Do I really need a GPU for my new build?

xman111

Hey guys, just built a 3700x, 32gb server.   The 3700x doesn't have a GPU so wondering if i really need one.  My Asus 570 board boots without a graphics card so it will run headless no problem.

I have a GTX 1080 that i borrowed from my gaming computer to get it up and running.  I took it out and didn't notice any difference.   On my server, i use Plex but 99% of the time it is to one of my two Nvidia shields that direct play 4k content, no transcoding.   Also, i have a Windows 10 VM that is running Blue Iris and recording 7 1080p cams 24/7.   I didn't setup anything with the graphics card so i could be missing something but just wondering if it is worth spending a couple hundred on a card?  or just buy a $50 gt710 or something just for troubleshooting bootup issues, etc.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

pic.png

Edited by xman111

No, you don't need one. Unraid will run headless, as you've found out. You've also found out that you need a video output for setting up the BIOS and it can be useful in the future for troubleshooting, so a cheap card is worth considering. Whether you should spend considerably more on a more capable GPU depends on how you plan to use your server. From the information you've provided I would say no.