[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

On 11/12/2019 at 11:36 AM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Ok so I didnt realise that you are having the issue when the vm is using the GPU.

What the problem is is that I you are using a Nvidia gpu.I thought you had gone back to vnc.

An nvidia GPU this needs web drivers to make work.

So 3 things you will need to do.

1. Boot back into the vm without passthrough using vnc. Install splashtop desktop personal streamer (free) https://www.splashtop.com/streamer

on the vm. And the Spalashtop desktop on your computer.

2. Open the clover configurator and goto system parameters and check nvidia web

then on smbios make sure you have product imac 14,1 (see pics)

993133966_ScreenShot2019-11-12at16_27_09.thumb.png.08438dd6b18550df79b1ec128c177251.png

599833274_ScreenShot2019-11-12at16_27_40.thumb.png.0ba81226b8f9ffd91070147a01e1a96e.png

3. Stop then vm. passthrough the graphics card again, then boot. (you will still see the garbled screen)

Use splashtop to connect to the screen. It will be very small screen but don't worry.

Open terminal and run this 

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

That will install the webdrivers for the gpu easily.

After that reboot and you should have a workable vm !! ....hopefully 😃

I have one GTX 1060 in my unRaid,  and tried to pass through to High Sierra, NO LUCK.

I follow all these instruction, 

And I have also followed this video to make the ROM Bios, again High Sierra couldn't  pickup the gpu.

Any Ideas? 

Right now, under "About this mac" , the Graphics section is empty.

22 hours ago, TheBash said:

Hey @sonicyouth just start the docker image as normal. Then right click on it and start the console. There you enter:

apt install nano

Then with nano installed open the file /macinabox/unraid.sh and change the Product ID 041-83630 to 061-10700 ;)

Restart the docker container and there u go 😛

I having the same issue. Though when I type in "nano /macinabox/unraid.sh" I get a directory does not exits error.
Macinabox is running and Nano is installed. what am I overlocking? 🤔

This is more of a mac question - Using Catalina and MacOs downloaded all the photos and started filling up my virtual drive - i don't mind having access to the photos but prefer they stay in the could.  How can i get the photos deleted off the VM to make space without deleting the originals.. I want them to stay online, access them and remain on my iphone. 

Thanks In Advance.

1 hour ago, FrozenGamer said:

This is more of a mac question - Using Catalina and MacOs downloaded all the photos and started filling up my virtual drive - i don't mind having access to the photos but prefer they stay in the could.  How can i get the photos deleted off the VM to make space without deleting the originals.. I want them to stay online, access them and remain on my iphone. 

Thanks In Advance.

In Catalina go to settings - Apple-ID, under iCloud uncheck which filetypes you do not want to be permanently stored on the disk.

3 hours ago, FrozenGamer said:

Thanks In Advance.

Great to see another user of Photos on Catalina. Can you help me check whether you have a photos tab on the left side (and then top bar allowing you to select all, years, months, etc.). Somehow, my bar on the left starts with memories.

17 hours ago, ray.-s said:

I have one GTX 1060 in my unRaid,  and tried to pass through to High Sierra, NO LUCK.

I follow all these instruction, 

And I have also followed this video to make the ROM Bios, again High Sierra couldn't  pickup the gpu.

Any Ideas? 

Right now, under "About this mac" , the Graphics section is empty.

So you are able to boot and get output through your 1060 as you can get to about this mac. Then gpu is passed through.

Otherwise you would see nothing when the vm boots.

That means MacOS doesnt have the nvidia webdrivers loaded.

Have you enabled nvidiaweb in clover configurator?

Then installed the correct nvidia web drivers and rebooted ?

4 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Container updated with new Catalina product code

Awesome, thanks!

Just in general, would this issue have caused issues for a manual update within Catalina? In other words, is there a risk for an upgrade to break things on existing VM?

Do you mind to check out your Photos app in Catalina? Does it show a photos tab on the right (and then all / years) on the top. Mine oddly start with memories and I cannot select all photos.

1 minute ago, steve1977 said:

Awesome, thanks!

Just in general, would this issue have caused issues for a manual update within Catalina? In other words, is there a risk for an upgrade to break things on existing VM?

Do you mind to check out your Photos app in Catalina? Does it show a photos tab on the right (and then all / years) on the top. Mine oddly start with memories and I cannot select all photos.

Using a hackintosh its always possible that an update can break things. But for us using a vm hackintosh we dont use any strange kexts etc so is not as likely I dont think.

The Catalina product code changing only effects the container as it tries to download that id. So when it changes it cant find what it needs to download. No doubt the id will change again. (it has now 3 times since release i think). Anyone who has already installed Catalina it will not effect that at all.

I will have a look on photos next time im on that machine :)

• Like 1
5 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

So you are able to boot and get output through your 1060 as you can get to about this mac. Then gpu is passed through.

Otherwise you would see nothing when the vm boots.

That means MacOS doesnt have the nvidia webdrivers loaded.

Have you enabled nvidiaweb in clover configurator?

Then installed the correct nvidia web drivers and rebooted ?

Thanks for the reply! love your videos.

Let me clarify,   I used VNC to check whether MAC OS can recognize the gpu,  and it couldn't.  and obviously theres nothing from the HDMI connection.

I guess because I didn't use the correct ROM BIOS for my GPU?  or maybe my motherboard's BIOS version? (MSI x470 gaming plus with latest BIOS)  

Anyway, I  added another gpu into unraid, now I am able to pass the 1060 to the VM.

I've seen somebody else post earlier about black screens with AMD cards, however I can't see anywhere where he posted how he resolved the issue.

I have the same issue with a Catalina VM which runs fine through VNC.

Passing through a USB controller and NVMe drive works fine.

However, when passing through GPU's:

1) AMD Radeon RX570, the boot screen shows up fine, then the Apple logo with progress bar. When it's about to switch to the login screen, well... the screen just goes black. The weird thing is when this happens, the fan on the GPU powers down too.

2) AMD Radeon RX5700 XT is very similar, however instead of going black the screen just seems to freeze just as you'd expect to see the login screen, i.e. still on the Apple logo with progress bar almost complete.

In both (the non-VNC) scenarios one CPU core seems to just sit on 100% until I force quit the VM. If it's relevant, I'm not trying to pass through sound from either GPU.

Both cards work perfectly fine with my Windows 10 VM. And the RX570 used to work fine with my old Mojave VM using SpaceInvaderOnes old Mojave installation guide.

Has anybody got any suggestions? I'll post XML's if requested.

21 minutes ago, david279 said:

Install the whatevergreen kext to your VMs EFI

Thanks for your reply. Do you mind being a bit more specific about how to go about doing this?

i.e. is this done through the VM boot options? Or do I need to install Clover Configurator and do it there?

damn it, just when I get everything running butter smooth haha. Looks like I'll have to upgrade tomorrow, in case something goes wrong it won't be the middle of the night.

BTW, any reason why someone would install anything other than Catalina, which is the latest OS? I need something super stable as I will only be using this VM to run Arq Backup for my backups. Nothing else. Is one version more stable then others?

8 hours ago, david279 said:

Install the whatevergreen kext to your VMs EFI

Right, so I grabbed Clover Configurator and ran it. As I didn't have much of a clue what to do with it I re-watched SpaceInvaderOnes "Complete Guide to Installing MacOS Mojave or High Sierra on Unraid as a VM"

Mounted the EFI partition as described in the Video

Clicked into the Kexts Installer section. I had to manually create the /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.15/ folder in Finder as CC seemed incapable of doing this. Then installed Lilu and WhateverGreen.

Shutdown everything and rebooted the entire system.

Still exactly the same problem - both GPU's fail to proceed past the Apple logo boot screen.

Am I doing this wrong? I wouldn't be at all surprised. Any suggestions would be appreciated

17 hours ago, maxse said:

damn it, just when I get everything running butter smooth haha. Looks like I'll have to upgrade tomorrow, in case something goes wrong it won't be the middle of the night.

BTW, any reason why someone would install anything other than Catalina, which is the latest OS? I need something super stable as I will only be using this VM to run Arq Backup for my backups. Nothing else. Is one version more stable then others?

If you have an older CPU, you might not meet the requirements to run Catalina.