Upgrading Hardware

So, I am currently running an R710 with 7 drives, 6 spinning 1 cache ssd.  I am looking to upgrade hardware within the next year or two to a SuperMicro device that supports 24-28 drives.  I will be buying the Pro version now, but when I installed the software, it looked like the key was based on a hardware signature.

If I purchase new hardware, do I ultimately need new licensing?

15 minutes ago, Jamesmct said:

So, I am currently running an R710 with 7 drives, 6 spinning 1 cache ssd.  I am looking to upgrade hardware within the next year or two to a SuperMicro device that supports 24-28 drives.  I will be buying the Pro version now, but when I installed the software, it looked like the key was based on a hardware signature.

No. You will not need to purchase a new license. 🙂

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Jamesmct said:

The license is tied to the GUID of the flash drive used to boot Unraid, not the hardware of the machine running Unraid.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Jamesmct said:

it looked like the key was based on a hardware signature

The licence key is associated with the GUID (globally unique identifier) of the flash drive from which unRAID boots.  Swapping out the flash drive for a different one requires the license key to be re-registered for the new flash drive, but, it does not require that you purchase a new license. 

No other hardware changes, other than adding more array drives than the current license allows, will affect the license.  Upgrading the license from Basic --> Plus --> Pro does involve paying an additional fee but it does not require you to purchase a new license at full price for the desired level.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 2