[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

1 hour ago, DerSnitzki said:

Your need a compatible Opencore Configurator version for your Opencore Bootloader Version. In the case of Space Invader's latest tutorial, you need the version 2.19.1.0:

https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/opencore-configurator-2-19-1-0/

The issue for this screen is that your Bootloader version isnt compatible with your Configurator version. When you create your config.plist file with the configurator and the verions doesnt match together, the configurator breaks up your config.plist and the bootloader cant boot the OS.

Try it first without a GPU and use VNC instead. Cause if you use a incompatible GPU this also can be a reason that you will stuck in this boot screen(e.g. AMD RX 6XXX Series or all of the newer NVidia Cards).

I see. Is there any place to tell that bootloader version isn't compatible with the configurator version?

I used 2.50 which seems clearly wrong in hindsight given I otherwise followed all of SIO's instructions to the T = didn't add a GPU but it locked up when I tried just editing the Vm to (1) more ram, (2) use 3 cores + 6 threads and (3) removing the two non-relevant vdisks). I did execute the script to fix the XML so it points to opencore 2.50 being the issue. I just spent the time to reinstall Big Sur so hopefully doesn't mess up again this time.

Hello,

I'm able to get to the disk check utility and start the BigSur install. However, the install always fails with the error "An error occurred loading the update". I've tried removing dev/urandom, fresh installing macinabox, removing customovf, and everything else I can think of.

Weird thing is, first time I installed macinabox and BigSur it worked just fine. I then deleted that vm because i was having (unrelated) problems and ever since then it has failed in the exact same way.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached is the error and the installer log.

unraid error.JPG

I made a 100G hard drive in the docker settings. Also tried it with a 200G harddrive, no luck. My array has terabytes of free space, so I don't think its that. But I've read that reply elsewhere about space. I will try to play with increasing disk size.

Edited by akauper
3 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Not enough disk space?

I'm seeing a crc mismatch in the log, so the download seems corruted, download the image again.

That was the answer somehow... Set docker to 400G and it worked. No idea why. Even SpaceInvaderOne's video says 100G. But if anyone else comes here with the same issue there you go!

Thank you ghost82!!

Edited by akauper
On 9/28/2021 at 4:24 AM, DerSnitzki said:

i guess the list is a 'bit outdated, my RX 6900XT is working fine...

I've just bougth a second hand RX 580 and it doesn't work out of the box. Have to spend some time for troubleshooting. When I'm using VNC it works flawless. But when I change to my RX 580 it doesn't work. It's stuck before loading the apple logo etc. 

1 hour ago, Geertjuhh said:

I've just bougth a second hand RX 580 and it doesn't work out of the box. Have to spend some time for troubleshooting. When I'm using VNC it works flawless. But when I change to my RX 580 it doesn't work. It's stuck before loading the apple logo etc. 

Do you had passthrough your GPU with the right ROM BIOS?

And, is this RX 580 your only GPU in the system or do you have another GPU? Cause if not Unraid must be headless.

14 minutes ago, DerSnitzki said:

Do you had passthrough your GPU with the right ROM BIOS?

And, is this RX 580 your only GPU in the system or do you have another GPU? Cause if not Unraid must be headless.

Hi, 

Yeah i've a correct ROM since its working with another VM. 

I've a 3070TI in mu machine aswell. Using Unraid headless I think. Because I am using my 3070TI for my windows VM.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

Edited by Geertjuhh
5 minutes ago, Geertjuhh said:

Hi, 

Yeah i've a correct ROM since its working with another VM. 

I've a 3070TI in mu machine aswell. Using Unraid headless I think. Because I am using my 3070TI for my windows VM.

Do you even tried to use the GPU in another VM or a baremetal Windows system? Just to be safe that the GPU isnt faulty.

Moreover, which macOS you have installed? I guess you use Opencore, not Clover. Which Opencore version? Which Opencore Configurator version?

5 minutes ago, DerSnitzki said:

Do you even tried to use the GPU in another VM or a baremetal Windows system? Just to be safe that the GPU isnt faulty.

Moreover, which macOS you have installed? I guess you use Opencore, not Clover. Which Opencore version? Which Opencore Configurator version?

Thanks for your fast replies! 

I've tried it on a different vm and then it's working. 

I am currently running Big Sur, and used OpenCore Configurator 0.7.3 to set it to an Mac Pro 2013 like in the video. 

3.png

23 minutes ago, Geertjuhh said:

Thanks for your fast replies! 

I've tried it on a different vm and then it's working. 

I am currently running Big Sur, and used OpenCore Configurator 0.7.3 to set it to an Mac Pro 2013 like in the video. 

3.png

No problem :)

Ok, everything looks fine. 0.7.3 is your OpenCore Version not your Configurator Version. 

Otherwise, we will check your BIOS settings

5 hours ago, DerSnitzki said:

Yes or close, its 2.50.0.0.

Try out Configurator version 2.19.1.0. Sadly you should create a complete new VM, just to be safe. The whole process stays identical.

Just tried with Configurator version 2.19.1.0. 

Everything works fine with the vnc. When I switch to my GPU i get the following errors:

4.png

On 9/28/2021 at 3:22 PM, DerSnitzki said:

Your need a compatible Opencore Configurator version for your Opencore Bootloader Version. In the case of Space Invader's latest tutorial, you need the version 2.19.1.0:

https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/opencore-configurator-2-19-1-0/

The issue for this screen is that your Bootloader version isnt compatible with your Configurator version. When you create your config.plist file with the configurator and the verions doesnt match together, the configurator breaks up your config.plist and the bootloader cant boot the OS.

Try it first without a GPU and use VNC instead. Cause if you use a incompatible GPU this also can be a reason that you will stuck in this boot screen(e.g. AMD RX 6XXX Series or all of the newer NVidia Cards).

Just wanted to quickly update that this fixed my issue with the install. Using 2.19.1 is critical. this should be pinned to front of guide :).

A few follow-ups: 

1. how do i make the VM automatically start the mac partition when booted? found instructions on reddit

Open OpenCore Configurator -> mount the EFI -> open the config.plist -> "Misc" -> disable picker and otherwise make it look like the below

ilgfyHg.png

2. how do i rename the VM itself from "Macinbox Big Sur" to say just "macOS"? actually it was quite easy lol...just rename then run the script again with the new name

3. How do i get audio working on the basic mac install (i.e. no GPU being passed through)? For my windows 11 VM, i had to download a driver called VB Cable that allowed me to get audio. is something similar available for mac VMs?

4. can i delete the macinabox container once done or do i still need it?

5. is it safe to update macOS from within the VM once you've successfully installed?

Edited by Linguafoeda
17 hours ago, Linguafoeda said:

Just wanted to quickly update that this fixed my issue with the install. Using 2.19.1 is critical. this should be pinned to front of guide :).

A few follow-ups: 

1. how do i make the VM automatically start the mac partition when booted? found instructions on reddit

Open OpenCore Configurator -> mount the EFI -> open the config.plist -> "Misc" -> disable picker and otherwise make it look like the below

ilgfyHg.png

2. how do i rename the VM itself from "Macinbox Big Sur" to say just "macOS"? actually it was quite easy lol...just rename then run the script again with the new name

3. How do i get audio working on the basic mac install (i.e. no GPU being passed through)? For my windows 11 VM, i had to download a driver called VB Cable that allowed me to get audio. is something similar available for mac VMs?

4. can i delete the macinabox container once done or do i still need it?

5. is it safe to update macOS from within the VM once you've successfully installed?

To answer your 3. question, if there is something similar to get audio working on macOS. You need AppleALC in your boot configuration. Check if your audio controller is supported, cause badly not all codecs are supported. 

Deleting the container should be work but I’ve never tried it.

To answer your 5. question. Minor updates are no problem to install. How it is to update bigger packages like an whole OS update(major updates), I guess it will not work.

On 9/20/2021 at 5:00 AM, ghost82 said:

Yes, but it seems this version is already edited.

In your first posts it was not edited.

What I can suggest is to start again clean and follow to the letter the video guide.

@ghost82. I attempted to start from scratch yet still receive the same error.....

I am currently at a loss.

Script location: /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/1_macinabox_helper/script
Note that closing this window will abort the execution of this script
Starting to Fix XML
error: failed to get domain 'put the name of the vm here'
No network adapters in xml to change. Network adapter is already vmxnet3

Added custom qemu:args for macOS
topolgy line left as is
custom ovmf added
error: Failed to define domain from /tmp/put the name of the vm herefixed.xml
error: (domain_definition):3: Extra content at the end of the document

^

This is what has been done to the xml

Your network type was already correct. Network has not been changed.
The custom qemu:args have been added to you xml.
VM is set to use custom ovmf files.
xml is now fixed. Now goto your vm tab and run the VM
Rerun this script if you make any other changes to the macOS VM using the Unraid VM manger

macinabox_helper_userscript.sh

On 9/30/2021 at 10:30 PM, Geertjuhh said:

Just tried with Configurator version 2.19.1.0. 

Everything works fine with the vnc. When I switch to my GPU i get the following errors:

4.png

Your RX580 should be natively supported with drivers in all of the current macOSs.

Be sure that you run the helper script after every single and little change in the VM settings, cause Unraid deletes the last few command lines in the xml file, if you edit something, and them are quiet important for the Vm to run well.

To be Safe you can check if you have “WhatseverGreen” and “Lilu” kexts in your boot configuration but you should have them. For me it makes no sense that your GPU doesn’t work. Maybe dump your vBios again and pass it through, maybe it will be corrupted or something. 

Set your Bios Settings to:

Fast Boot -> disabled

Above 4-G -> enabled

CSM -> enabled

but I’m sure that this won’t be the reason for your problem, but if nothing works you can check. 

7 hours ago, drumking53 said:

error: failed to get domain 'put the name of the vm here'

🤔🤔

The error is that the script you are running cannot find the domain name of the vm; the script that it's running is not edited, in fact you can see that it tries to get the domain name 'put the name of the vm here', which is the string that must be modified before running the script.

Are you sure that you edited the script before running it?

Edited by ghost82
7 hours ago, ghost82 said:

🤔🤔

The error is that the script you are running cannot find the domain name of the vm; the script that it's running is not edited, in fact you can see that it tries to get the domain name 'put the name of the vm here', which is the string that must be modified before running the script.

Are you sure that you edited the script before running it?

Yes as you can see here: # vm name (put the name of the vm as defined in your template)
NAME="Macinabox BigSur"

Ive also attached the helper script for your input and review.  Much appreciated. 

I don't believe anything else needs to be edited. 

I also added the Macinabox_Big Sur.log

macinabox_helper_userscript.sh macinabox_Big Sur.log