Cache drive reporting full when isn't

Hi,

Sorry for the vague title. Currently on 6.7.2. I have a 1TB SSD cache drive in my unraid server (upgraded several months ago from a 500gb that was filling up to quickly) and i've noticed recently that this one appears to be filling up stupidly quickly as well....

Problem is, the capacity doesn't seem to add up when i check the properties on the contents of the cache in windows...The only thing on there of substance is my plex metadata which comes to a whopping 200gb for some reason but the rest when all totalled up is less than 300gb (so say roughly 500gb total). I've tried running the mover and everything that should be moved has been moved yet, unraid is still reporting it being 90% full when it isn't.

Any ideas?

(thanks in advance!)

Edited by zapp8rannigan
16 hours ago, zapp8rannigan said:

Hi,

Sorry for the vague title. Currently on 6.7.2. I have a 1TB SSD cache drive in my unraid server (upgraded several months ago from a 500gb that was filling up to quickly) and i've noticed recently that this one appears to be filling up stupidly quickly as well....

Problem is, the capacity doesn't seem to add up when i check the properties on the contents of the cache in windows...The only thing on there of substance is my plex metadata which comes to a whopping 200gb for some reason but the rest when all totalled up is less than 300gb (so say roughly 500gb total). I've tried running the mover and everything that should be moved has been moved yet, unraid is still reporting it being 90% full when it isn't.

Any ideas?

(thanks in advance!)

How did you count your used size? Attaching diagnostics may help but it won't help if you have something quietly writing data to your drive.

Also, btrfs or xfs on the cache?

5 hours ago, testdasi said:

How did you count your used size?

folder properties on the share under windows, which i know probably isn't an accurate measure but I wasn't sure how else to check it...either way it doesn't seem to make sense, I feel like (outside of plex growing at least) I was downloading and storing more on my 500gig drive

5 hours ago, testdasi said:

Also, btrfs or xfs on the cache?

file system is btrfs

Added my diagnostics zip, but as you say worried its not going to help 

babs-diagnostics-20191023-1923.zip

On 10/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, zapp8rannigan said:

plex metadata which comes to a whopping 200gb 

1 hour ago, zapp8rannigan said:

folder properties on the share under windows, which i know probably isn't an accurate measure

Not even close under Windows when you have Plex.  Plex make very extensive use of symlinks, which basically take up no bytes, but windows will count them as the same size as the linked file.  EG, on my system on a 500 Gig SSD, my Plex folder if I take properties of it via Windows is about 800GB in size, but the actual size on the SSD is about 30Gig

In your case though,

/dev/sdb1       932G  845G   86G  91% /mnt/cache

you are using 845 GB total on the cache drive which makes me think that when you upgraded your cache drive size you copied the original via Windows (or rsync with inappropriate flags) that wound up ballooning the size of the appdata significantly

You can check the usage of each share by going to Shares and hittting Calculate and then see which share(s) have files on the drive.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Squid said:

In your case though,

/dev/sdb1       932G  845G   86G  91% /mnt/cache

you are using 845 GB total on the cache drive which makes me think that when you upgraded your cache drive size you copied the original via Windows (or rsync with inappropriate flags) that wound up ballooning the size of the appdata significantly

I think you might be on to something there...although I'm sure i used krusader/mc to copy the files back over to the new drive.
I guess i probably should of just used the shares and made them not cache? and then changed them back once the drive was installed.

Ok so just determining size now....seems it is right somehow my downloads (torrents) folder is 643GB and then my appdata is 226GB so yeah im doing something wrong with that I think. I might delete the thumbnails on plex, i very rarely use it. See how much that removes

as for my downloads I think thats my mistake theres more there than i realised. Really sorry for wasting everyones time! just gotta lay off the downloads for a bit!