[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

everything was working fine...i did a small change to cpu allocation , through basic editor and now i am stuck in a boot loop....

Can anyone assist?

After fixing this:

<loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>xxx</loader>

<nvram>xxx</nvram>

I am getting something like  loading boot003 "clover start boot.efi" 

Edited by bar1

I was able to get my ram/cpu settings pushed through, all is good there.  However, when I boot it up, sometimes it goes into MAC recovery mode. Is there something I need to do to the xml to bypass that?  It essentially goes to the installation screen where you hit enter to boot to the MAC recovery. 

Thanks!

16 hours ago, ledfortr said:

I was able to get my ram/cpu settings pushed through, all is good there.  However, when I boot it up, sometimes it goes into MAC recovery mode. Is there something I need to do to the xml to bypass that?  It essentially goes to the installation screen where you hit enter to boot to the MAC recovery. 

Thanks!

Now I'm having a different issue.  I expanded my cache drives to include another disk in jbod.  That all went well and everything is functioning outside of macinabox.  I got to a point where I was just going to start from scratch with the macinabox docker and I can't delete it or the VM.  I get 'server execution error'.

Thoughts?

On 1/27/2020 at 8:53 AM, ghost82 said:

Hi,

configuration is very personal, especially if you passthrough different devices to your vm.

However, I'm attaching my config (some parts are REDACTED related to machine specification), so you can have a look at it.

Here some advices:

1- ACPI section: I have the following aml files (see attached): SSDT-cpu.aml and SSDT-EC-USBX.aml

These .aml file are in the EFI/OC/ACPI/custom folder

1a- SSDT-cpu.aml: this will inject plugin-type = one, usefull to load x86platformplugin instead of acpi_smc_platformplugin; not usefull to manage power states of your cpu(s) but usefull to let load AGPM, to manage the power management of the GPU

I'm reporting the source code, for your info, if you are interested:

/*
 * Intel ACPI Component Architecture
 * AML/ASL+ Disassembler version 20180427 (64-bit version)(RM)
 * Copyright (c) 2000 - 2018 Intel Corporation
 * Disassembling to non-symbolic legacy ASL operators
 * Disassembly of SSDT-cpu.aml, Mon Jan 27 08:07:16 2020
 * Original Table Header:
 *     Signature        "SSDT"
 *     Length           0x000000B1 (177)
 *     Revision         0x02
 *     Checksum         0xC3
 *     OEM ID           "CpuRef"
 *     OEM Table ID     "CpuPlug"
 *     OEM Revision     0x00003000 (12288)
 *     Compiler ID      "INTL"
 *     Compiler Version 0x20190509 (538510601)
 */
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "CpuRef", "CpuPlug", 0x00003000)
{
    External (_SB_.CPUS.C000, ProcessorObj)    // (from opcode)

Scope (\_SB.CPUS.C000)
    {
        Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (LEqual (Arg0, ToUUID ("a0b5b7c6-1318-441c-b0c9-fe695eaf949b")))
            {
                If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
                {
                    If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
                    {
                        Store (Buffer (One)
                            {
                                 0x03                                           
                            }, Arg4)
                        Return (One)
                    }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
                    {
                        Return (One)
                    }
                }
            }

Store (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x00                                           
                }, Arg4)
            Return (Zero)
        }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
        {
            Store (Package (0x02)
                {
                    "plugin-type", 
                    One
                }, Local0)
            DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
            Return (Local0)
        }
    }
}

1b- SSDT-EC-USBX.aml: this will inject the EC device and usb power properties, usefull for usb devices which needs more power to charge.

I'm reporting the source code, for your info, if you are interested:

/*
 * Intel ACPI Component Architecture
 * AML/ASL+ Disassembler version 20180427 (64-bit version)(RM)
 * Copyright (c) 2000 - 2018 Intel Corporation
 * Disassembling to non-symbolic legacy ASL operators
 * Disassembly of SSDT-EC-USBX.aml, Mon Jan 27 08:11:39 2020
 * Original Table Header:
 *     Signature        "SSDT"
 *     Length           0x000000D4 (212)
 *     Revision         0x02
 *     Checksum         0x67
 *     OEM ID           "hack"
 *     OEM Table ID     "EC-USBX"
 *     OEM Revision     0x00000000 (0)
 *     Compiler ID      "INTL"
 *     Compiler Version 0x20180427 (538444839)
 */
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "EC-USBX", 0x00000000)
{
    Device (_SB.EC)
    {
        Name (_HID, "EC000000")  // _HID: Hardware ID
    }

Device (_SB.USBX)
    {
        Name (_ADR, Zero)  // _ADR: Address
        Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
        {
            If (LNot (Arg2))
            {
                Return (Buffer (One)
                {
                     0x03                                           
                })
            }

Return (Package (0x08)
            {
                "kUSBSleepPortCurrentLimit", 
                0x0834, 
                "kUSBSleepPowerSupply", 
                0x13EC, 
                "kUSBWakePortCurrentLimit", 
                0x0834, 
                "kUSBWakePowerSupply", 
                0x13EC
            })
        }
    }
}

2- DeviceProperties section: I see that you have a layout-id key, most probably it's the layout id for your audio; not sure if it can be specified as <integer>, mine is specified as <data>, but if it works with <integer> do not touch it.

As you can see, I have 2 devices with the built-in key: these are my virtual network cards to show as built-in: this is usefull for the apple store/imessage/etc. to work.

3- Kernel section (kexts): good that you have Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC, check that they are all the latest version; I have 3 more kexts (see attached): AppleMCEReporterDisabler, AGPMInjector and AppleLPCInjector.

AppleMCEReporterDisabler: this disables MCE Reporter, because of a kernel panic on boot if you use iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1 smbios.

AGPMInjector: this injects AGPM, the GPU power manager: if you open the info.plist of this kext you will notice this section:

<key>iMacPro1,1</key>
				<dict>
					<key>Vendor10deDevice100c</key>
					<dict>
						<key>AGDCEnabled</key>
						<integer>1</integer>
						<key>Heuristic</key>
						<dict>
							<key>ID</key>
							<integer>4</integer>
						</dict>
						<key>control-id</key>
						<integer>17</integer>
						<key>max-power-state</key>
						<integer>15</integer>
						<key>min-power-state</key>
						<integer>0</integer>
					</dict>
				</dict>

The first "key line" is my system (iMacPro1,1);

Vendor10deDevice100c: this must be changed according to your gpu: this is the case of a GTX Titan Black: Vendor ID=10de, Device ID=100c; you can find your data with hackintool for example, or with DPCIManager.

Heuristic ID is set to 4: somebody suggests a value of 4 for nvidia gpus and a value of -1 (minus one) for amd gpus.

Change these lines according to your System, or use the Pavo's utility AGPMInjector app to generate this kext: https://github.com/Pavo-IM/AGPMInjector/releases

Note: Pavo's app will generate always an heuristic id equal to -1, also for nvidia gpu; note that in my case AGPM is correctly loaded even with an heuristic id of -1, so not sure if 4 or -1 will is making any difference.

AppleLPCInjector: this inject the LPC device.

4- Kernel patch: I see that you have the "avoid a x86 validate topology error": this is usefull to avoid kernel panic if you specified topology in your xml (not 100% sure but if I remember correctly the panic applies only with iMacPro1,1 and MacPro7,1); I would change the count key from 1 to 0 (0 means always), this should not be necessary, but better 0 in my opinion.

5- Misc --> Tools: I have a couple of tools added (optional): VerifyMsrE2 and CleanNvram (see attached); these are shipped with opencore package/AppleSupportPackage; these tools must be put in the EFI/OC/Tools folder.

6- NVRAM --> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 --> boot-arg: I have some custom boot args, usefull for debug and also I set the busratio of my cpus manually (optional).

7- UEFI section: in addition to apfs.efi (to scan for apfs disks) and FwRuntimeServices, I have HFSPlus.efi (this is usefull when you have to load the recovery partition, no matter if you have your volume formatted as apfs, recovery needs hfs); the older HFSPlus driver loads the recovery partition faster than the driver included into opencore.

I have also AppleUsbKbDxe: this should be used to load the usb keyboard driver, to use the keyboard during opencore boot, does your usb keyboard work even without this driver??

myconfig.plist 11.73 kB · 1 download SSDT-EC-USBX.aml 212 B · 1 download SSDT-cpu.aml 177 B · 1 download Kexts.zip 8.08 kB · 2 downloads Tools.zip 19.19 kB · 1 download Drivers.zip 33.77 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you for the extended clarification and those very useful informations, I was able to apply most of your suggestions and for the first time iMacPro1,1 work without any kernel panic.

1- ACPI section: I did as you suggested and I used the SSDT-cpu.aml you provided, but I couldn't able to make  x86platformplugin to load at all, I have the following CPU features:

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='IvyBridge,vendor=GenuineIntel,+hypervisor,-erms,+invtsc,kvm=on,+topoext,+svm,+invtsc,+fma,+mmxext,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,+sse4a,+bmi1,+bmi2,+arat,+abm,+3dnowprefetch,+adx,+clflushopt,+cr8legacy,+fsgsbase,+fxsr_opt,+misalignsse,+movbe,+osvw,+pclmuldq,+pdpe1gb,+rdrand,+rdseed,+rdtscp,+sha-ni,+smap,+smep,+svm,+vme,+xgetbv1,+xsave,+xsavec,+clwb,+umip,+topoext,+perfctr-core,+amd-ssbd,+wbnoinvd'/>
  </qemu:commandline>

I do planing to make it work because as you suggested it useful to let load AGPM, to manage the power management of the GPU.

I read about this a little bit but I am a bit confused do I need SSDT.aml and run Pike's ssdtPRGen.sh script to generate this file. because in my case I passthrough my CPUs as Ivy Bridge?

I do use dual E5-2690 v4 "Broadwell" in my unraid system I passthrough all the cores expect one core for other unraid tasks. 

2- DeviceProperties section: layout-id it works with <integer> I didn't touch it as use suggested.

I do have a BCM94360cs2 card passthorged as PCI device for the apple store/imessage/etc. to work.

3- Kernel section (kexts): I updated Lilu, Whatevergreen and AppleALC,  I add the 3 kexts you suggested AppleMCEReporterDisabler, AGPMInjector and AppleLPCInjector.

All of them loaded when I check through

kextstat

expet AGPMInjector: I need to make the x86platformplugin load first so I can confirm if it loading or not.

4- Kernel patch: I changed the "avoid a x86 validate topology error" from 1 to 0 as you suggested. 

5- UEFI section: I add HFSPlus.efi didn't know that it is necessary when I have to load the recovery partition,

I add also AppleUsbKbDxe even thought my mouse and keyboard work without it before but I add it anyway.

I can provide any log or debug files in case if you wanna help me to make the x86platformplugin to load.   

Edited by Idris Gsmalla
8 minutes ago, constellation said:

Why the need to stop the array during install? Will just flipping VM's to disabled or enabled accomplish the same thing, or is there something more being done behind the scenes?

Because the plugin creates a VM, but it is not shown in the VM user interface until the array is restarted, for whatever reason.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:54 AM, drawde said:

i'm having the same issue. thoughts? i've seen this in the past, i think my omvf doesn't work as in other VMs i've also had to use seabios.

EDIT: nevermind, seems the instructions has been updated. followed and working now.

How did you change to SeaBIOS?

On 2/1/2020 at 3:03 PM, Idris Gsmalla said:

ACPI section: I did as you suggested and I used the SSDT-cpu.aml you provided, but I couldn't able to make  x86platformplugin to load at all

Can you attach a ioreg dump so I can look at it?

Pike's script if I remember well generates p and c states, but since you are running a vm you won't likely have any c and p states working (at least I was not able to have them even with the overcommit and cpu-pm=on in the xml). No need the p and c states to load X86PlatformPlugin.

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Idris Gsmalla said:

OC folder I configure it as you suggested to and I add it also my Catalina xml file.

Thanks, can you attach also your oc folder (maybe externally)?Please zip the efi folder, do not attach a qcow2 file.

Seems a problem with your oc folder structure or config.plist file, since both .aml are not loading.

Please see if you activated both aml in config.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Add</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>x86PlatformPlugin</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Path</key>
				<string>custom/SSDT-cpu.aml</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>EC and USBX injections</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Path</key>
				<string>custom/SSDT-EC-USBX.aml</string>
			</dict>
		</array>

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Thanks, can you attach also your oc folder (maybe externally)?Please zip the efi folder, do not attach a qcow2 file.

Seems a problem with your oc folder structure or config.plist file, since both .aml are not loading.

Please see if you activated both aml in config.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>Add</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>x86PlatformPlugin</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Path</key>
				<string>custom/SSDT-cpu.aml</string>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>EC and USBX injections</string>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Path</key>
				<string>custom/SSDT-EC-USBX.aml</string>
			</dict>
		</array>

Yes, Both of them are enabled, I added the OC folder as you requested.

Debug file+OC folder.zip

24 minutes ago, Idris Gsmalla said:

Yes, Both of them are enabled, I added the OC folder as you requested.

Ok, you put the .aml in the wrong folder.

Inside ACPI folder create a new directory named "custom" and put aml files in that folder. then check if X86PlatformPlugin is loaded.

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1

hello, followed the video tutorial  vm starts--> VNC remote screen  after a while this message comes up ?(see screenshot ), here is my XML :

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' id='8'>
  <name>MacinaboxCatalina</name>
  <uuid>044fdb6b-71f4-4da6-84c7-3f3cc0d98417</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="default.png" os="Catalina"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/044fdb6b-71f4-4da6-84c7-3f3cc0d98417_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2' index='3'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img' index='2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-4'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:f8:ed:79'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-8-MacinaboxCatalina/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input2'/>
    </input>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
</domain>

any help and guidance will be much appreciate it 

2020-02-03_11-25-38.jpg

21 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Note also that both en0 and en1 are builtin=false from your ioreg and you could have issues; see my above reply to make it/them builtin.

It was a silly mistake to not put the *.aml files in the custom folder in side ACPI, forgive me because I am totally noob when it comes to OC.

Everything works now as intended, thank you very much I do really appreciate your time and efforts. 

I fixed en0 and en1 to built-in=yes. Although one of them is a PCI wireless card.

I attached the new modified ioreg file+OC folder in case if you have any more suggestions. But everything work perfectly. 

1821267491_Screenshot2020-02-03at22_28_53.thumb.png.1e5345018b88b033e32c99f96c2b69be.png

793847621_Screenshot2020-02-03at22_29_17.thumb.png.267608a36736397d32a8e9c1ae73426d.png

628867407_Screenshot2020-02-03at22_40_54.thumb.png.0e70f73ab142ebc56f7bdeb4b0937f2f.png

1362438680_Screenshot2020-02-03at22_41_27.thumb.png.98f1c5128c43414ad5fbe03ece56dfb1.png

Fixed OK.zip

23 hours ago, Mirano said:

@SpaceInvaderOne

This tutorial worked perfectly, I do have 1 question remaining. I have to edit the serial number used in the clover boot image for imessage etc to work. How do i get to retreive that, so i can change it? i would love a solution for this!

With kind regards,

Mirano

It's in the efi folder, in the config.plist file. You can use the app clover configurator, which has a gui to edit the clover configuration.

Hi everyone.

This has probably been asked before somewhere, but I'm having no luck with the search bar today, I'm sorry if I'm creating repetitions.

I recently created a MacOS Catalina VM using the Macinabox App (following the relative video guide from SpaceInvaderOne), everything worked just fine.

I noticed however, monitoring Disk Usage through the File Activity App, that something keeps accessing three specific files (Clover.qcow2, Catalina-install.img and macos_disk.img) even if both the VM and the Macinabox Docker App are currently stopped.

Following an example of the File Activity Report:

Feb 04 15:43:49 OPEN => /mnt/cache/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2
Feb 04 15:43:49 OPEN => /mnt/cache/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img
Feb 04 15:43:49 OPEN => /mnt/cache/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img
Feb 04 15:43:50 OPEN => /mnt/cache/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2
Feb 04 15:43:50 OPEN => /mnt/cache/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img
Feb 04 15:43:50 OPEN => /mnt/cache/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img
Feb 04 15:43:50 OPEN => /mnt/cache/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img

I copied just a few instances, but it goes on.

Any idea what could be causing this behavior?

As I said, VM is Shut Down, The Macinabox App is Stopped, and Mover has no scheduled tasks.

Hello,  

I have successfully installed Catalina in a VM, but I keep running into issues when passing through my RX 560 in my system. When I have a fresh install of catalina and I edit the VM by adding the GPU and then redoing the custom xml, it boots using the RX 560. However when I shut the system down it will never be able to start from that VM again. The only way I can get the vm to work again at all (so using vnc) is to delete the VM (this wont delete the vdisk) and run the macinabox docker which will then just use the same vdisk. Sometimes I wont even be able to boot using the GPU on a "fresh install"(aka removing the VM then letting the docker run again) when e.g. the HDMI is plugged in. I would have to unplug the cable and plug it back in once the system has booted (happened maybe twice)

Does anyone have an idea how I could fix this issue? Thanks in advance!

Sanity check here;

I want to use this container to take advantage of DiskWarrior. I don't own any Apple devices, but I have family members that do and they have issues with HFS+ volumes that are corrupt. The directory tree is broken and FSCK can't fix it. DiskWarrior supposedly can. I also don't have terabytes of storage to do this sort of thing locally on my machine. Enter my unraid server.

Can I:

• Access unraid shares within the OSX Guest?
  • Pass thru the USB disks or the physical SATA volumes to this OSX Guest?

If I edit the VM and add the things I want and save, it no longer boots. I get to the Clover screen, but am dead stopped there.
I'm at work currently so it's difficult to obtain the vm XML or logs since we have a DPI firewall that prevents access over most protocols (ssh, vnc, rdp, even chrome remote desktop is blocked by DPI, and ports for common VPN are just completely disabled.)

I have followed the directions to where I have added cores/memory and all that jazz.  I have passed through a PCIe USB card and the keyboard i have plugged into it works in the bootloader screen and lets me select my boot device.  However, once the mac VM starts up, I am unable to typ ein my password.  Any one else have this issue or know of a better way to pass through a mouse and keyboard? I have my graphics card set up and am trying to use this as a non-critical daily driver.