[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

1 minute ago, ghost82 said:

I think one modification to macinabox should be very helpful to diagnose issues when users start to passthrough things: @SpaceInvaderOne why not copying the debug version of opencore and also the debug versions of all the main kexts (lilu/whatevergreen/etc.) instead of the release versions? In this case, only by changing the "Target" value and adding some more boot-args in the config.plist the user can get a txt log to upload with useful info!

I'm still using debug versions for all (from more than 1 year) and drop in performance at boot is not noticeable at all!

Very, very good point!

7 minutes ago, derpuma said:

1) Question, you do have a monitor which has build in speakers and is able to play audio?
Just as a reminder, this is only HDMI Sound you get there... Onboards sound is another different passthrougt.

Simply add another soundcard (f.ex. the onboard sound) under the sound part of the GPU.

2) What do you mean with adding Vbios into docker settings? Do you mean the path you choose on your share in your XML?
Do not put it into a smb share, as it could take a while until the share is mounted. Simply put the rom file into /mnt/isos to get it onload.

If it crahes, are you sure you are using a proper Vbios? Did you selfextract it via GPU-Z from a running baremetal windows or downloaded it? Remember downloaded bios from techpowerup need a cleanup with a hexeditor.

If your VM crashes, sometimes it is normal, that you need to reactivate the VM Manager after next boot up. Do not worry about that.
Make sure that you have a backup while you still try to get al things working.

It’s audio from the rx580 that i’m trying to pass through. i’m trying to play via remote desktop. but no luck. I have a dummy hdmi plug to pretend that it’s working.

The unraid crash is replicable. Once i add the vbios (in xml), it crashes. i forgot how i got the vbios, but it used to work with the previous macinabox with clover / catalina.

17 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

It’s audio from the rx580 that i’m trying to pass through. i’m trying to play via remote desktop. but no luck. I have a dummy hdmi plug to pretend that it’s working.

Can you clarify please?

I understood that you have a rx580 in your mac os vm

You have a monitor attached to hdmi?Where is the hdmi dummy plug?And where are the remote desktop server/client?

Remote desktop (the real one, microsoft) is able to pass the audio, but Mac os doesn't support remote desktop server..

Just tried now, for example, with the screen sharing option activated on the vm and the screen sharing client on another real mac: audio is not passed. As far as I know vnc doesn't support audio (with screen sharing on mac os server), but I may be wrong.

Audio is not yet supported by VNC Server running on MacOS, during Instant Support sessions, or when using VNC Viewer for Android and iOS. 

Edited by ghost82

Audio via remote desktop? Thought your goal was the passthrough... Try to get it right first without using any remote access software.
If this works and go the next step and setup the remote desktop software.
To be honest, I never tried to get audio through remote desktop...

16 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Can you clarify please?

I understood that you have a rx580 in your mac os vm

You have a monitor attached to hdmi?Where is the hdmi dummy plug?And where are the remote desktop server/client?

Remote desktop (the real one, microsoft) is able to pass the audio, but Mac os doesn't support remote desktop server..

Just tried now, for example, with the screen sharing option activated on the vm and the screen sharing client on another real mac: audio is not passed. As far as I know vnc doesn't support audio (with screen sharing on mac os server), but I may be wrong.

Yes, i have a rx580, which i pass through. Video works as long as i don’t include the vbios. Audio doesn’t work.

I don’t have a screen attached. I use realvnc to access my mac vm. it’s a lot better with the gpu passthrough as it uses hw acceleration. without the gpu passtroifh, it’s barely usable.

also, i can use “screen sharing” (mac native) to access the mac vm from a macbook. Also, no sound though.

Just now, steve1977 said:

also, i can use “screen sharing” (mac native) to access the mac vm from a macbook. Also, no sound though.

That is expected, I'm afraid, VNC doesn't pass the audio! Note that also the built in "screen sharing" is using VNC.

I think I remember that nomachine supports audio, but you need to check it out.

9 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

I’m using realvnc, not vnc. so, presumably it should work. Also, “screen sharing” is a native apple protocol, which should be different from vnc from what i understand.

Nope, realvnc uses VNC protocol, realvnc is a client/server (it's an application), VNC is a protocol.

Screen sharing uses VNC protocol.

Edited by ghost82

May I ask a simple question please? Every time I start the VM (Catalina) I have to choose within a menu to start the proper partition (UEFI Boot Menu?) I can choose between the Catalina Partition, Recovery,UEFI Shell,Shutdown and RESET NVRAM. Is there any possibility to get rid of this that the vm ist stating without interacting. Otherwise I cannot use anything else than the built im VNC....

Thank you for your help

30 minutes ago, DrMucki said:

May I ask a simple question please? Every time I start the VM (Catalina) I have to choose within a menu to start the proper partition (UEFI Boot Menu?) I can choose between the Catalina Partition, Recovery,UEFI Shell,Shutdown and RESET NVRAM. Is there any possibility to get rid of this that the vm ist stating without interacting. Otherwise I cannot use anything else than the built im VNC....

Thank you for your help

You should be able to automatically boot into your boot volume without any interaction..the bootpicker will wait for x seconds before booting, where x is specified in the config.plist in the "Timeout" key.

Timeout for opencanopy was added in oc version 0.5.8.

You can also boot without showing the bootpicker:

• Like 1

any reason why virtmanager won't connect to my server? I keep getting port 22 connection refused....

yes I have a pw on the server

also, can anyone else confirm that removing a video card and going back to vnc makes the vm hang on "Guest has not initialized the display (yet). ???

Edited by 1812

Still getting permission denied when trying to download Big Sure option 2

Have you tried the x11vnc '-ncache' VNC client-side pixel caching feature yet?

The scheme stores pixel data offscreen on the VNC viewer side for faster
retrieval. It should work with any VNC viewer. Try it by running:

x11vnc -ncache 10 ...

One can also add -ncache_cr for smooth 'copyrect' window motion.
More info: http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/faq.html#faq-client-caching

[services.d] starting app...
[app] starting Macinabox with VirtManager...
[services.d] done.
2021-01-04 21:57:28,429 Network Request: Fetching https://swscan.apple.com/content/catalogs/others/index-10.16-10.15-10.14-10.13-10.12-10.11-10.10-10.9-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog
2021-01-04 21:57:29,348 Selected macOS Product: 001-86606
/Macinabox/unraid.sh: line 273: /Macinabox/tools/FetchMacOS/BaseSystem/SharedSupport.dmg: Permission denied

Can anyone recommend a USB card that's still readily available that will work in pass through for MacOS?

That's really the only thing I want to pass through at the moment as this VM otherwise runs headless. Hot-plug USB support and the ability to keep hold of USB-connected devices all the time are high priority for me.

Running on a Supermicro server mainboard, which I recall may have some issues with certain chipsets.

Edited by Espressomatic

I am trying to passthrough a Radeon R7 370 GPU (2GB) (Vendor ID 1002:6811) to a MAC OS Catalina created VM with Macinabox.

The VM was created successfully and runs fine with standard options (2 Cores, 4 GB). I installed Teamviewer to get to the machine from elsewhere. With just VNC installed as graphics everything works.

BUT: When trying to passthrough the GPU,  the VM is not booting up correctly. Teamviewer is not coming up.  Of cause i used the script Helper and used a freshly dumped VBIOS for the card. (by the way a windows VM works fine with the VBIOS).

When changing back to VNC it ends up with "Guest has not initialized Display (yet)"  To get rid of this you have to edit the XML manually and not starting the Script afterwards: You have to change the XML in this part:

</graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>     CHANGED to  bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' 
    </video>
but you must not run the Helper script afterwards. Then we have normal state again...

This seems to be a Bug ... it always happens if you once trying to change the graphics.

But the main thing is that i am not able to passthrough the AMD GPU! I attached 2 log files (one when using vnc graphics, one using the GPU passthrough) For the last one i also attached the XML.

Ending up with a few questions:

1: Is there a possibility to get this working with my AMD GPU?

2. Will there be fix for the helper Script thta chages the bus to a different value (did somebody reported that as a bug?)

3. If nothing works is there a suggestion for a 4 GB GPU which works with macinabox and windows without any problems?

Thank you very much for your advices in advance

Marc

logVNC.txt logGPU.txt GPU.xml

1 hour ago, Espressomatic said:

a USB card that's still readily available that will work in pass through for MacOS?

My suggestion is Inateck KT4004 (4 usb 3.0 ports on the back), or Inateck KT4006 (2 usb 3.0 ports on the back + 2 usb 3.0 ports to be connected with the 19 pin cable connector (cable not included)), I have the latter.

In general any card with Fresco chipset (FL1100).

I read now you have a supermicro: even if these cards will work out of the box you may have issues to make them work with supermicro, in particular in resetting the card.

Edited by ghost82
20 minutes ago, DrMucki said:

1: Is there a possibility to get this working with my AMD GPU?

There should be, but not so easy.

As described by dortania you should spoof the id of your R7 370: R7 370 is listed as compatible with latest mac os but needs fakeid and maybe the -raddvi boot arg.

https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#r7-r9

Basically, you need to get the acpi address of your gpu, modify the source code of ssdt (.dsl file) template available at dortania, compile with maciasl, or iasl or anything else able to compile dsl files (--> .aml file) and inject this compiled ssdt with opencore.

https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Universal/spoof.html

54 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

There should be, but not so easy.

As described by dortania you should spoof the id of your R7 370: R7 370 is listed as compatible with latest mac os but needs fakeid and maybe the -raddvi boot arg.

https://dortania.github.io/GPU-Buyers-Guide/modern-gpus/amd-gpu.html#r7-r9

Basically, you need to get the acpi address of your gpu, modify the source code of ssdt (.dsl file) template available at dortania, compile with maciasl, or iasl or anything else able to compile dsl files (--> .aml file) and inject this compiled ssdt with opencore.

https://dortania.github.io/Getting-Started-With-ACPI/Universal/spoof.html

Thank you very much ! i only saw the first link you provided but the second one was the so called "missing link"

3 hours ago, Espressomatic said:

Can anyone recommend a USB card that's still readily available that will work in pass through for MacOS?

That's really the only thing I want to pass through at the moment as this VM otherwise runs headless. Hot-plug USB support and the ability to keep hold of USB-connected devices all the time are high priority for me.

Running on a Supermicro server mainboard, which I recall may have some issues with certain chipsets.

I'm using this one with no apparent problem : "nateck Carte Contrôleur USB 3.0 2 Ports PCI Express pour Win XP/7/8/10 Auto alimentée,KT4006"

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00JEVLEFQ/

Edited by bjornatic
url

Alright, got everything working finally! Opencore configurator helped a lot to get the autoboot set up & Big Sur is working almost perfectly. I ran the script to change the network adapter to the e1000 variant to enable Apple services and network settings still shows the VMXnet3 as the ethernet connector. XML lists the correct e1000 variant, any input?

• Like 1