[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

4 minutes ago, dojesus said:

Thanks! I found them and added them manually, however, after running the helper script, it didn't generate the VM. What am I missing?

when you followed the video in the 1st post step by step starting from removing "old" macinabox incl. old template, adjust new docker, start docker, wait a little until download is done, run vm ready script, edit vm helper script, start vm helper script, after notification start vm ...

i would start from scratch and watch the tutorial video, very good explained, if you still broke i would look for an error where it didnt do what u expected, like what comes when u run the helper script

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, dojesus said:

Hmm....I did watch the video, but I didn't see the part where it said I was to edit the script. Which part am I editing?

as the scripts didnt auto install in your case, may start by edit the helper scripts (in user scripts addon)

by default there is no name in the script ... "Macinabox HighSierra" without quotes as sample

15 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Try setting the nvidia gpu as a multifunction device as in this video here 

i gave it a try, but either i end up with no sound or no picture ;) i guess its due the busses are different then in your sample video

here how it looks like by default when i add the gpu (video & audio)

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/vms/VM/bios/bios_1030.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>

in your sample the busses are equal and the slots have to be adjusted, in my usecase the defaults are vice vers

image.thumb.png.26f000011fa786127729e4527da573e7.png

so i tried adjusting as sample by editing the bus but also no audio device found, i guess its by macos design mit a 10xx card ?

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <rom file='/mnt/vms/VM/bios/bios_1030.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <alias name='hostdev1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

if you think there is a solution, thanks ahead

Edited by alturismo
inserted edited xml part

@SpaceInvaderOne I just pulled down your latest container and trying to install Big Sur it actually runs the Catalina installer.

I've deleted everything and started over a few times (with unraid reboot in between for good measure) with the same result, is there a bug in the latest image?

The installer is correctly named BigSur-install.img but when you run it from the new VM it is definetly trying to install Catalina:

image.thumb.png.9608aa82282c744999103c93b5af2b5f.png

image.png.66cb3200f70c76b99efa88ed25af3bbb.png

1 hour ago, Jorgen said:

@SpaceInvaderOne I just pulled down your latest container and trying to install Big Sur it actually runs the Catalina installer.

I've deleted everything and started over a few times (with unraid reboot in between for good measure) with the same result, is there a bug in the latest image?

The installer is correctly named BigSur-install.img but when you run it from the new VM it is definetly trying to install Catalina:

image.thumb.png.9608aa82282c744999103c93b5af2b5f.png

image.png.66cb3200f70c76b99efa88ed25af3bbb.png

Hey,
I did the same thing earlier with the same result.
I tried deleting the Big Sur image files and changing it to method 2 which then grabbed the correct Big Sur image file from Apple.

So yeah, I'd say workaround-able bug to be fixed when there is time to.

Edited by doblez
  • Like 1

I've been spending a few hours on it, but somehow cannot get it to work.

I believe one issue is that I should have switched to method 2.

I am also confused though about the folder mappings in the docker and cannot figure it out from the video:

1) VM Images Location, VM Images Location again, Isos Share Location, Isos Share Location again

All four locations set to "/mnt/disks/NVME/VM/". This should be fine

2) custom ovmf location

It says that I should not change it, so I have not changed it. It is per default set to "/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/", which is not preferred by me as it places the files on "/mnt/disk1", which is not ideal. Any idea whether I can change this would be great. For now, left unchanged.

3) appdata, Macinabox only data, Basesystem 

It says the three should be the same. However, the default shows the first in the docker folder, while the other two in a user folder. Assume there is some mistake here? How to best set this up?

Thanks for your help!

Hey,
I did the same thing earlier with the same result.
I tried deleting the Big Sur image files and changing it to method 2 which then grabbed the correct Big Sur image file from Apple.
So yeah, I'd say workaround-able bug to be fixed when there is time to.

Thanks for this, just confirming that method 2 pulls down the correct installer for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
20 hours ago, steve1977 said:

1) VM Images Location, VM Images Location again, Isos Share Location, Isos Share Location again

All four locations set to "/mnt/disks/NVME/VM/". This should be fine

2) custom ovmf location

It says that I should not change it, so I have not changed it. It is per default set to "/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/", which is not preferred by me as it places the files on "/mnt/disk1", which is not ideal. Any idea whether I can change this would be great. For now, left unchanged.

3) appdata, Macinabox only data, Basesystem 

It says the three should be the same. However, the default shows the first in the docker folder, while the other two in a user folder. Assume there is some mistake here? How to best set this up?

It seems to be working for all of you, so there must be a user issue on my end stopping me. Maybe because of my docker settings? Any thoughts on how others have configured it? Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

It seems to be working for all of you, so there must be a user issue on my end stopping me. Maybe because of my docker settings? Any thoughts on how others have configured it? Thanks for your help!

you may should consider leaving them default, you know when you done u could just delete all that stuff die its needed for installing only ...

by adjusting all kinda volumes etc there might be a small issue somewhere which stops you.

also, you could start moving AFTER you done installing ...

1 hour ago, alturismo said:

you may should consider leaving them default, you know when you done u could just delete all that stuff die its needed for installing only ...

by adjusting all kinda volumes etc there might be a small issue somewhere which stops you.

also, you could start moving AFTER you done installing ...

Thanks. I think this makes a lot of sense. Can you confirm that your default setting for "appdata, Macinabox only data, Basesystem" also points to very different paths?

3 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

Thanks. I think this makes a lot of sense. Can you confirm that your default setting for "appdata, Macinabox only data, Basesystem" also points to very different paths?

i left them all untouched AFTER i removed the old macinabox docker AND appdata folder ... and all is good, way easier then 1st approach, may also consider removing the user scripts so macinabox creates them for you

Thank you Ed for another amazing update! Getting easier by the update.

Since the upgrade from the Clover to Opencore version from Catelina to Big Sur, I have been having fairly consistent crashes or kernel panics that do not stop the VM, it just hangs until I force close the VM so its hard to know what is causing it. It generally just goes to a black screen and isn't rebooting like it typically would. Everything works great in the VM except for these regular crashes. I wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue and what I could do to identify the root cause?

I am running the following:

MacOS 11.1

ASRock X570 Taichi

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X

48 GiB DDR4 Multi-bit ECC

MSI Radeon RX 570 8 GB

UNRAID 6.8.3

I have pinned the CPU with 12 core and 32GB for the VM. 

Edited by mafoster

Hey all,

Has anyone here gotten a 5700 to pass through in a MacOS VM? I cannot for the life of me get it to work. I set up a Big Sur VM with the new Macinabox and was able to get it to work fine with VNC.

However, as soon as I switched it to 5700 passthrough, it refuses to work. I can see the Apple logo go to about 33% but then it the screen just goes blank. I have added agdpmod=pikera to the NVRAM boot-args.

The GPU passes through fine with a W10 VM (minus the reset bug). I know it's something simple that I'm missing but just can't seem to figure it out. Your help is greatly appreciate as I need to make my daily driver.

Update: I got it to work. I was putting the "agdpmod=pikera" flag in the wrong section. DOH!

Edited by jiggad369