[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

Some people asked me to fork and maintain the container.

I always replied that I'm not an expert in dockers, build or anything related to dockers.

Moreover I don't know anything about how dockers and ca are connected, and how one (if it can still possible) can automate github with docker hub (it seems you need to pay now).

Some months ago I tried to build the container directly from sources on my linux box without success, because of errors.

In particular this:

gtk-update-icon-cache: Failed to open file /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/.icon-theme.cache : No such file or directory

Analyzing the code the offending line was this, in Dockerfile:

RUN cd virt-manager && ./setup.py configure --prefix=/usr/local && ./setup.py install --exec-prefix=/usr/local

Deleting --prefix=/usr/local and --exec-prefix=/usr/local fixed the compilation but there were some other issues in running the container.

I invested some time today to try to figure out the failed compilation, and I think I solved it.

In the dockerfile we have this line:

RUN git clone https://github.com/virt-manager/virt-manager.git

This means that virt-manager is cloned directly from the master (current) repository, but some other packages taken from alpine are outdated.

This pr fixes the compilation:

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/pull/64

Simply clone virt-manager and after that, switch to the 3.2.0 release branch.

After this change the container can be compiled and run without issues.

Not sure if it was the cause stopping @SpaceInvaderOne from updating the container or not.

Anyway, since I still don't understand where/how to upload a docker image nad how to connect to ca, if somebody else wants to do this, now he/she has all the things that should be needed.

@TheHackGuy

Edited by ghost82
1 hour ago, Kim Jorgensen said:

When i try to install it alwayes download Monterey .  But the files it download is named the one i chose like Cataline.

And when i try to install it alwayes end up in the Recocery it newer start OSX after installing.

Any other have the same problem and have found a fix ?

It seems to work when i chose Download Methode 2

37 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

I am in the process of remaking Macinabox & adding some new features and hope to have it finished by next weekend.

I am sorry for the lack of updates recently on this container.

Thankyou @ghost82 for all you have done in answering questions here and on github and sorry i havent reached out to you before.

Really nice. Thank you for your great work about this !

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

I am in the process of remaking Macinabox & adding some new features and hope to have it finished by next weekend.

Thankyou @ghost82 for all you have done in answering questions here and on github and sorry i havent reached out to you before.

Nice! Is it going to work with Monterey or  6600 AMDs graphic cards ?

Does the  6800XT work ?

1 minute ago, ghost82 said:

this does not depend on the container in any way...we already pointed you to dortania gpu buyer guide, where there are lists for compatible and not compatible gpus.

yes, thank you.

Macinabox is not able to fetch Monterey it does not have such option. For 6800 i would need one as far i see.

Would 5500 work as primary GPU?

On 1/13/2022 at 12:38 AM, ghost82 said:

On my monterey (same as big sur), 6900 xt + unfairgva injection makes drm to work and I have full hardware encoding/decoding.

what about 5500, i read that encoder is bad, so if i would like to run e.g parsec as host it would be bad quality.

I'm thinking of using it, but it has to be a primary card.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:25 AM, macmus said:

I'm sorry i don't understand a single word..

U mean you using 710 on MacOs VM to run WoW?

i don't play, it for use......

ghost82 have idea's how update high sierra build or install nvidia driver ?

Edited by Exlife
2 hours ago, Exlife said:

have idea's how update high sierra build

There are 2 nvidia gt 710:

GT 710 (GF119 variant)

GT 710 (GK208 variant)

- GF119 variant is compatible till high sierra only, there are some tutorial on youtube with clover about how to install high sierra with this (basically enable only vesa on the gpu and once installed inject nvidia).

- GK208 is compatible till big sur only.

Monterey should show in system preferences, but the nvidia gpu will not work on Monterey in any way (apart from installing the drivers in monterey from big sur, changing sip, disable secure boot and unseal the volume) --> not recommended unless you know what you're doing.

Big Sur will still work for the GK208 variant, but you need to manually download the dmg (with MDS application for example), mount it, and run the 'install mac os big sur.app'.

MDS:

https://twocanoes.com/products/mac/mac-deploy-stick/

On 1/12/2022 at 11:14 PM, Rinny said:

Is there a way to force an installation of BigSur. No matter which method I use, it tries to install Monterey. I only have an NVIDIA card which unfortunately is no longer supported with the latest MacOS version.

Is Nvidia supported in BigSur? I though Nvidia cards are supported in High Sierra and nothing newer.

On 1/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, Exlife said:

ghost82. 

i need 1060 6GB =)) macinbox high sierra 10.13.6(17G2208)

I can somethink to do or not ?

Today i try change install image with other bild. failure

What's programm i can use to convert dmg to img for unraid ?

Spaceinvader said he was working on it! 

On 1/15/2022 at 1:02 PM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Awesome news! Can't wait!