[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

2 minutes ago, ffhelllskjdje said:

What are folks using their VNC macOS for? Just curious as I want to build this but can't really think of any use cases. 

I'm mostly just an enthousiast, don't really have a specific use case for unraid or a macOS VM, but I want to get it to work as close to bare metal as possible. 

14 minutes ago, ffhelllskjdje said:

What are folks using their VNC macOS for? Just curious as I want to build this but can't really think of any use cases. 

Mm to get use to it? To see what is macos all about? Not everyone have ever owned an apple product, I am a macos power user as I am software developer, know and use macos the same as linux and windows but I My first "mac" was a NUC I turned into hackintosh.. Never bought and Never will buy a mac

14 hours ago, swkkrdswk said:

Hi guys,

I'm quite new to unraid but I got a Catalina VM and a Windows VM up and running. My current setup:

• AMD Ryzen 3900x
  • Aorus X570 Pro
  • 32gb ddr4
  • 1tb m.2 ssd
  • RX580 Nitro+ 4GB (MacOS)
  • RTX 2080 Super (Windows)

I got two working Windows VM's one with the AMD card passthrough and another with the NVIDIA card. The NVIDIA card is my primary GPU, AMD is the secondary. I installed a MacOS VM with VNC and got it to run with 12cores and 16gb of RAM, now I wanted to passthrough the GPU but I'm running into issues. I tried using SpaceInvaders advanced GPU passthrough tutorial, but it's not working yet. The ultimate goal is to be able to run MacOS or Windows, or both simultaneously by changing the core and ram amounts. Many thanks in advance.

My Macinabox config xml:

The crash I'm experiencing:

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong or where to look to resolve this issue. The passthrough of this card works fine with the Windows VM so the reset bug wouldn't make sense right?

So I've just got off a 12h shift and my brain is fried but I noticed that you have split the video card and it's inbuilt audio over two bus IDs which would most likely break things.

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>

This should be bus='0x03' to match the video card.

You have correctly put the audio on function='0x1' so it will not collide with the video on function='0x0'.

5 hours ago, cat2devnull said:

So I've just got off a 12h shift and my brain is fried but I noticed that you have split the video card and it's inbuilt audio over two bus IDs which would most likely break things.

<address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>

This should be bus='0x03' to match the video card.

You have correctly put the audio on function='0x1' so it will not collide with the video on function='0x0'.

Hmm interesting post!  That is the ONLY thing that is different on my XML which just would not work when trying to pass through a 5700XT.

You have me thinking now, so I am gonna swap out the 2080ti (again!) and put the 5700XT in and give it another go!!

I'll use OC, still got my EFI folders which I was messing about with.

I wonder...... :)

6 minutes ago, ne10g said:

Hmm interesting post!  That is the ONLY thing that is different on my XML which just would not work when trying to pass through a 5700XT.

You have me thinking now, so I am gonna swap out the 2080ti (again!) and put the 5700XT in and give it another go!!

I'll use OC, still got my EFI folders which I was messing about with.

I wonder...... :)

Heck I tould you to copy My xml.. Everything is on the same bus And slots only thing diferent is the function, thats because in reality the card is in just 1 slot with all the same resources, you can not split the card resources up or it will malfunction

Edited by mSedek
4 minutes ago, mSedek said:

Heck I tould you to copy My xml.. Everything is on the same bus And slots only thing diferent is the function, thats because in reality the card is in just 1 slot with all the same resources, you can not split the card resources up or it will malfunction

I was sure I did, I looked SO many times....I had looked too long I guess...I should have just ran a diff rather tha trying to do it line by line manually by just looking :)

12 minutes ago, ne10g said:

I was sure I did, I looked SO many times....I had looked too long I guess...I should have just ran a diff rather tha trying to do it line by line manually by just looking :)

I have just received My 2x retina 27 inch monitors from dell and I am breathless.. macos wont perform any good or look Better in any apple hardware in existance today

Im running side by side macos on My 5700xt and windows 10 on My 3080 could not be happier 

IMG-20201105-WA0123.thumb.jpeg.7cff8b044715dd017339e2d2842d377f.jpeg

20201105_153125.jpg

Edited by mSedek
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, mSedek said:

I have just received My 2x retina 27 inch monitors from dell and I am breathless.. macos wont perform any good or look Better in any apple hardware in existance today

Im running side by side macos on My 5700xt and windows 10 on My 3080 could not be happier 

IMG-20201105-WA0123.thumb.jpeg.7cff8b044715dd017339e2d2842d377f.jpeg

20201105_153125.jpg

They look AWESOME!!!

I will try get this 5700 working but I guess I should return it actually, as if I am gonna stick with a Radeon card I may as well get the new Big Navi?!

4 minutes ago, ne10g said:

They look AWESOME!!!

I will try get this 5700 working but I guess I should return it actually, as if I am gonna stick with a Radeon card I may as well get the new Big Navi?!

Mmm dont know if apple would bring support for those any time soon or ever? 

16 hours ago, mSedek said:

has anyone tried the catalina update? 

I wish....haha.

Tried again yesterday, absolutely no way this GPU will pass through.  Everything is perfect (with Clover or Opencore) as soon as the GPU is passed through. Stuck.

Big Sur is Release candidate now, ahead of Fridays event I assume! So we should get a new version of Maxinabox then, I think that was what @SpaceInvaderOne confirmed to someone earlier in the thread!

5 hours ago, gacpac said:

Is there any special guide or way to update MacOSX?

No, there isn't because the update happens as in real mac computers.

5 hours ago, gacpac said:

I installed Catalina today and currently installing the 10.15.7 update and omg is taking forever. Feel like it's frozen

Boot in verbose mode: if there's an error then there's an issue, if there's no error it's not hanging and it can take some time.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ne10g said:

Big Sur is Release candidate now

This is called "release candidate" or gold master version, however take it as a 11.0.1 beta 2: os is still beta, final version should come next week (usually gold master version is the same as the final, and this will not be the case) at the next apple event, when new apple silicon macs will be shown to the public.

Edited by ghost82
3 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

This is called "release candidate" or gold master version, however take it as a 11.0.1 beta 2: os is still beta, final version should come next week (usually gold master version is the same as the final, and this will not be the case) at the next apple event, when new apple silicon macs will be shown to the public.

That’s what I said 😛 

Just a recent shift from the GM to RC naming, not sure what’s caused them to do this, always been GM which in turn becomes final unless any last minute show stopper bugs are found.

11.0.1 beta was just a new branch to hide some further info on the silicone macs I bet, as they’ve deviated a bit from the normal procedure here.

I’m having one final try with this 5700XT, going to try bare metal with open core proper and not go the KVM route, just out of interest to see if it works any better...

23 hours ago, amnesia said:

Hey Space,

Any ETA on when we'll be seeing the Big Sur update come through? And any information on if we will need to do a fresh install? Because the spoofed model number for my Mac VM isn't supported in Big Sur.

Thanks!

Yes!! Would love to have it. Almost resfreshing the docker page every few minutes. But still nothing ;)

I have updated the VM to the latest catalina and gonna make a backup of that and then gonna try to update to big sur

I am using OC with all the kext updated to the latest and did the update with the VNC display as it needs to reboot several times and amd reset bug from my 5700XT wont allow a smooth process

image.thumb.png.ad27aa2bae34d730fec6708da9d34a3c.png

Edited by mSedek
3 hours ago, mSedek said:

I have updated the VM to the latest catalina and gonna make a backup of that and then gonna try to update to big sur

I am using OC with all the kext updated to the latest and did the update with the VNC display as it needs to reboot several times and amd reset bug from my 5700XT wont allow a smooth process

image.thumb.png.ad27aa2bae34d730fec6708da9d34a3c.png

Unrelated question, but have you got wifi working on your vm? If so, can you please tell me what hardware and method you used to do so? Thanks!