[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

OK, so i've worked on this for a week and read every post in this thread and it's gotten me 98% there...

I can install BigSur no problem, i can change number of cores and memory, i can install opencore, i can update opencore, i can make it auto boot without picker, i can get apple ID / imessages to work, i can get virtmanager to work... i just cant get one thing to work...

GPU passthru! 

I specificially picked up a GT710 because it appeared that one worked will with no hassle... i add it to unraid as a secondary card... i can pass it thru to windows vms... i just can't seem to get it to work with macinabox.

I stub it, i add it to xml file, i edit the file with the multifunction='on' bit and set the audio portion to the same thing with the function 1. I try it with no rom, i try it with a rom i flashed using SpaceInvaders tool, i try it with a rom i got from the interwebs...

I've followed every tip in this thread but it still won't show up monitor doesn't register a signal.

When i pull up virtmanager i get the following lines that i don't see when i use vnc:

OCC: Missing compatible GOP - Not Found

OCC: Missing GOP on ConOut - Unsupported

OC: Changed resolution to 1920x1080 @0 (max: 0, force: 0) from 1920x1080@32 - Unsupported

OCUI: Failed to load images

OC: External interface failure, fallback to builtin - Unsupported

Then it shows me the boot menu... and when i pick the bigsur disk i get:

OC: Boot failed - Aborted

OCB: StartImage failed - Aborted

What am i missing?  Do i need to edit something in the open core config?  others on the forums have said the GT710 was easy plug and play (to include SpaceInvader) which is why i picked one up for this project... did i just forget some simple setting / step?!?!

Please help me get to 100%!!!

ok, what you described is looking good, it was easy to passthrough my card here to my High Sierra VM (i have a Nvidia GT1030) as im limited due Apple's Politic of supported Hardware.

setup VM via VNC, when done add GPU, let the script run to repair the xml, edit to set multifunction, start and enjoy.

personally i always 1st do the vfio binds, fetch the gpu rom to add the romfile, done, no issues here.

as my macos VM is more or less just sitting here as i personally was disapointed about the performance im not really following this project anymore, just remembered the part due limitations on supported GPU's depending on macos Version's.

yep, those are the steps i did... crazy that it isn't working for me.  Any one else got any other ideas?  I tried to see if it work work on catalina but whatever SI did to fix which version it downloads backfired and now no matter what i pick, it always downloads bigsur.

I'm not giving up!  Someone has to see this and be like, "oh, i know what you need to do!" :D

Well... progress... after starting a fresh machine... before i even did ANYTHING, i just cut and pasted the raw xml code for the GT710 into the xml code for the newly created machine (never even booted up once yet) and low and behold... the monitor fired on and the display came alive with the install screen.  So i shut it down and changed the drive path in my newly created VM to point to the drive to my fully created BigSur install... booted right up!  Something got hosed in my XML during all the script running and fixing etc.  I'm saving these xmls in a text file... going to wipe everything... start from scratch... and edit all XML manually to step by step see where it breaks.

Will report back with final results so that other's with this issue might experience some luck.  SO FREAKING happy to finally see BigSur passed thru to monitor!!!

AND FIXED!  Fresh install with GPU passthru (GT710) and apple id / imessage working and even installed it onto a ssd drive passed thru.

Best way I found for me to do all this is use macinabox to download the media and run the helper script the first time to create the vm... then manually edit the XML from there on out... ie do not run the script again. Using the Form view to make changes and then rerun the helper script each time seemed to do something to my devices lanes that caused the issue.  It was easy to just take the virgin XML code and add a GPU, mouse, keyboard, SSD to install on passthru and do the entire install process from the GPU passthru monitor.

I'm sure SpaceInvader's script is awesome at what it does but i used so many custom locations: (vms, docker.img, custom omvf, and libvirt.img are all on my nvme drive instead of the array) that things just didn't work out using the helper script.  So i probably jacked my XML up from day one.

In essence, i think i ended up doing what the "manual install" does, but i'm not sure.  it works!  Thanks to the prior 81 pages of posts to help me steeply climb the learning curve to figure this out.  most all the answers are here in this thread... just had to put them together!!

7 minutes ago, DirkRockface said:

AND FIXED!  Fresh install with GPU passthru (GT710) and apple id / imessage working and even installed it onto a ssd drive passed thru.

It would be interesting to diff the old XML and new, to see what was broken.
I'm sure it would be something fairly obvious. The common culprits are;

1) CPU topology issues.

It's not uncommon to see people with CPU topologies defined which can upset the OS

<cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='topoext'/>
  </cpu>

Often safer to just passthrough without any topology.

<cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'/>

2) Missing custom OS loader/nvram settings. I don't use Macinabox anymore so I might be incorrect but I think it still requires custom versions.

3) Incorrect bus settings on the video card passthrough.

- Usually missing bios, multifunction settings, etc.

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/vbios/Yeston-RX550-4G-LP-D5.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

4) Network card not updated to e1000-82545em after initial build.

5) Missing or corrupt QEMU settings.

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=xxxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>

And I'm sure there are more gotchas to watch out for.

I'm glad to hear you got it going. I must admit I did a compete rebuild of my Unraid Hackintosh a couple of months back. Now on stock standard OC and it's flawless. I was even able to fix the NVMe drive so it appears to the OS as an internal drive which was something that used to bug me.

Ta,

On 5/31/2021 at 7:11 PM, cat2devnull said:

It would be interesting to diff the old XML and new, to see what was broken.
I'm sure it would be something fairly obvious. The common culprits are;

You are absolutely correct, it was something dumb... it looked like i had duplicate entries for some of the domains and busses and since i NEVER touched those manually, i can only assume the helper script hiccuped once or twice during a step cuz everytime it would create a duplicate entry to cause a conflict... i actually think SI1 mentioned this near the end of one of his older macinabox videos but i totally missed it at the time.

When you just do the raw xml in sections (like you cut and pasted above) it is actually quite easy and straightforward, it just took me a while to force my self to actually READ the xml and investigate what could be wrong.  I just fell victim to the "i guess my video card just isn't supported" easy way out.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:11 PM, cat2devnull said:

I was even able to fix the NVMe drive so it appears to the OS as an internal drive which was something that used to bug me.

Yep!  fixing my dive to be internal was a win for me as well!  love my setup (after fighting with it for 10 days).

Hi Guys,

I have a Dell PowerEdge R710, I have followed the steps in the video below and everything for the most part works fine until I go to boot up the machine and start the installer, I get the "your computer restarted because of a problem", and then the apple loading screen then a reboot and back to select boot drive menu.

I have tried all the different OS options going back until High Sierra, same thing happens.

Any ideas whats going on here?

The processor is a Intel XEON X5675 with 192GB of DDR3 RAM.

Please help.

Regards

Reece

On 6/3/2021 at 9:55 AM, ricksimpson said:

Hi Guys,

I have a Dell PowerEdge R710, I have followed the steps in the video below and everything for the most part works fine until I go to boot up the machine and start the installer, I get the "your computer restarted because of a problem", and then the apple loading screen then a reboot and back to select boot drive menu.

I have tried all the different OS options going back until High Sierra, same thing happens.

Any ideas whats going on here?

The processor is a Intel XEON X5675 with 192GB of DDR3 RAM.

Please help.

Regards

Reece

In the same boat here, I'm just awaiting someone to post a solution. Been fiddling with it for a couple weeks now with zero luck.

-edit managed to capture a photo quick enough to see an error:

image.png.eb55b21aa9ba2841a11b1d92b1bd2dd1.png

Edited by kingfetty
  • Like 1

Hey guys Im new to unraid and trying to setup a mac vm, however I cant get past the initial boot

boot.thumb.png.a6ae4953f8f1883d4a4ec65ef1737cbb.png

Here is my XML

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Macinabox BigSur</name>
  <uuid>1d5b6e9c-078d-4e99-8de1-28868790da9e</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Big Sur</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="BigSur.png" os="osx"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/1d5b6e9c-078d-4e99-8de1-28868790da9e_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-opencore.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/Macinabox BigSur/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:80:a5:ec'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='vmxnet3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='************************'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Any ideas?

problem.png

@SpaceInvaderOne I followsed your youtube videos and some github tickets and comments and it lead me here :)

I have sucessfully setup the Mac Big Sur on Unraid, however I just cannot setup the Apple iMessage. it said cannot contact the server when I tried my apple ID.

I noticed that even my ent0 was set to build-in = 01, after a few times reboot, the "tick box" still grey out, and leaving "build-in" unchecked. 

Is there something wrong? Please see the attached screeshots. thanks so much!

WX20210609-152400@2x.png

WX20210609-152313@2x.png

3 hours ago, qy2009 said:

I noticed that even my ent0 was set to build-in = 01, after a few times reboot, the "tick box" still grey out, and leaving "build-in" unchecked. 

Is there something wrong? Please see the attached screeshots. thanks so much!

Yes... The variable is "built-in" not "build-in".

You made a simple typo.

For further reading, checkout the dortania guide.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/iservices.html#fixing-en0

16 hours ago, IamDan said:

Hey guys Im new to unraid and trying to setup a mac vm, however I cant get past the initial boot

Any ideas?

See my post about common issues. I would try cleaning up the CPU topology as a first point.

Beyond that, we would need more debugging info.

Good luck.

On 6/6/2021 at 7:26 AM, kingfetty said:

In the same boat here, I'm just awaiting someone to post a solution. Been fiddling with it for a couple weeks now with zero luck.

-edit managed to capture a photo quick enough to see an error:

That's not an error message, it's just logging about which drive it is going to boot from. See my post about about needing more information to help you debug further.

6 minutes ago, cat2devnull said:

See my post about common issues. I would try cleaning up the CPU topology as a first point.

Beyond that, we would need more debugging info.

Good luck.

Topology has now been removed.

Here is my vm log

-device pcie-root-port,port=0x10,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x11,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x1 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x12,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x13,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x3 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-opencore.img","node-name":"libvirt-3-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-3-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-3-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=libvirt-3-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-install.img","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.3,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=sata0-0-3,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Macinabox BigSur/macos_disk.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.4,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=sata0-0-4,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=33,id=hostnet0 \
-device vmxnet3,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:80:a5:ec,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=34,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 \
-k en-us \
-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0 \
-usb \
-device usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0 \
-device '************************' \
-smbios type=2 \
-cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2021-06-09 23:43:44.452+0000: Domain id=1 is tainted: high-privileges
2021-06-09 23:43:44.452+0000: Domain id=1 is tainted: custom-argv
2021-06-09 23:43:44.452+0000: Domain id=1 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

Im sorry Im not sure on how to get to the apple boot loader debugging

6 minutes ago, IamDan said:

Topology has now been removed.

Here is my vm log

Im sorry Im not sure on how to get to the apple boot loader debugging

Your VM log looks fine.
With what info I have to go on, at this stage I don't think this is an OC bug. This is likely something between OS X and the VM (kernelspace/userspace).
At this point you will need to get your hands dirty.
Start by reading the Dortania Troubleshooting guide.
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#table-of-contents

(keep in mind that some options in this guide will different as it is based on OC 0.7.0 and you are using 0.6.4)

You should look at enabling the OS X debugging first as that is likely to give you what you need. Only if that doesn't work would I bother to install the debugging version of OC.
In you config.plist there is a string under NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> boot-args
Change to "-v keepsyms=1"

This will enable verbose mode and hopefully allow you to see what's breaking.

4 hours ago, cat2devnull said:

Your VM log looks fine.
With what info I have to go on, at this stage I don't think this is an OC bug. This is likely something between OS X and the VM (kernelspace/userspace).
At this point you will need to get your hands dirty.
Start by reading the Dortania Troubleshooting guide.
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#table-of-contents

(keep in mind that some options in this guide will different as it is based on OC 0.7.0 and you are using 0.6.4)

You should look at enabling the OS X debugging first as that is likely to give you what you need. Only if that doesn't work would I bother to install the debugging version of OC.
In you config.plist there is a string under NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> boot-args
Change to "-v keepsyms=1"

This will enable verbose mode and hopefully allow you to see what's breaking.

So ive been searching around. How do I enable OSX debugging?

EDIT: I managed to capture this

Capture.JPG

Edited by IamDan
Capture
39 minutes ago, IamDan said:

So ive been searching around. How do I enable OSX debugging?

I’ve used the term debugging and verbose interchangeably, which may have been confusing.

Add the boot-args "-v keepsyms=1" to your config.plist as I mentioned above, and is documented here :).

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/kernel-debugging.html#config-plist-setup

This will turn on verbose mode when OS X boots and then you should be able to see what is causing the kernel panic.

39 minutes ago, IamDan said:

EDIT: I managed to capture this

Capture.JPG

This isn't an error. It's just the UEFI logging which HDD it's booting from.

3 hours ago, cat2devnull said:

I’ve used the term debugging and verbose interchangeably, which may have been confusing.

Add the boot-args "-v keepsyms=1" to your config.plist as I mentioned above, and is documented here :).

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/kernel-debugging.html#config-plist-setup

This will turn on verbose mode when OS X boots and then you should be able to see what is causing the kernel panic.

This isn't an error. It's just the UEFI logging which HDD it's booting from.

So I added verbose mode and now it boots directly to

12989601_Screenshotfrom2021-06-1019-18-49.thumb.png.8b290e3f999c7b522d88fa7b393ead20.png

If I exit I get into the bios ?????🤨

2037753519_Screenshotfrom2021-06-1019-21-59.thumb.png.90e8daef30824ac1572baeefc9bf2afe.png

Im starting to think this might go in the to hard basket untill I upgrade my hardware😂

20 hours ago, IamDan said:

So I added verbose mode and now it boots directly to

12989601_Screenshotfrom2021-06-1019-18-49.thumb.png.8b290e3f999c7b522d88fa7b393ead20.png

Im starting to think this might go in the to hard basket untill I upgrade my hardware😂

Ok, so I am not very experienced with this situation but what has happened is that the VM is booting into the UEFI, but then the UEFI cannot find a valid OS (BOOTx64.efi) to boot, so stops.

This means that you have either damaged your EFI partition. Deleted or remapped your virtual disk to somewhere it isn't expecting, or similar.

This wouldn't happen from just adding the boot-args to your config.plist file since the boot process hasn't even got that far yet.

OpenCore Booting:

(from https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/troubleshooting/boot.html#xnu-kernel-handoff)

1. System powers on and searches for boot devices <- you're stuck here
  2. System locates BOOTx64.efi on your OpenCore USB under EFI/BOOT/
  3. BOOTx64.efi is loaded which then chain-loads OpenCore.efi from EFI/OC/
  4. NVRAM Properties are applied <- this is where you made the change
  5. EFI drivers are loaded from EFI/OC/Drivers
  6. Graphics Output Protocol(GOP) is installed
  7. ACPI Tables are loaded from EFI/OC/ACPI
  8. SMBIOS Data is applied
  9. OpenCore loads and shows you all possible boot options
  10. You now boot your macOS installer

I would start by checking your EFI partition/vdisk and check that you somehow didn't break your disk mappings in your VM XML config.

Edited by cat2devnull

Hey, so first time using this... I followed your youtube video exactly on installing a Big Slur VM.  I'm at the part where I just launched the VM for the very first time, opened up VNC, and selected MacOS Base System.  It crashes immediately, and I basically just cycle through this one part over and over again.  It tells me my "computer" restarted because of a problem.  press a key or wait for startup to continue... then it crashes.

Any clues on what I can look at that might be the issue?