[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

Even the web browser-based noVNC client supports resolutions higher than 800x600. SpaceInvaderOne recommends Splashtop as a more responsive solution. I haven't used it because it needs you to create an account on a third party server. I have no desire to access my desktops across the Internet. Spreading a desktop across multiple monitors is a different question entirely.

54 minutes ago, mortenmoulder said:

I run Windows on my main rig, and I want to connect to my Big Sur VM with either RDP or VNC, but I want it to span across all my monitors in the correct resolution. So far it seems like that's not possible with macOS.

RDP client in windows adapts the screen according to the client screen, mac os doesn't work as RDP. You need a vnc viewer client and screen sharing enabled or any vnc server on mac os.

When using a vnc client you will see exactly what you see in mac os: this means that if you have a monitor attached to mac os vm at 1920x1080 you will see on the client a 1920x1080 screen.

When you see 800x600 this is expected, as without a monitor attached to mac os it is not using gpu acceleration.

So mac os needs a monitor to be attached to a passed through gpu to have hardware acceleration, or a dummy plug.

If you have a client with more than 1 monitor (let's say 2 monitors) and mac os without any monitors attached you can connect to the gpu passed through in mac os 2x (because you want 2 screens on the client) hdmi/dvi/dp dummy plugs and point vnc to port 5900 for monitor 1 and 5901 for monitor 2.

Dummy plugs have different resolutions available, if you go with dummy make sure to carefully read specifications.

Edited by ghost82
2 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

RDP client in windows adapts the screen according to the client screen, mac os doesn't work as RDP. You need a vnc viewer client and screen sharing enabled or any vnc server on mac os.

When using a vnc client you will see exactly what you see in mac os: this means that if you have a monitor attached to mac os vm at 1920x1080 you will see on the client a 1920x1080 screen.

When you see 800x600 this is expected, as without a monitor attached to mac os it is not using gpu acceleration.

So mac os needs a monitor to be attached to a passed through gpu to have hardware acceleration, or a dummy plug.

If you have a client with more than 1 monitor (let's say 2 monitors) and mac os without any monitors attached you can connect to the gpu passed through in mac os 2x (because you want 2 screens on the client) hdmi/dvi/dp dummy plugs and point vnc to port 5900 for monitor 1 and 5901 for monitor 2.

Dummy plugs has different resolutions available, if you go with dummy make sure to carefully read specifications.

So basically if I have 3 monitors on my Windows rig, I need to VNC into the machine 3 times with 3 dummy plugs? Yeah, nah. I'll just stick with 1920x1080 and consider macOS a bad OS. I can't believe someone hasn't made a remote desktop server (not VNC), that automatically creates X amount of virtual screens, depending on how many monitors the guest computer has.

3 minutes ago, mortenmoulder said:

So basically if I have 3 monitors on my Windows rig, I need to VNC into the machine 3 times with 3 dummy plugs? Yeah, nah. I'll just stick with 1920x1080 and consider macOS a bad OS. I can't believe someone hasn't made a remote desktop server (not VNC), that automatically creates X amount of virtual screens, depending on how many monitors the guest computer has.

I think so, not tried personally, but I'm quite sure it works as I described.

For the rest (bad/good etc) I cannot comment, luckily we are in democracy and everyone is free to think what they want :D

2 hours ago, John_M said:

no Apple Screen Sharing client for Windows, which is also a shame.

You should be able to connect to Mac Screen Sharing with a VNC client on Windows if you allow that from the Mac side.

image.png.e3fa6530ad708e0fcee80f3ab171e465.png

Also, this solution claims to be the best (and may work without the above option), Remotix: https://remotix.com/remotix-win/

Edited by Espressomatic
56 minutes ago, Espressomatic said:

You should be able to connect to Mac Screen Sharing with a VNC client on Windows if you allow that from the Mac side.

image.png.e3fa6530ad708e0fcee80f3ab171e465.png

Also, this solution claims to be the best (and may work without the above option), Remotix: https://remotix.com/remotix-win/

I tried it, but unfortunately it does exactly what a regular VNC software does. I cannot get more than 1 screen working.

Hi,i installed Bigsur and everything works fine VNC and i connect to monitor and pass GTX 1050ti all good works.

Today Bugsur loading only on VNC ,but on Gtx 1050ti it starts and load the Apple logo only and stuck.The white loading line under the apple wont show up.

If someone knows solution for this please share.

Happy New Year !!!

Edited by Vesko
38 minutes ago, Vesko said:

Gtx 1050ti it starts and load the Apple logo only and stuck

See here for information about Nvidia graphics cards and macOS: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/will-my-nvidia-graphics-card-work-with-macos-list-of-desktop-cards-with-native-support.283700/

Edit: Click the "spoiler" button and you'll see that your card isn't supported by Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.

Edited by John_M
Added click the spoiler button
2 hours ago, John_M said:

See here for information about Nvidia graphics cards and macOS: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/will-my-nvidia-graphics-card-work-with-macos-list-of-desktop-cards-with-native-support.283700/

Edit: Click the "spoiler" button and you'll see that your card isn't supported by Mojave, Catalina or Big Sur.

Thank you very much.

I was happy that from the beginning of installation vga works good even not supported and then after few days just stop loading.I thought i did something wrong.

8 minutes ago, Vesko said:

I was happy that from the beginning of installation vga works good even not supported and then after few days just stop loading.I thought i did something wrong.

My guess is that during the installation is was working as a simple video output device, with no hardware acceleration. Now that you're trying to start the OS for actual use the fact that there's no driver available is causing it to hang.

29 minutes ago, John_M said:

My guess is that during the installation is was working as a simple video output device, with no hardware acceleration. Now that you're trying to start the OS for actual use the fact that there's no driver available is causing it to hang.

Yes,you are right i will go for AMD vga i think.

Thank you very much for your help and support.

Happy New Year!!!

I have tried installing both Catalina and Big Sur with the macinabox docker, each time it seems the install image that is downloaded stops at 2.15GB and does not increase in size. With the Catalina install, I left it overnight and the image file size was still 2.15GB. Tried Big Sur this morning and after about an hour and a half the install image file size is still 2.15GB. Am I doing something wrong? When I look at the macinabox docker log, it still indicating that it is downloading.....

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 10.18.27 AM.png

1 minute ago, ashman70 said:

I have tried installing both Catalina and Big Sur with the macinabox docker, each time it seems the install image that is downloaded stops at 2.15GB and does not increase in size. With the Catalina install, I left it overnight and the image file size was still 2.15GB. Tried Big Sur this morning and after about an hour and a half the install image file size is still 2.15GB. Am I doing something wrong? When I look at the macinabox docker log, it still indicating that it is downloading.....

Do you have the helper script and does it report that it has finished downloading?

Try deleting everything in the folders you see the Docker container points to locally, if they are associated with the Big Sur or Catalina updates. For Big Sur I am pretty sure you need Method 2, because Method 1 downloads Catalina regardless of what you pick.

I think I figured it out, issue on my end, trying method 2 now.

But now I see this in the docker log?:

Macinabox/unraid.sh: line 273: /Macinabox/tools/FetchMacOS/BaseSystem/SharedSupport.dmg: Permission denied

Tried again and got this:

2021-01-02 10:59:42,451 Network Request: Fetching https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
2021-01-02 10:59:43,091 Selected macOS Product: 001-86606
/Macinabox/unraid.sh: line 273: /Macinabox/tools/FetchMacOS/BaseSystem/SharedSupport.dmg: Permission denied

ERROR:
Unexpected end of input stream

Edited by ashman70
1 hour ago, ashman70 said:

I think I figured it out, issue on my end, trying method 2 now.

But now I see this in the docker log?:

Macinabox/unraid.sh: line 273: /Macinabox/tools/FetchMacOS/BaseSystem/SharedSupport.dmg: Permission denied

Tried again and got this:

2021-01-02 10:59:42,451 Network Request: Fetching https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
2021-01-02 10:59:43,091 Selected macOS Product: 001-86606
/Macinabox/unraid.sh: line 273: /Macinabox/tools/FetchMacOS/BaseSystem/SharedSupport.dmg: Permission denied

ERROR:
Unexpected end of input stream

Do you have the latest unRAID version? unRAID Version: 6.9.0-beta35 or above

41 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

No I am actually on unRAID 6.82 do you think that matters?

Updated to 6.9RC2 - getting this error?

I see that SpaceinvaderOne just commented on a pull request to fix said issue: https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/pull/34

He said it has been merged. Can you try again? If it's merged, it should pull the latest code and should fix your issue.

On 12/24/2020 at 3:02 AM, alturismo said:

thanks to @derpuma who pointed me to voodooHDA to bypass now the issue and audio via hdmi is working without any changes needed to EFI etc ... works directly after installation and reboot. tested with a fresh install (without all my already done mods).

so in case anyone has also no hdmi audio issue with nvidia 1030 on high sierra and cant find a solution ... may as hint thanks to @derpuma

Thanks @alturismo and @derpuma. I have passed through my AMD RX580 GPU. Video is working, but I don't have any Audio.

I looked into voodooHDA, but only found a kext. Is this what you are suggesting and how to add in opencore?

@steve1977 Simply grab the voodoohda installer, install and reboot.

Backup before you do.

The installer does all by itself, just do what installation says.

It also installs a prefpane under system settings.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

But remember, I recommend this only as a last option if nothing else works.

AMD RX580 works 100% without VoodooHDA simply by setup the VM XML GPU part as multifunction device and the right vbios loaded. Best option to getbthe vbios is selfexctract it from a running windows 10 with the help of GPU-Z.

Edited by derpuma
5 hours ago, derpuma said:

But remember, I recommend this only as a last option if nothing else works.

AMD RX580 works 100% without VoodooHDA simply by setup the VM XML GPU part as multifunction device and the right vbios loaded. Best option to getbthe vbios is selfexctract it from a running windows 10 with the help of GPU-Z.

Thanks for your help. In this case, I'd prefer to explore other ways first to get it working.

In fact, everything used to work well for me with the previous version of macinabox and catalina. My GPU was passed through with the dumped vbios. Video worked very well. From my memory, audio also worked (though I am not 100% certain).

It is a bit odd now. I installed the new macinabox and set up a new BigSur VM. It works well with VNC. It also works with passthrough GPU (RX580). However, no audio though. Also, it does only work when NOT passing through the vios. When passing through the vbios, Unraid crashes. I need to manually turn off my server and after reboot the VM tab even disappeared (which I can then enable and set up again). Net net, passthrough works, but vbios does not. I am quite sure that the vbios file is not the issue as it used to work with Catalaina / old macinabox with the same bvbios file and gpu.

Also, I haeve no idea what multifunction device is, but don't remember ever fiddling with this with the previous macinabox.

Any idea what I can try out?

8 hours ago, derpuma said:

Simply grab the voodoohda installer, install and reboot.

Backup before you do.

The installer does all by itself, just do what installation says.

It also installs a prefpane under system settings.

I don't recommend to install the pkg: are you referring to pkg version 2.8.8 (sourceforge)?

Here the drawbacks of installing the pkg:

1- it installs the kext and the prefpane in /system/... which will work in Catalina and prior versions, but not in big sur (here we have a snapshot --> locked /system)

2- the package installs kext v. 2.8.8 which is outdated, latest version is 2.9.6

3- minor: since it installs the kext in /system/.. you will not have audio until you are inside mac os

It's a lot better to inject the kext during boot! This will overcome all the listed drawbacks.

Update: packages downloaded from chris1111 are ok (?only clover? --> package name is VoodooHDA-2.9.6-Clover-Big-Sur), since it installs the kext in the efi, the pane in Library and should do the modification to the config.plist to inject the kext 

Edited by ghost82
  • Thanks 1