[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

1 hour ago, Zulu2k said:

And what about a fresh installation? Should we wait for a patch?

Fresh Installations should work fine. I added already two new Big Sur 11.3.1 without any problems. Maybe I am just lucky? xD

I already own a MacBook Air 2018 and I like the fact of working with both simutainusly. I Love Unraid and Spaceinvaderone for this script/app. Hackintosh-Systems are often just pain in the a**, but with Unraid everything seems so clean ❤️

Edited by RiDDiX
10 minutes ago, RiDDiX said:

Fresh Installations should work fine. I added already two new Big Sur 11.3.1 without any problems. Maybe I am just lucky? xD

I already own a MacBook Air 2018 and I like the fact of working with both simutainusly. I Love Unraid and Spaceinvaderone for this script/app. Hackintosh-Systems are often just pain in the a**, but with Unraid everything seems so clean ❤️

that's strange. Which Unraid version do you have? Are you changing the config of the docker container? 

I install the container and don't change any settings and then just run it. Then the notify script and then the helper script. After that, I start the VM and select the base image, which then bootloops.

20 minutes ago, Zulu2k said:

that's strange. Which Unraid version do you have? Are you changing the config of the docker container? 

I install the container and don't change any settings and then just run it. Then the notify script and then the helper script. After that, I start the VM and select the base image, which then bootloops.

I already did some bad things to my macos vm. A few sites before you can ready my problems. I solved them with some great help here.

After I fixed my first macos I tried just to do the same but with clear configs (this means I just set up my macinabox config and created my VMs. After creation I renamed them and created directly another one.

I always just edited the xml file directly (advanced view within the VM settings). Because you just need macinabox for starting downloading the bigsur-install-media and setting up the bigsur-opencore.img.

You could also just use one created xml file and add a new vm and just paste the xml file content to the new VM. Keep in mind to adjust the vdisk / hdd path and the name and UUID.

I got so already two working VMs and one in the pipeline for dirty testings xD

Sorry forgot to mention that I use Unraid 6.9.2

Edited by RiDDiX
1 minute ago, ishcabittle said:

Throwing my hat into the boot loop pile.  At first I thought I was not following the directions precisely, but seeing others with the same experience I feel more confident I'm doing things correctly and it is just bugging out.

Hackintosh stuff is always related to hardware and apples decisions. Sometimes it works "out-of-the-box" sometimes it is needed to investigate.

As far for me I had also some trouble at the beginning because it was my first Hackintosh VM with passthrough hardware.

After some research and help here in the forum I got everything working and my expertise is to never give up. xD

It is always hard to help, when just shorts informations are given. Most of the problems depents of settings within the xml file itself.

Correct mount-points, correct hardware ids and so on.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe it works for you (and not immediate for us for 11.3.1) as you seem to run on Ryzen. I believe the Penryn passthru patch for the config.plist is for Intel CPU's. Once i added that patch all works fine. But as it is not part of the current standard Macinabox, it wont work for fresh 11.3.1 installs out of the box on intel hardware with cpu passthru.

I see the same threads happening on the German form sections. Bootloops all over the place

Edited by glennv
17 minutes ago, glennv said:

Just my 2 cents. Maybe it works for you (and not immediate for us for 11.3.1) as you seem to run on Ryzen. I believe the Penryn passthru patch for the config.plist is for Intel CPU's. Once i added that patch all works fine. But as it is not part of the current standard Macinabox, it wont work for fresh 11.3.1 installs out of the box on intel hardware with cpu passthru.

I see the same threads happening on the German form sections. Bootloops all over the place

In real there's something it looks strange if I look at your case.

The penryn patch should not be needed with the custom qemu arg -cpu Penryn (as it is in the default macinabox).

However you pasted your xml with that qemu custom arg, but your screenshot shows xeon w, instead of something like core 2 duo, as it should happen with -cpu Penryn...

Edited by ghost82
1 hour ago, ishcabittle said:

Could you describe this process?  I am googling for this procedure and not finding anything significant.

Basically open the config.plist in the efi , search for "PENRYN" and after that <dict> blabla </dict> section add the following <dict>...</dict> section from below

<dict>
				<key>Arch</key>
				<string>x86_64</string>
				<key>Base</key>
				<string></string>
				<key>Comment</key>
				<string>DhinakG - cpuid_set_cpufamily - force CPUFAMILY_INTEL_PENRYN - 11.3b1</string>
				<key>Count</key>
				<integer>1</integer>
				<key>Enabled</key>
				<true/>
				<key>Find</key>
				<data>
				MdIAAIA9AAAAAAZ1AA==
				</data>
				<key>Identifier</key>
				<string>kernel</string>
				<key>Limit</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
				<key>Mask</key>
				<data>
				//8AAP//AAAA////AA==
				</data>
				<key>MaxKernel</key>
				<string>20.99.99</string>
				<key>MinKernel</key>
				<string>20.4.0</string>
				<key>Replace</key>
				<data>
				swG6vE/qeOldAAAAkA==
				</data>
				<key>ReplaceMask</key>
				<data>
				</data>
				<key>Skip</key>
				<integer>0</integer>
			</dict>

Edit: 

You do need to know how to mount the dmg or qcow to be able to access and edit the config.plist if you have no bootable system.

If you dont know , use this efi instead where i allready did it  (its a compressed qcow2 file so change the disk file and type to qcow2 in the xml when you use this image instead of the macinabox .img file)

https://cloud.tachyon-consulting.com:555/index.php/s/v5mOo9u61cB6szR/download

Change the serials etc once installed/booted in big sur.

Edited by glennv
  • Thanks 1

It would be interesting to know if any of these patches are required if you don't try and force the CPU to Penryn.

I've been using 10.15.x through 11.3.0 without issue but I have taken a slightly different route to SpaceinvaderOne.
I'm trying to keep everything running as stock standard (no custom OVMF etc) with latest versions of QEMU/Opencore etc. I'm passing the CPU though as Skylake and it's been flawless for me. Installs, upgrades, all WOB, no weird patching required. I also haven't needed to disable as much of the OS security.

<vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='20'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='21'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-5.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/xxxx_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'/>

<qemu:arg value='Skylake-Client,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,+hypervisor,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+popcnt,check'/>

9 hours ago, cat2devnull said:

<qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
  <qemu:arg value='Skylake-Client,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,+hypervisor,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+popcnt,check'/>

Here there are 2 different definitions: in libvirt you are defining the cpu as host (host-passthrough), and at the same time you are defining the cpu as Skylake-Client with some additional arguments, with custom qemu args.

As far as I know qemu args override the libvirt ones.

If qemu:arg for cpu is set to Penryn the penryn family patch should not be needed; I think the same is for Skylake-Client.

In case of cpu passthrough, and in case the cpu is not natively supported by mac os:

<qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
  <qemu:arg value='host,blabla,blabla,blabla...'/>

different patches may be needed to boot.

However something changed in cpu detection with 11.3+ so maybe there are other places to patch even if we force cpu to Penryn

Edited by ghost82

The same issue here,

after installing MACINABOX, i´ve run the 2 scripts, then i start the VM. when i choose OSX Base System, i see 2 seconds the Apple and then I've had an Bootloop. 

sorry for my bad English. 

mfg

martin

Edited by Mirtl213

Hello,

Im having issues with the VM loading. I have done the following steps one by one and rebooting between each one to see what is causing my booting issue.

Downloaded and installed Catalina - Booted Fine.

Changed cores from 2 to 3 (changed "no" to "yes" on the help script) - Booted Fine.

Change ram from 4 to 10 - Booted Fine.

Added a USB mouse - Booted Fine.

Added a USB keyboard - Booted Fine.

Added a USB headset - Booted Fine.

Upgraded to Big Sur - Booted Fine.

This is where the problems starts.

Added GPU pass-through. Its an RX 6700 XT. I get the below extra lines in the logs and it boots to only half the progress bar. I do get the output on my displayport monitor but like I mentioned, its stops half way through the progress bar. Also something I notice is that when I force stop the VM I still see the output on the monitor, the apple logo and the progress bar.

Anyone know how to fix this so I can pass-though my 6700 XT? Thanks.

2021-05-10 06:08:27.804+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: high-privileges
2021-05-10 06:08:27.804+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: custom-argv
2021-05-10 06:08:27.804+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2021-05-10T06:08:27.874054Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]
2021-05-10T06:08:27.875686Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]
2021-05-10T06:08:27.877103Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]

14 minutes ago, Ernie11 said:

Anyone know how to fix this so I can pass-though my 6700 XT? Thanks.

2021-05-10 06:08:27.804+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: high-privileges
2021-05-10 06:08:27.804+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: custom-argv
2021-05-10 06:08:27.804+0000: Domain id=20 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)
2021-05-10T06:08:27.874054Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]
2021-05-10T06:08:27.875686Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]
2021-05-10T06:08:27.877103Z qemu-system-x86_64: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.01H:ECX.pcid [bit 17]

amd 6xxx drivers are available only in big sur 11.4 (starting from beta 1), which is still a beta now (currently at beta 2).

Moreover, not sure about the 6700 (xt), changelog reports only 6800, 6800xt and 6900xt.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-big-sur-11_4-beta-release-notes

The others are not errors, first 3 raws mean that you are using qemu with custom args, last ones mean that in your qemu custom args you are injecting +pcid which is not supported by your cpu, simply remove +pcid from your qemu args in the xml.

Edited by ghost82
8 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

amd 6xxx drivers are available only in big sur 11.4 (starting from beta 1), which is still a beta now (currently at beta 2).

Moreover, not sure about the 6700 (xt), changelog reports only 6800, 6800xt and 6900xt.

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos-release-notes/macos-big-sur-11_4-beta-release-notes

The others are not errors, first 3 raws mean that you are using qemu with custom args, last ones mean that in your qemu custom args you are injecting +pcid which is not supported by your cpu, simply remove +pcid from your qemu args in the xml.

Hello,

How can I download the beta 2 to try?

6 minutes ago, Ernie11 said:

Hello,

How can I download the beta 2 to try?

You need to enroll the developer beta apple program.

Terminal:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil enroll DeveloperSeed

Now if you start system preferences and check for updates you will see on the left that you are enrolled for beta.

To unenroll from developer:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil unenroll

Edited by ghost82
15 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

You need to enroll the developer beta apple program.

Terminal:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil enroll DeveloperSeed

Now if you start system preferences and check for updates you will see on the left that you are enrolled for beta.

To unenroll from developer:

sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Seeding.framework/Versions/A/Resources/seedutil unenroll

Ok its downloading and installing. I will have to leave it here for today since its 2am. Tomorrow I will keep going after work and report back. Thanks for the help!

Anyone experiencing issues with boot loops and big sur 11.3+ can try this opencore img (based on data of macinabox opencore img):

https://workupload.com/file/yzchSP529XB

Opencore: v. 0.6.9 (debug) stable

VirtualSMC: v. 1.2.3 (debug) stable

AppleALC: v. 1.6.0 (debug) stable

Whatevergreen: v. 1.4.9 (debug) stable

Lilu: v. 1.5.3 (debug) stable

A pull request with this new image has been opened at original github.

Edited by ghost82
4 minutes ago, Mirtl213 said:

How can i install it? Download and then a new VM?

Install what? the image or big sur?

I don't know how macinabox works, as I don't need it, I think it downloads the images including the bootloader one.

If I were you I would let macinabox do its things, once it hangs during a fresh install or an update (if it hangs), force shutdown the vm and replace the OpenCore.img image with that provided by me.

Reboot the vm and you should be able to go.

Edited by ghost82