[Support] SpaceinvaderOne - Macinabox

Im trying to use the android emulator from Androidstudio as I do develop android apps.. under linux and windows vms I can do it no problem but macos reports "YOUR CPU DES NOT SUPPORT VT-X" Im running my VMs on threadripper..

any tip to make it work? im passing this qemu params

<qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='************************'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Skylake-Server,vendor=GenuineIntel,+hypervisor,+invtsc,kvm=on,+fma,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,+sse4a,+bmi1,+bmi2'/>
  </qemu:commandline>

On 3/28/2021 at 11:43 AM, mSedek said:

Im trying to use the android emulator from Androidstudio as I do develop android apps.. under linux and windows vms I can do it no problem but macos reports "YOUR CPU DES NOT SUPPORT VT-X" Im running my VMs on threadripper..

<qemu:arg value='Skylake-Server,vendor=GenuineIntel,+hypervisor,+invtsc,kvm=on,+fma,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,+sse4a,+bmi1,+bmi2'/>

Add +vmx and make sure kvm nested is on. Works for me on Intel.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:38 PM, daves said:

After installing the docker I am able to access the VirtManager.  The virt manager gives an error "The libvirtd service does not appear to be installed...."

I have tried just about everything including making a new libvirt.img file.  I am able to successfully create and run VMs from the VMS tab.

Same issue for me. I've used the old version of this container back in the day with no issue on the same server.

Ok so eventually it worked, but installed Catalina instead of Big Sur.

Edited by solojazz
Further progress, different error
On 3/29/2021 at 9:04 PM, Jagadguru said:

Add +vmx and make sure kvm nested is on. Works for me on Intel.

does not works, as soon as I pass the flag  +vmx  the network card stops working and also that video seems outdated and over complicated for something that should be overly simple..

anyways, I dont think is something about IF i am able to run nested VMS as I don't have any issue running nested vms in Windows or linux, my problem is with macOS and so my first question remains unaswered

9 hours ago, mSedek said:

does not works, as soon as I pass the flag  +vmx  the network card stops working and also that video seems outdated and over complicated for something that should be overly simple..

anyways, I dont think is something about IF i am able to run nested VMS as I don't have any issue running nested vms in Windows or linux, my problem is with macOS and so my first question remains unaswered

Here is my qemu args line: 

<qemu:arg value='IvyBridge,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+vmx,check'/>

And I am able to run nox player without a problem on my Catalina VM

On 3/30/2021 at 3:10 PM, solojazz said:

Same issue for me. I've used the old version of this container back in the day with no issue on the same server.

Ok so eventually it worked, but installed Catalina instead of Big Sur.

You got past "After installing the docker I am able to access the VirtManager.  The virt manager gives an error "The libvirtd service does not appear to be installed....""? What'd you do to fix it up?

1 hour ago, Jagadguru said:

Here is my qemu args line: 

<qemu:arg value='IvyBridge,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+vmx,check'/>

And I am able to run nox player without a problem on my Catalina VM

do you have a ryzen cpu?

On 3/28/2021 at 11:43 AM, mSedek said:

This will never work because macOS kernel nor the hypervisor for macOS support AMD-V (SVM) cpu feature. Basically put, anything that uses macOS's hypervisor requires Intel's vmx cpu feature.

• Like 1
On 3/31/2021 at 10:15 PM, Meorrow said:

You got past "After installing the docker I am able to access the VirtManager.  The virt manager gives an error "The libvirtd service does not appear to be installed....""? What'd you do to fix it up?

The web page still showed that but the VM worked.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:47 PM, Strom12 said:

Hello everybody, I need your expertise, please.

As described in the tutorial SpaceInvader One, I followed all the steps to install the MacOs Vm. If I start the VM and start the VNC, I can also boot the Catalina-opencore.img. When I press Enter to boot the image, the apple appears. However, there is no loading bar and nothing else happens. What am I doing wrong? Should I post the * .xml?

Thanks a lot!

@Space Invader One. You are my Unraid Hero 🙂 Thank you for all your Tutorials!!!

I'm experiencing this issue... Strom12 indicated they had solved their problem but never said how...can't find much info about this.

I'm trying to install BigSur (not Catalina), however it is behaving the exact same way where VNC connection shows a black screen. hitting enter shows the apple logo but nothing else happens and i can't get past this screen.

Edited by CmdrKeen
On 3/12/2021 at 5:49 AM, Crilith said:

After you change it to Method 2 and apply, and while the container is running, click the icon on the docker tab and click console.

Type

vi ../Macinabox/unraid.sh

Go to line 250 and press i to edit

change 001-86606 to 071-05432

press escape then :wq to save

Now reboot the docker.

Hi, it seems that in the meanwhile the product ID again changed (?) Because I made these adjustment and he cannot find this ID or rather according the logs its freezes at:

2021-04-03 12:19:08,755 Selected macOS Product: 071-05432

How can I find the new ID to download Big Sur?

Edit: Okay do not know which I have done different but after I tried it again it actually fetched the correct BaseSystem.img and now I can install Big Sur.

Edited by cap089
On 4/3/2021 at 6:37 AM, cap089 said:

Hi, it seems that in the meanwhile the product ID again changed (?) Because I made these adjustment and he cannot find this ID or rather according the logs its freezes at:

2021-04-03 12:19:08,755 Selected macOS Product: 071-05432

How can I find the new ID to download Big Sur?

Edit: Okay do not know which I have done different but after I tried it again it actually fetched the correct BaseSystem.img and now I can install Big Sur.

macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 is 071-14766. Bear in mind, it does take awhile to download though. check the logs in:

mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox/macinabox_BigSur.log

On 4/2/2021 at 11:45 AM, CmdrKeen said:

I'm trying to install BigSur (not Catalina), however it is behaving the exact same way where VNC connection shows a black screen. hitting enter shows the apple logo but nothing else happens and i can't get past this screen.

My post is only one page back...  Give it a try.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:04 PM, pavo said:

This will never work because macOS kernel nor the hypervisor for macOS support AMD-V (SVM) cpu feature. Basically put, anything that uses macOS's hypervisor requires Intel's vmx cpu feature.

Never say never.. say "up until now is not available"... anyways just downloaded genymotion (virtualbox based) and is working like a charm for my android studio high end SENIOR LEVEL development..

Edited by mSedek
On 4/5/2021 at 4:06 AM, RevelRob said:

macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 is 071-14766. Bear in mind, it does take awhile to download though. check the logs in:

mnt/user/appdata/macinabox/macinabox/macinabox_BigSur.log

I thought I had posted here about update a few days ago but it seems i didnt!

Well I pushed out a fix for Macinabox over Easter and now it will pull BigSur correctly so if you update the container all should be good.

Now both download methods in the docker template will pull Bigsur. Method 1 is quicker as it downloads base image as opposed to method 2 which pulls the InstallAssistant.pkg and extracts that.

• Like 2

Hey guys, I just updated OpenCore to 0.6.8 on Big Sur and run into a issue. 

I'm not able to reset NVRAM over the boot menu. The function just doesn't have any effect no matter how often I tried. 

I ended up creating a new nvram file in "/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/XXXXX_VARS-pure-efi.fd" after which Nvram was reseted and 0.6.8 booted. But doing so produced a few errors and I needed to reboot unraid. 

Anyone knows why the boot menu "nvram reset" is broken? or another solution without having to reboot unraid like a qemu cli command? 

Hello I got a quick question.

I am unable to get sound within my MacOS Big Sur VM.

I added the onboard sound card (Asrock X570 with 3900X). But within the MacOS my sound devices are empty. I already played around with kext files and efi driver files but nothing seems to work... Attached a screenshot which shows how I set it up. I also tried to change the first sound card to the nvidia one and the AMD onboard to the second one. But nothing seems to work. Even the nvidia sound (hdmi) wont show up...)

AMD MacVM 01.PNG

5 minutes ago, RiDDiX said:

Hello I got a quick question.

I am unable to get sound within my MacOS Big Sur VM.

I added the onboard sound card (Asrock X570 with 3900X). But within the MacOS my sound devices are empty. I already played around with kext files and efi driver files but nothing seems to work... Attached a screenshot which shows how I set it up. I also tried to change the first sound card to the nvidia one and the AMD onboard to the second one. But nothing seems to work. Even the nvidia sound (hdmi) wont show up...)

AMD MacVM 01.PNG

Follow this tutorial to enable sound https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/audio.html

9 hours ago, RiDDiX said:

I already tried these steps but still no luck with hdmi sound and onboard sound. Just my headphone usb dongle works emoji22.png

Since both sound devices are not working you either have a separate issue effecting each device or one issue taking out both.

I probably have a very similar setup (AsRock x570 Phantom Gaming X) board. I am using HDMI audio on both my Mac and Win VMs because that way as I switch monitor input the audio source is switched at the same time. I take the audio output from my monitor and pass it to my speakers/headphones.
The only issue is when using Mac with HDMI audio you loose volume control so I paid $19 for Sound Control which gives fixes a lot of Mac audio shortcomings.
Make sure you have your video card passed through correctly (as is often discussed in this forum).

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Make sure you have multifunction enabled correctly and are assigning to the same bus. As per my example above;

bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x0' ---> bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'

bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x1' ---> bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'

Your card looks like it is on bus 0x0b, I can't see where it is assigned too as you haven't posted your XML.

Remember the GUI will not set this up correctly, it will not use multifunction and will put them on different destination busses.

As for both audio devices. They should show up easily. You just need Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC kexts. I have read a few posts reporting issues with the onboard Realtek chip, until adding boot-args alcid=1 or alcid=11.

Make sure you have the latest versions of the kexts as they are adding new layout-ids all the time.

Just something to start with. Let us know how you go. If no luck, I should be able to pass through my onboard card and take a look for you. Just might be a day or two till I have a chance.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cat2devnull said:

Since both sound devices are not working you either have a separate issue effecting each device or one issue taking out both.

I probably have a very similar setup (AsRock x570 Phantom Gaming X) board. I am using HDMI audio on both my Mac and Win VMs because that way as I switch monitor input the audio source is switched at the same time. I take the audio output from my monitor and pass it to my speakers/headphones.
The only issue is when using Mac with HDMI audio you loose volume control so I paid $19 for Sound Control which gives fixes a lot of Mac audio shortcomings.
Make sure you have your video card passed through correctly (as is often discussed in this forum).

<driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>

Make sure you have multifunction enabled correctly and are assigning to the same bus. As per my example above;

bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x0' ---> bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'

bus='0x12' slot='0x00' function='0x1' ---> bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x1'

Your card looks like it is on bus 0x0b, I can't see where it is assigned too as you haven't posted your XML.

Remember the GUI will not set this up correctly, it will not use multifunction and will put them on different destination busses.

As for both audio devices. They should show up easily. You just need Lilu, WhateverGreen and AppleALC kexts. I have read a few posts reporting issues with the onboard Realtek chip, until adding boot-args alcid=1 or alcid=11.

Make sure you have the latest versions of the kexts as they are adding new layout-ids all the time.

Just something to start with. Let us know how you go. If no luck, I should be able to pass through my onboard card and take a look for you. Just might be a day or two till I have a chance.

Thank you for the clearification. I try it by setting up my xml.

This is my actual xml file. 

This is my corrected xml I hope it'll work! Thank you.

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>Macinabox BigSur</name>
  <uuid>f99ca344-b927-4632-b4f5-549c3cba4124</uuid>
  <description>MacOS Big Sur</description>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Windows 10" icon="default.png" os="osx"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>16777216</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>16777216</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-4.2'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/mnt/user/system/custom_ovmf/Macinabox_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/f99ca344-b927-4632-b4f5-549c3cba4124_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none' migratable='on'>
    <topology sockets='1' dies='1' cores='4' threads='2'/>
    <cache mode='passthrough'/>
    <feature policy='require' name='topoext'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source dev='/dev/nvme0n1'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x8'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x9'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0xa'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='5' port='0x14'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x4'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='6' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='6' port='0xb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:e7:7b:c0'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0b' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <rom file='/mnt/user/isos/vbios/GeForce GT 630 OEM'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0d' slot='0x00' function='0x4'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0b' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x1'/>
    </hostdev>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x0d' slot='0x00' function='0x3'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <memballoon model='none'/>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,kvm=on,vendor=GenuineIntel,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,+pcid,+ssse3,+sse4.2,+popcnt,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,check'/>
</domain>

Edited by RiDDiX
On 4/7/2021 at 9:49 PM, mSedek said:

Never say never.. say "up until now is not available"... anyways just downloaded genymotion (virtualbox based) and is working like a charm for my android studio high end SENIOR LEVEL development..

Because virtualbox provides its own hypervisor cpu instruction set. I was talking about macOS's native hypervisor. Until someone writes a kernel extension to add AMD-V (SVM) support to the kernel and the hypervisor framework for macOS, anything that uses the native macOS hypervisor will not work.