[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

25 minutes ago, Kodiak51103 said:

What app do i open the config.plist in?

Textedit, any text editor.

Opencore configurator can mess your config.plist if the version doesn't match the version of opencore.

Better to do things manually.

cat2devnull is using xcode builtin plist editor

Remember: do not play too much with the smbios data (serial number, uuid, etc) while you are online, otherwise apple can lock your apple id (that happened to me :P ) and you will need to call apple to unlock it.

And also remember to change all the smbios data with fresh ones: take into account that all the people downloading macinabox have the same serial number and smbios data!

Edited by ghost82
2 hours ago, Kodiak51103 said:

Clearly i'm a idiot Nothing is showing up in xcode?

Actually there are 20 items in that plist file as you can see in the "value" column. You just need to click on the "> Add" to get it to expand.

But I am not sure why you are editing the pcidevices.plist file. You need to add the built-in settings to your config.plist in your EFI disk/partition. If you look at my earlier post, you can see I am editing /Volumes/EFI/EFI/OC/config.plist

Also I noticed that you are still using the VMX ethernet driver. This should have been updated to be the intel e1000 driver when you ran the Macinabox helper script. I believe that you need to be using the intel virtual NIC to avoid issues with iServices.
You can check your virtual machines XML configuration in Unraid and make sure the NIC model is set to e1000-82545em as per my example below.

You may also just be able to run the the helper script again to fix it. Just make sure you updated the FIRSTINSTALL variable to "no".

Spacinvader One talks about this here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OunFLG84Qs&t=840s

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='60:03:08:aa:bb:cc'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

Is there anyway to determine/verify that your videocard isn't supported by the macinabox mac installation. I have VM's working fine with passthrough on an R9 290x , the hackintosh forums say that card is hit & miss. When I setup Macinabox with GPU passthrough nothing happens, but the log doesn't give any errors or anything just no signal gets to my monitor so it's really hard to troubleshoot it. The VM works fine on VNC, so do I just assume at this point I'm out of luck with this card?? or are there any troubleshooting steps?

Hello, I'm hoping that someone can help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong/missing.  I've just grabbed the latest version of Macinabox from the Apps page, have CS User Scripts installed and also the Custom VM images.  I can see Docker image for the Macinabox starts and I've used the defaults.  I have followed the video's directions and also looked at the guide in the post. The 2x new user scripts are there and it pulls down the image and I can then see this in the VM tab.

So far so good.  

However, when I start the VM (I've tried both Catalina and Big Sur I get the same issue.  The system starts shows the initial option to install OSX and then when I select it I get the following error displayed and then it just loops through and reboots back to the start.

image.png.5574c6db54000b866230a75b5fafcfcd.png

The only thing I can see in the VM logs is a reference to " tainted: custom-argv " but nothing more.  The full logs are:-

-device pcie-root-port,port=0x12,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x13,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x3 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-opencore.img","node-name":"libvirt-3-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-3-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-3-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=libvirt-3-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-install.img","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.3,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=sata0-0-3,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Macinabox BigSur/macos_disk.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.4,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=sata0-0-4,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=45,id=hostnet0 \
-device vmxnet3,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:17:88:c9,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=46,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:6,websocket=5706 \
-k en-us \
-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0 \
-usb \
-device usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0 \
-device '************************' \
-smbios type=2 \
-cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2021-07-09 19:54:53.339+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: high-privileges
2021-07-09 19:54:53.339+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: custom-argv
2021-07-09 19:54:53.339+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/7 (label charserial0)
2021-07-09T19:55:27.630747Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 7820 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)
2021-07-09 19:55:27.831+0000: shutting down, reason=destroyed

The VM XML is as follows:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Macinabox BigSur</name>
  <uuid>b0b987a5-1286-4c31-8999-5e34cb4ceee3</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Big Sur</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="BigSur" icon="BigSur.png" os="osx"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='2' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-opencore.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/Macinabox BigSur/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:17:88:c9'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='vmxnet3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=REMOVED'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Now if I try to go to the web UI for the Macinabox image, I get the VirtManager page show up but a message telling me:-

image.thumb.png.14744e72c3e0415759025cc5e1ad8d53.png

So what am I doing wrong??

Hello all,

i am setting up Macinabox for the first time and selected Bir Sur as the OS to download. I’m curious how long the download took for those that are using Big Sur. Mine has been running for 6+ hours. In checking the user script log file “1_macinabox_vmready_notify”, it does not show any progress. What am I missing here?

12 hours ago, alex165 said:

Hello all,

i am setting up Macinabox for the first time and selected Bir Sur as the OS to download. I’m curious how long the download took for those that are using Big Sur. Mine has been running for 6+ hours. In checking the user script log file “1_macinabox_vmready_notify”, it does not show any progress. What am I missing here?

Mine show up immediately do you have your unraid notifications turned off? Run the helper script check vm tab. if nothing shows up try again. 

On 7/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, cat2devnull said:

Actually it does talk about how to fix the en0 not having a check mark, but I agree that it's not well written.

https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/iservices.html#fixing-en0

"Here under Network Interfaces (network card icon), look for en0 under BSD and check whether the device has a check mark under Builtin. If there is a check mark, skip to Fixing ROM section otherwise continue reading."

After running the two commands to delete the .plist files it actually gives instructions about what to do if you don't have an en0 interface so you can ignore the section about NullEthernet.kext and ssdt-rmne.aml since that isn't your issue.

Jump to "Now head under the PCI tab of Hackintool and export your PCI DeviceProperties, this will create a pcidevices.plist on your desktop..."

You just need to add the en0 interface PCI root to your config.plist to tell the OS that it is built-in.

1558209223_ScreenShot2021-07-05at9_21_45am.png.0eba32c0adcce01c4be2af15916b4f54.png

In my case I had to define the built-in option for the WiFI, Bluetooth and the NVMe SSD.

Went in hackintosh tool got the PicRoot then when to opencore mounted the partition config.plist adn added it there but had many errors could not saved got it added still not working

image.png.cfaa5f93fac0ca300dbd3572b8b40920.png

image.png.6d7399af0cb556f2207287d2b89b2f93.png

image.png.14416e25da94bda2a999996a5c8eae19.png

image.png

On 7/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, ghost82 said:

Follow this, github repo was updated, maybe still not the image in ca.

Follow the first comment here to fix:

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/pull/49#issuecomment-873745079

I followed the instructions for that fix and it's still in the crash boot loop when trying that first boot.

Am I correct, that you install the MacInABox Docker (but don't let it start) then grab the two files and run the docker commands in question to update the files in the container... Then and only then you let the docker run?

Even after a full erase of everything, app data, the VM disks and even the ISO and reinstalling per the amended instructions it's still failing to boot even the first time.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Edited by kc4uai
On 7/11/2021 at 7:14 AM, Kodiak51103 said:

Went in hackintosh tool got the PicRoot then when to opencore mounted the partition config.plist adn added it there but had many errors could not saved got it added still not working

So you need to look at the permissions to understand why you can't edit the file. Also check that the filesystem is mounted as read/write.

On 7/10/2021 at 7:44 PM, kc4uai said:

I followed the instructions for that fix and it's still in the crash boot loop when trying that first boot.

Am I correct, that you install the MacInABox Docker (but don't let it start) then grab the two files and run the docker commands in question to update the files in the container... Then and only then you let the docker run?

Even after a full erase of everything, app data, the VM disks and even the ISO and reinstalling per the amended instructions it's still failing to boot even the first time.

Thanks for any suggestions...

I figured it out myself.. But just in case somebody else has this issue...

The problem was the file permissions of the two replacement (discussed in this bug report: https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/pull/49 ) files after they were copied into the Macinabox Docker container.  When you pull them using wget, the permissions get set to your user's default and then when you copy them into the Docker container they have the wrong permissions (most notable the "unraid.sh").  

The solution is easy.  Just run "chmod 755" on both files before you copy them up to the container. (For example: "chmod 755 unraid.sh")

I also had to switch to "method 2" for fetching the OS media (edit this in the Docker config when you install it).  

After that, things worked as expected.

Thanks!

On 7/10/2021 at 12:45 AM, alex165 said:

Hello all,

That does seem like a long time.  It took me, in the USA, in the morning, on a 150 Gbps internet connection about an hour to download Big Sur using method 2. (I never got method 1 to work)

One thing I figured out the hard way though was that once you start the container, DON'T STOP it until you have completed this download.  IF you do, you will have to go clean out both appdata and any partial ISOs manually from the file system.

I was able to get out of the install loop with a couple of new files over at the spaceinvader github project page and I installed Catalina with method_2 but today I decided to install BigSur and then came across another problem 🤦‍♂️. Can somebody explain what's wrong in this picture. This is the LOG .. Thank You

macinabox_error.png

I'm having issues installing the VM. After I click the helper script I get this error. 

Script location: /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/1_macinabox_helper/script
Note that closing this window will abort the execution of this script
error: Failed to open file '/mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/autoinstall/Macinabox*.xml': No such file or directory

I click done, and there is no VM's loaded. Any ideas?

Edited by LFCO
12 hours ago, jiggad369 said:

I know in clover you could add an arg for verbose. Is there anyway to do this is Opencore? Is there anyway to access the EFI?

For verbose you need the -v boot-args in config.plist in the EFI/OC folder, next to any other arguments (OtherArgumentsHere):

<key>boot-args</key>
				<string>-v OtherArgumentsHere</string>

You mount the EFI folder from within mac os (with the terminal, with an app, i.e. opencore configurator, EFI partition mounter, etc.), or from unraid (with nbd, with terminal), it has been written many times here in the forum, if you do a search you will find different solutions.

From unraid, if you have a separate opencore image:

modprobe nbd max_part=8
qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 /path/to/opencore.qcow2
mount /dev/nbd0p1 /path/to/mount/point/

---- make your edits ----

umount /path/to/mount/point/
qemu-nbd --disconnect /dev/nbd0
rmmod nbd

This is for a qcow2 image, for a raw img replace this:

qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 /path/to/opencore.qcow2

With this:

qemu-nbd --format=raw --connect=/path/to/opencore.img

You mount the EFI partition as you mount any other EFI partition.

12 hours ago, jiggad369 said:

I'm stuck at the apple logo without any progress bar

One of the common issue is that you missed the custom args at the bottom of the xml with the apple oskey.

New version of macinabox in github (I don't know if the docker image has been updated in CA), includes virtualsmc which overcomes this issue if one misses the oskey in the xml.

Another common issue is if you passed through the cpu and you missed patches to boot from it (amd patches, cpu topology and force penryn are most common).

Edited by ghost82
5 hours ago, jiggad369 said:

Now, the only thing I can't get to work is USB Audio

Are you passing through the usb controller or only the usb dac to an emulated usb controller?

Can you attach a dump of ioregistry explorer with the usb dac attached?

What is the model of this usb dac?

Any additional kext required to run it or it should work out of the box?

Edited by ghost82

When unraid does a video card passthrough, does the OS itself do hardware detection on the device or does it use what ever Unraid has determinded it is.  Meaning, my card in Unraid and my Ubuntu VM that is using passthrough, both show the card as "R7 370 / R9 270x/370x"  Would the Mac OS on boot try to detect the video card hardware directly? or is it going to see it based on this and possibly assume it's an R7 370? because it's the first one listed.. My card is definitely an X version either an R9 270x or R9 280x I can't recall but giving unraid the benefit of the doubt lets assume it's an R9 270x, So with no configuration would macinabox see it as what it is or would it be seeing it as an R7 370 and that's why its not working because MacOS doesn't have an id for the non X version of these cards?

On 7/16/2021 at 6:20 PM, Nickfmc said:

does the OS itself do hardware detection on the device?

On 7/16/2021 at 6:20 PM, Nickfmc said:

Would the Mac OS on boot try to detect the video card hardware directly?

Yes, the os in the vm directly interacts with the gpu.

Unfortunately it's not so easy to identify the model if you don't have a specific serial number or anything else able to identify the specific model.

Dortania reports:

R7 270/370 (FakeID needed)
R9 270X/370X
R9 280x/380x (Hit or miss)

Only R9 270X/370X works out of the box, R9 280X/380X may work or not, R7 270/370 needs spoofing of id (and now it's even easier to spoof the device id of an amd gpu, whatevergreen 1.5.2 has support for "device-id spoofing"), I think with that of the corresponding 'X' version.

Edited by ghost82

Is there a troubleshooting guide somewhere? Are there minimum requirements for the CPU or something?

I'm asking as I'm unable to even boot to the installer. I see the boot disk selection, then I get to the apple logo for a few seconds before the VM resets. Upon the next start it displays something along the lines of "your computer restarted because of a problem" - very helpful Apple...

I tried both Big Sur and Catalina on two unraid instances. However, both are a bit dated in terms of the hardware so that might be the problem, but it would be great to know which features of the CPU or alike are required if any...

On 6/30/2021 at 7:58 AM, ghost82 said:

I'm afraid, still not supported, even in beta 4 11.5, nor in beta 2 monterey 12.0.

Hello ghost,

Considering that there’s still no 6700 xt driver is it possible to fool the os and make it think it’s a different gpu, one that is supported? If this is possible please share the method and also it it can harm my gpu. Thanks.