[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

Hi, I came back to unRAID after a year away and loaded up Macinabox, installed Catalina, got it working fine via VNC. Adjusted number of CPU cores, Ram, etc. All good. Removed the install image (all good still).

Added my Navi RX5700 to the VM plus the Rom file, fixed the network card, re-added the custom XML, deleted the topology (one time at least). Reboot and Clover hangs at a single Apple logo (offset to the left!) and 4 (more?) (small) copies of the "progress" bar loading. Ryzen 3900x BTW

I wonder if this is related to it being 10.15.4 as on Hackintosh forums nobody is really using Clover for 10.15.2+ and moving to Opencore.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

1 hour ago, methanoid said:

Hi, I came back to unRAID after a year away and loaded up Macinabox, installed Catalina, got it working fine via VNC. Adjusted number of CPU cores, Ram, etc. All good. Removed the install image (all good still).

Added my Navi RX5700 to the VM plus the Rom file, fixed the network card, re-added the custom XML, deleted the topology (one time at least). Reboot and Clover hangs at a single Apple logo (offset to the left!) and 4 (more?) (small) copies of the "progress" bar loading. Ryzen 3900x BTW

I wonder if this is related to it being 10.15.4 as on Hackintosh forums nobody is really using Clover for 10.15.2+ and moving to Opencore.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Does it truly hang? I've had cases where it just takes a very long time to progress through the first boot. Keep a close eye on the loader bars to see if they are moving at all.

That 4x progress bar is fairly normal (you can 'hide' it through a setting in Clover that throws up a full screen image).

I'm running 10.15.4 with Clover and it boots OK. Happy to share anything you'd like to see.

You might find some nuggets in this post where I describe how to get HEVC working;

https://mediaserver8.blogspot.com/2020/01/enabling-hevc-on-rx570-in-macos-vm.html

Edited by meep
1 hour ago, meep said:

Does it truly hang? I've had cases where it just takes a very long time to progress through the first boot. Keep a close eye on the loader bars to see if they are moving at all.

That 4x progress bar is fairly normal (you can 'hide' it through a setting in Clover that throws up a full screen image).

I'm running 10.15.4 with Clover and it boots OK. Happy to share anything you'd like to see.

You might find some nuggets in this post where I describe how to get HEVC working;

https://mediaserver8.blogspot.com/2020/01/enabling-hevc-on-rx570-in-macos-vm.html

Thanks.

I left the RX5700 VM for ages.. I think it might need the "pikera mod" tweak in Clover? Not sure... But I swapped my RX570 in and I still got the confused looking load screen but it loaded....  Would love that setting that tidies up the screen immediately after Clover starts loading MacOS...

Booting on my Navi isn't really important as I intend to leave 6 real cores on Windows/Navi (gaming & VR) and 4 real cores on MacOS/Linux/etc (for tinkering) with the other 2 real cores running unRAID (no Dockers as all my media etc is in a cloud box).

6 minutes ago, methanoid said:

and I still got the confused looking load screen but it loaded

<os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
  </os>

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, methanoid said:

Would love that setting that tidies up the screen immediately after Clover starts loading MacOS...

This is what I set up, but honestly, I reboot my MacOS VMs so infrequently, I forget how much this covers up!

clover.thumb.png.fa3366c7f147a26cf248e9b3b97614fb.png

Also, I neglected to mention I run an RX570, and it sounds like that works OK for you, so I might not be able to help much with the RX5700.

• Like 1

Hi there!

I'd like to request some assistance on troubleshooting a weird phenomenon I'm experiencing while connecting to the VM via Splashtop. Tried googling but didn't manage to find anything relevant so far.

So I'm running the latest Unraid image on an R710 server with RX580 GPU passthrough and 6 vCPU / 8GB RAM assigned to the VM. The server is headless, so I log to unraid via webGUI and use Splashtop to access the macOS Catalina VM.

Whenever I move the mouse all CPU cores spike to 100% usage and the cursor appears to "lag behind". At the same time, I'm using Horos (projecthoros.org) to view medical images which can be pretty demanding depending on the database size, and vCPU usage appears to stay around 50-70% during initial database processing (as long as I'm not moving the mouse).

So yeah, any ideas?

Thanks!

Another question (maybe an FAQ needed for this thread)?

If I install Catalina and also want Mojave and High Sierra VMs, should I create 2nd and 3rd instances of Macinabox container? Or if I do not, will it just "know" to not wipe out my Catalina bits when I change the settings to Mojave?

12 hours ago, xxnumbxx said:

Anyone successful in passing through a iPhone to this VM? I can pass-through USB sticks just fine but no luck with a iPhone. I saw a couple of others have the same issue.

I'm in the same boat. External disks work consistently, iPhone not at all.

Unfortunately my board has a single integrated USB controller and no free PCIe slot so the "pass a controller" solution doesn't work. I tried VirtualHere (USB over ethernet) but apparently iPhone sync with a Mac host requires a Mac client. That didn't work in my case but may work for others.

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with a Catalina VM where the image is repeated.

This is what it looks like.

image.thumb.png.8d89e5928a0cb43686ac21024718a06f.png

On first boot it booted fine. I installed MacOS, I then shut it down, gave it more cores, more ram, changed the nic in the xml file, and of course changed the icon back.

Here is my xml file:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>MacinaboxCatalina</name>
  <uuid>3cb0069e-6eaf-427c-b812-a140e7bd91a3</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/icon/catalina.png" os="Catalina"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/3cb0069e-6eaf-427c-b812-a140e7bd91a3_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='2'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='topoext'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:bb:da:8a'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=deleted'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

After editing the xml file I go to boot the system and it gives me that screen. Any ideas on how to fix it? Thanks.

2 hours ago, Masterism said:

I'm not seeing the answer. What am I missing?

Very first line of the post I linked.

With a macOS vm it has custom things in the xml. If you look at the end of the first xml you posted and the second you will see. Because of this any changes that you need to do to the template cant be done in the Unraid template manager as it removes custom edits at present.

9 hours ago, Masterism said:

However annoyed I got with your answer, it got me to compare the original xml of my vm with my edited one and I found the differences.

Thank you.

This exact question has been asked and answered on almost every other page of this thread. It gets old having people continue to ask before reading through the thread. It was not my intention to be annoying, I was just answering the question.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, jonathanm said:

This exact question has been asked and answered on almost every other page of this thread. It gets old having people continue to ask before reading through the thread. It was not my intention to be annoying, I was just answering the question.

I understand. And I had read through the first few pages before posting. It was just a bit confusing when I was just following the video and it still didn't work. It's all working just fine now. Just had to replace the pflash and the nvram directory locations.

7 hours ago, Masterism said:

Just had to replace the pflash and the nvram directory locations.

So not sure if I missed this in an earlier post but maybe @SpaceInvaderOne could explain what is different with the OVMF pflash and nvram shipped in his docker vs the default. As someone who likes to understand/build everything from first principles, this is the only "black box" left in my build. Where were they originally sourced from or how were they built? Thanks!

On 5/24/2020 at 2:24 AM, cat2devnull said:

So not sure if I missed this in an earlier post but maybe @SpaceInvaderOne could explain what is different with the OVMF pflash and nvram shipped in his docker vs the default. As someone who likes to understand/build everything from first principles, this is the only "black box" left in my build. Where were they originally sourced from or how were they built? Thanks!

Having custom OVMF files most probably depends on the Clover bootloader.

You can read that "recent" versions of ovmf don't work with clover, because of page tables marked as read-only in ovmf and clover trying to remap memory --> this means a fail.

The issue above will not boot mac os at all, while in this case it seems that using stock ovmf files (but I'm not sure which version of ovmf comes with unraid) generates "only" graphic glitches?

This is one of the reasons I switched to opencore, since it has no problems to boot mac os with stock OVMF in unraid; moreover, I have another box running a catalina vm in linux manjaro + qemu 5.0 + libvirt 5.10.0 and stock stable 202002 OVMF and it boots and runs without problems.

I don't know what is the source of the custom OVMF files in macinabox (maybe Kholia/OSX-KVM?), I'm curious too to read the answer to your question by @SpaceInvaderOne

Maybe we should all switch to opencore, it should be less problematic in general, I could provide a general qcow2 image if @SpaceInvaderOne is interested in updating the container, or just add a choice for the user in the setup to choose between clover and opencore.

If you want to upgrade from clover to opencore here are the relevant files:
- the qcow2 opencore file (just save in the macinabox folder and set in the xml to point to that file)

- the EFI folder (you don't really need this, just to browse, open files and see how I setup opencore)

Opencore version: 0.5.8 stable RELEASE

Active kexts: lilu 1.4.4 (master, DEBUG), whateverGreen 1.4.0 (master, DEBUG), appleALC 1.5.0 (master, DEBUG)

Inactive kexts: AppleMCEReporterDisabler

Active ACPI: EC and USBX injections

Inactive ACPI: x86PlatformPlugin enabler

Inactive patches: algrey - cpu_topology_sort -disable _x86_validate_topology, algrey - cpuid_set_cpufamily - force CPUFAMILY_INTEL_PENRYN

Active Tools: Openshell

Active drivers: HFSPlusLegacy, OpenRuntime

Inactive drivers: OpenCanopy, AudioDxe, UsbMouseDxe

SMBIOS data (same as the original macinabox clover image)

MLB: D25321207QXFM59JC

System Product Name: iMac14,1

SN: D25KRUZKF8J2

System UUID: A7AD21B5-1387-4709-BD43-25B8109C5F57

EFI.zip opencore.qcow2.zip

Edited by ghost82

After giving up a couple of months ago, I finally gave this a try again. Thanks to every one in the community who posted their solutions!

I have full video acceleration with my GTX1070 on High Sierra.

I have sound working through a USB device, and network is working fine.

I was just wondering if I could use tonymacx86's multibeast to install audio kexts for the motherboard audio.

I am also having issues with the mouse getting stuck when doing drag and drop in some applications like Logic Pro X.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:21 PM, steve1977 said:

Unfortunately, @ziggie216 confirmed that Apple Photos has an issue with the VM: the "all photos" tab on top-right of the menu does not show up. The issue does not exist with Mojave, but happens both when upgrading to Catalina or when doing a fresh install of Catalina.

I don't use GPU passthrough.

@SpaceInvaderOne, any thoughts? Anything we can help trouble-shoot?

This seems to be an issue with Catalina, independent if it runs on a vm or not.

Maybe it can be solved by changing smbios data in the bootloader.

You can check here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250958933

At the bottom of the discussion there should be a "workaround" to make all photos appearing again (with a new album menu item).

Edited by ghost82