Installing unraid on a windows 2012 server, best way to go about it?

je82

Hello,

I am interested in unraid but not compeltely sure how to go about installing it on my system.

I have a windows 2012 enterprise server that does plently of different jobs on my local network, i use it as a virtual host that hosts around 12 active virtual machines that run various applications on various operating systems. Right now i have all the fileserver stuff installed on the root OS (the 2012 server) but installing unraid i would want to move this stuff to a VM, or is it possible to use unraid directly in windows?

I have a feeling the hw passthrough won't work properly because i know these things almost never work as they should, especially on costumer hardware. I have a fairly strange setup where i use a x399 Prime motherrboard and a AMD Threadripper 2 processor with 32 threads, with 2x hdd sas > sata controllers SAS9340-8i.

To think this strange combination would work in a vm and pass thru is highly unlikely, therefor i would want to somehow run unraid directly in windows where the system has direct access to the hardware rather then running it in a VM, is it possible or does unraid have to be installed in it's own container with it's own OS?

What approach would you take to get going with unraid with my hardware/setup?

6 hours ago, je82 said:

Hello,

I am interested in unraid but not compeltely sure how to go about installing it on my system.

I have a windows 2012 enterprise server that does plently of different jobs on my local network, i use it as a virtual host that hosts around 12 active virtual machines that run various applications on various operating systems. Right now i have all the fileserver stuff installed on the root OS (the 2012 server) but installing unraid i would want to move this stuff to a VM, or is it possible to use unraid directly in windows?

I have a feeling the hw passthrough won't work properly because i know these things almost never work as they should, especially on costumer hardware. I have a fairly strange setup where i use a x399 Prime motherrboard and a AMD Threadripper 2 processor with 32 threads, with 2x hdd sas > sata controllers SAS9340-8i.

To think this strange combination would work in a vm and pass thru is highly unlikely, therefor i would want to somehow run unraid directly in windows where the system has direct access to the hardware rather then running it in a VM, is it possible or does unraid have to be installed in it's own container with it's own OS?

What approach would you take to get going with unraid with my hardware/setup?

Unraid itself is a collection of Linux programs and utilities. It's probably possible to get it running under the Linux subsystem for windows - but would be completely unsupported, and probably more trouble than just setting it up in a VM - which itself is a fair amount of work.

1 minute ago, Xaero said:

Unraid itself is a collection of Linux programs and utilities. It's probably possible to get it running under the Linux subsystem for windows - but would be completely unsupported, and probably more trouble than just setting it up in a VM - which itself is a fair amount of work.

Gotcha, yeah i realize now i may have to build a dedcated box for the storage solution. Thanks for the reply.