[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

On 9/30/2020 at 2:55 AM, ChromeFocus said:

I keep breaking the XML because it keep's changing upon update. I'm reading a million different answers for the same questions. I can't seem to figure out how to stabilize this vm. Can anyone help me? I'm going to post my broken XML if anyone can help. Main problem is trying to update the CPU count or trying to do a GPU pass through. I'm running a sapphire 570 lite and a 3900x. I can get the VM to work with the VNC but literally as soon as I change anything the build breaks. Please help. I'm on my 3rd day of owning a server and I'm deathly confused. Can someone give me or point me to the proper XML I need or at least explain why it keeps changing and breaking?

You are not following instructions :P

Everytime you change something in the gui for the vm settings your custom modifications to the xml will be lost.

Solution: switch to xml mode and add again your modifications, your last action before starting the vm must be "save from the xml view"; this was said several times and also shown in SpaceInvaderOne's video tutorial.

Paths for ovmf files are wrong, you are missing custom args, virtio network will not work.

32 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Failing is happening during boot, so you need the logs from the bootloader (clover or opencore): without logs it's not possible to help.

this is weird, i made in clover changes like serial number and board serial. I will try to install from scratch today once again. Probably i missed one step

I just know what my board is 100% working with hackintosh (z490 Vision D), but to be honest i prefer opencore. But i don't think what i can create VM with opencore)) 

2 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

A lot of users in this community are using opencore to run their vms.

In real I'm not sure the original clover image in macinabox can run a catalina 10.15.7 vm if you start to modify things..

Clover does runs 15.7 without mods, but the best thing you can do is to switch  to lyonzen opencore right away. 

On 9/24/2020 at 6:54 AM, mSedek said:

Wanted to share what I have achieved with this great tool

Catalina over passthrough 5700XT and Samsun EVO nvme 970

Ubuntu on regular array drive and a placeholder GT710 for my rtx3080

16 cores each 28GB ram each

controlling both with synergy 1  keyboard and 1 mouse

Loving my system with all my soul

Very cool setup! How do you switch between the two? How do you have MB and KB connected to two in parallel?

On 10/1/2020 at 8:04 PM, mSedek said:

Clover does runs 15.7 without mods, but the best thing you can do is to switch  to lyonzen opencore right away. 

I have updated Macinabox Docker. Is it now "safe" to update to 15.7?

I really like the Macinabox docker for its easy of use. I'd now need to move away to use opencore instead? What's the benefit?

On 10/3/2020 at 11:46 AM, steve1977 said:

I have updated Macinabox Docker. Is it now "safe" to update to 15.7?

I really like the Macinabox docker for its easy of use. I'd now need to move away to use opencore instead? What's the benefit?

Opencore offers you Better performance when satup with the lyonzen tips Also if you want to pasthrough things like a graphics card it is easier too. 

I think @SpaceInvaderOne should update macinabox to get installed with opencore otb. 

Edited by mSedek
On 10/1/2020 at 6:09 AM, ghost82 said:

You are not following instructions :P

Everytime you change something in the gui for the vm settings your custom modifications to the xml will be lost.

Solution: switch to xml mode and add again your modifications, your last action before starting the vm must be "save from the xml view"; this was said several times and also shown in SpaceInvaderOne's video tutorial.

Paths for ovmf files are wrong, you are missing custom args, virtio network will not work.

Thank you. I'm a server baby and don't yet have the intelligence needed to think effectively yet. Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Big Sur around the corner

Clover is still not able to boot big sur installer.

Slice, the developer of clover, stated that there's no eta to adjust clover to be able to boot the installer.

Clover at the moment is able to boot only a preinstalled big sur disk.

Till now, opencore is the only bootloader able to boot the installer.

Anyway, Slice and his team deserve the same respect as the Acidanthera team.

Edited by ghost82
1 hour ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Sure is. When Big Sur is released officially a new Macinabox will be out. With a bunch of new features and choice between opencore and clover bootloaders.

Oh wow, this is amazing!!! Thanks so much for all you are doing.

Will this require a fresh install or will you even allow us to update from Catalina?

And sorry for ot, but again a great thank you to SpaceInvaderOne, all I know about mac os vms started one year and a half ago from him and his great video tutorials!

Approaching to macos vm could not be simple, and addons like this make all easier and a solid base to learn more about the topic.

Edited by ghost82
20 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Clover is still not able to boot big sur installer.

mmm..maybe I'm wrong, with the latest pre-release of 2 days ago (r. 5123) this is what we read in the description:

This is the joint project Clover+OpenCore (https://github.com/acidanthera/OpenCorePkg) so that starts as Clover with Clover GUI and settings and then loads OC to start chosen OS with delegated rights to load and patch kexts.

This version successfully loads BigSur and allows install and update.
Check new config-sample.plist. It contains default values for Quirks which are the most common settings.

Edited by ghost82

Hi, i've watched the video from spaceinvaderone and i followed all the instrusctions but im getting nothing when i want to pass through my GPU (GTX1070). And when im using the VNC, its booting but the display is glitched. Im trying to run Mac Os Catalina, and my CPU is a Ryzen 3 3100
Thank you

18 minutes ago, Ludovic77 said:

Thank you

Is there a list of compatible os and GPU?

If you need 32 bits programs, you must go rx400/500 series to be able to run mojave. 

From Catalina and up navi 10 with boot arg adgpmod=pikera works flawless

Edited by mSedek