** Hackintosh ** Tips to make a bare metal MacOS


Leoyzen

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Would anyone know why a shutdown of the VM doesn't work - I have to force shutdown the VM. 

The monitors go blank - I think it does shutdown the network card cause I can't ping the VM anymore (I will double check this)

  • Trim is enabled 
  • i9 proc and passthrough Rx560.
  • Vendor_reset enabled
  • FL1000 and Fenvi passthrough. 

 

 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacOS BigSur</name>
  <uuid>232b9f1c-e0e3-4164-650f-f1ff33e3b380</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="linux.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>33554432</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>33554432</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='7'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='8'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='9'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-6.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/d45a00d5-3592-413a-82c3-786cd7f22254_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='8' threads='1'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' io='native' discard='unmap'/>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD/macos_disk.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata' rotation_rate='1'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0xa'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='2' port='0xb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='3' port='0xc'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x4'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='5' port='0x8'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='6' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='6' port='0x9'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='7' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='7' port='0xd'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x5'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:74:44:f9'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </interface>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <audio id='1' type='none'/>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/vbios/amd560.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x70' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='host,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-global'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

 

Edited by ab5g
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ab5g said:

Would anyone know why a shutdown of the VM doesn't work - I have to force shutdown the VM. 

The monitors go blank - I think it does shutdown the network card cause I can't ping the VM anymore (I will double check this)

  • Trim is enabled 
  • i9 proc and passthrough Rx560.
  • Vendor_reset enabled
  • FL1000 and Fenvi passthrough. 

 

 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacOS BigSur</name>
  <uuid>232b9f1c-e0e3-4164-650f-f1ff33e3b380</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="linux.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>33554432</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>33554432</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='7'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='8'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='9'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-6.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/d45a00d5-3592-413a-82c3-786cd7f22254_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='8' threads='1'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' io='native' discard='unmap'/>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD/macos_disk.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata' rotation_rate='1'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0xa'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='2' port='0xb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='3' port='0xc'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x4'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='5' port='0x8'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='6' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='6' port='0x9'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='7' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='7' port='0xd'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x5'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:74:44:f9'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </interface>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <audio id='1' type='none'/>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/vbios/amd560.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x70' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'/>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='host,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-global'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

 


Is the guest OS running properly or is performing something like installation / deep sleep states etc ? If latter, the shutdown signals doesn't gets responded - I dunno why. But it had been my experience 

Link to comment

Got my Monterey running with HD7950 - all is well so far. 



Working 
Graphics 
Sound

Wifi 
Bluetooth 
iMessage

Biggest issue
 

Whenever the OSX goes to sleep (esp deep sleep) thereby making the VM goes to paused state - its impossible to get it resume. Even if I manually make the VM resume - no display and OSX isn't responding to keyboard / mouse. 

How can I optimize power controls? 

Other optimizations 

Continuity & Airdrop is not working - is there a way to make it work with onboard wifi / bluetooth adaptors (X570 AORUS Elite wifi with intel chipset) 

Natively pass 3700X to guest and enable all features? I went through Pavo's GitHub but kinda have hard time adapting my Macinabox install to that. Can someone lend me a helping hand ?
 

Edited by jugaadkabaap
Link to comment
22 hours ago, jugaadkabaap said:


Is the guest OS running properly or is performing something like installation / deep sleep states etc ? If latter, the shutdown signals doesn't gets responded - I dunno why. But it had been my experience 

 

The guest is running properly. No installations or deep sleep. I'd let the vm run for a while then use the Mac menu to shut it down. 

Link to comment
On 4/24/2022 at 2:52 PM, ab5g said:

Would anyone know why a shutdown of the VM doesn't work - I have to force shutdown the VM

It never happen to me with mac os vms, but this can be very tricky to solve, it happens sometimes with my win 11 vm and still I don't understand why, the system is shutting down, black screen, but the vm is reporting in execution and needs a force stop.

Does it happen randomly or always with your vm?

You can try these, hope it helps:

1. try to lower the pc-q35 version, try for example 5.1, without ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off

2. try to shutdown from the guest

3. try to shutdown from unraid terminal:

virsh shutdown macosVMname

This uses acpi command

Or:

virsh shutdown macosVMname --mode agent

This uses qemu-guest-agent instead of acpi

Or:

virsh -c qemu:///system shutdown macosVMname

This last command seems working ok for my win11 vm, no more random hangs.

 

4. It can be related to hardware passthrough: you could try to remove all optional passed through hardware, add one at a time, and look at what it's causing the hang.

Link to comment
On 4/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, ghost82 said:

It never happen to me with mac os vms, but this can be very tricky to solve, it happens sometimes with my win 11 vm and still I don't understand why, the system is shutting down, black screen, but the vm is reporting in execution and needs a force stop.

Does it happen randomly or always with your vm?

You can try these, hope it helps:

1. try to lower the pc-q35 version, try for example 5.1, without ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off

2. try to shutdown from the guest

3. try to shutdown from unraid terminal:

virsh shutdown macosVMname

This uses acpi command

Or:

virsh shutdown macosVMname --mode agent

This uses qemu-guest-agent instead of acpi

Or:

virsh -c qemu:///system shutdown macosVMname

This last command seems working ok for my win11 vm, no more random hangs.

 

4. It can be related to hardware passthrough: you could try to remove all optional passed through hardware, add one at a time, and look at what it's causing the hang.

 

thank you as always for the suggestions. It's happening randomly for me. Sometimes the VM shuts down cleanly and sometimes it needs a force stop. I've always been shutting down the VM from inside the guest.  

I'll try the other methods you've suggested. Thank you !

Link to comment
3 hours ago, ab5g said:

 

thank you as always for the suggestions. It's happening randomly for me. Sometimes the VM shuts down cleanly and sometimes it needs a force stop. I've always been shutting down the VM from inside the guest.  

I'll try the other methods you've suggested. Thank you !

You can also try to add "-v" verbose boot argument in opencore config, so on shutdown you could see on screen, hopefully, if it's mac os that hangs..

Edited by ghost82
Link to comment
10 hours ago, ghost82 said:

You can also try to add "-v" verbose boot argument in opencore config, so on shutdown you could see on screen, hopefully, if it's mac os that hangs..

I have the verbose mode on. The screen turn off, the network adapter I think turns off - cause I am unable to ping the VM.  The VM though reports to be in execution (from the unraid UI) - I also have a power meter attached to the server and there I can see the server pulling in higher watts that when it would when the VM would be off. Which means unraid is correct in reporting the VM is in execution state. I will then go and force shut the VM and the power from the socket would come down to normal. 

Link to comment
On 4/29/2022 at 10:27 PM, ghost82 said:

You can also try to add "-v" verbose boot argument in opencore config, so on shutdown you could see on screen, hopefully, if it's mac os that hangs..

Do you mind sharing your config.plist ? I somehow managed to get sleep/wake to break. It worked perfectly in some earlier versions and now doesn't. My Ubuntu VM on the same hardware can sleep wake perfectly which makes me believe its something to do with my config.plist.

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2022 at 10:38 PM, ghost82 said:

It never happen to me with mac os vms, but this can be very tricky to solve, it happens sometimes with my win 11 vm and still I don't understand why, the system is shutting down, black screen, but the vm is reporting in execution and needs a force stop.

Does it happen randomly or always with your vm?

You can try these, hope it helps:

1. try to lower the pc-q35 version, try for example 5.1, without ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off

2. try to shutdown from the guest

3. try to shutdown from unraid terminal:

virsh shutdown macosVMname

This uses acpi command

Or:

virsh shutdown macosVMname --mode agent

This uses qemu-guest-agent instead of acpi

Or:

virsh -c qemu:///system shutdown macosVMname

This last command seems working ok for my win11 vm, no more random hangs.

 

4. It can be related to hardware passthrough: you could try to remove all optional passed through hardware, add one at a time, and look at what it's causing the hang.

I have narrowed the cause down to the AMD reset plugin. When I remove the plug-in, the sleep wake works fine. I have tweaked a few parameters in the BIOS and the config.plist but to no avail. The windows VM with the AMD reset plugin sleeps/wakes up fine. The Mac one is an issue.

One other thing, I see less power draw when using the AMD reset plug-in (booting the system ~20W difference and when it is sleeping ~10W difference).  So on one hand it is excellent but cannot get the VM to sleep/wake. Any ideas ?

 

P.S - I have an Rx560 (Polaris) - that 90% of the times is ok without the vendor reset but sometimes rebooting the VM leaves the card in a dirty state and requires the Unraid reboot. I'd prefer to have the vendor_reset on for the predictability.

 

Edited by ab5g
Link to comment
2 hours ago, ab5g said:

I have narrowed the cause down to the AMD reset plugin. When I remove the plug-in, the sleep wake works fine. I have tweaked a few parameters in the BIOS and the config.plist but to no avail. The windows VM with the AMD reset plugin sleeps/wakes up fine. The Mac one is an issue.

One other thing, I see less power draw when using the AMD reset plug-in (booting the system ~20W difference and when it is sleeping ~10W difference).  So on one hand it is excellent but cannot get the VM to sleep/wake. Any ideas ?

 

P.S - I have an Rx560 (Polaris) - that 90% of the times is ok without the vendor reset but sometimes rebooting the VM leaves the card in a dirty state and requires the Unraid reboot. I'd prefer to have the vendor_reset on for the predictability.

 

Nice that you found the issue, bad news that it probably hasn't an easy solution.

And probably you wont get help from the hackintosh community in general because they don't need any vendor reset since they're running bare metal.

I never had any amd gpu that needed vendor reset patch so unfortunately I cannot help too.

If I were you I would open an issue directly on github:

https://github.com/gnif/vendor-reset/issues

gnif was always nice and maybe he could have a look and maybe issue a patch, then it could be probably merged/updated into new unraid versions (if this happens I imagine it could take a lot of time).

If and when you open the issue, describe in details what's happening, provide logs, the syslog in unraid diagnostics, you will see some lines referencing the vendor reset patch.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 7:37 PM, ab5g said:

The windows VM with the AMD reset plugin sleeps/wakes up fine. The Mac one is an issue.

 

[snip]

 

P.S - I have an Rx560 (Polaris)

 

Hello,

 

I believe the culprit is Apple's Radeon driver for RX560 (aka Baffin) the last time I checked.

 

I'm wondering for people with RX580, RX5000 series, or RX6000 series, could your MacOS VM successfully wake up from guest sleep without kernel panic?

Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Short question: Is it now possible to run a MacOS VM based on ARM?

I saw a note in the change log of 6.10 that ARM support was added (experimentally) 

 

Or do I misunderstand that note?

 

 Thanks

Edited by Maddeen
Link to comment
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Maddeen said:

Is it now possible to run a MacOS VM based on ARM?

No because there is no bootloader able to run it and apple m1 arm cpu is proprietary, so qemu is not able to emulate it.

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

During WWDC 2022 the new Mac os 13.0 Ventura was presented and some hours later the first beta 1 was available for download.

The most interesting features for me are the ability to download security updates without downloading a traditional delta update (like in windows) and the new stage manager coupled with mission control for windows management.

 

There are good news and bad news: for my build only bad news :D

 

I was not able to complete a clean installation in qemu:

that's because, as far as I understood, during installation mac os requires avx+ instructions (user syncretic reported that there are more or less 1,680,140 AVX+ instructions in 172 files....quite a lot!), so all the old cpus without avx+ will not able to complete a clean installation (and this includes also my sandy bridge cpus :( ). At the current time I still don't know if avx2.0 is enough or not.

However there's some hope to be able to run a pre-installed image, I didn't test it, need to wait for one to be available online (or if someone succeeded to install it and want to share the preinstalled disk image he/she can contact me in private)..

Update: I want to try to replace the os.dmg in the preboot volume with that of a mac m1 (M1 Rosetta doesn't support AVX and that's why you can bypass the need of AVX2 for the kernel), then since sandy bridge supports avx1 the setup assistant should proceed...it seems that's how someone booted a mac pro with westmere cpu..will report back if it will work. <-- Not working, the setup proceeds a little bit further, then it hangs..

 

Older gpus than polaris wont work out of the box, apple removed the drivers.

 

Opencore is working and able to boot Ventura at the time of writing (it could be needed to set to false AvoidRuntimeDefrag, untill acidanthera fixes it --> fixed today 11/06/2022); some 'polishing' is still required obviously, we are still in early beta.

 

I'm reporting also that some users were able to install Ventura in qemu.

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.