[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

9 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Can you remind me where/how to replace the bootloader file?

I don't use macinabox, sorry, but easy way is to check from your xml.

Just see the path of the opencore img file and replace it (hoping that you didn't replace bootloader files in the main mac os disk..)

Folks, been using MacInABox (clover flavour) for a long time with no problems. However,  recently the SSD I was using for the VM died (complete failure).

Needed to re-install and retrieve files from TimeMachine, I updated MacInABox and successfully got my Catalina back up and running on OpenCore. (AMD RX580 GPU passed through).

Except it's not stable. The main problems are;

1. Network access to unRaid shares is glacial, though internet browsing is OK. (I have e1000-82545em configured, no issues accessing shares from a real Mac)

2. Programs (in particular Adobe Illustrator) is causing the OS to freeze regularly

3. Playing any video file in a browser will always cause the OS to freeze after 15-20 seconds.

Rebooting the VM fixes the OS freeze, until the next time.

I'm not at all familiar with OpenCore so am really stuck as to where I can even start to troubleshoot. Rock Solid on Clover. Multiple Problems on Open Core. Any insights? Back to clover?

On 1/3/2022 at 12:07 AM, Mattaton said:

I'm a total newb, but I'm assuming from the latest comments that we're out of luck on using Macinabox right now? Mine installs Monterey no matter what, as others have mentioned. After going through the entire install procedure twice per SI1's video, I get to loading up the VM the final time after OS install and VM settings tweaks, I get the OpenCore Boot Menu where I have to select the boot disk, then I get the attached text on the screen and nothing else happens. 😕

Hopefully he can get this tweaked soon!

macinabox.png

I have exact the same issue...

image.png.c2ede3ecb4e4ab5cd1f6002c890d820a.png

Edited by Boxswurst
screenshot
2 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Please read some pages of this thread and you will find solutions for this.

Most (near all) of the issues related to mac os are covered in this thread and in this discussion:

Thanks @ghost82

First off, as mentioned, I'm new to Macinabox, Mac VMs, VMs, and unRAID...in order from least to most familiar. 😄
I tried doing a search of this thread for some text in what I was seeing, but I didn't come up with much. Once I saw that there was a base issue with Macinabox where it was installing the latest version (Monterey) no matter which version you chose to install, and that MIAB wasn't set up to handle Monterey yet (latest version in MIAB is Big Sur), I just assumed that was the problem.

I have no idea what the whole Core Configurator and all that is doing. I'm guessing it's some intercept to fool MacOS into thinking it's booting from "authentic" hardware so it'll actually boot?

Again, I followed SI1's video to the letter (twice) and it didn't work, so I'm not sure where to even start to fix it. I'll have another poke around in the threads and see if I can find anything.

Thanks!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mattaton said:

I tried doing a search of this thread for some text in what I was seeing, but I didn't come up with much. Once I saw that there was a base issue with Macinabox where it was installing the latest version (Monterey) no matter which version you chose to install, and that MIAB wasn't set up to handle Monterey yet (latest version in MIAB is Big Sur), I just assumed that was the problem.

With the current container you have basically 2 issues:

1. It downloads monterey, despite method 1 or 2

2. opencore is outdated

I wrote some prs to fix, but they are not merged yet:

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/pulls

1. You have 2 choices: manually fix the container with new prs:

or uninstall macinabox and create the mac os vm manually.

xml in github repository is still valid:

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/blob/master/xml/Macinabox BigSur.xml

just change paths for the disks and to ovmf files.

2. it could not boot monterey and if you use opencore configurator (recent versions) it will break the entire efi

5 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

I wrote some prs to fix, but they are not merged yet:

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/pulls

I guess a third choice would be to wait for the PRs to be merged, uninstall MIAB as SI1 describes in his video, and then reinstall the new version. Then it should work if I follow his video, correct? In theory?

I'm all for tinkering, I just haven't researched and gotten my head into all the details of installing a Mac VM. Obviously, it's much more complicated than installing a Windows VM. 🙂 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Boxswurst said:

So, now I tried to create a Catalina VM and get Monterey. After doing all steps and dismount die EFI Partition i run in the exact same issue. As long as i use the "Catalina-opencore.img" (for Monterey???) everything works just fine.

Looks like @ghost82 has already pointed us (and others) in the right direction here:

I'm going to give it a shot this evening.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

How did you swap out opencore? Where is the file located?

I did it as @ghost82 described in his post that @KittenMittons said worked for him in the comment I linked to previously. Here's the original comment with the steps:

I must be missing something in what his Step 7 means. (Again, I am a straight-up newb.) Does mount partition and change SMBIOS mean the step where we copy the EFI files to the MacOS disk? Now I'm seeing that his step 8 says NOT to copy the EFI files, but I don't know what else was done in Step 7.

What does changing the SMBIOS look like? What part of SpaceInvaderOne's video did that?

Sorry, I'm being dense. 😄 

I seem to be going from bad to worse. All kinds of seemingly unrelated issues.

I have fully cleaned out MIAB several times. Here is what's happening...

After creating the VM with the MIAB helper script, I then try to run the VM to install the OS. I get this:

1443801659_ExErrorCODE.png.e77a04c4fbe8542ae2c5829543033c1f.png

That led me to realize that the Macinabox_VARS-pure-efi.fd file was not being downloaded. So I downloaded that from GitHub and manually added it to the custom_ovmf folder. That let the VM start.

But then I get this:1104866619_displaynotinitialized.thumb.png.be3b5c1941104fe88cec74882a0ebb22.png

As I said, I've fully removed MIAB, the VM, appdata, Docker template, etc. I've rebooted my server. Other VMs are running fine. I'm not sure what's wrong here. First time I've seen this. I've installed MIAB yesterday and created VMs, installed MacOS, I just couldn't get it to boot. I started over today and now I can't even get into the VM. 😞 

Edited by Mattaton
On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 AM, ghost82 said:

Hi, as promised I tested the OpenCore.img and it has no issue, I'm able to boot and install mac os, I tried monterey, but the same applies for big sur and catalina.

Now..the easiest way for you, since the original img included in macinabox is still able to install mac os (<-- not true, see below), could be:

1. clean the container and the data, spaceinvadersone tell how to do it in his video, this is very important, maybe double check also with terminal commands that everything is deleted

2. install again macinabox and install mac os as you did for the first time (<-- not possible, product id is no longer valid, see below)

3. do not change smbios data, do nothing, just shutdown mac os

4. From unraid, or from another box, download the new opencore.img from

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/raw/2a2400c44af497a00f2610523cb0c0844d2aae27/bootloader/OpenCore.img.zip

and extract it from its zip archive

5. From unraid, go to /isos/ (opencore.img should be in the isos share)

Delete BigSur-opencore.img (should be named like this, or similar) and paste the new OpenCore.img you just downloaded and extracted, rename it to the same name it was the deleted one

6. Boot mac os

7. Download opencore configurator 2.51.0.0 to mount partition and change smbios

https://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download/opencore-configurator-2-51-0-0/

8. Side note: you can not copy/replace the efi files from the opencore.img to the mac os disk; by this way if you mess something it will be easier to just replace the opencore img instead of mounting the efi partition inside the vdisk.img (mac os disk)

This worked for me. I'm now running Monterey. Maybe it's the Opencore bootloader file that did the trick. 

Thanks @ghost82!

22 minutes ago, TekDRu said:

This worked for me. I'm now running Monterey. Maybe it's the Opencore bootloader file that did the trick. 

Thanks @ghost82!

Thanks. Can you help with a bit more detail on the steps above?

Re "Clean container & data" - Not sure whether I found the right video (first post?) and where this is explained. Does "clean" mean for me to delete the container and also the appdata folder?

27 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

How now to install the docker again (step 2)? I already have a Mac VM, which stopped working. So, what do I need to set up to "reactivate" it? Do I need to set a vdisk size? Do I need to change the folders? etc.

For me, at the time that I cleaned out macinabox, I also removed the mac VM. I did so to make sure I went through all the steps properly, but I'm not sure if removing the VM is necessary. I did leave the old vdisk as-is but after successfully installing macos, I went back and deleted the old vdisk.  I believe macinabox will create the VM and vdisk for you, so you can delete both before starting all over.

@steve1977 I realize that you had your VM working at one point, so I can see why you wouldn't want to delete the VM or vdisk like I did.  This was my first time ever in getting it to work, so I had nothing to loose in VM or vdisk.  Maybe for your case, it just the new opencore img that you need, but I'm not an expert here.  @ghost82 may be able to shed some light for you.

I ended up being successful in getting a Mojave VM going based on one of SI1's earlier videos that did not use Macinabox.

Is it possible to either upgrade Mojave to Monterey within the VM or could I follow the same steps with a Monterey install image?

For some reason, every time I use Macinabox, I end up with the "Guest has not initialized the display" error. 😕

Though I'm not sure why, because the first few times I installed via Macinabox I did not get that problem.

9 minutes ago, Mattaton said:

Is it possible to either upgrade Mojave to Monterey within the VM or could I follow the same steps with a Monterey install image?

I hope you didn't copy the efi files from the opencore qcow2/img to the main mac os disk.

If you didn't copy it's a lot easier.

Try this:

Download the latest opencore img:

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/raw/84a82e54ae5f596f492ead2f2d98767029e2826a/bootloader/OpenCore.img.zip

Extract from the zip.

Look at the xml, copy the extracted file in the same folder where you have the actual opencore qcow2/img (don't delete it, so it will be easier to swap it again if it doesn't boot for whatever reason).

Modify your xml to point to the new opencore.img

Note: check the disk section and make sure to have type='raw' (if your old opencore image was qcow2 you have type='qcow2' and this must be changed).

Try to boot the vm.

If it boots, upgrade in place, you won't have issues in booting monterey.

If it doesn't boot, do what you did to install mojave, but obviously make a monterey installer disk in your mojave vm and use the new opencore image, and make a clean install.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

I hope you didn't copy the efi files from the opencore qcow2/img to the main mac os disk.

If you didn't copy it's a lot easier.

Try this:

Download the latest opencore img:

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/raw/84a82e54ae5f596f492ead2f2d98767029e2826a/bootloader/OpenCore.img.zip

Extract from the zip.

Look at the xml, copy the extracted file in the same folder where you have the actual opencore qcow2/img (don't delete it, so it will be easier to swap it again if it doesn't boot for whatever reason).

Modify your xml to point to the new opencore.img

Note: check the disk section and make sure to have type='raw' (if your old opencore image was qcow2 you have type='qcow2' and this must be changed).

Try to boot the vm.

If it boots, upgrade in place, you won't have issues in booting monterey.

If it doesn't boot, do what you did to install mojave, but obviously make a monterey installer disk in your mojave vm and use the new opencore image, and make a clean install.

I did as SPI1's video said, which I believe was to copy the EFI files over to the macos install image/disk. I thought you just had to do this to make it work. I'm ig'nant of how all this stuff works. 😄 

I have nothing to lose here. So, if it's best to just start over with a new VM, I can do that rather than trying to salvage an existing VM.

When doing the clean install, do I not do the part with the EFI that SI1 shows in the video? I just do the SMBIOS and that's it?