[Support] Nextcloudpi

This is a support thread for the Nextcloudpi Docker Container for unRaid, from the home page:
"NextCloudPi is a Nextcloud instance that is preinstalled and preconfigured, and includes a management interface with all the tools you need to self host your private data in a single package.
This is an official open source community project that aims at making it easier for everyone to have control over their own data."

For the purpose of unRaid this a single all in one container, an alternative to running nextcloud, database server and reverse proxy in separate containers. I am not the developer of this container but since I use it, I will do what I can to help people wanting to use it.

Project homepage:
https://ownyourbits.com/nextcloudpi/
Dockerhub homepage:
https://hub.docker.com/r/ownyourbits/nextcloudpi

You can find this container under the search team "Nextcloudpi" in the brilliant Community Applications system. For help with that please refer to the thread here:
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/38582-plug-in-community-applications/

Setup:
Once you selected the template in CA you will need to check 5 settings before you can start.

Web port:
By default this is set to port 80 but change based on your needs.
Secure web por:
By default this is set to port 443 but change based on your needs.
Management port:
By default this is set to port 4443 but it can be changed based on your needs. This is the management system behind Nextcloudpi, allowing you to make changes to most of the Nextcloud setup.
Data folder:
The default is /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloudpi so people can get up and running fast but this should be set somewhere on the array especially if you have alot of data. Making a share specifically for NCP is probably a good idea.
Set IP:
In the 'post argument' section please set the IP of your unRaid server, for example 192.168.0.5. When NCP starts up it will set this as a safe IP allowing you to continue setup once the container has started.

PLEASE NOTE:
The container can take upto 10 minutes to start when first installed, on startup it will create the database and do most of the first setup. For this reason please be patient if the web interface doesn't respond shortly after start. Subsequent starts will be much faster.

Once the container is running you can access it at https://unraidip:443, this page will list the generated admin user for Nextcloud and the management panel. These can be changed later but for now save them and hit activate.

After getting the user details you can use the management system https://unraidip:4443 to setup your own domain, automatic updates and much more.

If you have questions or issue please put them here. I or hopefully others will do what we can to help.

Edited by Dimtar
  • Like 2

I'm curious about the port forwarding setup when running next to LetsEncrypt since LE already takes ports 80 and 443. My router already has 80/443 pointed to my server IP 180/1443, how would I go about differentiating [nextcloudsubdomain].domain.com traffic? Do I just need another block in my nginx site-conf file?

This container is an all in one solution including LetsEncrypt support. If you need LE support for another container you will need to port forward to another port of your selection.

So in your case if you might set port 553 on the host side for the container for SSL traffic. Then port forward that in your router. So it would end up being https://nextcloud.domain.com:553

If I am reading what you're asking right you wouldn't add anything to your existing LE config if you wanted to use this container.

I have installed the container template to my unraid. I have filled in my unraid server ip in the arguments and I gave the docker container a static ip, so I can access it. All the other things I have left default. For some reason when I go to the activate page and click active nothing happens. I just says "NextCloudPi not yet initialized, trying again in a few seconds ..." and nothing else happens. Going into the command line and using ncp-config allowed to enable the web ui except is isn't allowing me to login even though I use the password it is displaying. 

Am I missing something or am I doing something completely wrong? The FAQ on the support page says that it might by a faulty SD card. I am using SSD's in my server and my power supply is definitely not the issue here.

I appreciate all the help! 

Just tried setting this up, is there no way to change the data directory location?

IE: have the application on cache drive (database, configs, etc) and have the user data stored on a array share...

Right now it does not look possible to change the data directory to use a different location without putting everything in the same place.

I have nextcloudpi instance already running on an odroid hc2 and its possible on that to set/change the directory. Maybe the docker version is slightly different, but I'd rather run it on unraid so I can protect the data better..

On 10/30/2019 at 7:31 PM, superslider said:

I have installed the container template to my unraid. I have filled in my unraid server ip in the arguments and I gave the docker container a static ip, so I can access it. All the other things I have left default. For some reason when I go to the activate page and click active nothing happens. I just says "NextCloudPi not yet initialized, trying again in a few seconds ..." and nothing else happens. Going into the command line and using ncp-config allowed to enable the web ui except is isn't allowing me to login even though I use the password it is displaying. 

Am I missing something or am I doing something completely wrong? The FAQ on the support page says that it might by a faulty SD card. I am using SSD's in my server and my power supply is definitely not the issue here.

I appreciate all the help! 

I haven't had this issue personally, how long did you wait between hitting activate stopping it? What does the docker log say?

On 10/30/2019 at 11:43 PM, randomninjaatk said:

Just tried setting this up, is there no way to change the data directory location?

IE: have the application on cache drive (database, configs, etc) and have the user data stored on a array share...

Right now it does not look possible to change the data directory to use a different location without putting everything in the same place.

I have nextcloudpi instance already running on an odroid hc2 and its possible on that to set/change the directory. Maybe the docker version is slightly different, but I'd rather run it on unraid so I can protect the data better..

You can change the location in the template when you're setting it up, I defaulted it to /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloudpi but you can pick anyway as with most docker containers.

7 hours ago, Dimtar said:

I haven't had this issue personally, how long did you wait between hitting activate stopping it? What does the docker log say?

I waited for like 30 minutes before I went into ncp-config and enabled the webui, but that broke everything. I threw everything away and installed the template again. Whenever I go to the IP-address of the docker it says internal server error and does not redirect me to the activate page. I can go there manually and press active, but again nothing happens. I then turned to my UnRaid server and asked him for the log from the docker container and this is what it is saying:

root@Tower:~# docker logs 8e73626d2bf1
Starting PHP-fpm
Starting Apache
Starting mariaDB
2019-11-01  8:39:18 0 [Note] mysqld (mysqld 10.3.15-MariaDB-1) starting as process 94 ...
Starting Redis
Starting Cron
Starting Postfix
Nextcloud is not installed - only a limited number of commands are available

There are no commands defined in the "config:system" namespace.  

Init done

Seems like no nextcloud is being installed or something, which is strange as this should be a nextcloud installation right? I also have my own nextcloud docker and database running separately, but I don't think that should hinder this installation. Do you know what to do to fix this problem. I have done nothing else then download your template and changed the ip address for it to a static one in my subnet. 

12 hours ago, Dimtar said:

You can change the location in the template when you're setting it up, I defaulted it to /mnt/user/appdata/nextcloudpi but you can pick anyway as with most docker containers.

But you're not able to set the two locations individually.

I'd want the appdata for Nextcloud stored in /mnt/user/system/appdata, which is where i store all my other containers appdata and is backed by cache. Then i'd want the data of files i upload to be stored in /mnt/user/nextcloud.

With everything in a single location it's difficult to do that, unless i set my nextcloud share to use the cache. It also means my nextcloud appdata files aren't backed up as they're in a different location.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:51 PM, superslider said:

Seems like no nextcloud is being installed or something, which is strange as this should be a nextcloud installation right? I also have my own nextcloud docker and database running separately, but I don't think that should hinder this installation. Do you know what to do to fix this problem. I have done nothing else then download your template and changed the ip address for it to a static one in my subnet. 

Can you share a screenshot of your settings in the template?

20 hours ago, Dimtar said:

Can you share a screenshot of your settings in the template?

Not a problem! 

Hopefully this is enough information otherwise let me know!

As you can see I put the webui to the static ip I assigned to the docker and as you instructed put my unraid server ip with the post arguments.

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 09.12.14.png

@superslider it looks like not all the IPs match? You’re asking the container to run on 210 but telling NCP to allow it on 218, unless I am reading that wrong?

Reading it back I see what you have done, you have followed the instructions but all the IPs need to match I think. I will update the wording in the template.

Edited by Dimtar
2 hours ago, Dimtar said:

@superslider it looks like not all the IPs match? You’re asking the container to run on 210 but telling NCP to allow it on 218, unless I am reading that wrong?

Reading it back I see what you have done, you have followed the instructions but all the IPs need to match I think. I will update the wording in the template.

Ah I see now... haha I feel stupid. I thought you meant to fill in the ip address of the unraid server. 

I got it to work now, thank you very much for your help! :) 

Hi,thank you very much for the great docker i install it for 10 min and works perfectly i like the web menagment panel which missing from the other Nextcloud docker with maria db and letsencrypt.

I have a question in Nextcloud docker i am able to browse the users data folder and see the files which upload ,but in Nextcloudpi i cant get access and get error a havent permissions (Manjaro) .

I try to move with Krusander Nextcloudpi folder from Appdata to put it on array to not loose data if the Cache drive fail and also limited space on cache drive ,but Krusander is unable to do it.Do i have to repeat the installation or is some another way.

The performance is it the same as Nextcloud docker with Mariadb and Letsencrypt or is better.

Can i run it together with Nextcloud docker i get error if i try to enable both Nextcloud and Nextcloudpi i guies because of the same ports.

Thank you.

@Vesko

I am not sure what you're trying to do specifically but you should be able to just read the files off the array from the folder you told the container to use.

I wouldn't recommend trying to move the NCP folder, you're likely to just break the container. If you want to store the files elsewhere select another folder on the array to use, instead of the appdata folder (in the container template). Thats just something I setup as the default.

I've never used the other Nextcloud docker container for long so I can't comment on performance sorry.

Technically given this is docker you can run both side by side but I think you would just be adding complexity for no benefit. I would pick one and stick with it. If you're happy with the LinuxServer Container I would just stick with that.

Ï can't seem to get it installed properly.

I keep getting the following error: "Starting redis-server: /etc/init.d/redis-server: 51: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)"

any idea's ?

Full log:

Initializing empty volume..
Making /usr/local/etc/ncp-config.d persistent ...
Making /etc/services-enabled.d persistent ...
Making /etc/letsencrypt persistent ...
Making /etc/shadow persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.d persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.daily persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.hourly persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.weekly persistent ...
Making /usr/local/bin persistent ...
Making /etc/apache2 persistent ...
Starting PHP-fpm
Starting Apache
Starting mariaDB
2019-11-06 21:20:45 0 [Note] mysqld (mysqld 10.3.15-MariaDB-1) starting as process 103 ...
Starting Redis
Starting Cron
Starting Postfix
Uninitialized instance, running nc-init...
Running nc-init
Setting up a clean Nextcloud instance... wait until message 'NC init done'
Setting up database...
Setting up Nextcloud...
Nextcloud was successfully installed
Set mode for background jobs to 'cron'
System config value tempdirectory set to string /var/www/nextcloud/data/tmp
System config value mysql.utf8mb4 set to boolean true
System config value trusted_domains => 11 set to string xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
System config value trusted_domains => 1 set to string 172.18.0.20
System config value trusted_domains => 5 set to string nextcloudpi.local
System config value trusted_domains => 7 set to string nextcloudpi
System config value trusted_domains => 8 set to string nextcloudpi.lan
System config value mail_smtpmode set to string sendmail
System config value mail_smtpauthtype set to string LOGIN
System config value mail_from_address set to string admin
System config value mail_domain set to string ownyourbits.com
nextcloudpi enabled
calendar installed
calendar enabled
contacts installed
contacts enabled
notes installed
notes enabled
tasks installed
tasks enabled
news installed
news enabled
previewgenerator installed
previewgenerator enabled
calendar enabled
contacts enabled
notes enabled
tasks enabled
news enabled
previewgenerator enabled
Config value squareSizes for app previewgenerator set to 32 256
Config value widthSizes for app previewgenerator set to 256 384
Config value heightSizes for app previewgenerator set to 256
System config value preview_max_x set to string 2048
System config value preview_max_y set to string 2048
System config value jpeg_quality set to string 60
System config value overwriteprotocol set to string https
All tables already up to date!
NC init done
System config value trusted_domains => 6 set to string 172.18.0.20
Provisioning
Provisioning Redis password
Updating NextCloud config with Redis password
Provisioning MariaDB password
Updating NextCloud config with MariaDB password
Running nc-limits
Using 12560357376B for PHP
Using 6 PHP threads
Using 6698857267 memory for the database
Stopping MariaDB database server: mysqld.
Starting MariaDB database server: mysqld.
Stopping redis-server: redis-server.
Starting redis-server: /etc/init.d/redis-server: 51: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)
redis-server.

e

3 hours ago, TheIstar said:

Ï can't seem to get it installed properly.

I keep getting the following error: "Starting redis-server: /etc/init.d/redis-server: 51: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)"

any idea's ?

Full log:

Initializing empty volume..
Making /usr/local/etc/ncp-config.d persistent ...
Making /etc/services-enabled.d persistent ...
Making /etc/letsencrypt persistent ...
Making /etc/shadow persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.d persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.daily persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.hourly persistent ...
Making /etc/cron.weekly persistent ...
Making /usr/local/bin persistent ...
Making /etc/apache2 persistent ...
Starting PHP-fpm
Starting Apache
Starting mariaDB
2019-11-06 21:20:45 0 [Note] mysqld (mysqld 10.3.15-MariaDB-1) starting as process 103 ...
Starting Redis
Starting Cron
Starting Postfix
Uninitialized instance, running nc-init...
Running nc-init
Setting up a clean Nextcloud instance... wait until message 'NC init done'
Setting up database...
Setting up Nextcloud...
Nextcloud was successfully installed
Set mode for background jobs to 'cron'
System config value tempdirectory set to string /var/www/nextcloud/data/tmp
System config value mysql.utf8mb4 set to boolean true
System config value trusted_domains => 11 set to string xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
System config value trusted_domains => 5 set to string nextcloudpi.local
System config value trusted_domains => 7 set to string nextcloudpi
System config value trusted_domains => 8 set to string nextcloudpi.lan
System config value mail_smtpmode set to string sendmail
System config value mail_smtpauthtype set to string LOGIN
System config value mail_from_address set to string admin
System config value mail_domain set to string ownyourbits.com
nextcloudpi enabled
calendar installed
calendar enabled
contacts installed
contacts enabled
notes installed
notes enabled
tasks installed
tasks enabled
news installed
news enabled
previewgenerator installed
previewgenerator enabled
calendar enabled
contacts enabled
notes enabled
tasks enabled
news enabled
previewgenerator enabled
Config value squareSizes for app previewgenerator set to 32 256
Config value widthSizes for app previewgenerator set to 256 384
Config value heightSizes for app previewgenerator set to 256
System config value preview_max_x set to string 2048
System config value preview_max_y set to string 2048
System config value jpeg_quality set to string 60
System config value overwriteprotocol set to string https
All tables already up to date!
NC init done
System config value trusted_domains => 6 set to string 172.18.0.20
Provisioning
Provisioning Redis password
Updating NextCloud config with Redis password
Provisioning MariaDB password
Updating NextCloud config with MariaDB password
Running nc-limits
Using 12560357376B for PHP
Using 6 PHP threads
Using 6698857267 memory for the database
Stopping MariaDB database server: mysqld.
Starting MariaDB database server: mysqld.
Stopping redis-server: redis-server.
Starting redis-server: /etc/init.d/redis-server: 51: ulimit: error setting limit (Operation not permitted)
redis-server.

e

Is privileged enabled in the template?

On 11/8/2019 at 2:47 PM, Squid said:

Is privileged enabled in the template?

Thanks for the reply Squid. Sorry for my late reply, it has been a computer-less weekend. :)
As for the privileged part. No, I actually never enabled it for any docker container I have installed. It also isn't mentioned in the description above that I should.
Should I enable it? If yes, any guidelines when to enable it and when not to?

On 11/8/2019 at 5:16 AM, TheIstar said:

Implies that privileged is required

These are the capabilities that privileged mode enables.  https://linux.die.net/man/7/capabilities  You can however cherry pick what you want via some extra parameters, but it's generally easier to simply check the box off.

• 1 month later...

to those deciding between this pi docker and linuxsever's version. Here is my comparison:

Pi Pros:

Significantly Faster*

Five click install 

Self updating

feature rich (plugins, apps, etc)

Pi Cons:

the built in reverse proxy does not work with others. Or at least that i havent been able to figure out how.

Linuxserver Pro:

Customization

Stock

Reverse proxy support

Linux Server Cons:

Slower then molasses in winter*

Performance is a big problem for the linux server version.

Local Gbit Lan:

My test folder was 3.5GB in size. 12k files. Pi took 25 minutes. Linux server took 4 hours.

remote Gbit Fiber:

My test folder was 3.5GB in size. 12k files. Pi took 32 minutes. Linux server took 20 hours.

I believe this issue has to do with redis or php cache (or both?), but have not investigated it.

both versions use mariadb and were on pcie SSDs.

• 4 weeks later...