[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

may a question about EFI edit on high sierra (worked like described on bigsur) as i would like to test out with a gpu now and im on nvidia only.

when i walk through the video, on minute 12 there is mounting the EFI partitions and copy over the files, but on high sierra im missing the target partition ...

image.thumb.png.ee08e4d5bb3f6e61480d863158e469a8.png

live with it and no way to autostart without the other partitions or is there a different way maybe ?

thanks ahead

23 minutes ago, czarci said:

I think there is something off with the permissions in my setup, is there a way to "reset" it? Why would such error occur...

I followed the tutorial and just after running the helper script I have

obraz.png.49a35a64d5dd0edfb31d7e816372f9d9.png

If I want to delete it, it's:

obraz.png.844b47e73cd7fb3fd148243bf7078323.png

If you want to delete the vm and it moans about not being able to remove the nvram please do the following

1.  In unraid vm manager click to edit the vm 

2. scroll to bottom and click update.  (dont run helper script afterwards)

365500914_Screenshot2020-12-19at15_37_21.thumb.png.94e995c378b48869f58ca8e9670f0c5a.png

3. now you can delete the vm from in unraid vm manager

20 hours ago, bjornatic said:

Is there really an advantage to choose the "right" model ? (beside having one that is not too old for BigSur)

Maybe not when you're using a virtual Hackintosh but when you're running on bare metal it helps to choose a model that's at least close to your actual hardware. That's the advice I picked up from the TonyMacX86 forum a few years ago, anyway. I simply chose the model I've found to be reliable for a long time but it turned out to be too old for Big Sur. That is to say, it installed OK and ran OK but it didn't recognise the fact that there was an update to 11.1 available. Simply changing the machine type to iMacPro1,1 fixed that.

41 minutes ago, alturismo said:

may a question about EFI edit on high sierra (worked like described on bigsur) as i would like to test out with a gpu now and im on nvidia only.

when i walk through the video, on minute 12 there is mounting the EFI partitions and copy over the files, but on high sierra im missing the target partition ...

image.thumb.png.ee08e4d5bb3f6e61480d863158e469a8.png

live with it and no way to autostart without the other partitions or is there a different way maybe ?

thanks ahead

I'm running High Sierra. I just mounted the EFI o partition, copied the EFI and NVRAM over to the EFI on MacOS partition. Works and boots fine. 

GPU passthrough on the other hand...if you get that working with your Nvidia GPU, please let me know how. I'm still trying to get a 1080ti through without having to also use VNC. 

34 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

If you want to delete the vm and it moans about not being able to remove the nvram please do the following

1.  In unraid vm manager click to edit the vm 

2. scroll to bottom and click update.  (dont run helper script afterwards)

3. now you can delete the vm from in unraid vm manager

unfortunately it's stuck on "Updating..." I waited like 5-10 minutes, then if I try to remove it, it's the same. Funny enough if I go to Tools -> Docker Safe New Perms, the VM disappeared? and then I just removed the file on cache...

15 minutes ago, czarci said:

unfortunately it's stuck on "Updating..." I waited like 5-10 minutes, then if I try to remove it, it's the same. Funny enough if I go to Tools -> Docker Safe New Perms, the VM disappeared? and then I just removed the file on cache...

If you have the "stuck on updating" with a vm this is normally due to when you have had something added previously (like a usb device passed through) and the device is no longer there. Or if you have removed the vdisk etc. Basically Unraid cant see all the devices that are defined in the template so when clicking on update it just hangs

Have you removed anything from the vm since creating it?

47 minutes ago, nlash said:

I'm running High Sierra. I just mounted the EFI o partition, copied the EFI and NVRAM over to the EFI on MacOS partition. Works and boots fine. 

GPU passthrough on the other hand...if you get that working with your Nvidia GPU, please let me know how. I'm still trying to get a 1080ti through without having to also use VNC. 

GPU passthrough worked directly, edit vm, add gpu, add gpu audio, i also added the bios rom file

run the helper script, restart done

sadly i didnt get any audio device from nvidia

now, i gave it another try again with the EFI files and ended up again the same after i moved the file and directory (merged it as there is one already with different subfolder), removed the 2 boot devices from template so only vmdisk is left, run the helper script, VM wont boot again anymore at all.

Boot menu comes up, i select macos disc, restarts over to the boot menu ...

so for now im frustrated with macos, wanted to try how it works with a gpu, i have to say its pretty snappy then ... so if you like macos, give it a try.

as note, i used the command from @SpaceInvaderOne to install the webdriver, when i downloaded them and tryed manually to install them it always told me im on the wrong macos version (which wasnt the case), just no audio came up.

1 hour ago, nlash said:

ok, i tried now by adding the opencore and install images again, still cant boot anymore.

so you say it works in your place, you did remove the 2 entries from the vm template and the vm boots fine directly ?

in case u didnt remove the 2 entries and still have to hit enter to boot, then be careful to remove them ... 

my intention was a direct boot like bigsur as sample ...

i give up now

7 minutes ago, alturismo said:

ok, i tried now by adding the opencore and install images again, still cant boot anymore.

so you say it works in your place, you did remove the 2 entries from the vm template and the vm boots fine directly ?

in case u didnt remove the 2 entries and still have to hit enter to boot, then be careful to remove them ... 

my intention was a direct boot like bigsur as sample ...

i give up now

Yes, I removed the other two disks. Just have the High Sierra installation that auto boots.

10 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

You can just run the vm with the opencore vdisk as the first vdisk. You dont have to transfer it into the main vdisk

3 minutes ago, nlash said:

Yes, I removed the other two disks. Just have the High Sierra installation that auto boots.

then somehow my vm is wrecked since i transfered the EFI files, nvm, thanks for the infos anyway.