[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

Sorry about what? I mean in the Bios  of my mainboard ,  I did not find any option to change between UEFI and legacy there in the bios. I think it is UEFI.

Unraid is defintely in UEFI mode (checked it within the syslinux config).... just checked my Windows VM with it, still works fine with passthrough. May be we can find out there anything?? I also got the radeon software installed, may be we get some needful information there??

Would a dummy HDMI Plug help here?

I was just wondering, because my windows VM was not accepting resolutions higher than 1600x1200

Edited by DrMucki
33 minutes ago, DrMucki said:

I did not find any option to change between UEFI and legacy there in the bios. I think it is UEFI.

asus calls it csm.

I have an asus too, if csm is set to both "legacy and uefi" my operating systems boot as legacy.

Edited by ghost82

Hi there, first a big thanks for all the hard work and a very happy new year to you all.

I try (really hard) to install miab with Big Sur, no luck - after what feels like 20 erases, everything set up from scratch, method 1, method 2, the files are right (there is big sur in both filenames) but the Installation is Catalina - every time.

Is that a known mistake ?

Thanks in advance

Hello to all,
I need your help I followed the spaceinvader one tutorial to install big sur.

I have a big problem with this installation mac os doesn't recognize my cpu an i7 9700k, I replaced my info platform by an iMac19.1 but for nothing I think that's why I can't install docker on macos.

thank you very much !

Edited by romainromss
On 12/9/2020 at 4:47 PM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Im thats very strange. You can also find a copy of the scripts in the macinabox appdata in the the subfolder macinabox. (  /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox

You can copy and paste into the userscripts manually.

I have the same problem of not getting the scripts. However even when listing the scripts I only found those.

delete.ds_store/  delete_dangling_images/  viewDockerLogSize/

Listing /mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox I only found macinabox_Big\ Sur.log

I am sure the user scripts is installed and I tried to uninstall and reinstall macinabox.

I am running 6.9.0-rc2

Thanks for advance.

Love the app, have used it several times, with good luck.  Just tried to install Big Sur and it pulled down Catalina.  When I look at the .img files it says Bigsur-install.img, but inside the folder is Install macOS Catalina.

No big deal on my part but wanted to bring it to your attention, and see if I am doing something incorrectly.

Thanks.

As reported by others, no scripts are created, neither in the scripts-folder "/boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/", neither in the appdata folder of MacInABox.

Output of my terminal window:

root@srv-master:~# ls /boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/
delete.ds_store/  delete_dangling_images/  viewDockerLogSize/

The docker has been running for 20 minutes now, no scripts created. I suspect download of the ISO is not ongoing, as CPU load is 0%.

Please advise.

On 1/4/2021 at 7:12 AM, derpuma said:

Actually selling Hardware, esp. GPUs is as easy as I never saw it before. And you get really good money also for older GPUs.
If you'd like to get help, we need additional information from you.
What hardware, how have you configured your VM Manager, how is your XML setup, do you useVFIO Plugin, which is your Unraid Version...

Generally you should not have a problem, to get a RX570 over the finish line, but you might run in the famous reset-bug and will need the vendor-reset patch to get rid of it.
But first things first, try to setup the GPU full functional first. 

3900x, Asus tuf 570 wifi, rx570 lite, etc. I configured my VM exactly how Space Invader does it in the videos. XML is exactly how space invader recommends. I don't use VFIP Plugin. Unraid version 6.8.3.  How do I set up my GPU in unraid? I picked unraid because it's supposed to be one of the most user-friendly raid software's and now I'm finding that far from the truth. I'm running into issues all over the place.   

3 hours ago, NuWanDa said:

As reported by others, no scripts are created, neither in the scripts-folder "/boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/", neither in the appdata folder of MacInABox.

Output of my terminal window:

root@srv-master:~# ls /boot/config/plugins/user.scripts/scripts/
delete.ds_store/  delete_dangling_images/  viewDockerLogSize/

The docker has been running for 20 minutes now, no scripts created. I suspect download of the ISO is not ongoing, as CPU load is 0%.

Please advise.

Hi NuWanDa,

I had the same problem.

To solve it, stop the docker, remove it, remove the docker template by clicking add template, then choose the MacInABox Template and hit the minus button.

After that use a file manager like Krusader and delete the MacInABox folder in Appdata. (This is the important step that the scripts will get installed, later)

For good measure, also delete the iso-files of the MacOSX version in the iso folder.

After that, reinstall the MacInABox-Docker.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

MH

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ChromeFocus said:

I picked unraid because it's supposed to be one of the most user-friendly raid software's and now I'm finding that far from the truth

I hope you are joking...not to be polemical, but Unraid is not raid, and it's one of the most user friendly os for managing virtual machines I tried: what you are comparing it to? Try to build and manage a qemu virtual machine in any linux distro, one of your choice, and I think you will change your opinion.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ChromeFocus said:

3900x, Asus tuf 570 wifi, rx570 lite, etc. I configured my VM exactly how Space Invader does it in the videos. XML is exactly how space invader recommends. I don't use VFIP Plugin. Unraid version 6.8.3.  How do I set up my GPU in unraid? I picked unraid because it's supposed to be one of the most user-friendly raid software's and now I'm finding that far from the truth. I'm running into issues all over the place.   

If you have problems I suggest you open a thread in the general support area of the board, giving details and including your diagnostics zip file. That will give people something to work with in order to help you. A general moan, like this, serves no useful purpose.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ChromeFocus said:

Hardware wise you are good to go. With 6.8.3 and your X570 board you should have a closer look at you IOMMU groups and if the GPU and gpu sound is separated in its own group. You may play with VM Manager and pcie override settings, as you need to set up you gpu as a multifunctional device. Please make a new thread as suggested above and show at least your XML you are using to boot into mac OS. You said you followed spaceinvaderone installation video, so i guess your mac OS is running at least in VNC mode?

12 hours ago, MatzeHali said:

Hi NuWanDa,

I had the same problem.

To solve it, stop the docker, remove it, remove the docker template by clicking add template, then choose the MacInABox Template and hit the minus button.

After that use a file manager like Krusader and delete the MacInABox folder in Appdata. (This is the important step that the scripts will get installed, later)

For good measure, also delete the iso-files of the MacOSX version in the iso folder.

After that, reinstall the MacInABox-Docker.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

MH

I *WAS* having the same issue as multiple users. I nuked the previous install as detailed in Ed's excellent video tutorial and then followed the video again to install, this time opting for Catalina rather than BigSur to see if that made any difference.

Am on 6.8.3, made sure that CA User Scripts was installed and also VM_Custom_Icons before installing Macinabox. I think part of the issue may have been impatience! as when I went to get a screengrab of the "missing" scripts, lo! and behold! they were there...

Cue acute embarrassment on my part but felt it important enough to let folks know that they need to be patient to see if the scripts materialise before giving up.

If all else fails, install Catalina first, then consider re-running to download Big Sur in a *second* VM.

Thanks Ed, all this so I can jailbreak my ipad!

12 hours ago, DrBazUK said:

I *WAS* having the same issue as multiple users. I nuked the previous install as detailed in Ed's excellent video tutorial and then followed the video again to install, this time opting for Catalina rather than BigSur to see if that made any difference.

Am on 6.8.3, made sure that CA User Scripts was installed and also VM_Custom_Icons before installing Macinabox. I think part of the issue may have been impatience! as when I went to get a screengrab of the "missing" scripts, lo! and behold! they were there...

Cue acute embarrassment on my part but felt it important enough to let folks know that they need to be patient to see if the scripts materialise before giving up.

If all else fails, install Catalina first, then consider re-running to download Big Sur in a *second* VM.

Thanks Ed, all this so I can jailbreak my ipad!

Well, I rebooted my server and it worked. Perhaps if I waited a little longer the script may have been shown. I didn't choose Catalina, I chose BigSur.

I am not sure if the reboot will affect the download process.

I ran the notify script and waiting.

Script location: /tmp/user.scripts/tmpScripts/1_macinabox_helper/script
Note that closing this window will abort the execution of this script
Starting to Fix XML
error: failed to get domain 'put the name of the vm here'
No network adapters in xml to change. Network adapter is already vmxnet3

Added custom qemu:args for macOS
topolgy line left as is
custom ovmf added
error: Failed to define domain from /tmp/put the name of the vm herefixed.xml
error: (domain_definition):3: Extra content at the end of the document

^

This is what has been done to the xml

Your network type was already correct. Network has not been changed.
The custom qemu:args have been added to you xml.
VM is set to use custom ovmf files.
xml is now fixed. Now goto your vm tab and run the VM
Rerun this script if you make any other changes to the macOS VM using the Unraid VM manger

I am using 6.9.0-rc2 and my mother board is Asus tuf gaming pro wifi which has the adapter Intel I225-V. When I run the script I get the message above and then I can't find the VM in the VM tab.

5 hours ago, Abdo said:

I am using 6.9.0-rc2 and my mother board is Asus tuf gaming pro wifi which has the adapter Intel I225-V. When I run the script I get the message above and then I can't find the VM in the VM tab.

I am sorry. I should have put the name in the script.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:57 AM, ghost82 said:

I hope you are joking...not to be polemical, but Unraid is not raid, and it's one of the most user friendly os for managing virtual machines I tried: what you are comparing it to? Try to build and manage a qemu virtual machine in any linux distro, one of your choice, and I think you will change your opinion.

When I try to follow the guides directly I always have a problem some where. It's never user friendly enough for my liking. I wish there was more information on certain things I'm trying to accomplish. But that's just my own stupidity. I'm not comparing it to anything. I'm just too dumb to figure things out when they fail. 

On 1/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, John_M said:

If you have problems I suggest you open a thread in the general support area of the board, giving details and including your diagnostics zip file. That will give people something to work with in order to help you. A general moan, like this, serves no useful purpose.

Explaining exactly what the problem is should be enough in my opinion but you're right. My GPU isn't being recognized. It bothers me. I apologize. I get so frustrated trying to figure these things out. 

On 1/12/2021 at 3:44 PM, derpuma said:

Hardware wise you are good to go. With 6.8.3 and your X570 board you should have a closer look at you IOMMU groups and if the GPU and gpu sound is separated in its own group. You may play with VM Manager and pcie override settings, as you need to set up you gpu as a multifunctional device. Please make a new thread as suggested above and show at least your XML you are using to boot into mac OS. You said you followed spaceinvaderone installation video, so i guess your mac OS is running at least in VNC mode?

What are IOMMU groups? How do I access PCIE override settings in VM Manager? My GPU has no other function that I know of yet. Yes my VM works only in VNC mode. When ever I add the graphics card the VM won't function at all. I'm tired of doing all the steps of setting up the VM. So I'm looking for information to end my madness. It's incredibly frustrating and is turning me off to this whole thing.  

Thank you very much for this great guide. I had some problems, but things are now allright.

However, sine I already has a big sur installation on an external drive, I want to use it instead of cloning it to the virutal drive.

However the open core configuration doesn't seem to show the drive even when I passed through the usb controller (usb pci-e card). The passthrough is working since I connected the keyboard to the usb pci-e card and it's working in open core. Also when I entered the setup of the unraid bios I found the external device.

I even removed all the drivers from the VM and booted OC from the EFI partition of the external drive. (I copied the EFI iso into the partition)

So I guess the config file of OC just doesn't allow the USB drive boot.

Can you please tell me what I need to change in the config file or EFI folder to make it work?

Thank you for advance.

10 hours ago, ChromeFocus said:

When I try to follow the guides directly I always have a problem some where. It's never user friendly enough for my liking. I wish there was more information on certain things I'm trying to accomplish. But that's just my own stupidity. I'm not comparing it to anything. I'm just too dumb to figure things out when they fail. 

Explaining exactly what the problem is should be enough in my opinion but you're right. My GPU isn't being recognized. It bothers me. I apologize. I get so frustrated trying to figure these things out. 

What are IOMMU groups? How do I access PCIE override settings in VM Manager? My GPU has no other function that I know of yet. Yes my VM works only in VNC mode. When ever I add the graphics card the VM won't function at all. I'm tired of doing all the steps of setting up the VM. So I'm looking for information to end my madness. It's incredibly frustrating and is turning me off to this whole thing.  

Okay, no problem that you are a beginner. Everybody started from zero. So a short round up. Virtualisation and especially Hardware passthrough needs equivalent hardware which you have. Your mainboard groups your hardware, in your case your gpu in several groups, called IOMMU groups. If you GPU is grouped with other hardware passthrough will not be possible. To get your gpu separated, you can use the Virtual Manager in Unraid and setup to split your hardware. The settings there are done at the pcie override tab which gives you several options you should try and see what setting will give you the best result in case of separating. Separation is the basic point to achieve gpu passthrough. If this is not setup correctly, it will not work.

If done right and you setup you gpu as a multifunctional device, all should work just fine. I am not 100% sure about your gpu model, as you said you have an rx570 lite. I know for sure a regular rx570 works nativly under macOS, not so sure about the lite, but I guess it should. I revommend you to read the Unraid Virtualisation Wiki step by step and follow the guides to prepare your Unraid setting. The try to finalize your macOS VM.

https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/VM_Management

My advise, dont give up too early.It looks more complicated then it is and when you are fine with the settings you wonder how logical and easy a setup is, compared to a linux kvm installation via console. 

10 hours ago, Abdo said:

Thank you very much for this great guide. I had some problems, but things are now allright.

However, sine I already has a big sur installation on an external drive, I want to use it instead of cloning it to the virutal drive.

However the open core configuration doesn't seem to show the drive even when I passed through the usb controller (usb pci-e card). The passthrough is working since I connected the keyboard to the usb pci-e card and it's working in open core. Also when I entered the setup of the unraid bios I found the external device.

I even removed all the drivers from the VM and booted OC from the EFI partition of the external drive. (I copied the EFI iso into the partition)

So I guess the config file of OC just doesn't allow the USB drive boot.

Can you please tell me what I need to change in the config file or EFI folder to make it work?

Thank you for advance.

setting scanpolicy to 0 fixed the problem.

Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm missing, after I pulled down the macinabox container the download started and finished fine, but after running the user scripts there is no vm listed under the vm tab. I have run the macinabox helper script multiple times but to luck

I also can't seem to open the virt manager by selecting webUI on the docker tab, here I get error 1006

I don't have my vm's in the standard location, not sur eif this will affect the outcome?

Cheers,

First of all, thank you so much for an amazing application, and also all your vidoes, they have been extremely helpful throughout the years.

I followed your latest video, "How to Install Big Sur and Other macOS Versions with New Macinabox". When everything was downloaded and ready, I started the VM and was about to install big sur.

For some reason the downloaded version was actually Catalina. I have no idea how or why. I checked the docker, and it is set to "big sur". Also the name of the directory in "/mnt/user/domains/" is called "Macinabox\ BigSur" and the isos in the "/mnt/user/isos" are named "BigSur-install.img" and "BigSur-opencore.img".

The log in the docker says the following version was selected "Selected macOS Product: 061-86291".

At first I thought it might have been a corrupted iso, so I deleted everything, including docker, iso, domains, etc. But I had the same issue again.

Let me know if you need any further logs or info.