[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

On 3/10/2021 at 5:59 PM, saber1 said:

The current NIC for my macOS VM is bridged.

Whats the settings if i want to passthrough one of the physical NIC's to that VM?

It's no different than passing through any hardware to a VM (SSD, USB Controller, Video Card).

1) Go into Settings -> VFIO-PCI Config and bind the IOMMU group that has the ethernet controller (must not be the one that Unraid is using for the bridge).

2) Reboot for the change to kick in.

3) In your VM template, choose the device from the list of "Other PCI Devices" at the bottom (don't forget to then fix all the config that the GUI editor will break), or just add it by hand via the XML editor.

16 hours ago, TheAbz said:

can you expand on the "access console, modify /macinabox/unraid.sh" bit

cheers

After you change it to Method 2 and apply, and while the container is running, click the icon on the docker tab and click console.

Type

vi ../Macinabox/unraid.sh

Go to line 250 and press i to edit

change 001-86606 to 071-05432

press escape then :wq to save

Now reboot the docker.

Edited by Crilith
  • Thanks 3
On 4/20/2020 at 2:59 PM, AgentXXL said:

I've used the MacinaBox docker container to create multiple MacOS VMs and currently have it working for High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. The only changes made were to the paths required by the docker container and of course selecting the correct OS version. I used the full install method for all 3. Here's a screenshot of my Mojave setup (last one I created). All it required was the 3 changes.

MacinaBoxConfig.thumb.jpg.4eb3eec2d47b2cbea2c910973ccd3fb6.jpg

Hi,

Does anyone know how to create 2 instances of MacOS VMs?

Edit: I changed my current vm instance's name then reinstalled macinabox and I got it to set up another VM for me.

Thanks

Edited by aalyaqoub
On 3/11/2021 at 5:57 PM, cobhc said:

Anyone else getting where the docker just sticks at "Selected macOS Product" when you check the logs?

Hey cobhc I was getting the same thing after I edited my unraid.sh to include the updated Big Sur product id.

I did the following

1) uninstalled macinabox,

2) removed appdata: /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox

3) removed custom_ovmf: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf

4) check if there are any macOS images in /mnt/user/isos

5) after that I rebooted and reinstalled macinabox and put in the modified unraid.sh file and it seemed to work. Note: I used method 2 of installation cause method 1 causes problems.

Hope this helps

8 hours ago, aalyaqoub said:

Hey cobhc I was getting the same thing after I edited my unraid.sh to include the updated Big Sur product id.

I did the following

1) uninstalled macinabox,

2) removed appdata: /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox

3) removed custom_ovmf: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf

4) check if there are any macOS images in /mnt/user/isos

5) after that I rebooted and reinstalled macinabox and put in the modified unraid.sh file and it seemed to work. Note: I used method 2 of installation cause method 1 causes problems.

Hope this helps

But with your steps you also deleted the unraid.sh you edited right before.

Or at which step and which place do you "put in" the unraid.sh file?

I also deleted everything from macinabox 

rm -r /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox
rm -r /dev/urandom
rm -r /boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/1_*
rm -r Macinabox\ BigSur
rm -r /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/
rm -r /mnt/user/isos/*.img

After the first start I edited unriad.sh from console and restartet.

It was loading the basesystem and the log says "Big sure is downloading" but it stucks at "Selected MacOS product" and nothin is downloaded into domains or isos.

Edited by aurevo
On 3/12/2021 at 4:49 AM, Crilith said:

After you change it to Method 2 and apply, and while the container is running, click the icon on the docker tab and click console.

Type

vi ../Macinabox/unraid.sh

Go to line 250 and press i to edit

change 001-86606 to 071-05432

press escape then :wq to save

Now reboot the docker.

Brilliant!  Thanks for the help Crilith

I had a corrupted copy of BigSur and couldn't get to reinstall it.  Luckily I had kept the original install media but this is a great fix.

Thank you

I'm an Unraid and Mac noob, but I've been trying to follow along with the Big Sur tutorial.  I've got the VM installed and running, but when I click on "VNC Remote" it just opens up a new window and then "..." scrolls across the screen with nothing happening.  I can see on the Unraid dashboard it's pinning one of my CPU cores (just one) so it looks like it's doing something, but I never get past the "..." on the VNC viewer.  Suggestions on what's going on?

EDIT:  It seems this only happens on my ancient MacBook.  If I try and access it through my Windows PC and Chrome I get to an Apple Logo, but no further.

Edited by MSIGuy
Additional Info

Hello everybody, I need your expertise, please.

As described in the tutorial SpaceInvader One, I followed all the steps to install the MacOs Vm. If I start the VM and start the VNC, I can also boot the Catalina-opencore.img. When I press Enter to boot the image, the apple appears. However, there is no loading bar and nothing else happens. What am I doing wrong? Should I post the * .xml?

Thanks a lot!

@Space Invader One. You are my Unraid Hero 🙂 Thank you for all your Tutorials!!!

Hello All, I don't know from where to start so I will describe my system, its state and the concerns I have:

My system's details:
I have successfully installed BigSur on my SuperMicro x9drh-if with x2 e5-2670v2 with total of 52GB ECC RAM with passthrough to GTX 645 and ASM1142 for USB controller. I did not included a BT+WIFI simply because I don't need it and I don't want to waste my PCIE slots. Icloud, iMessage and FaceTime were configured successfully and accessible.

My concerns:
MY SSD is ADATA SU635 and its passthrough to the OS via Unassigned Devices and is running at "SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)" connected to the integrated SATA controller. The OS, however, is detecting the SSD as rotational drive and "sudo trimforce enable" does not make any change which was expected, but attempted. I am afraid that my system will not be trimming my SSD. In the xml the drive is passed as SATA:

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source dev='/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ADATA_SU635_2K432L1D97NG' index='1'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hda' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='1'/>
    </disk>

I have tried passing the drive as SCSI and VirtIO, however, only with SATA I can boot the drive.
How can I make my primary drive being detected as SSD and not as rotational drive so I can have it being trimmed by the system?

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.09.52 AM.png

Edited by Zvaniel4o
11 minutes ago, Zvaniel4o said:

How can I make my primary drive being detected as SSD and not as rotational drive so I can have it being trimmed by the system?

Change xml disc part to:

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' io='native' discard='unmap'/>
      <backingStore/>
    </disk>

Add qemu custom arg at the bottom of the xml:

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
    <qemu:arg value='device.sata0-0-1.rotation_rate=1'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Start mac os, start terminal and type "sudo trimforce enable", follow indications, reboot and you should have trim enabled.

This may be needed after each mac os update, at least it's how it behaves with my disc files.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Change xml disc part to:

<driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' io='native' discard='unmap'/>
      <backingStore/>
    </disk>

Add qemu custom arg at the bottom of the xml:

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-set'/>
    <qemu:arg value='device.sata0-0-1.rotation_rate=1'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

Start mac os, start terminal and type "sudo trimforce enable", follow indications, reboot and you should have trim enabled.

This may be needed after each mac os update, at least it's how it behaves with my disc files.

Thank you! That worked like a charm!!

Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 9.54.06 AM.png

19 hours ago, Strom12 said:

Hello everybody, I need your expertise, please.

As described in the tutorial SpaceInvader One, I followed all the steps to install the MacOs Vm. If I start the VM and start the VNC, I can also boot the Catalina-opencore.img. When I press Enter to boot the image, the apple appears. However, there is no loading bar and nothing else happens. What am I doing wrong? Should I post the * .xml?

Thanks a lot!

@Space Invader One. You are my Unraid Hero 🙂 Thank you for all your Tutorials!!!

Have you installed and ran the user scripts?

On 12/26/2020 at 5:22 AM, Boo3 said:

I tried to do it, but i still have a black screen? Also i dont think the card has a problem because i passed it through windows successfully.

Heyo,

Not sure if this is still an issue for anyone, but my Asus RX470 mining edition (detected as RX 570 in Win10 and MACOS) works great in the new  Macinabox and also WIN10.  Took me a while to find them, but here are settings that work perfectly every time for pass through:

Machine: Q35-4.2

BIOS: OVMF

ROM BIOS: SAPPHIRE RX470.4096

Have fun

Hello Everyone,

I keep getting "operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

This started after I tried to delete Catalina VM and deploy Big Sur. I've removed macinabox multiple times, deleted all traces that I can find. Rebuilt several times but now VMs of Catalina or Big Sur will not start. I searched the forums and found one mention of this issue but it does not appear to have a clear answer. 

Thank you,

PROBLEMS:

Black screen

Stuck on Apple logo

Can't reach recovery servers / no network

I followed the video EXACTLY and I hit all of these issues one after another.  I went back 10 pages and see these issues showing up repeatedly.

The solution to all 3 of these, is to skip ahead in the video to the 14 minute mark and add your server name to the script.  Run the script a second time and now you jump back to the 8:50 mark and install for the first time.  I don't know why this issue is plaguing so many of us first time installers.

Of course, you'll still end up with Catalina until that's fixed.  I was going to update the ID for Big Sur and start over, but decided that xcode 12 still runs under Catalina, so I'll try that first.  I'm just curious how responsive it is compared to my older Macbook Pro.  But man, for a walk through video this has now taken me 6 hours from start to where I am now which is just installing the OS.  The walkthrough video needs a walkthrough video.

Edited by thespooler
On 3/24/2021 at 12:08 PM, Tinkerdadnerd said:

Hello Everyone,

I keep getting "operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

This started after I tried to delete Catalina VM and deploy Big Sur. I've removed macinabox multiple times, deleted all traces that I can find. Rebuilt several times but now VMs of Catalina or Big Sur will not start. I searched the forums and found one mention of this issue but it does not appear to have a clear answer. 

Thank you,

If edit the vm  - make no changes hit update. It no longer throws the error but wm never gets past apple logo. Also notice now I can delete vms without the vram alert so I suspect I am missing something there to get a vm working again.

- Fixed with - rm -r /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf

Edited by Tinkerdadnerd

After installing the docker I am able to access the VirtManager.  The virt manager gives an error "The libvirtd service does not appear to be installed...."

I have tried just about everything including making a new libvirt.img file.  I am able to successfully create and run VMs from the VMS tab.