[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

have a general question: what’s the best amd gpu to use in unraid for a macOS vm? 

because of the reset bug my whole unraid crashes sometimes hard and only hard reset is needed to get unraid back to work. I tried the plugin but it doesn’t help. 

so can somebody tell me which GPU (model, manufacturer, Revsion) will work best for this scenario? With or without the vendor reset plugin. 

thanks 

1 hour ago, squish102 said:

I have tried multiple installs of Big Sur but I cannot get Message to work properly.

I install with all the defaults. I do the OpenCore steps according to the latest SpaceInvader (love this) video. I have created a new AppleID account. I first log in without AppleID and then connect to appleID.

When I open Message and log in, it is successful and then closes 5-10 seconds later. I have looked at the confusing steps that others have put up to "fix" the issue, but they don't seem to apply to me.

If I log in with my own apple id in the VM (using vnc viewer), Messages works fine and doesn't shut down. 

If I use new appleid and then use messages on my macbook, the appleid works fine.

So I think macinabox Messages is fine (works with my appleid) AND new appleID works fine (works on my macbook)

BUT I cannot get new appleid to work in macinabox and I don't know where to look or what steps to take next. Any help would be welcomed. 

Does the AppStore work?

16 minutes ago, Benedict Eich said:

Does the AppStore work?

Yes the AppStore is successfully logged in and application downloaded. I don't need facetime, but when trying to log in to facetime with the new AppleID, it has a spinning circle and then back to login page with no errors.

31 minutes ago, squish102 said:

Yes the AppStore is successfully logged in and application downloaded. I don't need facetime, but when trying to log in to facetime with the new AppleID, it has a spinning circle and then back to login page with no errors.

Did you change to „localtime“ in the xml where it says <clock offset='utc'>? Put localtime where utc is

Edited by Benedict Eich
18 minutes ago, Benedict Eich said:

Did you change to „localtime“ in the xml where it says <clock offset='utc'>? Put localtime where utc is

I still had it set to utc, I changed it to localtime, but I still have the same issue. After booting up the first time, I did change the timezone to my timezone to get the time right.

Log into it using new AppleID - Logs in, shows iMessage for 5 seconds and kicks back to login screen.

Log into it using my personal AppleID. Logs in, prompts me for mfa, and it works.

That is what has me so confused.

Hm I don’t know. Maybe because of logged in before. Log out in settings and try again maybe this will help…

to be clear you have to write the word „localtime“ in there. 🙈

i did. those settings and I works fine. Maybe you have to reinstall the VM because something inside macOS is wrong. 

but first I would try to log out under settings, reboot and log back in 

On 7/24/2022 at 11:10 PM, msava said:

operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd

Maybe related to wrong path, from your screenshot system has a capital letter:

/mnt/user/System/...

Same for other paths, log is reporting all lower case.

19 hours ago, squish102 said:

I have tried multiple installs of Big Sur but I cannot get Message to work properly.

You need to generate proper smbios data, you need to setup en0 interface as "built-in", don't use vmxnet3, these are the main things.

Search the forum for imessage/facetime, this topic has been discussed several times.

3 hours ago, ghost82 said:

You need to generate proper smbios data, you need to setup en0 interface as "built-in", don't use vmxnet3, these are the main things.

Search the forum for imessage/facetime, this topic has been discussed several times.

"generate proper smbios" Is that the part in the video where you use the openCore Configurator, mount EFI and open the config.plist, go to platforminfo, select a machine and check the serial number on apple to make sure it says invalid? I do notice that when I close , save and reopen config.plist it is blank again. I have checked my en0 and builtin with hackintool. 

16 hours ago, ghost82 said:

I followed this guide, which is a little diffferent to the youtube explanation at the start. 

I think the big change was not to run the script after the first install and edit the xml by hand with a change to the network card. After 2 days of reinstalling multiple versons this worked. Thanks for the help.

Hello, im New with macinabox and unraid. 
My setup: 

asus Prime X399 A

Threadripper 1920x

gtx970

well i install high sierra with latest macinabox. M’y vm doing well with vnc. But when i tried to passthrough my gpu my computer screen go black with no signal. 

on my vm i already install nvdia webdriver. 
And of course when i tried tu return on vnc i got the « screen ont setup(yet).

someone can help me ?

thanks a lot :)

Did you install the correct version of the web drivers?

Did you modify the opencore config.plist to enable web drivers on boot? --> in boot-args:

nvda_drv_vrl=1

About vnc, the qxl virtual video adapter must be on bus 0, better to be in bus 0, slot 1, function 0.

Edited by ghost82

I will try this next day but let me know:

wich port on my gpu should i use ? Dvi - dp or hdmi ? I can plug all if needed. 
and should i bind my gpu ? I have the same  result if i do or not. When i launch the vm, nothing appear And the screen of my tower turns of. 

thanks for help :)

Edited by Tikos
20 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Did you install the correct version of the web drivers?

Did you modify the opencore config.plist to enable web drivers on boot? --> in boot-args:

nvda_drv_vrl=1

About vnc, the qxl virtual video adapter must be on bus 0, better to be in bus 0, slot 1, function 0.

hello, i came back to you.

I add the boot args: no results. My screen turns off when i launch my vm and no signal from any port.

i paste the last line in log of the vm 

-device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-audiodev '{"id":"audio1","driver":"none"}' \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:41:00.0,id=hostdev0,bus=pci.3,multifunction=on,addr=0x0 \
-device vfio-pci,host=0000:41:00.1,id=hostdev1,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0.0x1 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

I modify the xml for passthrough like spaceinersone explain in its dedicated video.

for the web driver i put the last version on website.

I got no idea from now xD

Today I tried to update my Monterey Macinabox VM to Ventura B4 with 0 success.

I downloaded the beta via apple dev, ran the installer, waited 15 mins and the VM rebooted back to Monterey as if nothing had happened, no errors, nada. Anyone had any success getting Ventura installed?

On 8/1/2022 at 6:01 PM, mikeyosm said:

Anyone had any success getting Ventura installed?

Ventura is not officially supported.

Anyway, to boot and install it you should upgrade opencore and all the kexts to the latest release version.

Make sure you have also a real haswell or newer cpu, cpus with no avx2 are no more supported.

You may need to change also the emulated cpu from penryn (passthrough or emulated haswell+).

Edited by ghost82
16 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Ventura is not officially supported.

Anyway, to boot and install it you should upgrade opencore and all the kexts to the latest release version.

Make sure you have also a real haswell or newer cpu, cpus with no avx2 are no more supported.

You may need to change also the emulated cpu from penryn (passthrough or emulated haswell+).

it's a fresh install so using opencore v17 as boot picker. Here is my qemu args, please let me know what if anything i need to add/change.... I'm running AMD 3950X - Monterey VM working fine.

old (works with Monterey not Ventura)

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+hypervisor,+invtsc,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+fma,+bmi1,+bmi2,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>

new (still doesnt work with Ventura)

<qemu:arg value='Haswell,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_eoi,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+hypervisor,+invtsc,kvm=on'/>

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=ynwa'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Haswell,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_eoi,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+hypervisor,+invtsc,kvm=on'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-global'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off'/>
  </qemu:commandline>

2 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

it's a fresh install so using opencore v17 as boot picker. Here is my qemu args, please let me know what if anything i need to add/change.... I'm running AMD 3950X - Monterey VM working fine.

old (works with Monterey not Ventura)

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+hypervisor,+invtsc,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+fma,+bmi1,+bmi2,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>

new (still doesnt work with Ventura)

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=ynwa'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-global'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off'/>
  </qemu:commandline>

UPDATE - 

Updated OC boot picker img to 0.8.3 OC release, switched vcpu to 1 core, 1 thread and hey presto, ventura b4 boots to disk image and now is happily installing. I used the same qemu args as Monterey.

UPDATE 2 - Install completed, rebooted got to country picker, crashed and rebooted. Ventura seems to be more of a challenge and I guess needs some opencore/kexts tweaking for this to work reliably in KVM.

Edited by mikeyosm

Installed Macinabox docker, chose Big Sur, executed the two user scripts... and now I am stuck at the Recovery.

It boots off the recovery virtual disk, and even if I choose to reinstall Big Sur, the system cannot find the volume for the installation.

Tried to change the third disk from VirtIO to SATA {like in the video shown in the first page of this thread}, but to no avail.

It shows only the Base OS disk, no install disk, no target disk. Even the recovery is not visible, though after a while it defaults to it...

Of course I edited the user script as per instructions.

Here are a few screen captures 7wLOmdH.jpgAph63Qi.jpgBs7r4YU.jpg

Before writing this post I have tried to search for an answer on this forum. I guess I used the wrong keywords, cause it is the first time I could not find a solution.

Any clue?

I am quite green, I started with Unraid short time ago, and I still have to learn a few basic details, especially regarding Dockers and VMs management.

EDIT:

maybe it's important, the machine is an HP Z800 workstation, with two Xeon X5670 

processors and a total of 64GB of registered RAM.

It has worked well so far with Centos Stream 8 and Microsoft Server 2022 VM's.

I can feed a couple of USB devices to the VM (Bluetooth works fine), but if I choose the onboard audio both the VMs cannot start.

Cheers

Paolo

Edited by paolinop
added pics