Changing Share Name SOLVED

44 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

What is described in those posts is exactly what I tried. In the share I changed the name to "S" and when I clicked apply it reverted back to Disk 3 stating it is a non empty disk.

It looks like you may have to empty the share first by creating a new one, moving all the data to the new share (thus emptying the old share) and then deleting the old share. You cannot delete a share unless it is empty.

Curiously, you are not supposed to be able to name a share a "reserved" name such as disk1, disk2, disk3, etc.  However, it appears you named the share with a space in it 'disk 3' and that must have been acceptable.

Here is yet another post that suggest you can rename a share through the GUI while it still has content in it:

I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but, I have personally never renamed a share.

Perhaps someone will chime in here who has actually done it.

Edited by Hoopster

I just tried pulling the drive and run reconfig. Showed disk was deleted. rebooted with drive installed and configured my disks and of course it was disk 3 again and I still can't rename it. The last option  I can think of is to format a drive and plug it in then reconfig with a blank drive and hopefully be able to change the name then. If there is any other method that is less time consuming I would certianly appreciate any recommendations.

1 minute ago, tunetyme said:

I just tried pulling the drive and run reconfig. Showed disk was deleted. rebooted with drive installed and configured my disks and of course it was disk 3 again and I still can't rename it. The last option  I can think of is to format a drive and plug it in then reconfig with a blank drive and hopefully be able to change the name then. If there is any other method that is less time consuming I would certianly appreciate any recommendations.

Wait a minute.  Are you talking about user shares or disk shares?  Disk shares will always have the name/number of the disk, you can't rename those.  Post a screenshot of your shares screen.

Since a User Share is made up by amalgamating all folders of a given name across all drives, you can always go in at the command line level and rename the folder in question on the drives which contain it.  An alternative to the command line for doing something like this would be the Dolphin or Krusader dockers.

If you have enabled disk shares under Settings >> Global Share settings so you can see individual drives across the network you can do it that way as well.   Just a word of warning - if you enable disk shares never copy to/from a disk share and a User Share in the same command as this can lead to data loss.    Using just disk shares or just user shares in a command is safe.

if you use either of the above techniques then when you go back to the Shares tab the renamed user share should be there with default settings.

It is definitely user shares. After reading your recommended threads I think the best way is to format a blank disk and then delete the share.  My question is the share name on the disk itself and will it pop up when I reinstall the disk?  Yes I did name it disk 3 and it didn't have a problem with that. Perhaps they need to add disk with a space and number to the reserved list.

I am going to  prep a small 1 TB drive and put that in the disk 3 slot and try renaming that.  I will let you know the results.

BTW are you a Duke or North Carolina fan?

itimpi I have an old system that is in need of substantial upgrades.  I use it to store media files 20+ TB.  It was recommended awhile ago not to use dockers with my old Sempron CPU.  I still have a few old plugins but that's it.  In a nutshell this has been so reliable all these many years when I do need to do something like upgrade disks I have to retrain myself.  The bad part about that is sometimes I think I know what I am doing. Scary. Right now I am upgrading drives to 4 TB and already looking at economics of larger and fewer drives. The expense is that I maintain two full backups.  Next will be everything else.  

Yes I can see the individual drive across the network. I am not sure how your recommendations will work with the directory structure being "disk 3/S/DRAMA" creating "S/S/DRAMA".  Although I could probably move the drama directory up one level and the delete the other S directory

2 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

Yes I can see the individual drive across the network. I am not sure how your recommendations will work with the directory structure being "disk 3/S/DRAMA" creating "S/S/DRAMA".  Although I could probably move the drama directory up one level and the delete the other S directory

Moving files/folders when they stay on the same drive is very fast.

Note however that disk shares never contain a space in their name!   If you are seeing a share that starts with "disk 3" then that is NOT a disk share but is a User Share and there will be a folder with that name on one or more of your drives.

7 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

It was recommended awhile ago not to use dockers with my old Sempron CPU. 

Not sure why this recommendation assuming the system has sufficient RAM to run dockers.   Dockers are much lighter weight than running VMs and from a resource viewpoint are closer to plugins.   Maybe it was specific dockers?  I can see the Sempron not being much good at a CPU intensive task like transcoding for instance.

35 minutes ago, tunetyme said:

BTW are you a Duke or North Carolina fan?

Neither, really.  I live in the Western U.S.  Choosing between Duke and NC is situational; it depends on which one will suffer most from a loss 😁

They are usually both very good and I am sure the rest of the ACC wishes they would implode, which is not likely.

• tunetyme changed the title to Changing Share Name SOLVED