[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

So I had macinabox working previously (the version before bigsur was supported), worked great.

I followed space invader ones steps in the video, precisely, to remove my old VM, docker, template, etc... I've gone through the video several times to make sure I'm not missing a step.

My docker is configured precisely as noted in the video (same paths/etc..) but I'm getting this error when I try to fire up the VM with bigsur for the first time:

"operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

I've removed everything and have gone through the video several times, all with the same result.  The only thing that's not 'stock' on my unraid would be that I have a pool of nvme SSDs in addition to my cache (running 6.9 rc1) and I have moved my 'domains' directory for VMs to that pool.

38 minutes ago, shutterbug said:

"operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

I got this error once - deleting the custom_ovmf folder (along with /appdata/Macinabox and the folder in Domains), the scripts, and reinstalling the container did the trick. 

rm -r /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, mechmess said:

I got this error once - deleting the custom_ovmf folder (along with /appdata/Macinabox and the folder in Domains), the scripts, and reinstalling the container did the trick. 

rm -r /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf

Deleting the custom_ovmf folder was what I needed, thanks so much!

Well I finally got the macinbox vm working, I formatted my 107gig disk, started the OS reinstall of bigsur, it ran for about 1/2hr, appeared to complete without errors, then when it rebooted and I'm back to the screen that has macos base system, macos installer, recovery, uefi shell, shutdown and reset nvram.  If I reinstall again, same things happens.  I seem to be stuck in a loop and never get an option to boot into the OS.

Edited by shutterbug
14 minutes ago, shutterbug said:

Well I finally got the macinbox vm working, I formatted my 107gig disk, started the OS reinstall of bigsur, it ran for about 1/2hr, appeared to complete without errors, then when it rebooted and I'm back to the screen that has macos base system, macos installer, recovery, uefi shell, shutdown and reset nvram.  If I reinstall again, same things happens.  I seem to be stuck in a loop and never get an option to boot into the OS.

Exact same on mine, first attempt yesterday, on 6.9RC1 - Completely removed everything, rebooted and getting the same thing on 2nd Try (attempting to install BigSur).

YvHMQuP.png

• Like 1

I was having a lot of problems with the newly created VM not appearing on the VMs page of the GUI. I investigated by running

tail -f /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox/macinabox_Big\ Sur.log

in a command window and I saw that the notification from the first user script was popping up before the installer had been completely converted from the .dmg file that's downloaded and the .img file used by Unraid. By ignoring the notification and watching the log to make sure the conversion was complete I then ran the helper script and the new VM appeared as expected.

13 hours ago, mechmess said:

I've got a really strange bug. 

I was able to successfully install and boot the VM to the desktop (Big Sur). I then proceeded to add two additional CPUs and my GPU, add the name of the VM to the script, apply the script, and successfully reboot. 

Following this I then attempted to pass through my USB controller, following the same procedure applying the script after editing the VM, and then attempted to boot - my display then will not initialize and 1 CPU core is pegged to 100%. 

Removing the USB controller from the VM and rebooting Unraid does not solve the issue. I also attempted to remove the GPU, and the VNC window then says that the guest has not initialized the display. I have deleted everything and started from scratch and the same problem pops up as soon as I pass through the USB controller. The only thing that seems to resolve it is deleting all Macinabox files and starting from scratch. 

Here below is the log from when I have returned all VM settings to default, with the issue presenting. 

ErrorWarningSystemArrayLogin

-device pcie-root-port,port=0xb,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x3 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x13,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x3 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0xa,chassis=5,id=pci.5,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1.0x2 \
-device pcie-pci-bridge,id=pci.6,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-opencore.img","node-name":"libvirt-3-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-3-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-3-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=libvirt-3-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/isos/BigSur-install.img","node-name":"libvirt-2-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-2-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-2-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.3,drive=libvirt-2-format,id=sata0-0-3,write-cache=on \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Macinabox BigSur/macos_disk.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.4,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=sata0-0-4,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=35,id=hostnet0 \
-device e1000-82545em,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:47:d7:ba,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=36,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 \
-k en-us \
-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pci.6,addr=0x1 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0 \
-usb \
-device usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0 \
-device '************************' \
-smbios type=2 \
-cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2020-12-12 16:22:36.410+0000: Domain id=9 is tainted: high-privileges
2020-12-12 16:22:36.410+0000: Domain id=9 is tainted: custom-argv
2020-12-12 16:22:36.410+0000: Domain id=9 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

I and I have the same situation. When I use VNC to display, I can enter MacOS normally, but when I pass through the graphics card, I cannot enter MacOS normally, and then on the Dashboard of UNRAID, a CPU 100% condition will be displayed. Big Sur and Catalina are in the same situation.

When I use Macinabox's Docker GUI to view the VM, an error message of Missing comptible GOP-Not Found appears

image.thumb.png.a3dc3b719c79c2189ef3c83fce8f51f3.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

MB: MSI B450M Mortar MAX

GPU: R9 370X
image.thumb.png.9220c8ffb25b638ae36d88238a8f5b80.png

Hi SpaceInvaderOne,

firstly, thanks for this, a wonderful tool.

My question would be if it was possible to add Sierra as an OS option, for a legacy FCP Studio 3 and DVD Studio 3 and an old Adobe Encore installation, which is unsupported software under High Sierra, and is still the best way for building the occasional DVD or BluRay when they are asked for? So far I had a dedicated machine standing around for this, but it's only in use occasionally and I'd love to do this virtually.

That would be really really nice.

Thanks and keep up the great work.

M

4 hours ago, SuperW2 said:

I think you need to click through the "macOS installer" (2nd icon from left) 3 or 4 more times before it finishes and the OS starts

sure enough, 5 total clicks on macOS installer after a reboot each time got me into the OS.  Thank you!

(and SpaceInvader One does indeed note this in the video, now that I've gone back and reviewed, doh!)

Edited by shutterbug
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, xuwenfeng said:

For help, my GTX760 went through the stage of setting up the video card without a screen on the display, and the version is Big SUR

I tried to pass through my Nvidia 1050ti and it blew up my entire unraid system.  I am still trying to get everything back up and running correctly.

Why it just wouldn't fail to start the VM with an error, instead of taking out all my VMs and causing a hard reboot is beyond me.

47 minutes ago, susnow said:

1145409588_QQ20201214235410.png.ff28fa8f40b253a0c6118f2750e21d39.png

am i faild? my vm stop at apple logo .. if i want passthrogh some pcie device(like broadcom wireless network adapter) should i make some changes here or makes some change in opencore configrator?

so sad that if i passthrogh  the pci device 

Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter | Network controller (0b:00.0)

then i can't forward from apple logo....

but i seen that https://dortania.github.io/Wireless-Buyers-Guide/types-of-wireless-card/pcie.html says this device is full support for macintosh... 

i don't want to loss the airdrop and handoff 

is there any way let the os know my device?

thanks guys 🥺

3 hours ago, susnow said:

so sad that if i passthrogh  the pci device 

Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter | Network controller (0b:00.0)

then i can't forward from apple logo....

but i seen that https://dortania.github.io/Wireless-Buyers-Guide/types-of-wireless-card/pcie.html says this device is full support for macintosh... 

i don't want to loss the airdrop and handoff 

is there any way let the os know my device?

thanks guys 🥺

Just make sure when you have passed through the device that afterwards you have re run the macinabox helper script to fix the xml. 

Usually sticking on the apple logo is down to the missing qemu args at the bottom of the xml template.

12 hours ago, Helmonder said:

Did anyone succeed in logging in to the appstore ?  Or is there another way to get apps in there ? I miss my office..

Yes you can fix that by doing the following

1. download hackintool    https://github.com/headkaze/Hackintool/releases/tag/3.4.9

2. Open it and goto peripherals

3. Your nic should be en0 and a virtual intel nic (you can have other nics but you must have en0 which is intel.

4. if your nic is not en0 then run the following in mac terminal then reboot the vm. Then it should be en0

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist
sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

5. You want the nic to say en0 and have a tick where it says built in as in the pic below

1548038261_Screenshot2020-12-14at20_38_14.thumb.png.425695e23ce337f89c446a54ea5a3623.png

6. If it doesnt then you will need to open your opencore configurator goto tools then open the efi partition and open the config.plist file with open core.

7. goto device properties then at the bottom click on the list of pci devices. 

1916011518_Screenshot2020-12-14at20_56_02.thumb.png.0857bf669f619bec8bb199428360faa1.png

Find your network adapter and click it.

It will add it in as below

2103617263_Screenshot2020-12-14at20_56_58.thumb.png.b30d60838fcfade9a48a67f97edcf156.png

Now we need to click the plus button on the bottom far right of the screen.

It will allow us to add a key

386469863_Screenshot2020-12-14at20_59_06.png.76b45c48532d10131d970f4169c3abe6.png

Now we need to add the key built-in with the type set as Data and the value as  01

734704885_Screenshot2020-12-14at21_02_24.thumb.png.a632e20b70bf81e6a3db1675f8772bae.png

Now whilst here in opencore configurator double check that you do have a system definition defined in platform info.

Now save the changes and reboot the vm, check with hackintool that it now has a tick on builtin. Now log into apple services :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 12/12/2020 at 8:35 AM, mechmess said:

I've got a really strange bug. 

I was able to successfully install and boot the VM to the desktop (Big Sur). I then proceeded to add two additional CPUs and my GPU, add the name of the VM to the script, apply the script, and successfully reboot. 

Following this I then attempted to pass through my USB controller, following the same procedure applying the script after editing the VM, and then attempted to boot - my display then will not initialize and 1 CPU core is pegged to 100%. 

Removing the USB controller from the VM and rebooting Unraid does not solve the issue. I also attempted to remove the GPU, and the VNC window then says that the guest has not initialized the display. I have deleted everything and started from scratch and the same problem pops up as soon as I pass through the USB controller. The only thing that seems to resolve it is deleting all Macinabox files and starting from scratch. 

I've got the same issue, though its related to my graphics card... I was able to get VNC working again by editing the XML and changing the 'bus' within the <video> tag to 0x00 from 0x0A.  I also had to change the slot to 0x02, but that might be particular to my system.

That allowed me to get VNC working again, but nothing I do can get the graphics passthrough working on my AMD R7 265. 

Weirdly, I've been using that graphics card with no problems on a catalina VM I created using the previous version of Macinabox, so I assume it must have something to do with the switch from clover to opencore... if anyone has any ideas about how to fix this, I'd really appreciate it!

My XML is below (key removed)

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Macinabox Catalina</name>
  <uuid>ddbe0239-9fe1-49fe-af29-99811c72b2b9</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="default.png" os="osx"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='7'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='9'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/ddbe0239-9fe1-49fe-af29-99811c72b2b9_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='2' threads='2'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='topoext'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/Catalina-opencore.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/Catalina-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/SSD/images/Macinabox Catalina/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x8'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x9'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:d5:ab:c0'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x09' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=XXXXXXX'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Edited by mysciencefriend
Added additional info

Does anyone have problems with the pass-through GPU card?

My environment is:

UNRAID: 6.9.0 RC-1

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

MB: MSI B450M Mortar MAX

GPU: Radeon 5500XT (just one GPU card)

MacOS VM: BigSur, Catalina

Then follow the video of @SpaceInvaderOne to create a new MacOS VM, and finally I can successfully log in to the OS in VNC mode and put in the EFI configuration file.

But when i shutdown the VM and edit the VM setting to passthrough GPU and GPU's audio, it's bring the black screen to me.

When my monitor is black, I can only use the WebGUI on the docker of macinabox to check the situation, and it's will show some error msg.

image.thumb.png.7e3daef5b1ba53afd9d2c753119e194d.png

And at this time, there will be a situation where a CPU core is fully loaded.
image.png.710e78053c1ad875bbdeaa77d93145ba.png
I don’t know if it’s the macinabox problem or the opencore problem, because the clover version of macinabox can passthrough GPU normally.

Hope someone can help me, or is there a way to go back to the clover version of macinabox, thank you.

Finally, attach my XML file.

Edited by jonathanm
remove osk