[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

On 1/4/2020 at 3:46 AM, ChasFX said:

Would anyone be able to help me please?

I followed the video to the letter and was all working fine until I changed to 4 CPUs and 8GB RAM.

The VM starts and the splash screen before the OS boots is fine then the OS boots and the screen goes all funny and repeats itself like 5-6 times at top (screenshot attached).

things I have tried..

1. keeping the topology code as only using 4 cpus

2. removing topology code

3. changing e1000 back to virtio.

4. changed vnc graphics to cirrus. Note: although it displayed 3/4 of the screen, its was just line of white noise.

I did it all correctly.. updating the vm template then changing the xml to match but to no avail.

I also got 1 error and 1 warning from the VM log (screenshot attched).

So my xml here is back to just after changing to 4 cpus and 8gb ram and this is where im at...

Not sure if it helps.. my cpu is a Ryzen 1700.

Thanks.

In case you couldnt figure this, check your Arch:

<loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>

32 minutes ago, SavellM said:

In case you couldnt figure this, check your Arch:

<loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>

Yes bud, ghost82 pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for your reply though, your right. That was exactly what was wrong.

I'm a total noob to unraid, dockers, VMs (that are not running on windows) and editing XMLs etc.

Been watching all of SpaceinvaderOne's videos and getting familiar 😁

13 hours ago, ChasFX said:

Yes bud, ghost82 pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for your reply though, your right. That was exactly what was wrong.

I'm a total noob to unraid, dockers, VMs (that are not running on windows) and editing XMLs etc.

Been watching all of SpaceinvaderOne's videos and getting familiar 😁

Same happened to me... Do a diff on the files after you make changes and you can see that a lot more changes than what space invader says in his video. I tried to add a graphics card and wow...if you're new to this stuff you definitely started in about the hardest spot. The diff between XMLs did help though as you can see what is actually changing unexpectedly. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Everything has been working fine... until today.

I started the VM, and in unRAID it shows as started.  However no video signal and it seems the machine stays pegged at 100% on one core.

I have been using it without problems (4 core, 16gb, 570x passed through with working sound)... and then just bupkus.  

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:26 PM, david279 said:

sounds like its stuck in reset. Rebooting the server should get it back. Looks like you got bit by the AMD GPU reset bug.

Hard reset does nothing.  I tweaked xml and can get the VM started now... but no signal.  I wonder if the card is blow... though I would imagine it wouldn't enumerate in system devices if that was the case.  Super bizarre (and frustrating)

EDIT:  ~~Something is borked... now I started from scratch, and on first start... VNC just hangs.~~

EDIT2:  ~~what would cause  a single VCPU to peg @ 100% and log to hang changing the state of the network adapter br0 ?~~

EDIT3:  VNC viewer lets me hit the clover boot loader

EDIT 4:  Dear Jackass (me):  K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid).  My 8pin was not seated all the way (I added a new 2070 a month+ ago, and hadn't fired up my macOS vm since).  Hence, enough power to announce, but not enough to enumerate.  I suck.  Sorry everyone.

EDIT 5:  Back to square1.  All VMs using the Radeon are hanging at boot.  Got it to boot once after re-seating, but that's it.

I am not sure why or how, but the BIOS of my card got nerfed.  After trying several revision of actual BIOS, I used some different Polaris BIOS and got one that worked.  For those of you using a Polaris 20 GPU - The Sapphire Nitro 580 4gb (2017.11.17) worked for my Pulse 570x.  

Edited by J.Nerdy
solved

I have High Sierra running fine from this Docker with Splash Top Desktop, no issues.

Could anyone point me in the direction of the steps to passthrough a GPU/Audio (GTX 1070) and a USB mouse/Keyboard?

I'm seeing mentions of Opencore/Clover not sure what is the prefferred/correct method.

On 1/16/2020 at 3:52 AM, egtrev said:

I have High Sierra running fine from this Docker with Splash Top Desktop, no issues.

Could anyone point me in the direction of the steps to passthrough a GPU/Audio (GTX 1070) and a USB mouse/Keyboard?

I'm seeing mentions of Opencore/Clover not sure what is the prefferred/correct method.

Mouse and keyboard can be done through the template (peripherals on the USB bus show up on the bottom with tick boxes).  Regarding the gtx - I am not certain, but you need a VGA BIOS (check tech power ups library for your card|mfg) & some kext insertions in clover (Lilu, whatevergreen).  I think Space has a video on his channel as well for GPU passthrough in macOS machine

Edit: check this out

Edited by J.Nerdy
1 hour ago, egtrev said:

Thanks, i followed from that video but for whatever reason I can't get any video output at all from my video card once passed through.

VM itself still worked fine through Splashtop.

The video card passthrough seems to working now.

Only thing I can't seem to figure out is the HDMI audio, no output device is found.

Is it possible with nvidia cards to have the audio working in High Sierra? I tried a HDMI Audio Kext form Tonymac but no joy there either.

9 hours ago, egtrev said:

Is it possible with nvidia cards to have the audio working in High Sierra?

Of course, it is possible, my nvidia hdmi audio works well.

9 hours ago, egtrev said:

I tried a HDMI Audio Kext form Tonymac but no joy there either.

What kext? You need lilu, whatevergreen and applealc kexts.

You need to check the xml template according to this post (read chapter 2. GPU )

Edited by ghost82
4 hours ago, ghost82 said:

What kext? You need lilu, whatevergreen and applealc kexts.

I following this thread

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/clover-hdmi-audio-for-nvidia-amd-cards-easy-way.145399/

My XML template looks likes this:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Only difference I can see is bus is 0x01 in the tip thread, but min eis 0x03. If I try to edit that it says "Attempted double use of PCI Address" ( I think the network interface is using 0x01.  Should I change these around?

18 minutes ago, egtrev said:

Should I change these around?

The xml template looks good, remove the kexts you are using and replace and use only lilu, whatevergreen and applealc (download them from github, latest releases, all from acidanthera repository).

Put the kexts in the "other" folder of your clover/opencore bootloader and make sure these kexts are injected (check your bootloader config.plist, for clover, injectkexts = yes in system parameters, for opencore set each kext to "enabled").

Edited by ghost82
20 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

The xml template looks good, remove the kexts you are using and replace and use only lilu, whatevergreen and applealc (download them from github, latest releases, all from acidanthera repository).

Put the kexts in the "other" folder of your clover/opencore bootloader and make sure these kexts are injected (check your bootloader config.plist, for clover, injectkexts = yes in system parameters, for opencore set each kext to "enabled").

I mounted the EFI and replaced the lilu, whatever green and applealc kexts the the other folder with the GitHub ones.

Inject kexts was already at yes in my config.plist system parameters.

I don't see anything under output section of the sound settings at all, after a shutdown and reboot.

Everything else is running great.

24 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

No problem, but it apperas to be corrupted and I can't open it.

Can you please save again a copy and upload again? Before uploading, extract your zip and open it with ioregistry so to check it is not corrupted before the upload.

Here it is again, it does open if I extract it on the Mac VM.

ioreg 2.ioreg.zip

Am I using the right program I wonder? I got it from Apple Developer site (v3.02 it says in about)

26 minutes ago, egtrev said:

Here it is again, it does open if I extract it on the Mac VM

Strange, from the ioreg tree the HDAU is loaded, so your audio should work..Do you have multiple hdmi ports on your gpu (I see different version of gtx 1070, some with one hdmi port, some with 2..)?if so, can you try to switch the port and see if you get audio?

If it still doesn't work you can try The VoodooHDA.kext instead of appleALC, you can download it from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/files/VoodooHDA.kext-292.zip/download

Delete applealc before trying Voodoohda.

11 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Strange, from the ioreg tree the HDAU is loaded, so your audio should work..Do you have multiple hdmi ports on your gpu (I see different version of gtx 1070, some with one hdmi port, some with 2..)?if so, can you try to switch the port and see if you get audio?

If it still doesn't work you can try The VoodooHDA.kext instead of appleALC, you can download it from:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/files/VoodooHDA.kext-292.zip/download

Delete applealc before trying Voodoohda.

It's a Asus Strix, it has 2 HDMI & DP.

Neither ports worked, however VoodooHDA.kext has now given me 4 HDMI devices under sounds but audio doesn't seem to be working, maybe I'm missing something.

Her'e the dump now.

ioreg3.ioreg.zip