File Moving

Nelson

26 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Ok, I've got my array running, but I'm starting to think i"m really just dumb.

How do I move files onto my unraid server?

If your files are stored on a WIndows computer you export your shares via SMB (or NFS, AFP  for linux or MacOS) and they show up in Windows as Network shares. You can just copy files from the computer over to unRAID shares.  By the way SMB works better on MacOS than AFP these days.

If they are on an external drive, you can mount that drive through the Unassigned Devices plugin and copy the files to unRAID via the command line or a file manager docker container such as Krusader or Dolphin.

Where are the files you want on the unRAID server currently stored?

Edited by Hoopster
24 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

If your files are stored on a WIndows computer you export your shares via SMB (or NFS, AFP  for linux or MacOS) and they show up in Windows as Network shares. You can just copy files from the computer over to unRAID shares.  By the way SMB works better on MacOS than AFP these days.

If they are on an external drive, you can mount that drive through the Unassigned Devices plugin and copy the files to unRAID via the command line or a file manager docker container such as Krusader or Dolphin.

Where are the files you want on the unRAID server currently stored?

I have a bunch of User Shares, I was trying to follow the user videos but thats as far as I got.

How do i export my shares? I am using Windows 10

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

How do i export my shares? I am using Windows 10

First, enable the SMB protocol in Settings > SMB (Note: I am running the unRAID 6.8.0 release candidate.  The WSD and Enable NetBIOS options will not appear if you are on a prior version of unRAID). 

image.thumb.png.4179b7478f324f4202721915927c7c72.png

For the shares you want to be exported, click on the share name in the Shares tab and select the desired SMB security settings.

image.png.07f8d2d0150a966bf5a59cbfd0aa810f.png

The exported shares should then show up in Windows.

Note, depending on Windows settings, your server may or may not show up by name under Network in the File Explorer.  If the server name does not appear (there is an entire thread in this forums dedicated to such problems but it involves enabling SMB v1.0 on the Windows machine), you can always access it via IP address.

20 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

First, enable the SMB protocol in Settings > SMB (Note: I am running the unRAID 6.8.0 release candidate.  The WSD and Enable NetBIOS options will not appear if you are on a prior version of unRAID). 

image.thumb.png.4179b7478f324f4202721915927c7c72.png

For the shares you want to be exported, click on the share name in the Shares tab and select the desired SMB security settings.

image.png.07f8d2d0150a966bf5a59cbfd0aa810f.png

The exported shares should then show up in Windows.

Note, depending on Windows settings, your server may or may not show up by name under Network in the File Explorer.  If the server name does not appear (there is an entire thread in this forums dedicated to such problems but it involves enabling SMB v1.0 on the Windows machine), you can always access it via IP address.

Ok, I think i got it. I'm only getting speeds of 3 MB/s right now, but thats rpobably because im going from wifi in to powerline....

If I get a 10 gigabit switch and nics to match would that speed up windows access times and file transfers?

1 hour ago, Nelson said:

Ok, I think i got it. I'm only getting speeds of 3 MB/s right now, but thats rpobably because im going from wifi in to powerline....

If I get a 10 gigabit switch and nics to match would that speed up windows access times and file transfers?

That network topology will definitely limit your speeds somewhat; however, in a parity-protected array, write speeds are generally between 45-80 MB/s with mechanical disks on a Gigabit Ethernet network.  You can speed that up if you use reconstruct write (search for it in the forums) or if you use a large SSD cache drive and cache writes there first and move data to the array later with the mover. 

Some also opt to not use parity during the initial transfer of lots of data to the array.  Parity can be built after data transfer is complete.

The only time a 10 Gigabit network will really show its increased speed potential is if you are writing to a fast NVMe or similar SSD.  With mechanical disks a Gigabit network is enough.

Edited by Hoopster
32 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

That network topology will definitely limit your speeds somewhat; however, in a parity-protected array, write speeds are generally between 45-80 MB/s with mechanical disks on a Gigabit Ethernet network.  You can speed that up if you use reconstruct write (search for it in the forums) or if you use a large SSD cache drive and cache writes there first and move data to the array later with the mover. 

Some also opt to not use parity during the initial transfer of lots of data to the array.  Parity can be built after data transfer is complete.

The only time a 10 Gigabit network will really show its increased speed potential is if you are writing to a fast NVMe or similar SSD.  With mechanical disks a Gigabit network is enough.

ive got a 970  ssd for the cache. are all files written to the cache automatically?

either way, i cant really see the benefit of the ssd yet, but i need o save up a little more before getting a 10 gig switch and nics. looking at the mikrotik stuff, due to cost, but with nics and switch it will still set me back maybe 400 to 500, it will probably take me a couple weeks before i get it. plus im also sorta hoping that black friday sale will start soon so i can get it maybe a little cheaper?

ive got a 970  ssd for the cache. are all files written to the cache automatically?

No, write caching is defined per user share in the share settings. Even if you have the SSD defined in the array as the cache drive, nothing is written to it unless you configure shares to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

No, write caching is defined per user share in the share settings. Even if you have the SSD defined in the array as the cache drive, nothing is written to it unless you configure shares to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

when i was setting up my shares, i recall something saying use caching with a yes, no and something else. Im assuming saying yes would mean it would use caching?

1 minute ago, Hoopster said:

Enable help on a webGUI page to see the help text for each setting.  Here's the share "Use cache disk" help:

image.thumb.png.4223cf840dc150446bf840e66d9b2056.png

Yea, that seems to be the one i was thinking of. i should have already have it on yes on all shares. still gotta get that switch and nics before i can take advantage of it.

Thank you for all your help. You've more than solved my problem.