[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

18 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Now you are doing it correctly.

Yes, and ioreg is reporting "a correct value", but not that of the device properties, it seems it still applies the boot-arg value (?), or you didn't reboot the vm (?).

Assuming the screenshot comes from a reboot of the vm (you see the changes in ioreg only after you applied the device property in the config.plist and only after a reboot, it doesn't happen "on the fly"), in device properties you have layout id 11, in ioreg you have layout id 7.

If this happens (even after applying the device property and after a reboot of the vm), check in a terminal of the vm:

nvram 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:boot-args

1. Check that the layout-id variable is not there

2. Check in config.plist that you have an entry for 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 in the Delete tab for boot-args

3. Check that WriteFlash is enabled

oc.thumb.png.7f91c75ad4c227f216d61bb19c72194d.png

Thank you again for the reply and help, I greatly appreciate it!

Correct, after each change I make, I save, unmount and reboot the VM.

When I run that nvram command I get an error that data was not found. From what I Google that seems normal?

I searched the config.plist and found 3 entries.

I enabled WriteFlash and rebooted but still nothing. I'm just not sure where that IORegistry is pulling that layout-id from.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 8.40.10 PM.png

Edited by Donny S Beatz
Forgot to attach screenshot
On 11/1/2021 at 8:52 PM, steve1977 said:

Thanks a lot. WIll look into it.

Unfortunately, update to Monterrey "bricked" my VM. I tried to switch back to VNC to understand what's going on, but this also doesn't work (guest has not initiated the screen yet). I remember the latter error was easily fixable through some change in the XML (and a bug when switching back from passthrough to VNC). I couldn't find though what I had to change in the XML. Anyone remember?

@steve1977 Did you manage to get your VM unbricked?  I did the same thing...  updated to Monterey, now hang on an apple logo after a reboot.  Not sure if it's related to pass through...

I see this in the VM log:

2021-11-02 08:37:47.069+0000: Domain id=11 is tainted: high-privileges
2021-11-02 08:37:47.069+0000: Domain id=11 is tainted: custom-argv
2021-11-02 08:37:47.069+0000: Domain id=11 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)
2021-11-02T08:41:39.167141Z qemu-system-x86_64: terminating on signal 15 from pid 28969 (/usr/sbin/libvirtd)

@ghost82 thanks for helping me.  Since we're really talking about macinabox, I'm posting in this thread instead of the hackintosh tread.  I'm still new to all of this.  Do the 10 steps that you posted to me the other day apply your prs or do I have the apply the prs before following your 10 steps.  If I need to apply the prs manually, how do I do that? I was not able to figure that out by looking at the closed prs on Github as you suggested.

Say I created a macOS VM (call it macOS VM #1) and a 4th qcow2 disk image to store "stuff" on, formatted HFS+ Journaled/GUID. Then, I blew away this macOS VM (but not that data disk image) and then tried to map that qcow2 data disk image to a new macOS VM (call it macOS VM #2)...

That should work right?

So why would macOS VM #2 want to reinitialize the qcow2 data disk again?

Shouldn't it have kept its format from macOS VM #1 and be perfectly usable in macOS VM #2?

Edited by ksignorini
Clarity. Also correct format.
4 hours ago, ksignorini said:

That should work right?

Yes

So why would macOS VM #2 want to reinitialize the qcow2 data disk again?

Maybe corrupted?

Shouldn't it have kept its format from macOS VM #1 and be perfectly usable in macOS VM #2?

Yes

On 10/30/2021 at 11:43 AM, ghost82 said:

Opencore cannot suggest to update; you mean opencore configurator?Don't use it to open the config.plist, don't use it at all, or use it ONLY as an EFI mounter.

https://github.com/headkaze/EFI-Agent

I've been using this menu bar app for ages on my bare metal hackintoshes - since the days of Clover using ANY kind of configurator has been strongly advised against because they muck up the config file.

That said, Clover was much more "relaxed" in this regard (and I did use Clover Configurator for some years) but OC is very strict - the most frequent 'help' advice I give on hackintosh forums is simply not to use configurators and follow the vanilla Dortania guide to the letter. So I was a little surprised to see Ed incorporate using a configurator into a tutorial - I mean in a 'that's going to be a can of worms!" sense 😰

FWIW my successes on bare metal hackintosh installs, both Intel and Ryzen, have all happened when I've started with a clean slate - new everything, kexts, OC version, config.sample, ProperTree etc, and done everything manually, including research as to the closest match between my hardware and the SMBIOS selected. That applies no matter how old the OS version is btw.

Conversely I have wasted hours of my life trying to cut corners and "update" EFI folders' contents

I've no experience with running OSX in VM, (though I'm here reading this cos Macinabox didn't work as expected), but having read a dozen or so pages of this thread it seems a hell of a lot simpler to run MacOS bare metal.

Anyway EFI Agent is very stable, unobtrusive, tiny and does the job. HTH someone :)

Edited by awediohead
5 hours ago, MountainMining said:

Thank you @ghost82.  Following your instructions I have Big Sur installed.  Now, I need to research the least expensive graphics card I could pass through to get reasonable performance for light use of Big Sur.

I think the 710 is still supported but not on Monterey. Maybe a amd 570?

5 hours ago, MountainMining said:

Now, I need to research the least expensive graphics card I could pass through to get reasonable performance for light use of Big Sur.

I agree with the rx 570; rx 580 should be better but they are still crazy expensive...then it depends on your budget.

With amd avoid XFX, PowerColour, HIS and VisionTek.

6 hours ago, ksignorini said:

Is there any way to change the VRAM assigned to VNC for the VM?

Unfortunately no, in my opinion not passing through a gpu (n.b. this doesn't mean you need a monitor attached to it) means a quite crap vm.

Mac os is using video acceleration everywhere..but it depends on your needs.

4 hours ago, MountainMining said:

@Bullerwins and @ghost82 Thank you for your suggestions.  I'm just playing around with installing macOS on Unraid to learn.  So even an RX 570 is more than I'm willing to spend at this point.  According to the Dortania GPU buyers guide, it seems an AMD HD 7750 will support up to Monterey.  Since I can get that GPU for about $50, I'm thinking of getting one.

I was in the same boat, just needed a low power, low cost card with modern support for HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4, 4K@60Hz, H264/H265 Hardware encode/decode, HDR, PCIe 3.0, etc all in 30 watts... I ended up going for an AMD RX550. The trick is that there are two versions sold as the RX550 so you need to get the right one.

The way to work out the difference is down to memory speeds and stream processors (SPs);

Old Lexa Core - Polaris 12 (incompatible)

• Stream Processors 512 (CUs 8 - 512SP)
  • Memory Speed 1750MHz (7000Mz effective)
  • Reference Clock 1183MHz

Newer Baffin Core - Polaris 11 & 21 (compatible)

• Stream Processors 640 (CUs 10 - 640SP)
  • Memory Speed 1500MHz (6000Mz effective)
  • Reference Clock 1071MHz

If the card has the device ID of 0x67ff then it will work OTB. https://devicehunt.com/view/type/pci/vendor/1002/device/67FF

• Device ID 0x699f = RX 550 512SP 
  • Device ID 0x67ff Rev FF = RX 550 640SP 
  • Device ID 0x67ff Rev CF = RX 560 

Here are some models which are Baffin and WOB;

There may be others but this is what I am aware of.

I ended up with the Yeston for about $99 AUS but I got it before the market went stupid. It was all I could find in Australia as Sapphire and Asus were not bringing their low end cards into the country.

Screen Shot 2021-11-10 at 8.52.04 am.png

Edited by cat2devnull
Fixed URLs
  • Like 2

Just curious as to if anyone else has been having issues with using Macinabox downloading High Sierra, as I have not had it working for me. I haven't seen much about High Sierra in this thread in quite some time, and it's understandable given being an out of date, unsupported, loss of security version of MacOS.

I clear all images, templates, and remove from appdata before trying to restart the process. I've tried Method 1 and Method 2. Method 1 usually results in almost instantaneous ready notification, and boots without any issue to recovery menu...except only allows installing Monterey which I've seen is a result in previous posts on this topic.

I've also seen that using Method 2 provides positive results for downloading the High Sierra image, however as I know it can take a long time (seen SpaceInvader One say his 490mbps speeds took over an hour), I have let it sit for almost 3 hours now with 500mbps and the file size in Krusader hasn't moved from 2GB.

Reason I'm trying to get High Sierra over any newer versions is that I have a spare GT 1030 in my Unraid box that I'm trying to passthrough for the hardware acceleration. Strictly used for fiddling with MacOS and not be a daily driver, and to obviously learn about setting it up. I did successfully get Monterey setup and everything working as intended in the OS environment which was a long experience but rewarding at the end of the day, and now I'm itching for a new project to work on.

Thanks in advance for anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction.
Edit: I'm going to go on a hunch here and say it has to do with Apple servers?
Edit2: Resolved after watching SIO's old tutorial covering installation of High Sierra and Mojave and not using the MIAB container

Edited by Squeeth
On 11/6/2021 at 5:01 AM, Donny S Beatz said:

I removed the layout-id but IORegistry still pulls that <07 00 00 00>

I thought again at this...

Are you sure you are editing the correct config.plist?In other words, are you sure you only have one efi partition with opencore?

I can explain only with this, because:

1. layout-id in boot args has priority compared to config.plist; this is independent on how many efi partitions you have and what it is used.

2. so, modifications to the config.plist are correct, but...are you sure you are mounting the correct efi partition?

What's the output of:

diskutil list

Edited by ghost82

I am hoping to find a little help here after spending the last few days troubleshooting my MacOS VM. I am unable to get it to boot reliably after passing through a Radeon pro wx4100. I am using either virt-manager or XML editing to add the gpu to the VM and have them stubbed in unraid. Currently the VM is displaying a wall of text on the monitor I have hooked up to it directly, and I am able to connect to it using NoMachine but it is only the Apple logo and a progress bar that is frozen. 

signal-2021-11-11-150954.thumb.jpeg.8f21080113639d0310d895c5a3be7ad0.jpeg

I have attached the XML for the gpu passthrough and another XML for the no gpu config, that boots almost instantly to the MacOS desktop. I am also passing through the vbios for the gpu that I dumped using SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial. If I do not pass the vbios through I get no display at all. 

I have updated the bootloader as well, doing my current install following this guide: https://pastebin.com/RtgNHqac

I followed this guide very closely, but I added the GPU after doing all the opencore updating of the bootloader as I have been dealing with this GPU issues for a bout a week. 

If anyone can tell me what I am missing, I'd be incredibly grateful. wx4100MacOSNoBoot.txt 

This is the working XML file I have that does not have GPU passthrough. XML BACKUPSMacOS NO GPU.txt