Disk errors after power failure

Blacknd

I had a power outage a week ago , which caused a dirty shutdown of my unraid server.

I then noticed my cache drive and one of the storage disks were "unmountable: no file system"

In trying to troubleshoot the issue, but i ended up just reformatting the cache and storage disk. I'm not too worried about the data anyways.

I assumed the drive was failing, so i installed a 4TB WD Red, in preparation to discontinue use of the old seagate drives.

Now my other seagate storage drive is throwing alot of read errors and only 3 on the one i reformatted.

The cache drive is giving me this msg in the unraid GUI. Warning [TOWER] - udma crc error count is 181895626 TOSHIBA_MQ01ACF032_X3QLCRYVT (sdb)

But yet, the error count for the cache drive says 0 errors.

Are all these drives really dieing or am i missing something?

tower-diagnostics-20191020-1741.zip tower-smart-20191020-1303.zip

Disk1 has some pending and other issues. I would replace it.

Cache has a large number of reallocated. I would replace that one also.

You should see SMART warnings about those disks on the Dashboard.

Other disks SMART looks OK. Check connections, power and SATA, both ends, power splitters. Could be bad cables.

Why are you using these old and unreliable disks in your server and no parity? Do you really not care about any of this data?

On 10/20/2019 at 8:05 PM, trurl said:

Disk1 has some pending and other issues. I would replace it.

Cache has a large number of reallocated. I would replace that one also.

You should see SMART warnings about those disks on the Dashboard.

Other disks SMART looks OK. Check connections, power and SATA, both ends, power splitters. Could be bad cables.

Why are you using these old and unreliable disks in your server and no parity? Do you really not care about any of this data?

Most of the data is replaceable. I would prefer not to lose it, but no biggie either way. 

I built my original server 4 or 5 yrs ago and has pretty much been touch free the entire time. Basically it was only used as a Plex server.

I finally decided i wanted to upgrade unraid and had to upgrade hardware to something 64bit.

Scored a free pc from work and set up unraid and swapped my drives over. I knew the drives were old and actually surprised they lasted as long as they did.

I did try new SATA cables and checked other connections. Everything seemed good, but...i didn't have any errors on disk 1 until i swapped cables. I swapped the cables back and still get errors.

I threw in the the 4TB WD red drive which is brand new, in hopes to save some of the data. I have 2 more drives coming.

I'm starting to care more about my server now that i found the fun in it again. I'm finding more productive uses than just a Plex server.

UPS is on my list of things to get, along with a new case for easy upgrading.