[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

Thanks to @alturismo I was able to get HDMI output devices to show up under my sound options using voodooHDA, but now the system is telling me that I have no output controls.

When I adjust the volume on my speaker knob and play a youtube video I still get no audio. Is there something else I need to do, or would it be the way my hardware is connected?

My Logitech speakers are connected via the line-out on the same monitor the RX570 is hooked up to (tried using both HDMI and DisplayPort).

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 9.23.20 am.png

5 hours ago, braydination said:

Thanks to @alturismo I was able to get HDMI output devices to show up under my sound options using voodooHDA, but now the system is telling me that I have no output controls.

sadly same here, but all audio is working actually, volume adjust here by the monitor ... or in the players like kodi, embedded players, ...

at least there is sound, if you find a better way, let us know, also would be happy to have it native incl. system volume control.

Edited by alturismo
4 hours ago, alturismo said:

sadly same here, but all audio is working actually, volume adjust here by the monitor

Hi, this is the expected behavior, sound through hdmi/dp is expected to not be controlled via software but via hardware, mechanical buttons on tvs or monitors or such.

However you can use third party applications, for example sound control, to be able to adjust the volume via software.

Merry christmass!

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1

I am trying to RDP to the mac VM from a windows computer and it's not detecting or able to connect. I have enabled Remote Management and Remote Login on the VM running Mac OS. I am trying to use Microsoft remote desktop on my windows computer. Is this possible? If this isn't possible, what are some good programs that have minimal latency when using the VM as the built in VNC client has quite a bit of latency.

Edited by rohram04
5 minutes ago, rohram04 said:

I am trying to RDP to the mac VM from a windows computer and it's not detecting or able to connect. I have enabled Remote Management and Remote Login on the VM running Mac OS. I am trying to use Microsoft remote desktop on my windows computer. Is this possible? If this isn't possible, what are some good programs that have minimal latency when using the VM as the built in VNC client has quite a bit of latency.

I use splashtop personal as Spaceinvader has recommended it. I'm able to connect from another VM, laptop or phone

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, rohram04 said:

personal experience, there is nothing really good compared to rdp windows when using mac remote, but thats my personal experience ...

vnc, speed well ... but scaling, audio, ...

teamviewer, ok ....

anydesk, ok ....

splashtop, never tested, give it a try, something similar to rdp would be really nice

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, rohram04 said:

I think my performance may be poor too. I have two cores dedicated to the Mac OS VM. and I set the system as a Macbook pro 2017 with a dual core i5. My processor is a ryzen 3 3200g so it's 4 cores 4 threads - of which 2 cores and, consequently, 2 threads, are dedicated to the VM. Should I try changing the mac model to a lower spec model and see if it optimizes the performance?

I have a problem with the gpu passthrough in Big Sur, i was using a gtx 1060 on high sierra, for a wihile and i decided to buy an amd card because I read that you need one to use a newer version. I've gotten a Sapphire RX 480 4G but when i try to pass it through i have a black screen and nothing happens. I dont even see the open core boot screen. Is there something i did wrong? 

2 hours ago, Boo3 said:

I have a problem with the gpu passthrough in Big Sur, i was using a gtx 1060 on high sierra, for a wihile and i decided to buy an amd card because I read that you need one to use a newer version. I've gotten a Sapphire RX 480 4G but when i try to pass it through i have a black screen and nothing happens. I dont even see the open core boot screen. Is there something i did wrong? 

I had this issue when I first got my rx 570. I had to stub the card for it to work. If you are on the newer versions of unRAID you can do it using the tools-system devices in the gui. Just check off the gpu and it's sound portion in there and reboot. I got nothing but black screens til I did that. I'm running big sur in a VM as well. 

8 hours ago, david279 said:

I had this issue when I first got my rx 570. I had to stub the card for it to work. If you are on the newer versions of unRAID you can do it using the tools-system devices in the gui. Just check off the gpu and it's sound portion in there and reboot. I got nothing but black screens til I did that. I'm running big sur in a VM as well. 

I tried to do it, but i still have a black screen? Also i dont think the card has a problem because i passed it through windows successfully.

Edited by Boo3
more info
5 hours ago, Boo3 said:

I tried to do it, but i still have a black screen? Also i dont think the card has a problem because i passed it through windows successfully.

Is the clover or opencore image updated? Do you atleast see the tianocore screen? If its goes black right after seeing the tianocore screen it could be a efi problem.

1 hour ago, david279 said:

Is the clover or opencore image updated? Do you atleast see the tianocore screen? If its goes black right after seeing the tianocore screen it could be a efi problem.

Nope no tianocore screen. Also im guessing i have the updated version, i deleted everything and downloaded it all again with macinabox.

10 minutes ago, ne10g said:

You’re passing in the BIOS for your GPU yeah?

Yes i dumped it with the newly released script and i also downloaded one. I tried them both but nothing happed. For a test i passed it through to my windows vm and there it worked i was able to boot into windows.

29 minutes ago, Boo3 said:

Yes i dumped it with the newly released script and i also downloaded one. I tried them both but nothing happed. For a test i passed it through to my windows vm and there it worked i was able to boot into windows.

Ive never been able to get this to work when passing a gpu. In the end I went bare metal, installed it, tweaked it and then used this as a template to create a vm and just passed through the bare metal nvme.

I then had issues with the reset bug (rx580) so gave up. Might try again with the old GT710 and see if that works better.

Might be worth trying the same? (Install bare metal and then pass through whole drive after you get working) 

Edited by ne10g

Got this in script

Script location: /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/1_macinabox_helper/script
Note that closing this window will abort the execution of this script
Starting to Fix XML
error: failed to get domain 'put the name of the vm here'
No network adapters in xml to change. Network adapter is already vmxnet3
Added custom qemu:args for macOS
topolgy line left as is
custom ovmf added
error: Failed to define domain from /tmp/put the name of the vm herefixed.xml
error: (domain_definition):3: Extra content at the end of the document

^

This is what has been done to the xml

Your network type was already correct. Network has not been changed.
The custom qemu:args have been added to you xml.
VM is set to use custom ovmf files.
xml is now fixed. Now goto your vm tab and run the VM
Rerun this script if you make any other changes to the macOS VM using the Unraid VM manger

No VMs in vm tab !

Edited by ingux16
3 hours ago, Boo3 said:

An update, i fixed my Old High Sierra vm to use the amd card and it works with no problems, so it might be a problem with big sur installation which is wierd because the vnc was working fine, im gonna try to install catalina next.

1 hour ago, ingux16 said:

Got this in script

Script location: /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/1_macinabox_helper/script
Note that closing this window will abort the execution of this script
Starting to Fix XML
error: failed to get domain 'put the name of the vm here'
No network adapters in xml to change. Network adapter is already vmxnet3
Added custom qemu:args for macOS
topolgy line left as is
custom ovmf added
error: Failed to define domain from /tmp/put the name of the vm herefixed.xml
error: (domain_definition):3: Extra content at the end of the document

^

This is what has been done to the xml

Your network type was already correct. Network has not been changed.
The custom qemu:args have been added to you xml.
VM is set to use custom ovmf files.
xml is now fixed. Now goto your vm tab and run the VM
Rerun this script if you make any other changes to the macOS VM using the Unraid VM manger

No VMs in vm tab !

Fixed typo error in docker template from  /user/Appdata/ to /user/appdata/ now fine

Edited by ingux16
On 12/10/2020 at 5:32 PM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

You havent finished the install.  The base system is the install media. The macOS installer is your big sur disk. Just select it and it will continue installing. (it has named itsself macOS installer because when you formatted the disk in disk utility you didnt name it)

It will restart to this bootloader a few times during install just keep pressing enter to continue each time and the install will finish

Just to rebound off this @SpaceInvaderOne, I did this multiple times and with 0 doubt renamed the disk (as you do in your video tutorial) but it still shows up in the way the previous person showed.

It somehow returns to this screen even though I name the disk "Big Sur". Using method 2 btw for install (not sure what difference it makes).

At the end of the installation process, it retakes the correct name though

Edited by SomeRandomSod
18 hours ago, Boo3 said:

An update, i fixed my Old High Sierra vm to use the amd card and it works with no problems, so it might be a problem with big sur installation which is wierd because the vnc was working fine, im gonna try to install catalina next.

I was able to install catalina and then update it to big sur and everything works, i don't know why.

unknown.png

On 12/25/2020 at 4:17 PM, alturismo said:

personal experience, there is nothing really good compared to rdp windows when using mac remote, but thats my personal experience ...

vnc, speed well ... but scaling, audio, ...

teamviewer, ok ....

anydesk, ok ....

splashtop, never tested, give it a try, something similar to rdp would be really nice

I use Nomachine and it works well.