[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

2 hours ago, zyke said:

For some reason the downloaded version was actually Catalina.

This has been mentioned several times already on previous pages. It's clearly a look-up/indexing error causing the wrong macOS product to be selected. An earlier release didn't suffer from this particular issue. If it's any consolation, Big Sur is still very buggy so Catalina might be a better choice for now anyway.

22 minutes ago, John_M said:

This has been mentioned several times already on previous pages. It's clearly a look-up/indexing error causing the wrong macOS product to be selected. An earlier release didn't suffer from this particular issue. If it's any consolation, Big Sur is still very buggy so Catalina might be a better choice for now anyway.

Thanks for letting me know. I did search for it, just not on the forum itself, did not find anything indexed. I'll keep running Catalina for a while. :)

11 hours ago, John_M said:

If it's any consolation, Big Sur is still very buggy so Catalina might be a better choice for now anyway.

I cannot second that. I run Big Sur on my Bare Metal Ryzen 5600X, and it's rock solid.

A virtual machine, once configured correctly, shouldn't be worse.

However, all the reports here of the issues with the new MacInABox version have convinced me I rather wait with my VM installation until that has settled.

5 hours ago, kana said:

I cannot second that. I run Big Sur on my Bare Metal Ryzen 5600X, and it's rock solid.

A virtual machine, once configured correctly, shouldn't be worse.

That's anecdotal. It depends what you do with it. There are real issues with running Big Sur on real Apple hardware that have been confirmed. Some were fixed in the update from 11.0 to 11.1. Others remain and will no doubt be fixed in later updates.

1 hour ago, RenatoEurope said:

Does MacInabox work with unraid 6.9? I had it running  on 6.8.3 but in 6.9 Unraid's built int VNC does not work and if I use VNC viewer, I can see the VM frozen at the apple logo.

both work, unraid buildin vnc and this docker is working on current rc release. if you have issues with your unraid vnc may open something in bug reports so you get help therefore. if you stuck in apple logo may try again from scratch by wiping all (also appdata) and follow the video, works nice besides the download issue for the wrong image (catalina, big sur)

5 hours ago, alturismo said:

both work, unraid buildin vnc and this docker is working on current rc release. if you have issues with your unraid vnc may open something in bug reports so you get help therefore. if you stuck in apple logo may try again from scratch by wiping all (also appdata) and follow the video, works nice besides the download issue for the wrong image (catalina, big sur)

Ok,  I  re run the macinabox setup following the instructions without any deviation and it worked, which means I was inducing those errors by giving the macinabox produced VM a different name from the default. That begs two questions:

• Is it possible to use macinabox to produce multiple MacOS VMs?
  • Is the mechanism to be used for installing multiple VMs using macinabox described anywhere?  I thought I gad a good guess on how to do it but my method was obviously wrong.

Second question,  in the video, spaceinvader was able to just pass through the gpu and it was automatically recognized. I believe he was using an RX 480. I am using a Vega 64 (it is the secondary card, so no ROM should be needed)  and as soon as I associate it and start the VM,  the VM breaks so badly that even returning to VNC does not make it start anymore.  With the Vega64 passed through, upon start,  I can see an Apple logo and the system is stuck there. The only thing I see is the apple logo is very big, which means the resolution chosen is very low.

Is anybody aware of anything that needs to be done to a macinabox created VM in order to accomodate a Vega 64?

Thank you in advance for helping.

The problem is, that when you switch back from gpu to VNC add using the Macinabox helper script, the bus from the vnc is not

set correctly.

To fix it do the following:

After switching back from Gpu to VNC and running the helper script, go to your vm setting of your vm and Open the XML view (right corner there is a switch Form view).

scroll nearly to the end.

You have to change the XML in this part:

</graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/> 

for me worked   

CHANGED to  bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' 
    </video>
but you must not run the Helper script afterwards.

I am having trouble to pass through a nvidia 1050ti to High Sierra VM with Macinabox. I am following the latest Spaceinvader's video "How to Install Big Sur and Other macOS Versions with New Macinabox". But I have watched all 3 of Spaceinvader's macinabox video and advanced gpu passthrough video as well.

First, I should note that the VM works fine in VNC. Splashtop remote works fine in VNC as well. At this point, I saved a copy of this xml as a backup for whenever something goes wrong in the next few steps.

Second, I was able to add the nvidia gpu to the xml. I know how to put the grpahics and gpu sound on the same slot as a multifunction device. I was also able to install the NVidia webdriver, both using the method in Terminal command, and the manual method of download and install.  I can reboot at this poing and Splshtop still works fine as long as the installed nvidia webdriver shows that the device is using "Default MacOS Graphic Driver".

Third, I opened the config.plist on my MacOS vdisk: EFI - > OC -> config.plist. I then changed the following:

- added "nvda_drv=1" in the boot-args. 

- added "-v" so that I can see what's going on during boot.

It would look like the picture below. 

1.PNG.50c33145712f20f9caf74fa6e484f1a7.PNG

I saved the changes in config.plist and then changed the "Default MacOS Graphic Driver" to "NVIDIA Web Driver". It prompts me to reboot.

This is where I have problem. This reboot will fail.

Without the "-v", it stops at white apple logo.

with the "-v" in config.plist, I can see the screen freeze at the following lines:

AppleLPC::notifyPlatformASPM ASPM callback registered

IOConsoleUsers: time(0)0->0, lin 0, llk 1,

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, sm 0x0

At this point, my fix is to use the backup xml in step 1 to boot into MacOS using VNC. Booting into MacOS allows me to revert any changes I made in Step 3, or start from a new "EFI" folder by copying from the EFI folder in "HighSierra-opencore.img"

Question:

What should I do after step 2 (i.e after I have added the GPU to the xml and booted with Nvidia GPU) to make webdriver working?

I saw Spaceinvader's video "Complete Guide to Installing MacOS Mojave or High Sierra on Unraid as a VM". There he

1. added "nvda_drv=1" in the clover config.plist

2. checked the box "NvidiaWeb"

But these two steps only works for Clover. What are the counterpart of these two changes in OpenCore?

7 hours ago, Hedout said:

I am having trouble to pass through a nvidia 1050ti to High Sierra VM with Macinabox. I am following the latest Spaceinvader's video "How to Install Big Sur and Other macOS Versions with New Macinabox". But I have watched all 3 of Spaceinvader's macinabox video and advanced gpu passthrough video as well.

First, I should note that the VM works fine in VNC. Splashtop remote works fine in VNC as well. At this point, I saved a copy of this xml as a backup for whenever something goes wrong in the next few steps.

Second, I was able to add the nvidia gpu to the xml. I know how to put the grpahics and gpu sound on the same slot as a multifunction device. I was also able to install the NVidia webdriver, both using the method in Terminal command, and the manual method of download and install.  I can reboot at this poing and Splshtop still works fine as long as the installed nvidia webdriver shows that the device is using "Default MacOS Graphic Driver".

Third, I opened the config.plist on my MacOS vdisk: EFI - > OC -> config.plist. I then changed the following:

- added "nvda_drv=1" in the boot-args. 

- added "-v" so that I can see what's going on during boot.

It would look like the picture below. 

1.PNG.50c33145712f20f9caf74fa6e484f1a7.PNG

I saved the changes in config.plist and then changed the "Default MacOS Graphic Driver" to "NVIDIA Web Driver". It prompts me to reboot.

This is where I have problem. This reboot will fail.

Without the "-v", it stops at white apple logo.

with the "-v" in config.plist, I can see the screen freeze at the following lines:

AppleLPC::notifyPlatformASPM ASPM callback registered

IOConsoleUsers: time(0)0->0, lin 0, llk 1,

IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, sm 0x0

At this point, my fix is to use the backup xml in step 1 to boot into MacOS using VNC. Booting into MacOS allows me to revert any changes I made in Step 3, or start from a new "EFI" folder by copying from the EFI folder in "HighSierra-opencore.img"

Question:

What should I do after step 2 (i.e after I have added the GPU to the xml and booted with Nvidia GPU) to make webdriver working?

I saw Spaceinvader's video "Complete Guide to Installing MacOS Mojave or High Sierra on Unraid as a VM". There he

1. added "nvda_drv=1" in the clover config.plist

2. checked the box "NvidiaWeb"

But these two steps only works for Clover. What are the counterpart of these two changes in OpenCore?

I have not tried to pass an Nvidia GPU to a VM  but I had a hackintosh with an Nvidia 970. After you pass it through to the VM, enable Lilu and Whatevergreen on your opencore kext list and, from a OSX terminal you run the update.sh script you get from here: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update.

it normally did the trick for me. it will download the web driers and do all the black magic required.

On 1/18/2021 at 2:30 AM, DrMucki said:

Hi maybe I can help you with returning to VNC.. does the VNC say that guest display is not initialized....? But I also having trouble enabling my amd gpu...

Hello, I can report success with the MSI Vega64. What I did was to go to the Clover configurator, and on the Lernel section enable lilu.kext, WhateverGreen, AppleAcl, AGPMinjector nd USBPorts.

Moreover, in the helper script, I set REMOVETOPOLOGY=“yes”.

Bingo, my Vega 64 is up and running. As I was able to pass through an USB controller, I found out an old bluetooth USB dongle is actually recognized, so I am using my Magic Mouse at the moment.

Edited by RenatoEurope
updated info
On 1/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, derpuma said:

Sorry for that missleading link. I thought we are talking about, as @alturismo did the voodooHDA install on High Sierra!

Try to setup you card as here in this example:

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0c' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/YOURROMFILENAME.rom'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0c' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Red should be your GPU Device, yellow the name of your rom file (at the correct location) and green should be a bus which does not conflict with other pci devices you use.

Before you go for the multifunction solution, you should watch if your GPU is separated in a single IOMMU Group. If it is not, then you can use the VM Manager functions "PCIe ACS override: multifunction or both" to get it separated as much as possible.

Which Board do you use? Which Verison of Unraid?

I just want to say thank you for posting this information.  Setting my Gigabyte RX480 video and audio to the same bus resolved the issue where the sound device was missing in my Mac VM's.  

• Like 1

Would anyone know why I can not pass my internet connection through to the mac VMs? I have tried all the diffrent OS installs, and I can not get past the reinstall macOS because it does not propperly pass through nic.

Thoughts? or am I missing somthing obvious?

On 12/12/2020 at 12:14 PM, pm1961 said:

I'm in a working Mac.... Yay! Thanks Ed

Following up with the VirtManager example, I get the following screen thrown up.......

Any ideas gratefully received thanks...........

virtman.JPG.f5306f41f0e1cf46c0803295819d7c62.JPG

Install Nerdtools and install Netcat and nc ... Not sure you need both but nc alone didnt work and someone else said Netcat alone didnt work for him but both worked for me to fix that issue... Now off to wipe and start again as not sure how much testing was done installing two versions of VM. I got Catalina working fine but BigSur afterwards threw error

"operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

On 1/18/2021 at 9:08 AM, RenatoEurope said:

Ok,  I  re run the macinabox setup following the instructions without any deviation and it worked, which means I was inducing those errors by giving the macinabox produced VM a different name from the default. That begs two questions:

• Is it possible to use macinabox to produce multiple MacOS VMs?
  • Is the mechanism to be used for installing multiple VMs using macinabox described anywhere?  I thought I gad a good guess on how to do it but my method was obviously wrong.

Second question,  in the video, spaceinvader was able to just pass through the gpu and it was automatically recognized. I believe he was using an RX 480. I am using a Vega 64 (it is the secondary card, so no ROM should be needed)  and as soon as I associate it and start the VM,  the VM breaks so badly that even returning to VNC does not make it start anymore.  With the Vega64 passed through, upon start,  I can see an Apple logo and the system is stuck there. The only thing I see is the apple logo is very big, which means the resolution chosen is very low.

Is anybody aware of anything that needs to be done to a macinabox created VM in order to accomodate a Vega 64?

Thank you in advance for helping.

In response to the question I bolded... i don't think that's been well tested.. My 1st VM was totally as per video and works.. My 2nd fails.... 

"operation failed: unable to find any master var store for loader: /mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd"

On 1/15/2021 at 11:07 PM, zyke said:

Thanks for letting me know. I did search for it, just not on the forum itself, did not find anything indexed. I'll keep running Catalina for a while. :)

I suspect Ed is using a similar approach to GibMacOS script which downloads the Recovery installer from Apple's servers but when Apple changes versions of MacOS that are available then an update may be needed to Ed's docker?? @SpaceInvaderOne is that correct? 

(Have to say I am hugely impressed how much better this is than ALL previous methods of MacOS VMs).

My few suggestions for Ed -

1) would be nice if it was possible to specify VM HDD size in the same GBs that MacOS uses... ie 47GB in unRAID input gives 50.31GB in MacOS VM... I'd like my MacOS VMs with exact round GBs (picky I know!)

2) Docker should at least mention dependencies (I think either netcat or nc need to be installed from Nerdtools)

3) I suspect doing multiple VM installs isn't obviously easy.. I had to delete all Docker/Files-except existing VM and re-start to add BigSur after Catalina (and then got Catalina again!!)

4) option for Qcow2 containers... Not everyone has LOTS of SSD space

Edited by methanoid
add suggestion #4
On 1/19/2021 at 1:04 AM, RenatoEurope said:

I have not tried to pass an Nvidia GPU to a VM  but I had a hackintosh with an Nvidia 970. After you pass it through to the VM, enable Lilu and Whatevergreen on your opencore kext list and, from a OSX terminal you run the update.sh script you get from here: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update.

it normally did the trick for me. it will download the web driers and do all the black magic required.

Both Lilu and Whatevergreen have been enabled.

I tried both the script method and manually method to update driver. The VM won't boot if BOTH GPU is passed through AND web driver installed.

Basically, at this point, this VM will 

1. work without GTX 1050 Ti in VNC

2. work with GTX 1050 Ti passthrough, but no NV Web driver installed

3.  NOT boot with GTX 1050 Ti passthrough and Web driver (doesn't matter which method to installed it)

I have tried:

1. play with boot-args by adding "nvda_drv=1“, or "nvda_drv_vrl=1".

2. try install the web driver with SIP disabled/enabled; try install the web driver using terminal command method & manually downloaded package 

3. Change SMBIOS with different types of machines (tried Macpro 6,1  iMac 14,2  and iMac 10,1)

4. tried to edit Info.plist suggested here (Problem 4, Method 4) when using Macpro 6,1 SMBIOS.

At this point, I pretty much give up. I may be better off buying a RX 580 than spending time on making the spare 1050 Ti work.

Trying to get Big Sir installed. Get the first stage where you erase and name the drive, but then when I go to install it states it can not connect to the recovery server. No traffic getting through VMXNET3, though I have a Windows VM that works just fine. Also, Catalina comes up when I try and install. Any ideas on each? Thanks in advance, love your stuff SpaceInvaderOne!

Hello guys, i have read almost all this thread and i've done several passthroughs in windows and macos before. I have a GT 710 with a weird behavior with big sur. It shows the apple logo with the progress bar. Around 20% of the bar the screen went black and few seconds later i can see and move the mouse cursor but still black screen. I can even put the cursor in the text area for log in password, i can type the password and login (i can see the borders of the menus). This cards works well in a windows VM and i tried with the dumped vbios and downloaded from techpowerup. I've modified the vbios with the hex editor and intalled lilu and weg kexts. Here is my xml

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Macinabox BigSur</name>
  <uuid>************************</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Big Sur</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="BigSur.png" os="osx"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='13'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='14'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='15'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/08d76987-addd-49cd-acbf-8ca179782aaa_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/Macinabox BigSur/macos_disk.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='5' port='0x14'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x4'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:3c:49:bd'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='usb' managed='yes'>
      <source>
        <vendor id='0x1997'/>
        <product id='0x2433'/>
      </source>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='2'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='********************'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>