Have to praise Unraid how easy and reliable it is.

Lappen71

I have a Dell T20 mini tower server with 6 HDD and one SSD. Impossible to expand so i bought a new case.

Bought a Fractal Design Node 804 that will fit 10 HDD and 2 SSD for cache. I moved over everything except the PSU because it need more power  and even added one more disk. Didn't have to rebuild the array or nothing. So now i have a "new" media server that i can add more hdd.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Started with a duct-taped throw away old AMD PC with 1gb RAM back about 10 years ago, and today have several Xeon 2670 based systems with 128GB ram in 4U rackmounts.  Things have changed for the better. 

In 10 years the only drama has been several HD failures rebuilt from parity, and numerous HD dropouts related to questionable SATA cabling and a bad power supply.  With the server hardware in place now, the SATA dropouts are no longer an issue.  HD failures continue to be contained very nicely and now the Docker and VM's mean that once in a while I can even stress a beefy server.  ECC memory and dual redundant power supplies on the server hardware is a nice benefit, but honestly, the better quality of the server hardware means that nothing fails anymore.