Upgrade recommendations?

patm95

Hello all.  Planning on updating my 8 year old hardware for something better.  Considering buying a used supermicro 24 bay server chassis, upgrading to a Ryzen with a nice graphics card, ect.  My biggest roadblock now is I am not familiar with what to look for in a supermicro chassis.  I know I should look for one with a SAS2 backplane.  Anything else I need to be aware of?  Are the power supplies that typically come with these ok?  I remember back in the day, we wanted a power supply with a single rail.  Any downsides I should be aware of?  Thanks!

Do you have a rack to put a 24 bay chassis into? If so, make sure whatever you buy comes with rails. These chassis usually come with dual power supplies and the standard ones are quite noisy. You can find the Q version of the power supplies that are a lot quieter. Inside the chassis they sometimes do not have molex connectors which can be a pain if you want to hook up power to a video card, so check for that. If you can, make sure the chassis comes with drive caddys, you can find them on eBay if it doesn't. SAS2 backplane is a must if you want to use larger than 3TB drives.

9 hours ago, ashman70 said:

Do you have a rack to put a 24 bay chassis into? If so, make sure whatever you buy comes with rails. These chassis usually come with dual power supplies and the standard ones are quite noisy. You can find the Q version of the power supplies that are a lot quieter. Inside the chassis they sometimes do not have molex connectors which can be a pain if you want to hook up power to a video card, so check for that. If you can, make sure the chassis comes with drive caddys, you can find them on eBay if it doesn't. SAS2 backplane is a must if you want to use larger than 3TB drives.

I don't have a rack, but am considering getting one.  Thank you for the advice.  Do you think this is a good buy?  https://www.theserverstore.com/Supermicro-4U-BAREBONE-Server-BPN-SAS2-846EL1-24x-Trays-2x-PS-W-Rails_p_922.html

I suppose I could buy this, upgrade the power supply then basically build my PC.