Storage questions

Hi, I have some questions I am hoping to get some direction on. I have a 4u chasis with 15 disks. running on an asus board and ryzen CPU. I have maxed all these drives out and I am looking for a good way to expand externally that will use the current unraid server and will be able to expand the current array I have in the main chassis. I would like to avoid USB drives if possible. If it is not possible to connect a disk shelf or a second chassis to the main to expand the current unraid array is there a way to add the drives from a second Freenas (or some other free OS) that would allow chassis 1 to see it so I can add it to my Plex.  Basically if I have 2 15x drive chassis and Chassis 1 has unraid and chassis 2 doesnt. can I make my plex see it or make Unraid see it so I can make the folder available? i can't seem to find a way to allow unraid to show a network folder thats not on the internal array. If anyone could answer either of they pathways.. Expand what I have or Link a network storage, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

4 hours ago, Benson said:

I connect a 2U 12bay (with expander) chassis external thr LSI HBA with 2 meter cable. You can freely assign those disks to array or anywhere as usual.

Or you may connect a 2nd Unraid or NAS and mount by UD in NFS or SMB as individuals share.

would you mind posting a few photos of your hardware, and if I understand you correctly, the 2u 12bay is seen by the unraid server as available hard drives to add to the array?

23 hours ago, tmoran000 said:

2u 12bay is seen by the unraid server as available hard drives to add to the array?

Yes.

Below are the inside of the 2U ( mainboard not use now and ready to turn back in standalone ). Expander have two cable connect to LSI HBA and three cable connect to blackplane.

2.thumb.png.12297ea908979cbc0de7d30c293ce9a0.png

Edited by Benson
  • Like 1
You can use external enclosures without any issues, but recommend using SAS, you can even use homemade enclosure:   515341522_2017-08-2413_30_07.thumb.jpg.c67079fac8ee05df2a98ee05a0d291c0.jpg

Hi Johnnie.black,

What is the exact model name / number of this expander card you are using ? It seems it has its own dedicated molex connector so you dont need any connection on the pcie for power, which is nice and handy.

Also how did you power the sas card in thta pcie slot bracket that connects to your main unraid . Or is is it just some sort of ex to int passthru adapter. Cant see from image

tnx

46 minutes ago, glennv said:

What is the exact model name / number of this expander card you are using ? It seems it has its own dedicated molex connector so you dont need any connection on the pcie for power, which is nice and handy.

Intel RES2SV240

47 minutes ago, glennv said:

Or is is it just some sort of ex to int passthru adapter.

It's just an adapter like this:

image.png.21f9108d6d85b97e49bfbb369f7e8df5.png

• Like 1