[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

18 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

You probably need to format it (apfs) from disk utility, booted from recovery, next exit disk utility and choose install mac os.

Of course I tried. First thing I did.

No Disk Utility available on this Recovery! 

EDIT:

Sorry sorry sorry

The Disk Utility was among the options in the recovery startup screen!

My bad, I goofed

Let's see how it plays out

Thanks for the reminder, I wouldn't check again if you didn't answer

Edited by paolinop
2 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

What kind of recovery are you talking about?I never seen a mac os recovery withut disk utilities...any screenshot?

If I remember correctly the disk utility used to be available from the menu up in the screen... I was almost sure about that, but of course I was wrong! 

9 minutes ago, paolinop said:

If I remember correctly the disk utility used to be available from the menu up in the screen... I was almost sure about that, but of course I was wrong! 

so is it solved now?when you boot the recovery you have a rectangular window with 4 or 5 choices (can t remember exactly). One of those is disk utility.

Edited by ghost82
9 hours ago, ghost82 said:

so is it solved now?when you boot the recovery you have a rectangular window with 4 or 5 choices (can t remember exactly). One of those is disk utility.

Yes, that problem is solved. I thought to remember that Disk Utility could be invoked from the Utility menu on the top of the screen... 

Now  Mac OS is installed, but I could not pass through my old Quadro FX 1800 graphic card to the BigSur VM.

I tried to change a lot of options with no luck. It's a pity cause the two options available for the VNC virtual graphic cards are both very slow, and I found no way to change the resolution.

Any advice/link?

Thanks for again the heads up, by the way

cheers

P

Edited by paolinop

Hi guys,kinda late to the party here but i'm having a problem.

I followed the instructions to the letter when watching the YouTube vid about Hackinabox,I tried Big Sur,Monteray,and Catalina but for some reason when it comes time to pick the drive to boot MacOS  the drive I formatted and installed the OS to doesn't show up for some reason.

This pic I have doesn't show Big Sur so no way to boot  :(  

Ive been at this for like 2 days now  :(

Sorry for crappy pic I used my phone.

Not sure what I am doing wrong Please help.

20220804_210329.jpg

Edited by JamesJB
7 hours ago, JamesJB said:

Not sure what I am doing wrong Please help.

follow the tutorial, your installation is not completed.

mac os base system is the recovery (first boot), you need to select mac os installer to complete the installation, or better, let the bootpicker timeout without selecting anything and it will automatically select and boot the proper partition to complete the installation, all is managed by nvram entries.

Edited by ghost82
7 hours ago, ghost82 said:

follow the tutorial, your installation is not completed.

mac os base system is the recovery (first boot), you need to select mac os installer to complete the installation, or better, let the bootpicker timeout without selecting anything and it will automatically select and boot the proper partition to complete the installation, all is managed by nvram entries.

Hiya if you go to 9:00 on the Youtube tutorial thats one of things I did and if you go to 9:07 I erased the disk like i'm suppose to and renamed the largest disk to Big Sur then I picked "Reinstall macOS Big Sur" Then I picked Big Sur hard drive then I let it download which took me like 46min. Then the macOS rebooted and the screen at 9:39 is when im suppose to pick boot drive which is suppose to be Big Sur so it can boot but like in the pic above I don't get that Big Sur Drive again so it can't go in to macOS.

I did pick macOS installer to see what would happen but after another 24 min it will go back to the recovery window that shows up back in the video at 8:59.

I will try and do as you say and not pick a drive and let it time out and see what happens.  Any idea how long it normally takes to time out?

Edit;

I let it sit for a hour or so but no luck :(

Edited by JamesJB
1 hour ago, JamesJB said:

then I let it download which took me like 46min.

the recovery needs to download more or less 12 gb, unless you have a fast connection it sounds like you have a corrupted installer and that's probably why it reboots to the bootscreen. I would start from scratch again.

Edited by ghost82
11 hours ago, ghost82 said:

the recovery needs to download more or less 12 gb, unless you have a fast connection it sounds like you have a corrupted installer and that's probably why it reboots to the bootscreen. I would start from scratch again.

I have restarted from scratch like 7 or 8 times or more in the last 2 days or so  :( 

I am beginning to think Macinabox hates me lol.

My connection from RCN is 1G download.

I tried to see if I can use Method 2 to download but that option doesnt even show up like it did in the video tutorial.

Hmm I wonder if you go to 9:06 in the tutorial you can see he has 3 drives 2 say QEMO and 1 says macOS Base system before he formats and names the biggest one that he picks to Big Sur,mine has Apple Inc. VirtlO Block Media,1 QEMO and macOS Base System. I pick the Apple Inc. which is the largest at 350G. I rename it to Big Sur like he says to when picking the largest.

So I am wondering if this could be the problem cause i have the Apple Inc. instead of QEMO like his.

Edit;

I am beginning to think Macinabox may be broken cause I got a response from someone on Youtube at the Tutorial  that he is having the same issues.  Also I noticed that Macinabox is like 2 years now thought it was newer than that.  I know for a fact Catalina works on my server in a VM cause I remember following a tutorial from SpaceInvader One a few years ago and it worked I just cant find that one anymore  :(  I Hope/Wish SpaceInvader One may work on Macinabox once again in the near future. 

Would Love to try out Big Sur.  Really wish Mac Books didn't cost so much lol.

Edited by JamesJB

I think I got it working except one thing, and its driving me crazy!

I have the keyboard setup in VM as VNC DK

And in the macinabox I have the:

image.png.720d3796f638bce1445b93518f9ddf64.png

And I have the mapping:

image.png.e686a05d177a913cc32c78264ff434d0.png

Also I am using the Splashtop as remote desktop

Tried both options:

image.png.6826b4a2722b380c6174e3463ecd9e09.png

How do I get the "@" working the "Alt +2" does not work?

I have read multiple solutions but no one works?

3 hours ago, casperse said:

And I have the mapping:

Tried both options:

How did ya Get it working?  I can't get passed the part where ya need to install the OS  Big Sur doesn't show up for me the second time. Look above at the pic to see what I mean.

On 8/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, ghost82 said:

Ok I think I got it now,I used macOS Install on that screen twice and it finally showed the Big Sur  Hard Drive.

Edited by JamesJB
On 8/5/2022 at 3:49 PM, ghost82 said:

Everything works now. Curious I see that there are updates for the OS can I download them or will it mess up the OS?

21 hours ago, casperse said:

And I have the mapping:

Tried both options:

Anyone - do you have keyboard layout working remotely as US/UK and are you able to write @ with the "action" + 2
I have tried multiple options and sofar no luck?
Have you VM template as US vnc default? or have you changed it to native country? (If you got this working) 🙂

5 hours ago, song said:

When will "Ventura" be supported? I have upgraded the OpenCORE boot and kext to the latest version. After the installation is completed, the boot appears "five languages" and cannot enter the system!

Me too. Installed Ventura B4 up to the country select screen and then random reboots occur. Using latest 0.8.3 opencore.

3 hours ago, mikeyosm said:

Me too. Installed Ventura B4 up to the country select screen and then random reboots occur. Using latest 0.8.3 opencore.

I need to wait a moment. Maybe it can only be used when the official version is needed. I use Big Sur now. There will be problems when I use Monterey. The auxiliary functions of the setting panel will not be able to be turned on. After restarting the Mac, I can enter it normally. However, after a period of time, this situation will occur again. I can't enter it to display the preference setting error

Greetings. I noticed one thing. When I run the helper script for the first time to make changes to the xml - everything is fine. But when I change the xml, add memory, bark or whatever, then run the helper script, I get a black screen. At the moment I'm just manually editing the xml.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? 

my actions are: 1) make changes to the VM 2) In the helper script I change the vm name 3) run the helper script

1. Download new iso

2. start vm with new iso. So edit iso path (unraid won’t show it. Put it in your iso folder and type the iso name by hand) and run helper script

3. run configurator and make changes 

4. save files on efi partition

5. change cores, RAM etc.

6. Remove all isos accept your vdisk 

7. run helper script

Edited by Benedict Eich