[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

2 minutes ago, ThierryLC said:

but the mouse and keyboard connected to the Fresco PCI card still don't work.

I really don't know what's happening here...XH01 is successfully injected but there's still no trace of the fresco controller. No errors in the diagnostics.

Unfortunatly I think I have the same fresco card but I cannot test with Ventura, I'm stuck at Monterey, because my cpu doesn't support avx2 and my gpu requires it.

@ghost82 

I have successfully implemented your Ventura topology on my Big Sur configuration, and I'm pleased to report that everything is functioning smoothly on BigSur, including the GPU passthrough of the USB PCI card with mouse and keyboard integration. 😀

I believe I have now achieved my highest level of hackintosh proficiency, and I am content with using this BigSur vm for the time being.

However, I am eager to expand my knowledge of Python programming for future exciting projects. I need to quickly acquire the necessary skills to code in Python.

Once again, I sincerely appreciate your assistance and the valuable contributions you make to the community.
(Special thanks to ChatGPT for rewriting my poor english ;-)

Edited by ThierryLC
  • Like 1

Something changed with ventura on the usb side. If your goal is to have only mouse and keyboard working I think you can have success in emulating a usb 3 controller (xhci) instead of usb 2 (ehci+uhci) and attaching the dongle to that; obviously you need to make changes to ssdt. I think also you wont have any issue by upgrading from big sur to monterey with the actual config.

ps: I remember the exciting days of my first gpu passthrough 4-5 years ago in a high sierra vm...I will never forget those days...

Edited by ghost82
14 hours ago, ThierryLC said:

@Rutj87 Sorry, I misunderstood your original request.
I followed the instructions available here: https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM

from this step : « Clone this repository on your QEMU system.… »

I stumbled on the image conversion step with dmg2img because I couldn't install it with the unraid terminal.

I think I got around the obstacle by converting the image within another BigSur virtual machine. I don't remember that part very well.

I adapted the macOS-libvirt-Catalina.xml file to my configuration, placed the various disk images in the indicated directories and found the correct pci topology. but I would have done better to use its automatic installation script ./OpenCore-Boot.sh

@ThierryLC Did you get this running using Macinabox with unraid?

I have created Ventura img but still getting stuck in the same boot loop. Are you able to share your OpenCore file?

@ghost82 I know you have tried to help before - any new suggestions? Haven't given up hope of getting Monterey or Ventura to run on Ryzen 5600G

Edited by Rutj87
Update

@Rutj87

I used macinabox to create my first vms or get configuration templates to apply on Monterey or Ventura.  Then I used the virt-manager docker to cleanly modify my configuration files.

Your loop problem inspires me a question: is the disk image bootable?  Did you copy an EFI folder from OpenCore to the hidden EFI partition?  I use OpenCore Configurator in this step.  

You could connect this disk in another vm as a second disk and add/edit the EFI folder then reconnect this disk to Ventura.  

I already shared my confit.plist file yesterday in the EFI.zip archive

Hey all, sorry if this is known, but, when selecting Monterey the installer is downloading Ventura. This may be why some are experiencing issues.

Does anyone know how to get the .img for Monterey like for the others? I tried downloading via the Mac store and I can convert to .ISO and convert that to .IMG but it doesn't contain the same files as what macinabox is able to pull.

• 2 weeks later...

hello everyone, this being my first attempt in installing mac vm, following SIO's  youtube video, but i am struck in installation where it says "an internet connection is required to install macOS", what i have missed ?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I installed BigSur with Success.

Tried Montery but get into instand Bootloop after first start of the VM. Did nothing change in the VM settings, all standard and helper script run. Tried different Ram Size and Cores but with no success,

Behavior: OS installer runs for a minute and then reboots with come up Apple System warning, "something went wrong..." and the infinity boot loop.

Anyone has a tip how to bring Montery to install?

Edited by mikep70
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question. I don't have a Mac VM set up right now. I've tried multiple times to and have an RX580 I passthrough to it but I've never been able to get audio, even from the display ports. In order to get it to work do I need to flash it? I've tried passing the VBIOS through instead of using what is on the card but no matter what I get no audio at all. I'd love to get a Mac VM set up at some point.

1 hour ago, falkfyrebeard said:

Quick question. I don't have a Mac VM set up right now. I've tried multiple times to and have an RX580 I passthrough to it but I've never been able to get audio, even from the display ports. In order to get it to work do I need to flash it? I've tried passing the VBIOS through instead of using what is on the card but no matter what I get no audio at all. I'd love to get a Mac VM set up at some point.

You probably didn't set your gpu as a multifunction device; whatevergreen kext needs the audio part to be on function 1, same slot and same bus as the video part of the gpu, as in the real hardware.

2 hours ago, falkfyrebeard said:

The gpu video and audio needs to be on the same bus, by default (if you use the gui) the audio are gonna be on the next bus, for example it'll look something like this if you save with the gui = 

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/vbios/vega56.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

But you NEED to change the bus to the same as the gfx, and add the function '0x1' to the audio adress, like this = 

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/vbios/vega56.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

The video and audio needs to be on the same bus in osx. 

And you don't need to use macinabox after editing the xml, just make sure add something like this at the end of the xml = 

</devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-global'/>
    <qemu:arg value='ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='************************'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,+hypervisor,+invtsc,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+fma,+fma4,+bmi1,+bmi2,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+rdrand,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

But if you're still having trouble, i'd suggest reading up on a bunch of forums found on google.

Edited by BeardElk
  • 3 weeks later...