Remote backup to another Unraid over the internet?

dvaldez

Hey,

I don't know how practical this would be, but my buddy is setting up an Unraid server as well, and I was wondering if theres an opportunity to utilize eachother's servers as DR or offsite backups for a subset of our data.

I was thinking of something like, exchange the initial 'full' backup of an 'important files' using an external harddrive, then somehow managing incremental backups over the internet using some software

our upload speeds aren't great from our ISPs but I figure if we do the initial full locally, the incremental backups won't be that much data

any ideas for software that could facilitate this or why this is a terrible idea?

Edited by dvaldez

Sounds like a pretty classic use case--and a good idea to have an off-site backup.  I have been using Duplicati to do my backup to the cloud.  You should be able to work it by hosting maybe an FTP server on both ends.  It allows you to upload multiple chunks, do incremental backups, and encrypt so your buddy can't see your files. 

I use the Community App for it: 

Seems solid and i do something similar but also own the second unraid box. Use Syncovery (as used that before unraid) in a docker to backup nightly to my backup unraid server and secondly to backblaze b2 cloud storeage (before to crashplan using their own app but now became too slow and pricy for my use case )

I just use rsync over ssh to backup between two unRAID servers.  It runs unattended as a cron-scheduled user script and just works.  Been running flawlessly for over 18 months.  It's very fast, but, of course, Internet bandwidth would be a limiting factor.

I am not concerned about encryption, but, I suppose this could be done encrypted as well.