Jump to content
SpaceInvaderOne

[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

437 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

 

18 hours ago, FrozenGamer said:

I got it all working - works fine with the novnc, but im trying to setup splashtop - I can't see how to connect locally on the network from a windows 10 pc.  streamer installed on the vm and personal installed on the windows 10 machine - says unable to connect "to access a computer that's on a different wireless network you need the anywhere access pack) - the Mac's local IP is 192.168.122.xxx and my local network is 192.168.1.  Any tips on setting this up or a recommended alternative - i connected to the built in vnc with vnc viewer, but one time the keyboard didn't type and then after a reboot it did.  

 

15 hours ago, Jagadguru said:

If you change the line 


<source bridge='virbr0'/>

to 


<source bridge='br0'/>

The Mac VM should pull an ip address in the range 192.168.1.0/24

 

This is giving me MTU error

Execution Error  Cannot get interface MTU on 'br0': No such device

 

maybe this xml will help figure out what is wrong.  

 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacinaboxCatalina</name>
  <uuid>f6eedaff-8b35-4c05-a370-2421928d6968</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="default.png" os="Catalina"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:57:64:01'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='vmxnet3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>
 

Share this post


Link to post

***DELETED DUE TO INCLUSION OF OSK***

 

 

it canot start the machine

Edited by trurl
Deleted attachment due to OSK

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, abc233 said:

***DELETED DUE TO INCLUSION OF OSK***

 

 

it canot start the machine

DON'T POST OSK!!!

Share this post


Link to post

When I try to use 1000-82545em it freezes my machine after boot. I use vmxnet3 but it won't allow iCloud services..... when I use virtio it causes a reboot after the clover screen. Any thought? 

 

EDIT: Updated to 8.0rc5 (recommendation from another post) and this issue was resolved. 

Edited by calebcoverdale

Share this post


Link to post

I created a High Sierra VM and I am able to edit the # of cores in the VM Manager UI and then re-add all the changes to the XML, and the VM performs just fine (via VNC).

 

However as soon as I add my GTX 1080 GPU for pass-through, I get a bizarre repeated and compressed image on the monitor. It's like the screen height is shrunk by 3x, and then the image repeats 3 times from left to right. Any thoughts on why this would be? I've seen others in this thread complain about the same issue, which they claimed was solved by adding the "<os>" section of the XML back in. I've done this but nothing has helped. Open to thoughts.

 

ALSO: is there any way to modify the boot order in the clover boot menu? It seems to default to the installation rather than booting the actual already-installed OSX. Kind of annoying - I'm sure it's an easy fix but I can't for the life of me find it in the options.

Edited by GameKing505

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/10/2019 at 12:41 PM, FrozenGamer said:

 

 

 

This is giving me MTU error

Execution Error  Cannot get interface MTU on 'br0': No such device

 

maybe this xml will help figure out what is wrong.  

 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacinaboxCatalina</name>
  <uuid>f6eedaff-8b35-4c05-a370-2421928d6968</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="default.png" os="Catalina"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:57:64:01'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='vmxnet3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>
 

Check that in Settings > Network,   bridging is enabled and the bridge is named br0 and the bridge includes eth0 at least.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, GameKing505 said:

I created a High Sierra VM and I am able to edit the # of cores in the VM Manager UI and then re-add all the changes to the XML, and the VM performs just fine (via VNC).

 

However as soon as I add my GTX 1080 GPU for pass-through, I get a bizarre repeated and compressed image on the monitor. It's like the screen height is shrunk by 3x, and then the image repeats 3 times from left to right. Any thoughts on why this would be? I've seen others in this thread complain about the same issue, which they claimed was solved by adding the "<os>" section of the XML back in. I've done this but nothing has helped. Open to thoughts.

 

ALSO: is there any way to modify the boot order in the clover boot menu? It seems to default to the installation rather than booting the actual already-installed OSX. Kind of annoying - I'm sure it's an easy fix but I can't for the life of me find it in the options.

Note the native resolution of your monitor. First boot MacOS and change the clover GUI resolution to the native for your monitor (using clover configurator or whatever way you're comfortable configuring clover. Drop passthrough for now and set up VM to use VNC. Using VNC, press F2 or esc as VM is booting, then when you get the BIOS menu choose (I forget which) and set the resolution to the native for your monitor. Then hit continue. After it boots successfully into the desktop, shut it down. 

Then passthrough your graphics card and see if it looks right.

 

Boot order can be modified in the boot section of clover configurator on your MacOS desktop, after mounting EFI partition (I think "o") with the configurator.

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the help! I am new to OSX VMs, clover, etc. so some of what you suggested may have gone over my head (my apologies).

 

What I did -

 

I mashed escape upon booting the VM to get to the VM BIOS. Then I poked around looking for resolution settings and found this screen:

 

image.thumb.png.d83da3291d3e87bdc12f7a7120dec023.png

 

It seems the "preferred resolution at next boot" is 1080p and I seemingly can't change that option in the bios, but the "change preferred resolution for next boot" is set to the correct 1440p resolution. Is this right?

 

Next I booted the VM and installed Clover Configurator (which I found via googling). Then I mounted the EFI partition and opened up the config.plist file (is that right?) on there within clover configurator. Then I changed the screen resolution setting to 2560x1440, like so:

 

image.thumb.png.54da01b84e19904d1866fdf60dfce394.png 

After making these changes, I attempted to pass through the GPU but I got the same graphical error I described earlier. I can technically use the mouse and keyboard etc, but it's impossible to see what I'm doing, and the image is repeated 3x:

 

image.thumb.png.965a31c7d8163a0f33bb98bf286fef8c.png

 

Any other thoughts?

 

Share this post


Link to post
 
The macinabox template uses  custom ovmf files. If you change
    arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm    readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd   /etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/e930dfa3-ce5f-4a14-a642-d140ed8035bd_VARS-pure-efi.fd 

to be as below you will be back without the screen corruption.

      arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm    readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd   /mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd 

hope that helps


Thanks for the help! I am new to OSX VMs, clover, etc. so some of what you suggested may have gone over my head (my apologies).
 
What I did -
 
I mashed escape upon booting the VM to get to the VM BIOS. Then I poked around looking for resolution settings and found this screen:
 
image.thumb.png.d83da3291d3e87bdc12f7a7120dec023.png
 
It seems the "preferred resolution at next boot" is 1080p and I seemingly can't change that option in the bios, but the "change preferred resolution for next boot" is set to the correct 1440p resolution. Is this right?
 
Next I booted the VM and installed Clover Configurator (which I found via googling). Then I mounted the EFI partition and opened up the config.plist file (is that right?) on there within clover configurator. Then I changed the screen resolution setting to 2560x1440, like so:
 
image.thumb.png.54da01b84e19904d1866fdf60dfce394.png 
After making these changes, I attempted to pass through the GPU but I got the same graphical error I described earlier. I can technically use the mouse and keyboard etc, but it's impossible to see what I'm doing, and the image is repeated 3x:
 
image.thumb.png.965a31c7d8163a0f33bb98bf286fef8c.png
 
Any other thoughts?
 

Try the bit I’ve quoted you above in about the OS part of XML

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Jagadguru said:

Check that in Settings > Network,   bridging is enabled and the bridge is named br0 and the bridge includes eth0 at least.

do you mean these settings -? 

unraid network settings.png

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, blaine07 said:

 


Try the bit I’ve quoted you above in about the OS part of XML

 

Unfortunately I have tried that and it hasn’t worked. The only difference is that my paths are for the High Sierra OVMF flies and not the Catalina ones- but I assume that is as it should be. I’m still getting the graphical glitches...

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, GameKing505 said:

Unfortunately I have tried that and it hasn’t worked. The only difference is that my paths are for the High Sierra OVMF flies and not the Catalina ones- but I assume that is as it should be. I’m still getting the graphical glitches...

 

Ok so I didnt realise that you are having the issue when the vm is using the GPU.

What the problem is is that I you are using a Nvidia gpu.I thought you had gone back to vnc.

An nvidia GPU this needs web drivers to make work.

 

So 3 things you will need to do.

 

1. Boot back into the vm without passthrough using vnc. Install splashtop desktop personal streamer (free) https://www.splashtop.com/streamer

on the vm. And the Spalashtop desktop on your computer.

2. Open the clover configurator and goto system parameters and check nvidia web

then on smbios make sure you have product imac 14,1 (see pics)

993133966_ScreenShot2019-11-12at16_27_09.thumb.png.08438dd6b18550df79b1ec128c177251.png

599833274_ScreenShot2019-11-12at16_27_40.thumb.png.0ba81226b8f9ffd91070147a01e1a96e.png

 

3. Stop then vm. passthrough the graphics card again, then boot. (you will still see the garbled screen)

Use splashtop to connect to the screen. It will be very small screen but don't worry.

Open terminal and run this 

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh)

That will install the webdrivers for the gpu easily.

After that reboot and you should have a workable vm !! ....hopefully 😃

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Yep enable bridging and you will have br0

Thanks SpaceInvaderOne and JagadGuru !!  - I got it working splashtop works now - Is there any reason that splashtop has occasional and consistent delays - one every 45 seconds or so.  so i will have to wait 5 plus seconds for the text to show up or the item i click on to respond, then it goes back and works fine.i have connect via local network box enabled - and connection is smooth versus sharp.(these are the only settings i could find)  VNC is still a low latency consistently smooth connection.  

 

Any recommendations for a VNC or similar program to work with sound and shared clipboard?  I suppose shared clipboard more important than sound.  Other than Teamviewer? 

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, FrozenGamer said:

Thanks SpaceInvaderOne and JagadGuru !!  - I got it working splashtop works now - Is there any reason that splashtop has occasional and consistent delays - one every 45 seconds or so.  so i will have to wait 5 plus seconds for the text to show up or the item i click on to respond, then it goes back and works fine.i have connect via local network box enabled - and connection is smooth versus sharp.(these are the only settings i could find)  VNC is still a low latency consistently smooth connection.  

 

Any recommendations for a VNC or similar program to work with sound and shared clipboard?  I suppose shared clipboard more important than sound.  Other than Teamviewer? 

 

Hi. Splashtop works better with e1000-82545 nic type than vmxnet

Please try changing the nic type to that by changing this line

<model type='vmxnet3'/>

to

<model type='e1000-82545em'/>

 

For sound you should be able to get it working through splashtop by adding a virtual sound card. (also i think splashtop supports clipboard sharing..)

Please add this to the xml

  <sound model='ich9'>
  </sound>

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

 

Hi. Splashtop works better with e1000-82545 nic type than vmxnet

Please try changing the nic type to that by changing this line


<model type='vmxnet3'/>

to


<model type='e1000-82545em'/>

 

For sound you should be able to get it working through splashtop by adding a virtual sound card. (also i think splashtop supports clipboard sharing..)

Please add this to the xml


  <sound model='ich9'>
  </sound>

 

Same lag and sound still not working - although i did get some really glitchy sound when watching a video before adding the ich9. Clipboard functionality is there.  Looks like its using a lot of CPU according to activity monitor.  I bumped up to 8 gb of ram for the vm but left the cpu's at the default 2.  That doesn't seem to make a difference.  VNC works like a charm except the limitations of no clipboard or sound.  I haven't had any luck finding a good free small footprint vnc server or similar for Catalina yet.  Attaching the xml in case there might be something else wrong.  Sound would be nice but not critical.  Really none of this is super critical, but if someone has the time and has any ideas, thanks.

 

 

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' id='13' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>MacinaboxCatalina</name>
  <uuid>f6eedaff-8b35-4c05-a370-2421928d6968</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Catalina</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="default.png" os="Catalina"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>2</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/ovmf/OVMF_VARS.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='1' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Clover.qcow2'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/Catalina-install.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-3'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxCatalina/macos_disk.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-4'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:57:64:01'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/0'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/0'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-13-MacinaboxCatalina/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='connected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input2'/>
    </input>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <sound model='ich9'>
      <alias name='sound0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1b' function='0x0'/>
    </sound>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='isa-applesmc,osk=
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Hi folks, don't want to open a big discussion here to derail the thread, but if anyone has any thoughts on why I'd be seeing less than stellar performance in OSX VMs on a decent Threadripper system, please help me out here: 

Thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

GPU1: 5700 XT Nitro+ for Win10 -> work perfectly

GPU2: Dual RX 580 O8G for Mac -> Not detected in System Report.

 

RX 580 Passthrough not detected in System Report but VM boot perfect.

 

i tried dump vbios, download other every single vbios not solved my issue.

this problem came from clover side?

 

many thx guy.

 

image.png.d2ac1ad7b9a989ce9812442788d29126.png

 

my xml settring is..

 

 

***DELETED YET AGAIN DUE TO OSK***

 

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS??? DO YOU WANT TO BE BANNED???

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm having an issue when I try and install OS X that the download of the installer fails with the following error "Downloading installer information to the target volume failed". This is after formatting the Mac VM volume as APFS from within Disk Utility and then clicking on "Reinstall Mac OS", I have tried the install with both Catalina and Mojave with the same error

Share this post


Link to post

I can't recall precisely, but I seem to remember in a previous SpaceInvaderOne Mac OS X video, the recommended remote desktop software of choice was NoMachine.  I am not sure about anybody else, but SplashTop has been complete trash for me.  Connecting from a Win10 client to the Mac OS X guest VM, the display is sluggish and corrupts occasionally, the mouse pointer lags horribly, and I'm unable to even get the correct size running.  I have none of these problems with NoMachine.  Maybe it's ok with the default 1080p setup but it doesn't suffice for high res.

 

Here's what I did to get a high res desktop going:

 

- Boot VM as normal with an Unraid VNC connection

- Go get Clover Configurator, mount the EFI partition

- Change display resolution to 2560x1600 in Clover (native res of my monitor)

- Shut down VM

- Went into the VM BIOS and hit F2 a bunch of times, changed display res to 2560x1600 here

- Booted the VM, loaded SplashTop

- Tried a bunch of stuff to get SplashTop working properly, including changing the NIC to E1000 in the Unraid XML, no love

- Installed NoMachine, configured it and have been using it since

 

I also tried TeamViewer, it was comparable to NoMachine once you enable direct connection mode.  It's more 'busy' though; prefer the simplicity of NX.

Performance in all 3 seemed to be better with the vmxnet3 driver; have not tried iCloud or any other stuff.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2019 at 3:46 PM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

I passthough a controller that i known is compatible with macOS. You may have to use a kext if the usb controller that you are passing through isn't native to osx. 

I'm passing through two onboard usb controllers from my x570 aorus elite wifi, it seems to work natively in High Sierra. I can plug in my usb astro mixamp or usb-c pixel buds, and they are recognized as audio devices. But the audio through either is garbled/clicky. I don't know where to begin, do you think it's a usb problem, or an audio problem? My understanding was if you successfully pass through a usb controller, a usb audio device should just work. All these controllers and devices work fine in my win10 vm.

 

Any suggestions are appreciated, and I appreciate the great work!

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Skitals said:

I can plug in my usb astro mixamp or usb-c pixel buds, and they are recognized as audio devices. But the audio through either is garbled/clicky.

The only issue I'm having at the moment is audio. I cant seem to pass through my onboard or gpu audio. and Ive tried 3 usb audio devices, all show up fine, but all are choppy and static-y. 

Ironically, bluetooth audio works fine with a cheap BT dongle passed through, but not ideal for most of my situations

Share this post


Link to post

Unfortunately not having much luck this side, got the VM booting correctly however when trying to install either Catalina or Mojave tested so far, it hangs on "Downloading installer information to the target volume failed"

 

ZiF5ym

 

Any ideas anyone?

Share this post


Link to post

Been able to setup my Catalina intance just fine, this is a TERRIFIC job!!! A little bit of fiddling with editing xml but should have watched the entire video first.

 

Just one problem: Fix Common Problem complains that "Docker application MacinaBox has volumes being passed that are mounted by Unassigned Devices, but they are not mounted with the slave option" (yes, my VMs are on an unassigned device). Can I just mount them with that option to get rid of the message?

 

Thank you

Edited by melagodo

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.