[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

On 11/22/2020 at 9:05 PM, mSedek said:

Well I fail to see any use case for a desktop OS without a video card.. 

I have a windows vm running blue iris for Security camera duties. No video card.

i also use this as a whole house audio server with multiple legacy m-audio delta multi-channel sound cards. No Linux drivers, but works fine on windows or Mac OS. No video card required.

this also runs windows-only tv tuner software for whole house DVR, no video card required.

i also have this connected to an old alarm system for which I wrote some drivers. The vm manages the connectivity and interfaces with a node red docker where all the logic is implemented. No video card required on desktop os for this job either.

there are loads of use cases for desktop vms with no gpu. Of course, a lot can be handled in other ways on Linux, for example, but for those not comfortable in the black arts of bash and the command line, a headless windows or Mac vm can be a great tool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does the virtual memory balloon device work in a MacOS VM?

I notice when memory in the VM fills up there is no error thrown, but the entire Unraid server crashes.

This happened once when I wrote a program that allocated memory without limit and once when I tried to open a 2.7G file in Wireshark.

Edited by Jagadguru
typo

As Big Sur is now on the road, it looks like Macinabox needs a clover update in order to update from a running Catalina and boot into the preeboot updater of Big Sur update.
I managed to load the latest kexts needed for Big Sur into the EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other folder.

But I need to update clover and it's boot files to.
How can I update clover while I am booted up into VM Catalina? Clover configurator and the update from there fails.

THX FOR HELP!

35 minutes ago, derpuma said:

How can I update clover while I am booted up into VM Catalina? Clover configurator and the update from there fails.

Perform the update manually.

Easy way is with the configurator, mount the EFI partition from there; note that you could have 2 efi partitions, one of the system and one containing clover, mount that containing clover.

Once mounted you have access to all the files of the bootloader you can replace from the vm.

Download the ISO of clover, mount it in the vm and you will have all the files you need to replace into the efi.

This is the latest release link:
https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases/download/5127/Clover-5127-X64.iso.7z

Note that clover is now using opencore code to work with big sur.

Think about to switch from clover to opencore.

MAKE a backup of the qcow2 image first!

Edited by ghost82
2 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Perform the update manually.

Easy way is with the configurator, mount the EFI partition from there; note that you could have 2 efi partitions, one of the system and one containing clover, mount that containing clover.

Once mounted you have access to all the files of the bootloader you can replace from the vm.

Download the ISO of clover, mount it in the vm and you will have all the files you need to replace into the efi.

This is the latest release link:
https://github.com/CloverHackyColor/CloverBootloader/releases/download/5127/Clover-5127-X64.iso.7z

Note that clover is now using opencore code to work with big sur.

Think about to switch from clover to opencore.

MAKE a backup of the qcow2 image first!

Thx for the image. I was able to update clover manually with all the files from the zip.

It also boots fine into Catalina with the updated files.
But installing the update from Catalina to Big Sur from the macOS update center fails and after the first restart the system first boot up after the Big Sur Intallaion Window and dialog it boots up into the apple logo and from there nothing happens.

I kept my previous config.plist file in my clover folder, thinking this should be ok. All kexts I used prior are updated to the latest version!
Did you update to Big Sur already? If so, how have you done it?
Regards!

Edited by derpuma
2 hours ago, derpuma said:

Did you update to Big Sur already? If so, how have you done it?

Yes, but in a second vm, I'm not using as stable yet, too many bugs (of the os) for my needs.

I don't use clover anymore, I switched to opencore one year ago.

If you want to stick with clover you need the opencore addons, as I was saying clover now uses opencore quirks to inject kexts during boot, as required by big sur and its stupid snapshots.

Edited by ghost82

I've given up waiting for now, so just went with a bare metal install., runs like a dream, finally!

To use bare metal with Windows 10, I just use the vm template, assign my devices then don't create a vdisk, but select the name to passthrough with anything else.  Same for MacOS?

20 hours ago, ghost82 said:

Yes, but in a second vm, I'm not using as stable yet, too many bugs (of the os) for my needs.

I don't use clover anymore, I switched to opencore one year ago.

If you want to stick with clover you need the opencore addons, as I was saying clover now uses opencore quirks to inject kexts during boot, as required by big sur and its stupid snapshots.

Okay, I would like to test opencore instead of clover. How would I install opencore into the qcow2 EFI partition and the main OS system?
Manual install like you mentioned before with clover by copying the files by hand?
Do you have also an opencore Zip to share?
I guess the opencore config.plist file should be a new one witch fits the new bootloader.

Talking about Quirks: I have read in the hackintosh forum that the newest clover does not need any quirk for Big Sur (Version 5123+).
I'd like to try it with clover first, so which quirks should be set in clover configurator.

6 hours ago, derpuma said:

Okay, I would like to test opencore instead of clover. How would I install opencore into the qcow2 EFI partition and the main OS system?
Manual install like you mentioned before with clover by copying the files by hand?
Do you have also an opencore Zip to share?
I guess the opencore config.plist file should be a new one witch fits the new bootloader.

You can just build a new .img with the opencore EFI filesystem in it and just boot from that instead of your old qcow2 image by changing your Unraid config file.
I talked about doing this in the following post. https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84601-support-spaceinvaderone-macinabox/page/44/?tab=comments#comment-907711

On 11/28/2020 at 5:09 PM, derpuma said:

Talking about Quirks: I have read in the hackintosh forum that the newest clover does not need any quirk for Big Sur (Version 5123+).

You are right, from what I read Openruntime and OCQuirks are now embed in clover.

I cannot be of more help with clover, I'm not using it from a long time.

The only thing I can suggest, when you update your bootloader (clover or opencore), check the sample config.plist for new (to be added) or old (to be deleted) keys and also read documentation about what they mean.

From 5120 changelog:

This release includes OcQuirks.efi and OpenRuntime.efi copied from OpenCore project.
OcQuirks.plist embedded into config.plist and present in Clover GUI as separate menu to tune settings on the fly.
Kernel patching includes pattern for Big Sur.

Edited by ghost82
On 11/29/2020 at 12:04 AM, cat2devnull said:

You can just build a new .img with the opencore EFI filesystem in it and just boot from that instead of your old qcow2 image by changing your Unraid config file.
I talked about doing this in the following post. https://forums.unraid.net/topic/84601-support-spaceinvaderone-macinabox/page/44/?tab=comments#comment-907711

Thx a lot.

I was able to make a EFI image (dmg) and boot into it.
With Clover everything is fine and it works like booting from the qcow2 file except that the EFI disk is mounted in the OS after boot.

Right now I am installing the Big Sur 11.0.1 update with Opencore.

Had some problems after I found out, that 11.0.1 needs the newest OpenCore Version, updated from 0.6.3 to 0.6.4 and now update runs.
I report if everything goes fine...

Update: I get a Panic.

11.0.1 System does not boot after update!

See screenshot. Any help?

20201130_182218.jpg

Edited by derpuma
17 hours ago, derpuma said:

Update: I get a Panic.

oooh I saw now: rooting from the live fs of a sealed volume is not allowed..."

Just set in opencore config SecureBootModel to Disabled (you probably set it to Default now) or update your opencore to the latest master release; Secure boot was fixed for big sur only recently.

Edited by ghost82
7 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Share your config.plist and tell us which version of opencore you are using.

Are you using filevault?

Thx for the help. I think I might be on 0.6.4 but I am not sure, as I am completely new in OpenCore.
I do not use filevault, no encryption at all.

Attatched you find my EFI OpenCore Folder, also my macOS BigSur XML.

I am not sure how to setup my OpenCore while running BigSur.
I used ZEN settings for Opencore, but this might be wrong, as Virtualisation needs it setup for penryn?

EFI_Opencore.zip BigSur-XML.txt

5 minutes ago, derpuma said:

Attatched you find my EFI OpenCore Folder, also my macOS BigSur XML

I edited my reply above, please check and report.

That's strange because you already have SecureBootModel Disabled in the config plist you attached..Are you sure you are using that image?

The error is clear, and it's related to a bugged implementation of SecureBootModel, I have no other explanation..

Edited by ghost82
26 minutes ago, derpuma said:

Attatched you find my EFI OpenCore Folder

You also have a lot of kernel patches in your config.plist, you don't need them.

I only have these:

<key>Patch</key>
		<array>
			<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string>_cpu_topology_sort</string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>algrey - cpu_topology_sort -disable _x86_validate_topology</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>6AAA//8=</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>kernel</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>/wAA//8=</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>Dx9EAAA=</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>
			<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>Any</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>algrey - cpuid_set_cpufamily - force CPUFAMILY_INTEL_PENRYN</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>MduAPQAAAAAGdQA=</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>kernel</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>/////wAAAP///wA=</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>u7xP6njpXQAAAJA=</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data></data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>
		</array>

And these are the main differences with my config:

<key>EnableWriteUnprotector</key>
			<true/>

<key>RebuildAppleMemoryMap</key>
			<false/>

<key>SyncRuntimePermissions</key>
			<false/>

<key>ForceSecureBootScheme</key>
			<true/>

<key>PowerTimeoutKernelPanic</key>
			<false/>

<key>XhciPortLimit</key>
			<false/>

<key>PickerAttributes</key>
			<integer>0</integer>

<key>PollAppleHotKeys</key>
			<true/>

<key>TakeoffDelay</key>
			<integer>10000</integer>

<key>DisableWatchDog</key>
			<false/>

<key>AllowSetDefault</key>
			<false/>

<key>WriteFlash</key>
		<false/>

39 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

You also have a lot of kernel patches in your config.plist, you don't need them.

I only have these:

And these are the main differences with my config:

I deleted my prior post and I changed my config.plist according to your settings. Still the same boot error as shown in my screenshot.

Can you share your EFI Folder? Which Hardware are you using?
Is there a difference if I use AMD instead of Intel?
My Hardware: x570 aorus pro Mainboard, AMD 3900X, AMD 5700XT
I guess there is no way to undo the update and go back to Catalina?

EFI.zip

14 minutes ago, derpuma said:

I deleted my prior post and I changed my config.plist according to your settings. Still the same boot error as shown in my screenshot.

Can you share your EFI Folder? Which Hardware are you using?
Is there a difference if I use AMD instead of Intel?
My Hardware: x570 aorus pro Mainboard, AMD 3900X, AMD 5700XT
I guess there is no way to undo the update and go back to Catalina?

EFI.zip 1.98 MB · 0 downloads

You should have just backed up the vdisk. I did, tried to update, failed, deleted that vdisk, got my backup up amd running in seconds.. Which btw you should have a process to backup your vms 

14 minutes ago, mSedek said:

You should have just backed up the vdisk. I did, tried to update, failed, deleted that vdisk, got my backup up amd running in seconds.. Which btw you should have a process to backup your vms 

I know, nothing very important on my catalina install.
Expect of one folder with files where I worked on for some hours and did not backup them cause of stupidity. 🙂

Indeed I did clone it before updating, but I lost my backup yesterday. It was the first time a diskimage dissapeared from my domain share folder.
What happend: While I was rendering my system crashed and after restart of the unraid server I was unable to mount my folders and the disk of my array.

After XFS repair all came back, except my Catalina vdsik image. 😞 imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16 guess It was lost, because the system crahed while writing to it and XFY was not able to recover it. If there is another chance to get it back, I will be happy to know how... 

Unfortunately I am not able to mount the Big Sur vdisk image. When I try to mount it I get this (see screenshot).

But I guess I can reinstall Catalina via recovery boot dialog over the existing bootfail partition and the apps and data will stay there.

Never had to do this before...

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-01 um 13.03.10.png

Edited by derpuma
update
On 11/26/2020 at 6:54 PM, Jagadguru said:

Ok, I removed the balloon device from the VM definition XML and ran the my memory eater script again.

This time when memory was filled up the system killed the memory eater process just like it should.

you can use kvm shared pages instead to save some memory if your system memory goes over 80%.

I've installed Catalina on Unraid on NUC and it works fine, but without connecting to apple id server. Then I've tried to edit xml to change the interface to e1000-82545en and it stopped working:

image.png.490737f79811f55adb5dd47cbb39b471.png

If I delete this change is is starting to work  again.

Then I tried to add logical processors and it stop working at all - there was a problem with the screen:

image.thumb.png.3aaefd139f74718573aca38a1cd48a9a.png

Any ideas?