[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

11 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:
<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

An important clarification!

bus 0x01 is not "built-in", bus 0x00 is.

However, in the code in github it is (in)correctly set to bus 0x00.

"Incorrectly" because the address of the nic is currently set at bus 0x00, slot 0x00 and function 0x00, which should be a reserved address for host bridge!

This should be changed to bus 0x00, slot 0x02 and function 0x00

• Like 1

Um yeah thanks for pointing that out.

The problem is, is that Unraid VM manager on an update from making a change in the GUI (not xml edit) will automatically change the nics to be on bus 0x01 hence address to

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

I will take a look at this and perhaps add to the macinabox helper script to fix this.

• Like 2

Hi, 

Firstly "good work" to SpaceInvaderOne.

Secondly, I am wondering if anyone can help. 

I deleted my old Mac VM and now when I am try to run the VM for the first time I get the attached error: I suspect strongly I have b**gered something up, maybe I left half a macinabox lying around. I have tried deleting everything and reinstalling but still no luck. 

Any pointers?

Thanks

image.png.aa80f12286f5424a65ba80db3998c33d.png

Edited by Black Aura

I'm never seeing my BigSur/Monterey (tried both) disks upon first reboot after the initial config and disk erase/reconfig - only getting macOS Base System, macOS Installer, Recovery, UEFI Shell, and reset NVRAM. Before this newest version I was able to see the new BigSur disk I created. If I pick either of the first two options it takes me back through the initial install process but my BigSur disk is already formatted. I'm using default settings otherwise and I've tried deleting the scripts, docker, and deleting the appdata twice and retrying, but with the same results...

image.thumb.png.e1af1f5c4e918d1533dcb2f67dfce9f2.png

Thank you for your hard work in making it easier for us to install and use MacOS!
I tried to install High Sierra with your various tutorials. Each time I had various and varied problems, probably because of the hardware.
With the new MacInABox I am installing HighSierra, congratulations for working it again.
I noticed excessive slowness when writing files to volumes. The same is true for speeds via the network.
Here is a screenshot of the installation which takes a very long time:

High-Sierra-Mac-In-ABox.png

My machine has an X79 motherboard and 64GB of RAM with an SSD.

Once again thank you for MacinaBox which helps me to understand MacOS virtualization and all the work you have brought us.

5 hours ago, Black Aura said:

Hi, 

Firstly "good work" to SpaceInvaderOne.

Secondly, I am wondering if anyone can help. 

I deleted my old Mac VM and now when I am try to run the VM for the first time I get the attached error: I suspect strongly I have b**gered something up, maybe I left half a macinabox lying around. I have tried deleting everything and reinstalling but still no luck. 

Any pointers?

Thanks

image.png.aa80f12286f5424a65ba80db3998c33d.png

Are you trying to install Catalina? I'm having the same issue on Catalina. Big Sur installed nicely but I'm having this issue with Catalina. Also the Iso default location is not used in the xml (looking for the iso under /isos/macinabox catalina/ which it shouldn't) so I'm guessing something is off with the template.

8 hours ago, polishprocessors said:

I'm never seeing my BigSur/Monterey (tried both) disks upon first reboot after the initial config and disk erase/reconfig - only getting macOS Base System, macOS Installer, Recovery, UEFI Shell, and reset NVRAM. Before this newest version I was able to see the new BigSur disk I created. If I pick either of the first two options it takes me back through the initial install process but my BigSur disk is already formatted. I'm using default settings otherwise and I've tried deleting the scripts, docker, and deleting the appdata twice and retrying, but with the same results...

image.thumb.png.e1af1f5c4e918d1533dcb2f67dfce9f2.png

I have this exact same issue, I've tried several times and looked over the XML as well but can't see what I'm missing.  Once installation completes and the system reboots the disk image where MAC OS is installed never appears.

1 hour ago, mrubich16 said:

I have this exact same issue, I've tried several times and looked over the XML as well but can't see what I'm missing.  Once installation completes and the system reboots the disk image where MAC OS is installed never appears.

On first reboot, you have to choose "macOS Installer" to complete installation.

11 hours ago, EG-Thundy said:

Are you trying to install Catalina? I'm having the same issue on Catalina. Big Sur installed nicely but I'm having this issue with Catalina. Also the Iso default location is not used in the xml (looking for the iso under /isos/macinabox catalina/ which it shouldn't) so I'm guessing something is off with the template.

This makes sense. I'm also having the issue with Monterey, I'll try Catalina or Big Sur tomorrow just to see but I get the "master var store" error.

17 hours ago, EG-Thundy said:

I am having the same issue with Monterey, Big Sur, Catalina. I tried method 1 and method 2.

I suppose I could try the other versions.

3 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Installation is not from disk to disk, but it's a network installation, meaning that you download the base system image and then download from apple servers the installer.

OK, I understand now. 

Catalina-install.img & HighSierra-install.img are just a part of DVD install. Thanks !

11 hours ago, PicPoc said:

On first reboot, you have to choose "macOS Installer" to complete installation.

Correction, for both me and anyone else with the similar issue. I had to choose MacOS Installer *twice* (the first reboot + ~30m of install, the second reboot + ~5m of install) before I saw my disk relabeled BigSur. Then I had to go through the usual (from previous Macinabox install attempts) multiple reboots to get it to install. I'll see how it goes from here, but so far so good, just didn't expect this from previous attempts...