```
```
touch /boot/config/plugins/unRAID6-ZnapZend/auto_boot_on
```

Then reboot. That should fix it. To test run the

```
znapzend --daemonize
```

command again after reboot and it should tell you it’s already running. 

It seems auto_boot_on doesn't autostart it as I had that, maybe ill just use user scripts to run znapzend --daemonize at boot

Edit: I added it to array startup via user script and it works!

Edited by Jclendineng
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Has someone find a solution to get the snapshots in windows shadow copy's with 6.12? Now the share's are configured unter the unraid gui "shares". Before i have configured them under the smb-extras.conf and there i have to put the following under each share:

vfs objects = shadow_copy2
shadow: snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
shadow: sort = desc
shadow: format = %Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S
shadow: localtime =  yes

But now because i have configured it under the unraid gui i can not make this options and i can not see the snapshots anymore in Windows 10. My Snapshots look like this:

image.thumb.png.08d4b45f7630c639b2165b024f013e90.png

Someone has an idea?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2023 at 3:39 AM, Ironcurtain said:

Has someone find a solution to get the snapshots in windows shadow copy's with 6.12? Now the share's are configured unter the unraid gui "shares". Before i have configured them under the smb-extras.conf and there i have to put the following under each share:

shadow: format = %Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S

But now because i have configured it under the unraid gui i can not make this options and i can not see the snapshots anymore in Windows 10. My Snapshots look like this:

image.thumb.png.08d4b45f7630c639b2165b024f013e90.png

Someone has an idea?

To what I have seen so far that has not been added for ZFS samba shares just yet.

So far my work around was to still use smb-extras.conf and not the shares created by the gui - just change your path in the config to map to the new location of where the ZFS pool is

Example:

[Storage]                                                                                                                                                           >
path = /mnt/storage
public = yes
browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
writeable = yes
read only = no
create mask = 0775
directory mask = 0775
shadow: format = zfs-auto-snap_%S-%Y-%m-%d-%H%M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/1/2023 at 8:29 PM, isvein said:

Have I understood it correctly that znapzend is zfs-replication build into an "easier" syntax and with build in scheduling and stuff?

Sort of.  But it combines all that and includes scheduling and it's all stored in the drive structure.  So it's quite a bit more really.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Does anyone know why I keep getting the following when I try to either list or export my config? Assume something isn't setup correctly

zLog must be specified at creation time!

I used the 

znapzend --logto=/var/log/znapzend.log --daemonize

when starting the daemon so not sure what log it's referring to?

Edited by davidfava

I don't understand why this has turned into such a steaming pile.  I looked into sanoid and syncoid out of desperation and it looks very complicated to set up.  Znapzend is running and starts at boot.  Yet it never runs a backup job.  Foundational stuff like this makes me want to jump ship from unraid.  Something in the zfs implementation from the unraid folks is what has messed it up.  If I didn't have a broken arm at the moment I think id just virtualise unraid and be done with it.  I mean they've actually never gotten this foundational stuff right, but plugins have usually filled the gaps.  That's not even possible now it seems.

Perhaps because dev pack and nerd pack are no longer available?

Edited by Marshalleq
4 hours ago, Marshalleq said:

I don't understand why this has turned into such a steaming pile.  I looked into sanoid and syncoid out of desperation and it looks very complicated to set up.  Znapzend is running and starts at boot.  Yet it never runs a backup job.  Foundational stuff like this makes me want to jump ship from unraid.  Something in the zfs implementation from the unraid folks is what has messed it up.  If I didn't have a broken arm at the moment I think id just virtualise unraid and be done with it.  I mean they've actually never gotten this foundational stuff right, but plugins have usually filled the gaps.  That's not even possible now it seems.

Perhaps because dev pack and nerd pack are no longer available?

I still have znapzend installed, but I ended up switching to Sanoid. I seen the video Spaceinvader One did and after that it's been setup once and forget. I recommand checking out Part A and Part B of his video to get you going.

But to make it simplified

1. Install Sanoid
  2. Setup Script under user scripts for each backup you want ( FYI: in this all you need to change the is "source_pool" and "source_dataset" under Source for snapshotting and/or replication )
  3. Setup custom cron job for task ( if you have mutiple sanoid tasks, make sure they are seperated by a few mins so they don't mess with each other when running - example "0 12 * * *", "5 12 * * *", ect ... )
  4. Run the task manually for the first time
  5. Done

Hope that helps.

P.S I'm on version 6.12.6 atm
P.S.S Nerd pack and Dev Pack kind of turned into Nerdtools, very similar but some things did change companred to the packages you could load that way. I still load the .txz plugins under the extra folder in my main flash drive for the ones I need.

Edited by JJJonesJr33
  • Like 1

Ive been grumpily playing with it.  I say grumpily because I really just want znapzend to work and a few things about Sanoid are pretty horrible.  Like it doesn't run in the background and you have to rely therefore on cron to run it in the background which makes it less capable and a little bizarre with how the cron aligns to the script schedule.  For example I want hourly and daily snapshots at the source and weekly monthly and yearly at the destination - cant be done.  Might be able to do it if I ditch space invaDERS script which honestly we shouldn't have to use it anyway, something to look into.  Could also do it using two scripts for one location which would be silly.  Don't like by default it snaps all child datasets either.  All in all it needs more time spent trying to make basic functionality work that should be baked into the os.  

I'm nursing a concussion at the moment, so it probably feels harder than it actually is.

Edited by Marshalleq

Just updating that for the parts that are working, it's definitely working better than znapzend.  In particular cleaning up old snapshots.  Thanks for the help, just gotta follow through and stop using space invaders script then I think from what Ive read it will give me everything I need.

• Like 1