No disks showing randomly, parity check okay but with read error and no log :(

Marino

Hi,

I have a problem on my unraid server (6.7.2). Sometimes when the server is longer not in use (some hours), there are shown no disks or an error message. Sadly I've no pictures from the messages which occurs today for the first time after parity check.. When this failure occurs the only working thing is a reboot via console.

I have pictures from the failure that no disk is shown. I have an error log somewhere.... ( a few weeks ago).

Today I completed my party check. Dual Parity + 8 Disks (3 and 4TB each). I've got an message:

Event: Unraid array errors
Subject: Warning [UNQUAD] - array has errors
Description: Array has 1 disk with read errors
Importance: warning

Parity 2 - WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-WCC4E0356488 (sde) (errors 168)

For me, a read error don't means that this was only a failure while parity check and was corrected. I logged in and there were no disks showing. Only a text (which I don't know anymore, my bad). There were notifications and with every notification I closed there was a placeholder in the same size so the other notifications weren't moving and then there was only a text, that this picture cannot be shown or so. I know I should have had taken a photo!

I restarted via console, because the reboot button was not working for this. After that I could read "Last check completed on Wednesday, 16.10.2019, 02:58 (today), finding 0 errors."

Downloading logs does not help, because the logs are starting after reboot.

Can I get the older logs? Could it be that the read error on parity 2 means that it was a "normal" error while checking parity which was corrected? Or do the parity 2 drive (newest on this system with around 1 year) have problems which smart don't show? (Extended test is running at this time)

What can I do to know what is happen here?

kind regards

Nils

PS:

The pictures are showing only the problem without notice.

PPS:

- I have an other unraid-server which does not have this problem. So it is not only a browser-problem.

- While checking SMART extended, all disks are spinning and a green light is shown. But only the parity 2 which is checked atm shows a temperature. The other disks are showing * as a temp.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-16 um 07.38.43.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-16 um 07.39.51.png

Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-16 um 07.38.34.png

Edited by Marino

Thank you. I didn't know there is a command for that in the CLI and thought I am not able to download, because I couldn't do this because it was not working in the GUI.

Syslog Server sounds good. I'll will enable that. 

Do you think there is something wrong with parity2 because of the message I've got? Or could this be a corrected error while parity check?

1 minute ago, Marino said:

has just finished without errors.

It did, but the errors were a disk problem:

Error 3 [2] occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 14448 hours (602 days + 0 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER -- ST COUNT  LBA_48  LH LM LL DV DC
  -- -- -- == -- == == == -- -- -- -- --
  40 -- 51 05 40 00 01 b0 76 60 c8 e0 00  Error: UNC 1344 sectors at LBA = 0x1b07660c8 = 7255515336

UNC @ LBA means a media error, power on hours 14448 so about 20H ago, these errors can be intermittent, but not a good sign, keep monitoring the disk, especially these attributes:

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR-K   200   200   051    -    47
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   ---R--   200   200   000    -    4

If they keep climbing you'll likely get more errors soon.

Thank you for clarifying this to me.

Thies attributes say nothing to me. I'll keep an eye on that. I don't like, that this is a parity disk. At least it is one of two. But would it be better, when I switch this from parity to data disk? 

Under two years are not very good for a disk IMO. :(

Seems to be that I have no luck at all with disks. My other server disabled one drive (12TB) and I don't know why. This sucks. Last year it was a bad cable, the year before that I had 4 bad 3TB disks...

I really have to learn to read this attributes. I haven't had the idea to look into this log, because SMART said the test was finished without a failure. I did not know that I even have this information.

Syslog server is prepared, but it has not written any file yet. I figure that out and next time with "no drives" I hopefully will have some logs for you.

Thank you for your help! I appreciate this!