[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

1 minute ago, macmus said:

I want to access a headless mac via ipad, same way i am doing with windows vms. Never tried that with macos.

Sorry. I'm late to the party. I see what you're talking about now. If it has a graphics card passed through (and with it, its graphical horsepower), will VNC access be smoother? Good question. And this is me speculating, because I don't know...my limited understanding is that VNC acts as its own display with drivers, etc. like a real graphics card. I'm not sure that the horsepower from a graphics card will affect VNC access at all. It seems like they'd be separate to me.
When I access my Windows PC via VNC, it's still more sluggish than the physical hardware experience, even over the local network.

5 minutes ago, Mattaton said:

I see what you're talking about now. If it has a graphics card passed through (and with it, its graphical horsepower), will VNC access be smoother? Good question. And this is me speculating, because I don't know

Yes, but you need a monitor connected to the gpu or a dummy plug (to run it headless), otherwise mac os will not use the gpu at all.

It's not vnc, vnc is a client/server application, it's the emulated graphic that doesn't give any acceleration.

In the xml you have:

<graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>

First block is for vnc access, second block is the emulated graphics, qxl in this case.

26 minutes ago, Mattaton said:

When I access my Windows PC via VNC, it's still more sluggish than the physical hardware experience, even over the local network.

RDP is better then VNC. I wonder if anyone tried a parsec on headless mac, woudn't parsec required some specifc card tho ?

Just now, macmus said:

RDP is better then VNC. I wonder if anyone tried a parsec on headless mac, woudn't parsec required some specifc card tho ?

I use RDP for Windows. I'd love something similar for MacOS. I'm completely new to MacOS, in general, let alone VMs. Splashtop and NoMachine are meh, too. I like how RDP uses my local display resolution as though I just connected that display to the actual machine.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:14 AM, ghost82 said:

Yes, don't copy the efi files over the mac os disk and don't delete the opencore disk, that's all.

@ghost82 I have been having some issues too.  Do I have to worry about giving my machine a definition where it looks up a serial #?

Hello everyone.
To date it is not possible to install "High Sierra".
Even by erasing everything cleanly.
Each time it starts up with a monterey installation.
Also, I barely have time to format the drive when the machine reboots on its own.
Do you have a real solution?
Thank you.

Edited by PicPoc
51 minutes ago, macmus said:

what about EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti ? Can I use it with BigSur ?

You can check for yourself here;
https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/#a-quick-refresher-with-nvidia-and-web-drivers
From what I can see that's a negative because Maxwell support was dropped post High Sierra;
https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/nvidia-gpu.html#maxwell-series-gtx-9xx-745-750-ti

2 hours ago, PicPoc said:

Hello everyone.
To date it is not possible to install "High Sierra".
Even by erasing everything cleanly.
Each time it starts up with a monterey installation.
Also, I barely have time to format the drive when the machine reboots on its own.
Do you have a real solution?
Thank you.

use method 2 download

1 hour ago, cat2devnull said:

is there any card which would have encoding support be 1 slot and work with BigSur ?

MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT?

Edited by macmus
9 hours ago, 2112 said:

Do I have to worry about giving my machine a definition where it looks up a serial #?

You need to update the smbios data if you want to connect to apple services.

You have several options:

1. use outdated opencore with an opencore configurator version according to the opencore version it was designed for (older version, not latest)

2. update opencore to the latest version and use latest opencore configurator

3. use whatever version of opencore and do not use opencore configurator, and update smbios data manually

13 hours ago, macmus said:

how much faster is macos gonna be with a passthru card over VNC, anything better then it is right now?

12 hours ago, macmus said:

sorry i don't understand.. is then adding a GPU passthrough worth the effort?

23 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Of course, like a real mac.

13 hours ago, macmus said:

so even if it detect it as "solo" it uses all the cores and ram ?

23 hours ago, ghost82 said:

It's not the bootloader that sets the number of cores, but libvirt (xml or unraid gui).

And yes the vm will use the ram and the cores you assigned to the vm itself.

5 hours ago, macmus said:

Does this support NVIDIA NVENC ?

49 minutes ago, macmus said:

is there any card which would have encoding support be 1 slot and work with BigSur ?

Encoding/decoding info:

https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/blob/master/Manual/FAQ.Chart.md

On big sur, only amd gpu capable of hardware encoding/decoding.

On my monterey (same as big sur), 6900 xt + unfairgva injection makes drm to work and I have full hardware encoding/decoding.

4 hours ago, macmus said:

MSI Radeon RX 6600 XT?

There are very few single slot cards out there.
I've had success with the Yeston RX550.

Single slot, <40watt, full hardware encode/decode, modern Baffin core and inexpensive (by today's standards ~$100USD). I did a big post about it here;
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84601-support-spaceinvaderone-macinabox/?do=findComment&comment=1052456
http://www.yeston.net/product/details/234/272
As with ghost82, no issue with DRM once I added unfairgva=1 to the boot options in my config.plist
Should be perfect unless you want to do AAA gaming.

I wanna change my GT 710 to GTX 1060 6Gb.

i Have macinbox High Sierra. (18G2208 build). Try download manually nvidia web driver.

When try It https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update  i get it

Spoiler

IMG_20220113_150806.thumb.jpg.78b0e86c4022a87361ccc9c4cb20eebd.jpg

When i try update my High Sierra with app store. I get  it

Spoiler

IMG_20220113_151403.thumb.jpg.6f632cd4d7e1d247eec29547771f48d0.jpg

At finish i try it https://www.olarila.com/topic/7285-solve-no-nvidia-driver-for-build-17g2208/

But nothing change. i have only 8 Mb GPU. ((

It finish ? Next way to hackintosh or over hypervisor ?

12 hours ago, ghost82 said:

On big sur, only amd gpu capable of hardware encoding/decoding.

On my monterey (same as big sur), 6900 xt + unfairgva injection makes drm to work and I have full hardware encoding/decoding.

I'm thinking of using parsec to have the best experience. What about RX 4xx RX 5xx series.

4 hours ago, Exlife said:

I wanna change my GT 710 to GTX 1060 6Gb.

what is your experience with GT 710 ? I'd appreciate your support here.

I'm using GT 710 as my primary card on the server and was thinking to move it as a passthrough card, did u have issues with that?

How is performance ?

Have you been able to boot BigSur without issues?

Does the encoding works on 710.. e.g for parsec ?

11 minutes ago, macmus said:

what is your experience with GT 710 ? I'd appreciate your support here.

I'm using GT 710 as my primary card on the server and was thinking to move it as a passthrough card, did u have issues with that?

How is performance ?

Have you been able to boot BigSur without issues?

Does the encoding works on 710.. e.g for parsec ?

I am good with 710. First i install Monterey.It don't support GT 710. After  i install High Sierra. All good with GT 710.  I haave 2 gt 710. When it was main card i can't passthrough. But i disable it 2 gt 710 in System devices. I just start 3 window World of Warcraft.

On 1/13/2022 at 2:32 PM, Exlife said:

I am good with 710. First i install Monterey.It don't support GT 710. After  i install High Sierra. All good with GT 710.  I haave 2 gt 710. When it was main card i can't passthrough. But i disable it 2 gt 710 in System devices. I just start 3 window World of Warcraft.

does it have encoder? 

Can u use parsec to connect to it ?

On 1/13/2022 at 2:32 PM, Exlife said:

I'm sorry i don't understand a single word..

U mean you using 710 on MacOs VM to run WoW?