How do I create a SHARE on UNASSIGNED DEVICE

emod

Hi,

I'd like to create a SHARE on a USB stick (added as UNASSIGNED DEVICE).

I plugged in USB stick into server, and I can see USB drive under UNASSIGNED DEVICE. I formatted USB dive with xfs.

But when I go to SHARES and click on ADD SHARES, I cannot select my USB stick as a disk.

How do I solve this?

Edited by emod
8 minutes ago, emod said:

Hi,

I'd like to create a SHARE on a USB stick (added as UNASSIGNED DEVICE).

I plugged in USB stick into server, and I can see USB drive under UNASSIGNED DEVICE. I formatted USB dive with xfs.

But when I go to SHARES and click on ADD SHARES, I cannot select my USB stick as a disk.

How do I solve this?

Unassigned Devices does not participate in standard Unraid shares.   However if the device is mounted then there is a ‘share’ toggle against the drive that can be used to share out the whole drive as a single share.

Just now, itimpi said:

Unassigned Devices does not participate in standard Unraid shares.   However if the device is mounted then there is a ‘share’ toggle against the drive that can be used to share out the whole drive as a single share.

Yes, I DID toggle ON this button. However, I can still not CREATE a SHARE (under ADD SHARE) and specify that USB as a disk.

The principle reason why I want this is so that I can back up my app data on the USB. To create a backup though, you must specify a share, and since I cannot create a share on a USB, I cannot specify the share for saving app backups.

This is, to say the least, maddening.

3 minutes ago, emod said:

Do you see below what I mean? I can't find the USB share anywhere. nor can I create SHARE on my USB.

USB.jpg

Wrong place to look for the share. Press the + sign on the screenshot I quoted above (look to the right of "sdb"), it will expand to show you the mountpoint, which is the same as the "share". It is normally rather cryptic but you can rename it to something more useful (click on it and type in new name and then enter)

Edited by testdasi
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, emod said:

I understand, and I did. Still,  I can't see the share anywhere.

(Theoretically, I should see this USB_BACKUP share under SHARES->DISK SHARES. But I do not. 

usb4.jpg

You are very confused.

A share is access in the following way (I'm assuming you are using windows and thus SMB)

• via the network from \\servername\sharename
  • directly within Unraid by pointing things to
    • User share: /mnt/user/sharename
    • Disk share: /mnt/disk#
    • Unassigned devices: /mnt/disks/sharename (in your case: /mnt/disks/USB_BACKUP)

You don't "access" a share by going to SHARES->DISK SHARES.

You "see" that USB_BACKUP is a share by the blue button under the "Share" column on UD.

That to signify it is NOT on the array, unlike the SHARES tab, which specifies shares on the array.

Ok. I included another snapshot. Why can I not see USB_BACKUP as a destination for app backup?

Below (and what you've said) indicates that APPS cannot be backed up, UNLESS the destination is a SHARE on ARRAY?

usb4.jpg

usb5.jpg

Edited by emod

Or to put it another way, the backup plugin does not support the unassigned devices plugin.

This is actually done to make it more user friendly, as supporting UD as a destination via the GUI means that other folders are also accessible that don't need to be (user, user0, direct disk shares etc) and could potentially cause an issue under certain circumstances.

But, as noted, you can set the destination anywhere by simply typing it in.

• 5 months later...

Have created a share in UD, but it does not show across the network (neither on another unRAID machine as a SMB share, nor in Windows).

Have noticed (in Krusader) that when the share is mounted, everything shows fine in the unassigned directory, but /mnt/disks is not populated

(only shows mount point without any directories or contents)...

NO 3rd party software is involved (only UD).  Setting the eSATA drive to "share" does not show any share across the network.

(version 2019.12.15)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 11:59 PM, itimpi said:

You are making use of a facility that is not part of the core Unraid product, but a 3rd party add-on.

That argument would be fully understandable for me if the was not written...

On 1/21/2016 at 4:55 PM, dlandon said:

Note: UD disks add to the total disks allowed by the Unraid license you have purchased except for a Pro license.  See here for details.

To my mind: If you couple a plugin that much with a product's license model I would say that it's not just an obvious 3rd party plugin.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, bkahlert said:

To my mind: If you couple a plugin that much with a product's license model I would say that it's not just an obvious 3rd party plugin.

Not sure why you say this.   The licence model was in place long before Unassigned devices plugin existed.  Also it is perfectly feasible to use Unraid without the UD plugin - just not as convenient.

• 7 months later...

Late for the party but....  What I wanted to do was share an "unassigned devices" share as a samba share, so I created a symbolic link and called it a day...

On unRAID:

ln -s /mnt/disks/500GB /mnt/user/500GB

On Windows:

\\Tower\500GB

Edited by EArroyo
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

I've put a few ntfs drives in to my a couple of servers to fill out the remaining bays.

The drives are %90 full and i just wanted to put a few last files in (they don't need parity because its just chia plots)

The drives cant be written to by dolphin or via smb (they aren't mounted read only) (in windows i get an error "catastrophic failure 0x8000FFFF")

If i add a usb drive in the same way it's fine and i can write to it as normal but ntfs sata drives are read only for me.

The only solution i can think of is buy more drives then copy out each drive and format it (not worth my time moving 80tb for for 8 files.

There must be something I'm not understanding here, Does anyone have any insight?

Edited by mdrodge

Did you mean physically move the disks back to the windows machine to run chkdisk?  

UPDATE the CHOWN script i tried reports Read Only in it's log.

Makes no sense, 3 drives pulled from a system all working fine (they had just been written to and shut down) now they are in different servers and all report read only.

I am hoping i can find the cause before the next round of full drives at some point tomorrow. (even if i need to go back to smb transfer at least i know where i stand) ( i don't fancy an array of %90 full read only drives ) 

I also have a few BTRFS drives in UD (haven't set up a pool for them yet) and they are fine. 

Edited by mdrodge
  • JorgeB locked this topic