[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

On 3/30/2020 at 9:47 PM, dkerlee said:

@newmember I had that same problem with the screen. A few bits of info had not gotten fixed in the XML. It's in this post:

These lines

<os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/64fb8168-c7cf-4563-8466-30409f6c1da9_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>

should have been these lines:

<os>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
  </os>

My image was booting with either OS objects.

Thanks I have updated those lines in OS.

I have left the the VM cfg pointing to the /mnt/users/domains/MacintaboxCatalina/ovmf directory 

Cheers

Hi guys,

I really love the work done with this thing, as it allows me to also run mac on the unraid server.

However I am currently facing a problem. I want to install docker, but it always says non-compatible cpu detected, as virtualisation needs to be enabled. I am running a 9900K so I'm sure it should be possible. I also searched through some older posts and added the +vmx and + rtsdp to the xml. Also I unloaded the modprobe thing and enabled nested. But I still have this error.

What else can I do?

Best,
Lukas

11 minutes ago, lukeasoiler said:

Hi guys,

I really love the work done with this thing, as it allows me to also run mac on the unraid server.

However I am currently facing a problem. I want to install docker, but it always says non-compatible cpu detected, as virtualisation needs to be enabled. I am running a 9900K so I'm sure it should be possible. I also searched through some older posts and added the +vmx and + rtsdp to the xml. Also I unloaded the modprobe thing and enabled nested. But I still have this error.

What else can I do?

Best,
Lukas

Check your BIOS settings to ensure virtualization is enabled. It varies a bit between manufacturers but if you tell us which motherboard model someone (including myself) can probably point you to the correct settings. Certainly a 9900K will work...

9 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

Check your BIOS settings to ensure virtualization is enabled. It varies a bit between manufacturers but if you tell us which motherboard model someone (including myself) can probably point you to the correct settings. Certainly a 9900K will work...

I must admit I thought giving the KVM already works, virtualisation should be enabled.

My motherboard is the Asus Prime Z390-A

thanks already!

31 minutes ago, lukeasoiler said:

I must admit I thought giving the KVM already works, virtualisation should be enabled.

thanks already!

I would assume the same, if you're able to run the MacInABox VM in the first place, I'd think virtualization would have to be enabled. Is it possible to run this without virtualization? Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff than I do can correct me.

8 minutes ago, lukeasoiler said:

thanks already!

Hmmm, so you've been able to use VMs but not Docker? Just this specific Docker container or all Dockers? When you set Docker in Settings to Enable (Yes), is that when you get your error? When you disable Docker (set to No in Settings) can you delete the docker.img file? If you have a corrupted one, it may be preventing Docker from starting. When you re-enable Docker it will download a fresh image.

Note that deleting the docker.img file is safe - any Docker containers previously installed will have to be re-installed under Community Apps (under Previous Apps on the left side of the Apps tab in the unRAID webgui). Any changes to Docker container configs (like mountpoints, added paths, variables, etc) should still be in your user-templates for dockerMan on the flash drive.

If you haven't added any Docker containers or would like to reset all containers to default, make sure no user-templates are in the /flash/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user folder. This is where the Docker XML files are stored but they are copied to /boot/config/plugins/dockerMan/templates-user in RAM when unRAID starts. If you want to ensure you're starting from scratch, make sure to remove any of the 'my.XXXXXXX.xml' template files.

As for the BIOS, the Asus z390-a is a modern board but the manual doesn't list the standard BIOS options so you can probably try this:

1. On a UEFI-based computer, you shouldn't have to press a key when the computer starts. Instead, you need to hold down the Shift key and click Restart to reboot directly from the Advanced Startup options to the UEFI firmware settings. If that doesn't work, then use the standard 'hit DEL to enter BIOS' (where DEL might be F1, F2, Esc on other manufacturers).

2. Once you enter the setup menu, you can start looking for options labeled “Intel VT-x,” “Intel Virtualization Technology,” “Virtualization Extensions,” “Vanderpool,” or similar. When this option is enabled, press F10 to save the settings changes and reboot the PC. Typically, you can find the option under the Processor submenu. This submenu can be located somewhere under the “Chipset,” “Northbridge,” “Advanced Chipset Control,” or “Advanced CPU Configuration” menus.

Hope this helps.

42 minutes ago, vcolombo said:

I would assume the same, if you're able to run the MacInABox VM in the first place, I'd think virtualization would have to be enabled. Is it possible to run this without virtualization? Maybe someone who knows more about this stuff than I do can correct me.

@lukeasoiler - I might have misunderstood your original post but what @vcolombo said made me think that if you're trying to install Docker under a VM that's running on unRAID, it's the BIOS for the VM that needs to have virtualization enabled. You access the BIOS/UEFI settings for a VM by pressing 'Esc' rapidly in the VM window/screen as soon as you start the VM.

• Like 1

Hello,

I got a gliching issue with my Catalina VM. 

I dont know what to do with, can someone help me please? On the picture I opened the map app, but I got a same problem with chrome, brave and other apps too. When I move the mouse on the black screen I can see the content pixel by pixe...

1749796428_Screenshot2020-04-02at19_02_51.thumb.png.a3fbc098d2554c25fa91be9452a06186.png

And I got a Account limit reached problem when I try to ligon to iCloud, but the appstore is working.. I chanched the network card to e1000-82545em but nothing chaged.

There is my xml:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacinaboxCatalina</name>
  <uuid></uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="MacOS" icon="/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/icon/catalina.png" os="Catalina"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>6291456</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>6291456</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:0b:72:c3'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='************************'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

thank you guys!

I am running a registered version of UnRaid (latest stable) and I have a Asus B450 motherboard Ryzen™ 7 2700 8-Core CPU and a NVIDIA Quadro P2000 GPU and running . I have completed the install using VNC to display the VM, stopped and restarted the array. I then get stuck on TianoCore splash screen. Also when I try to stop the VM  the VM will not stop I have to Kill the operation. I have tried to install all three version of Mac just to see if it was one of them but they all do the same thing.  After each instal I do a complete and clean  uninstall removing all orphaned directories and files.

J.T.

21 hours ago, AgentXXL said:

@lukeasoiler - I might have misunderstood your original post but what @vcolombo said made me think that if you're trying to install Docker under a VM that's running on unRAID, it's the BIOS for the VM that needs to have virtualization enabled. You access the BIOS/UEFI settings for a VM by pressing 'Esc' rapidly in the VM window/screen as soon as you start the VM.

Hi AgentXXL,

this is exactly what I meant. I'm running Mojave fine (I had some issues with the graphics on Catalina, which is why I went with Mojave as my GT710 was accepted there without any issues). But on Mojave I wanted to get Docker working.

I tried to get in the BIOS there, I think I did, but there is pretty much no options there. Was just "Standard PC Q35 + ICH0, 2009), so not sure where to enable virtualization. Any pointers?

Best,
Lukas

On 4/3/2020 at 8:37 PM, lukeasoiler said:

CPU mode custom doesn't work anymore from what I can see. I also tried adding "-enable-kvm" as the first qemu argument at the bottom, still no success :(

you should try with cpu mode host-passthrough.

It's important to have the kvm nested set to 1.

Update: start reading from here:

Edited by ghost82
1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

you should try with cpu mode host-passthrough.

It's important to have the kvm nested set to 1.

I've tried that. I have kvm nested set to 1 in the flash part. If I run "cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested" I also get Y back, so I assume that part works.

I deleted all the stuff I changed in between and went back to the standard settings + what you described (without the cpu mode though). If I now run "sysctl -a | greo machdep.cpu.features" in the Mac terminal I also do not even get VMX listed. 
Also if I run sysctl kern.hv_support, it results in 0.
According to the docker page it seems to me, especially that last bit about Hypervisor is important.

So nothing there seems to help so far. Anyone got other ideas?

Edited by lukeasoiler
1 minute ago, lukeasoiler said:

I've tried that. I have kvm nested set to 1 in the flash part. If I run "cat /sys/module/kvm_intel/parameters/nested" I also get Y back, so I assume that part works.

I deleted all the stuff I changed in between and went back to the standard settings + what you described (without the cpu mode though). If I now run "sysctl -a | greo machdep.cpu.features" in the Mac terminal I also do not even get VMX listed. 
Also if I run sysctl kern.hv_support, it results in 0.

So nothing there seems to help so far. Anyone got other ideas?

There must be a way as others have it working. I haven't read through the thread that @ghost82 posted yet. Personally, I don't run Docker on my VMs - just natively on unRAID. What is the need to run Docker within the VM?

8 minutes ago, AgentXXL said:

There must be a way as others have it working. I haven't read through the thread that @ghost82 posted yet. Personally, I don't run Docker on my VMs - just natively on unRAID. What is the need to run Docker within the VM?

I'm kind of starting to get bit more into programming and so far I only did that from my Macbook I have, so I have docker running, but can change the code comfortably locally. That is my main reason currently.
I'd have no idea how to get that done or if that is even possible on the unraid machine, if so, yes that would help me, too :)

I've googled quite a lot and tried a lot of other settings, I read that qemu now supports accel=hvf which how I read it, could solve the issue, but I don't know where to add that so I start the VM with it.

Thank you anyway already, been a big help and I appreciate that a lot!

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, lukeasoiler said:

I'm kind of starting to get bit more into programming and so far I only did that from my Macbook I have, so I have docker running, but can change the code comfortably locally. That is my main reason currently.
I'd have no idea how to get that done or if that is even possible on the unraid machine, if so, yes that would help me, too :)

I've googled quite a lot and tried a lot of other settings, I read that qemu now supports accel=hvf which how I read it, could solve the issue, but I don't know where to add that so I start the VM with it.

Thank you anyway already, been a big help and I appreciate that a lot!

You're welcome for the assistance. That's what's really great about this community - very responsive developers and Limetech themselves are fantastic. Their approach to handling security CVEs is excellent, far better than many much larger commercial companies. And of course, there seems to be a number of extremely helpful community members so I'm trying to be like them.

As for your usage: most Docker containers will run on any Docker host with little or no modification. unRAID has native support for the Docker engine. You enable it under Docker in the Settings tab of the unRAID webgui. Then add your Docker containers either via the repository URL method or via Community Apps for select containers that have been developed and tested with unRAID.

It's also quite easy to package your own containers, but that's easier to do if you have Docker setup on a separate Windows/Mac/*nix system. I do see the advantage of running Docker under a VM in that it's one less system you have to support and maintain. Once I've had a chance to read through the previous mentioned thread I'll see if I have any other suggestions.

For general help with running Docker containers under unRAID, fire your questions at me (and others here) and we'll try to answer them for you.

• Thanks 1

I posted about this issue a few pages back.  I have no problem getting MacOS up and running with this VM but is always slow and choppy.  Text lags behind my typing and everything seems choppy.  App windows open a bit choppy, web pages load slowly and are also a bit choppy.  It doesn't matter if I try 1, 4 or 8 cores or 4, 8 or 16 GB of RAM.  I doesn't get any better.  I've tried the SSD my Win10 VM runs on (cache drive) and another SSD via unassigned devices.  Again, no difference.

Is there a tip or something on how to get it to run smooth and quickly via VNC?  I'm just looking for a simple VM.  No hardware passthrough or anything.  I have a Win10 VM setup with the same cores and RAM and it runs great.

I notice a lot of people in this thread are passing through video cards.  Is that required for a good experience?  Does anybody have a quick and smooth running experience via VNC?

Edited by RockDawg
On 4/4/2020 at 9:32 PM, RockDawg said:

I posted about this issue a few pages back.  I have no problem getting MacOS up and running with this VM but is always slow and choppy.  Text lags behind my typing and everything seems choppy.  App windows open a bit choppy, web pages load slowly and are also a bit choppy.  It doesn't matter if I try 1, 4 or 8 cores or 4, 8 or 16 GB of RAM.  I doesn't get any better.  I've tried the SSD my Win10 VM runs on (cache drive) and another SSD via unassigned devices.  Again, no difference.

Is there a tip or something on how to get it to run smooth and quickly via VNC?  I'm just looking for a simple VM.  No hardware passthrough or anything.  I have a Win10 VM setup with the same cores and RAM and it runs great.

I notice a lot of people in this thread are passing through video cards.  Is that required for a good experience?  Does anybody have a quick and smooth running experience via VNC?

You will have a better experience using splashtop desktop (personal is free on local network) with the vm rather than vnc. When logged in with vnc install the splashtop streamer for mac and the splashtop client on the computer that you want to connect from. https://www.splashtop.com/downloads

31 minutes ago, RockDawg said:

I did try Splashtop and it acts the same except the mouse trails on it and not VNC.  Neither one gives me a smooth quick experience.

What OS are you using for your host? I run a Macbook Pro as my main platform so OSX Catalina is my host OS. Using the built-in screen sharing between the Macbook Pro and both the High Sierra and Catalina VMs (also using built-in screen sharing) seems to work quite well for me. It's essentially the same as VNC but it's Apple's variant.

I also use OSX screen sharing to connect to my *nix and Windows systems as well, with UltraVNC server on the Windows systems and X11VNC on the *nix ones. Overall I'm not disappointed with the performance, but have tried different host/client solutions like RDP, Chrome Remote Desktop, Teamviewer and others. I have not tried Splashtop as I'm fine with the performance provided by the native OSX screen sharing.

Edited by AgentXXL
Clarification

I can also not find the Macinabox container in CA anymore...

Have found it on Dockerhub but can't get that to work correctly (my skills lack, seems stuck on/after recovery dmg download).

Is it still available?

Edited by CvT
grammar
2 hours ago, CvT said:

I can also not find the Macinabox container in CA anymore...

Have found it on Dockerhub but can't get that to work correctly (my skills lack, seems stuck on/after recovery dmg download).

Is it still available?

1 hour ago, jojowasher said:

Same for me

Git shows a commit earlier today that seems to have the contents of his other containers xml file. I looked and struggled for a while too.

Edited by StrikerXero