and the MinervaNeue skin on one of my 'production' wikis. It works with out any errors, however the skin doesn't seem to work correctly, as in, the page loads but any link/action doesn't respond. That could just be due to something not configured, I didn't look that deeply into it. I can say that the mobile Timeless skin works as far as viewing pages but you can't edit.

With all of that being said. I can walk you through getting the extension and skin loaded if you want. (Saving myself from explaining each step incase you're not still interested😁. If you are though, I'll gladly help you.) 

Edited by d8sychain
typo
2 minutes ago, EwanL said:

I'd love the walkthrough for the extension if you were able to get it working with your unRaid setup :) 

We can probably skip the skin though if it isn't needed for the extension to work. 

From the MediaWiki MobileFrontend extension page (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend)

The following skins are compatible with MobileFrontend:

Skin:Minerva Neue (stable, default on WMF wikis)

Skin:Vector (default desktop skin, uses an experimental responsive mode for mobile)

Skin:Timeless (experimental skin)

To start with, its probably best if you undo what you've tried so far. With out going into a step by step, what changes did you make and I'll try to advise the quickest/easiest way to undo them, unless you just want to yourself.

11 minutes ago, d8sychain said:

From the MediaWiki MobileFrontend extension page (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend)

The following skins are compatible with MobileFrontend:

Skin:Minerva Neue (stable, default on WMF wikis)

Skin:Vector (default desktop skin, uses an experimental responsive mode for mobile)

Skin:Timeless (experimental skin)

To start with, its probably best if you undo what you've tried so far. With out going into a step by step, what changes did you make and I'll try to advise the quickest/easiest way to undo them, unless you just want to yourself.

I followed the installation instructions for the Skin: 

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Skin:Minerva_Neue

Installation[edit source]

Download and place the file(s) in a directory called MinervaNeue in your skins/ folder.

Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:

wfLoadSkin( 'MinervaNeue' ); $wgDefaultSkin = 'minerva';

and the extension, https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:MobileFrontend

Manual installation

Download and place the file(s) in a directory called MobileFrontend in your extensions/ folder.

Add the following code at the bottom of your LocalSettings.php:

wfLoadExtension( 'MobileFrontend' );

If necessary configure at your convenience

Done – Navigate to Special:Version on your wiki to verify that the extension is successfully installed.

I tried manually installing both the 1.35 and 'latest' versions for both skin and extension, including modifying the LocalSettings.php to include the wfLoadSkin/Extension lines. 

When i tried accessing the wiki using the local IP, or via a reverse proxy (which otherwise works when i comment out the wfLoad lines) i get a 500 error in chrome and firefox. 

LocalSettings.php looks like: 

image.thumb.png.0885b1d69993707f661e1cc6b2591337.png

@EwanL Fixing the extension will be easy 😁

1) On the UnRaid UI go to the Docker page and click the icon for the MediaWiki docker, then click Console

2) Type 'bash' enter, then 'maintenance' enter

image.png.44829049ca69f1ee1770891d318ae0b0.png

then you should see this:

image.png.519013f63bed908924e8e110161fd3bf.png

BTW: Feel free to make a backup before continuing.

3) You want to Option: 1) Extension Manager and then Option: 3) Remove Extension

4) Find the MobileFrontend extension in the list and enter the number for it then press enter again to skip Verbose (done, this removes all the files and any lines in the LocalSettings.php that contain the extension)

5) Choose Option: 1) Add wfLoadExtension Type

6) Enter the extension name 'MobileFrontend' (must be typed/enter just as it is on the extension page case sensitive)

7) Configure the extension according to the extension's instructions (you can probably skip this since that should have previously be done and should still be there)

And that's it for the extension, this will get the branch version that matches what you are using e.g. 1.33 and include the 'wfLoadExtension( 'MobileFrontend' );' in the LocalSettings.php

Now for the hard part, the skin.

(It's on my todo list to make scripts to automate managing skins, but at the time that I write all of the scripts for the MediaWiki Maintenance utility I didn't care about skins, just extensions.)

So the MinervaNeue skin version that you need can be found here https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/mediawiki/skins/MinervaNeue/+/refs/heads/REL1_33

1) Go to the folder for the MinervaNeue e.g. appdata/mediawiki/www/mediawiki/skins/MinervaNeue

2) Delete all of the folders contents

3) Download this: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/mediawiki/skins/MinervaNeue/+archive/refs/heads/REL1_33.tar.gz

4) Extract the tar to the MinervaNeue folder

5) Configure the skin according to the extension's instructions (you can probably skip this since that should have previously be done and should still be there)

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

• Thanks 1

image.png.d8c8640a5160accdcf3cd553550d8c9b.png

BTW to everyone,

The MediaWiki Maintenance utility has be in d8sychain/mediawiki:edge since it was published. The current 'Edge' version (2020-02-19 v1.33.2-db8 yep almost be a year) is considered finalized as far as I'm concerned. The only reason I never merged it into 'Latest' was because I never finished all of the documentation explaining the added features and their instructions and updating any instructions that may have changed.

From SSH terminal, login to UnRaid, then 'docker exec -it docker name /bin/bash' then 'maintenance'

or

On the UnRaid UI go to the Docker page and click the icon for the MediaWiki docker, then click Console, type 'bash', then 'maintenance'

Highlights for v1.33.2-db8:

Bumping to Alpine v3.11 (lsiobase/nginx:3.11)

Added OPTION to add MariaDB(MySQL) built into the container, providing a one-container-does-all, or you can run a separate MariaDB(MySQL) server (NEW FEATURE)

MediaWiki Maintenance CLI Menu (NEW FEATURE)

ExtensionManager (ENHANCED FEATURE)

Backup functions (NEW FEATURE)

Database functions (NEW FEATURE)

Services functions (NEW FEATURE)

MediaWiki file upload, logo, favicon settings changed

see Change Log for details

Edited by d8sychain
2 hours ago, d8sychain said:

@EwanL Fixing the extension will be easy 😁

1) On the UnRaid UI go to the Docker page and click the icon for the MediaWiki docker, then click Console

2) Type 'bash' enter, then 'maintenance' enter

then you should see this:

BTW: Feel free to make a backup before continuing.

3) You want to Option: 1) Extension Manager and then Option: 3) Remove Extension

4) Find the MobileFrontend extension in the list and enter the number for it then press enter again to skip Verbose (done, this removes all the files and any lines in the LocalSettings.php that contain the extension)

5) Choose Option: 1) Add wfLoadExtension Type

6) Enter the extension name 'MobileFrontend' (must be typed/enter just as it is on the extension page case sensitive)

7) Configure the extension according to the extension's instructions (you can probably skip this since that should have previously be done and should still be there)

And that's it for the extension, this will get the branch version that matches what you are using e.g. 1.33 and include the 'wfLoadExtension( 'MobileFrontend' );' in the LocalSettings.php

Now for the hard part, the skin.

(It's on my todo list to make scripts to automate managing skins, but at the time that I write all of the scripts for the MediaWiki Maintenance utility I didn't care about skins, just extensions.)

So the MinervaNeue skin version that you need can be found here https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/mediawiki/skins/MinervaNeue/+/refs/heads/REL1_33

1) Go to the folder for the MinervaNeue e.g. appdata/mediawiki/www/mediawiki/skins/MinervaNeue

2) Delete all of the folders contents

3) Download this: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/mediawiki/skins/MinervaNeue/+archive/refs/heads/REL1_33.tar.gz

4) Extract the tar to the MinervaNeue folder

5) Configure the skin according to the extension's instructions (you can probably skip this since that should have previously be done and should still be there)

Hopefully I didn't leave anything out.

Worked a treat. Thanks @d8sychain!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to, but given all of my other obligations at the moment, I unfortunately don't see it happening any time soon. Changing to a newer version of Mediawiki is the easy part, testing and debugging any issues is the time consuming part, and since it's at least stable, I'd rather not push updates and potentially break things without thorough testing.

A big change in Mediawiki a version or two ago was they ported the Visual Editor to PHP. Which means there are few things in the docker that is no longer needed to get Visual Editor working, and probably a few changes that need to be made. Testing takes time that I don't have to spare at the moment. Sorry everyone, one day... I haven't abandoned it.

On 11/18/2021 at 6:55 AM, d8sychain said:

I would like to, but given all of my other obligations at the moment, I unfortunately don't see it happening any time soon. Changing to a newer version of Mediawiki is the easy part, testing and debugging any issues is the time consuming part, and since it's at least stable, I'd rather not push updates and potentially break things without thorough testing.

A big change in Mediawiki a version or two ago was they ported the Visual Editor to PHP. Which means there are few things in the docker that is no longer needed to get Visual Editor working, and probably a few changes that need to be made. Testing takes time that I don't have to spare at the moment. Sorry everyone, one day... I haven't abandoned it.

I'm new to using this docker but I was also wondering about updating it to a more recent stable and secure release. Also having issues with mobilefrontend.

• 4 months later...

hi weard think i notices 
i set up an diffrent "File Uploads" Path since i did not want all media in "appdata"
But it is still in appdata and i kinda worrye if i fool around whit it more, the wiki what i alredy have, will breacke so just a note that somting went wrong

• 3 months later...

Hello, trying to install the PortableInfobox extension, anybody has experience with that?
Adding the files+line to load it in the LocalSettings_Extensions.php either doesn't seem to import the extension or causes a 500 HTTP error as the docker fails to start correctly.

I try it manually but putting the files from the github in the extension folder (appdata/mediawiki/www/mediawiki/extensions/PortableInfobox) and wfLoadExtension('PortableInfobox'); at the end of both LocalSettings.php/LocalSettings_Extensions.php (appdata/mediawiki/www/mediawiki)
If I add either nothing, a single "#", dual "##" or a "$" before end, doesn't help. (not that it should really for half of these)

I also tried the Extension Manager after removing the files+resetting the .php but it failed at finding the extension and downloading the file, it just added "wfLoadExtension('PortableInfobox');" in the LocalSetting.php.