[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

11 hours ago, barajas.uriel said:

How would I go about doing that? I just figured out it is ALC1220A

You should use AppleALC kext for audio and inject it during the boot (with clover or opencore).

ALC1220A is the same as ALC1220, which AppleALC supports, apart some feautures that Asus doesn't need (A stands for "Asus").

Edited by ghost82
On 4/24/2020 at 3:45 PM, ghost82 said:

You were lucky if Apple unlocked imessage/facetime.

I tried one time and after 5-6 phone calls they did not activate them...

Anyway, that data are managed by the mac os bootloader, so make a copy of Clover or opencore.

On a boring day I wanted to call again apple to try again to activate imessage and facetime and...they activated them!

No screen share session, no serial number given, just a confirmation for my apple id and the locking code: all solved in less than 5 minutes.

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

27 minutes ago, elcapitano said:

Doesn't seem to work for me.

2020-05-27 12:40:02,907 Network Request: Fetching https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
Product ID 061-96006 could not be found.

This is because apple probably updated their product ids yesterday.

Edited by ghost82
3 hours ago, kskoba said:

Ahh just came to find out the solution for the same issues with Product ID not found. Any way we can look up the new IDs and adjust installation script to the new ID?

That was quick! GitHub and Docker container already updated, installing properly now. Thanks SpaceInvaderOne!

Hi, 

Just a quick question. I think I know the answer but want to make sure. I do not have a graphics card in my Unraid server. When setting up the Macinabox, I can get everything working except sound. I have the graphics card set to VNC  as I read using the IGPU for my intel proc isn't reliable. Does that mean I cannot use the integrated audio? I tried setting the sound to Intel Cannon Lake PCH but it gives me 'Please ensure all devices within the iommu_group are bound to their vfio bus driver' when I try to start the VM. I also made sure all the customized edits to the xml are put back in after doing this. If I remove the sound card to none, and update (with customized xml edits) the VM boots and everything works via splashtop except sound. 

I tried to look it up but couldn't find any answers to this. Thank you for any assistance. 

• Like 1
On 5/26/2020 at 12:16 AM, ghost82 said:

This seems to be an issue with Catalina, independent if it runs on a vm or not.

Maybe it can be solved by changing smbios data in the bootloader.

You can check here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250958933

At the bottom of the discussion there should be a "workaround" to make all photos appearing again (with a new album menu item).

Thanks. Great to see this is not a VM issue per se.

Can you elaborate what you mean by changing smbios data in the bootloader?

On 5/26/2020 at 12:16 AM, ghost82 said:

This seems to be an issue with Catalina, independent if it runs on a vm or not.

Maybe it can be solved by changing smbios data in the bootloader.

You can check here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250958933

At the bottom of the discussion there should be a "workaround" to make all photos appearing again (with a new album menu item).

Found yet another post that seems to explain the issue and why it happens on the VM. I don't passthrough any GPU.

As you see below, the issue happens when a regular Mac boots into "safe mode". It seems that the disabled "accelerated graphics" is causing this issue. See link below.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250983092?page=2

Any thoughts whether any chance to enable "accelerate graphics" without passing through a GPU?

On 5/26/2020 at 3:48 PM, ghost82 said:

On a boring day I wanted to call again apple to try again to activate imessage and facetime and...they activated them!

No screen share session, no serial number given, just a confirmation for my apple id and the locking code: all solved in less than 5 minutes.

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

You helped me a lot with my Catalina vm with opencore, so I know for a fact that using an old Apple ID created in 2012 with all my Hackintosh including VMs without any issues with iMessage or FaceTime, but the moment I use another more recent created Apple ID in 2016, I face this problem. I think Apple introduced sort of a security update to their IDs systems that effected us.

17 minutes ago, Idris Gsmalla said:

Apple introduced sort of a security update to their IDs systems that effected us.

Glad that some of my posts were useful!

Maybe..I asked to him what was the root of the issue to try to understand more, he replied if I ever activated that account with facetime/imessage from an iphone or ipad (not a mac), I replied no, only from a macbook pro, he said it's a security measure, in such a way to let me understand that it doesn't depend on a hack or a real mac (however assuming that smbios data and nvram are ok)..so, still not sure about the block.

However my apple id is from 2008, so it should not be related to only "recent apple ids".

Edited by ghost82
1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

Glad that some of my posts were useful!

Maybe..I asked to him what was the root of the issue to try to understand more, he replied if I ever activated that account with facetime/imessage from an iphone or ipad (not a mac), I replied no, only from a macbook pro, he said it's a security measure, in such a way to let me understand that it doesn't depend on a hack or a real mac (however assuming that smbios data and nvram are ok)..so, still not sure about the block.

However my apple id is from 2008, so it should not be related to only "recent apple ids".

Did you tried to switch off the two-factor authentication, I think it has something to do with this issue.

My ID *always* logs into iMessage, from any Apple, Hackintosh, VM I have ever created. I am frequently logged into iMessage from 3-4 devices at once. It just works. This account is *still* configured without "two-factor authentication".

Edited by Idris Gsmalla
16 minutes ago, doroyce05 said:

Product ID 061-70033 could not be found.

I got the same issue. 😭

Someone responded on GitHub, this ID may or may not be the one needed. You will find this in the unraid.sh script in the Docker container. Just install an editor with apt install and give it a try.

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/issues/21

Good Luck!

Edited by BigNick
1 hour ago, BigNick said:

Someone responded on GitHub, this ID may or may not be the one needed. You will find this in the unraid.sh script in the Docker container. Just install an editor with apt install and give it a try.

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/issues/21

Good Luck!

I actually found the same info vie some google search but I didn't know where I could change that data though. Thanks!

Good morning.

Firstly thanks to spaceinvader for this plugin and excellent videos they've helped me loads.

I have a working Catalina install, iMessage, App store etc all work as they should however im struggling to get Content caching to work. The box is just grayed out.

Does anybody have any idea to fix this? I've read that it struggles to work in a VM environment but surely if iMessage and iCloud work there must be a work around for caching?

TIA

On 6/3/2020 at 10:30 AM, Urbanpixels said:

Good morning.

Firstly thanks to spaceinvader for this plugin and excellent videos they've helped me loads.

I have a working Catalina install, iMessage, App store etc all work as they should however im struggling to get Content caching to work. The box is just grayed out.

Does anybody have any idea to fix this? I've read that it struggles to work in a VM environment but surely if iMessage and iCloud work there must be a work around for caching?

TIA

See here:

Content caching is disabled if mac os finds that you are running the os in a vm.

You could try to disable the hypervisor bit, but I would not recommend it (I tried but it doesn seem to work..), or you can patch the kernel (at your risk), read here:
https://github.com/kholia/OSX-KVM/blob/master/reversing-notes.md

I just tried the kernel patching method and it works for me with catalina 10.15.5 19F101 (latest).

Easy way (DO IT AT YOUR RISK):

0- disable SIP

1- copy file from /System/Library/Kernels/kernel to your desktop

2- open kernel file on your desktop with an hex editor: find the string (there's only one string): E8 E8 D4 AA FF replace with 90 90 90 90 90 and save the file

3- backup the original file:

sudo mount -uw /
sudo mv /System/Library/Kernels/kernel /System/Library/Kernels/kernel.bak

4- move the patched kernel to its position:

sudo cp ~/desktop/kernel /System/Library/Kernels/

5- restart mac os

cache.png.452f38b2aeafbf6304db580a6caba075.png

Edited by ghost82

I tried this a few months back and I got Mojave up and running but the performance is bad.  I reinstalled many times and it is alwyas the same.  Slow and the graphics are stuttery.  It even lags behind when I type.  I'm assuming it should be possible to get reasonably good performance without a dedicated video card.  Is that correct?  I would really appreciate some help troubleshooting this.  Here is my XML:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' id='12' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacinaboxMojave</name>
  <uuid>41223569-4768-4167-a4ba-81c4a9c72d08</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Mojave</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="MacOS" icon="/mnt/disks/Temp_Intermediate/domains/MacinaboxMojave/icon/mojave.png" os="Mojave"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='8'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='24'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='10'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='26'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='28'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='14'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='30'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/disks/Temp_Intermediate/domains/MacinaboxMojave/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/disks/Temp_Intermediate/domains/MacinaboxMojave/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/Temp_Intermediate/domains/MacinaboxMojave/Clover.qcow2' index='3'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/Temp_Intermediate/domains/MacinaboxMojave/Mojave-install.img' index='2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/Temp_Intermediate/domains/MacinaboxMojave/macos_disk.img' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-4'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:3c:e9:42'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/2'/>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/2'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/2'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-12-MacinaboxMojave/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input2'/>
    </input>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='************************'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

In "About This Mac" it says:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory 8 GB DDR3

Strtup Disk Mac SSDS

Graphics Display 7 MB

6 hours ago, RockDawg said:

I tried this a few months back and I got Mojave up and running but the performance is bad.  I reinstalled many times and it is alwyas the same.  Slow and the graphics are stuttery.  It even lags behind when I type.  I'm assuming it should be possible to get reasonably good performance without a dedicated video card.  Is that correct?  I would really appreciate some help troubleshooting this.  Here is my XML:

Graphics Display 7 MB

Nope, without a dedicated GPU attached to the VM I don't believe it is possible to get good performance out of macOS.