[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

2 hours ago, BeardElk said:

Ah, Thank you! 

Yeah I just followed spaceinvaderone;s guide on how to install mac os as a vm on unraid, and downloaded the latest opencore. 
I´ve had it running after I´ve removed the EFI partition and installer from my xml, but I've haven't done anything other then "specify mac type" on opencore config! 

Edit: Question, how do I figure out which opencore corresponds with my EFI? 

Go through changelog and find the one corresponding to your EFI. 

If you installed macinabox (new version) very recently you will be at Opencore 0.79 and corresponding configurator should be 2.57

• Thanks 1

Hey all, I could use some help. 

I got to this point in the Macinabox Install Guide (see video), but now my VNC is just showing a black screen. And every now and then it flashes a screen that says Titan on it.  Not sure where I want wrong. 

LOG

-overcommit mem-lock=off \
-smp 8,sockets=1,dies=1,cores=4,threads=2 \
-uuid 10e99aac-6a53-4268-ac41-58916ae8cc3c \
-no-user-config \
-nodefaults \
-chardev socket,id=charmonitor,fd=31,server,nowait \
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew \
-global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x12,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x13,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x3 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x10,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x11,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/Macinabox BigSur/macos_disk.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=33,id=hostnet0,vhost=on,vhostfd=34 \
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:10:9a:4d,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=36,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 \
-k en-us \
-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2022-04-25 03:11:52.277+0000: Domain id=7 is tainted: high-privileges
2022-04-25 03:11:52.277+0000: Domain id=7 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

Edited by cypres0099
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Well.  I'm stuck.  

Once running system (Mojave) is now failing to boot.   (open spoiler to see logs)

Spoiler
-mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control \
-rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew \
-global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay \
-no-hpet \
-no-shutdown \
-boot strict=on \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x10,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x11,chassis=2,id=pci.2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x1 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x12,chassis=3,id=pci.3,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x2 \
-device pcie-root-port,port=0x13,chassis=4,id=pci.4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2.0x3 \
-device ich9-usb-ehci1,id=usb,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci1,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=0,bus=pcie.0,multifunction=on,addr=0x7 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci2,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x1 \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,masterbus=usb.0,firstport=4,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x7.0x2 \
-device virtio-serial-pci,id=virtio-serial0,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 \
-blockdev '{"driver":"file","filename":"/mnt/user/domains/MacinaboxLazarus/macos_disk.img","node-name":"libvirt-1-storage","cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"auto-read-only":true,"discard":"unmap"}' \
-blockdev '{"node-name":"libvirt-1-format","read-only":false,"cache":{"direct":false,"no-flush":false},"driver":"raw","file":"libvirt-1-storage"}' \
-device ide-hd,bus=ide.2,drive=libvirt-1-format,id=sata0-0-2,bootindex=1,write-cache=on \
-netdev tap,fd=39,id=hostnet0 \
-device e1000-82545em,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:52:1f:d2,bus=pci.1,addr=0x0 \
-chardev pty,id=charserial0 \
-device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 \
-chardev socket,id=charchannel0,fd=40,server,nowait \
-device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 \
-device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 \
-vnc 0.0.0.0:1,websocket=5701 \
-k en-us \
-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.3,addr=0x0 \
-usb \
-device usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0 \
-device '************************' \
-smbios type=2 \
-cpu Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2022-05-09 19:46:02.389+0000: Domain id=37 is tainted: high-privileges
2022-05-09 19:46:02.389+0000: Domain id=37 is tainted: custom-argv
2022-05-09 19:46:02.389+0000: Domain id=37 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/4 (label charserial0)

I've tried editing the XML in the gui to "re bork" it and then allowing the helper script to finish it.  Helper script says it's done its thing.  But VM won't even try to boot.

Really don't want to have to redo this whole thing if possible. 

Any help?

2022-05-09 14_48_38-Window.png

Edited by tiny-e
Posted (edited)

Hi Team,

I have been able to get BigSur up and running (with GPU passthrough) - was suprisingly easy with the instructions!

When I try and get Monetery installed (using VNC) can't get very far. I get stuck in boot loop and can't even get in to installer. After I select below, get loading with apple logo (for 1-2 seconds) and then it returns to below. Have tried different Machine types (ranging from 4.2 through to Q35 6.0) with no success. Given BigSur worked with no issues, assume it isn't hardware compatibiity issue.  Have tested changing the install Vdisk back to BigSur install img and it gets to install prompts with no issue but as soon as revert to Monterey install img, no luck. Have also tried remove macinabox, all app data and iso/domain folders with no success either.

Has anyone identified any naunces with installing Monterey? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as driving me crazy not knowing why can't get this version to work :(

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 10.15.59.png

Edited by Rutj87
Extra info
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Exlife said:

Сan show screen from 4 virtual machines on one monitor ?

This is not explained in details and what it has to do with macinabox :D

At the same time and each vm with its gpu?

Yes, as far as I know only if the monitor supports 'picture in picture' or some monitor split function and obviously has at least 4 video inputs.

With third party applications, like synergy (paid app), it's also possible to share mouse/keyboard in all the vms.

It will be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9u1vX-pvLs

however in that video he's connecting 4 different pcs, in this case you will connect 4 different gpus installed in one server, each passed through to a vm.

Or...if you run your primary vm with gpu passed through on the monitor and then you connect to the other 3 vms with some sort of remote desktop, then you can arrange the remote desktop windows as you want in the monitor.

So, specify what you want to achieve clearly, in a new discussion.

Edited by ghost82
12 hours ago, Rutj87 said:

After I select below, get loading with apple logo (for 1-2 seconds) and then it returns to below

As far as I know there should be no issue in booting monterey.

Can you share your diagnostics file? Possibly with both the big sur (working) and monterey (not working) vm configured.

1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

This is not explained in details and what it has to do with macinabox :D

At the same time and each vm with its gpu?

So, specify what you want to achieve clearly, in a new discussion.

All VM have gpu( i have 4 gpu).

I just need to watch what is happening on the VM.

I think  remote desktop will be just right for me. Whats remote desktop will be good for mac ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Exlife said:

Whats remote desktop will be good for mac ?

As a server or a client?

As a client to connect to windows, app store has microsoft remote desktop app (to connect to windows rdp).

As a server, just enable in system preferences -> sharing -> remote management and then use any vnc client to connect to the mac (standard port 5900).

Edited by ghost82
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ghost82 said:

It will be something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9u1vX-pvLs

I actually bought that monitor in Linus's video and I can say it absolutely great for displaying a Mac VM, Windows VM, unRAID GUI at the same time or in any combination.

It revolutionized my life with testing and setting up passthrough VMs. Before it was intolerable always switching inputs and hoping to catch the boot screens

Edited by Jagadguru
8 hours ago, ghost82 said:

There is no efi partition detected, who knows what happened or what you did.

If the issue is only the missing efi partition containing the bootloader, try to add a second vdisk in the vm pointing to a bootloader image and boot from it.

https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Macinabox/tree/master/custom_opencore

I didn't change / move anything... doesn't the 'main' image contain 2 volumes?   Also 'Mojave-opencore.img' exists in /mnt/user/isos...  Shouldn't that be it? 

Thanks for helping out !

4 minutes ago, tiny-e said:

doesn't the 'main' image contain 2 volumes?   Also 'Mojave-opencore.img' exists in /mnt/user/isos.

the main disk contains an apple efi partition by default, with apple bootloader which qemu is not able to boot, that's why we use alternative bootloaders opencore/clover.

Mojave-opencore.img is there, ok, but is it specified in the vm xml?

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ghost82 said:

As far as I know there should be no issue in booting monterey.

Can you share your diagnostics file? Possibly with both the big sur (working) and monterey (not working) vm configured.

Thanks @ghost82 - appreciate you taking a look!

Have attached diagnostic extracts with BigSur running fine and after trying unsuccessfully to get installer to start for Monterey. Have also attached the XML for Monterey in case there is something obvious that jumps out to you.

Any and all help is appreciated as hate my tech beating me!

XML - Monterey.rtf tower-diagnostics-20220511-0904 - Monterey Fail.zip tower-diagnostics-20220511-0855 - BigSur.zip

Edited by Rutj87
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ghost82 said:

As a server or a client?

As a client to connect to windows, app store has microsoft remote desktop app (to connect to windows rdp).

As a server, just enable in system preferences -> sharing -> remote management and then use any vnc client to connect to the mac (standard port 5900).

Server. i need to connect to mac from windows.

This(VNC) will work in my LAN(wifi) ? OR it use my internet traffic

Edited by Exlife
9 hours ago, Rutj87 said:

Any and all help is appreciated

I cannot see anything unusual in the monterey xml, it's strange that it bootloops.

Opencore img is ok, the vm boots into opencore.

Target disk should be ok, it's correctly defined in the xml.

Installation disk: we don't know if it's ok or not, may be corrupted?However it's correctly displayed in opencore as Base system.

Something wrong is happening after booting the base system, after some checks it should start to download the image installer, so maybe that for whatever reason virtio network is failing. Change the model type and also the bus and slot of the network card, so replace the network block with this:

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:3d:ae:25'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

52 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

I cannot see anything unusual in the monterey xml, it's strange that it bootloops.

Opencore img is ok, the vm boots into opencore.

Target disk should be ok, it's correctly defined in the xml.

Installation disk: we don't know if it's ok or not, may be corrupted?However it's correctly displayed in opencore as Base system.

Something wrong is happening after booting the base system, after some checks it should start to download the image installer, so maybe that for whatever reason virtio network is failing. Change the model type and also the bus and slot of the network card, so replace the network block with this:

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:3d:ae:25'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>

THanks @ghost82 - tried that and still no success. Bar starts to load and then reboots back to boot loader. PS - have deleted install image and re-download via macinabox several times and still problem persists.

Any other suggestions?

1 minute ago, Rutj87 said:

Any other suggestions?

I'm quite lost...next step I would perform is analyze logs of the bootloader.

To do this you need to mount the bootloader image, access config.plist file and enable logging to file.

Once it bootloops, force stop the vm, mount again the bootloader image and download the txt log file generated, and hopefully you could see where and why it bootloops.

If you are not able to do this, share with me in pm your zipped monterey opencore img file, I'll made all the needed changes, send it back to you, so you could replace the image.

I get the full download and erase the drive to format with Big Sur but I cannot install because the network is not found.  The network utility shows Virtio ethernet with a 169.. address. I have ran this container before but I now have a different motherboard. Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2, Version Default string
American Megatrends International, LLC., Version F14
BIOS dated: Mon 01 Nov 2021 12:00:00 AM PDT. 

On 5/11/2022 at 8:11 PM, ghost82 said:

I'm quite lost...next step I would perform is analyze logs of the bootloader.

To do this you need to mount the bootloader image, access config.plist file and enable logging to file.

Once it bootloops, force stop the vm, mount again the bootloader image and download the txt log file generated, and hopefully you could see where and why it bootloops.

If you are not able to do this, share with me in pm your zipped monterey opencore img file, I'll made all the needed changes, send it back to you, so you could replace the image.

Thanks @ghost82 for troubleshooting with me. XML and all VDisks are correct but still not working.

Anybody got any suggestions??

On 1/16/2022 at 6:03 PM, macmus said:

is there a way to change resolution of a display when not using passthrough card?

I'm able only to set 2560x1600 which is too big for my macbook air :(

anyone know how to do this (I don't have an external GPU)? I used opencore configuration -> Tools -> Mount EFI -> Mount Partition / Open Partition -> navigate to "EFI/OC/config.plist" and opened in BBEdit. Below is what I get. I'm looking for a way to be able to switch resolutions dynamically within the system settings (i.e. from 1920x1080 to 2048x1536 based on when i'm remoting in from my ipad vs. my desktop PC).

<key>Output</key>
        <dict>
            <key>ClearScreenOnModeSwitch</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ConsoleMode</key>
            <string></string>
            <key>DirectGopRendering</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ForceResolution</key>
            <false/>
            <key>IgnoreTextInGraphics</key>
            <false/>